Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Looks good but still a long way's away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
QLZD and ZDL do the same thing, but ZDL's easier to find so I use that one.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally I hate how ZDL can never remember what folder I was last in, always going back to its home folder whenever I click "open file". Makes using it more of a chore than just dragging the files onto the executable.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I drag n drop wads stuff into ZDL, that's how I do. With SmoothDoom, sound effects, music packs if applicable, wads, gameplay mods, it makes me breakfast in the morning, remembers to call, it's quietly charming,

Anybody remember Heat.net? Heat.net folks. I used to play Duke3D and Quake 2 and stuff on there. The ol "ten" thing advertised in the Duke box was done when I got broadband in 99 I think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just drag and drop wads onto gzdoom.exe :effort:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CJacobs posted:

I just drag and drop wads onto gzdoom.exe :effort:

Yeah, me too, I'm just looking for ONE program that saves configurations and stuff like that. For example, "Brutal Doom with Going Down" or "Demonsteele with Scythe 2", stuff like that.

I found Rocket Launcher, which has a mac version coming soon, so that's nice :toot:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, me too, I'm just looking for ONE program that saves configurations and stuff like that. For example, "Brutal Doom with Going Down" or "Demonsteele with Scythe 2", stuff like that.

I found Rocket Launcher, which has a mac version coming soon, so that's nice :toot:

Command line arguments on a shortcut would do the trick, I'd think.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I do is, whenever I download a gameplay mod I add it to the auto-load section of the ini file for gzdoom, commented out. That way when I want to use one I can just open it up and remove the comment tag on it, and replace it when I'm done. I am old fashioned.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

QLZD has that, near the bottom there's a bit called profiles, you have your list, you type in a name and hit save and you can then select it from a drop-down menu and hit load and it'll bring it up.

Edit: Rocket Launcher looks a bit too busy for my tastes, but if it has Mac support coming and that's super important, then go for it. It looks like one of the few launchers that does have it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 9, 2016

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So, quite a while ago I set a tumblr crawler loose on Rekall.me and set my desktop to cycle through the images in the resultant folder. One of the pictures that I have been seeing for at least ten seconds a week is this image clearly taken from a level building software. The complexity of the level convinces me that it is from or for a 2.5d FPS, although it looks like some room-over-room is going on in a few places.

It reminded me of Cheogsh, so I loaded both wads up and checked the allmap, but no.

Anybody have any idea what game this is from or level this is?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Copper Vein posted:

So, quite a while ago I set a tumblr crawler loose on Rekall.me and set my desktop to cycle through the images in the resultant folder. One of the pictures that I have been seeing for at least ten seconds a week is this image clearly taken from a level building software. The complexity of the level convinces me that it is from or for a 2.5d FPS, although it looks like some room-over-room is going on in a few places.

It reminded me of Cheogsh, so I loaded both wads up and checked the allmap, but no.

That's Strife, with the levels that make up the game overlaid as if the exits between levels line up.

edit: The parts that tipped me off were the warehouse and docks in the bottom middle (part of the power station level), the castle and temple in the bottom right (first boss is in the temple and the resistance moves into the castle once you beat it), and the optional diamond-shaped warehouse in the middle right where you can get the Reaver

edit 2: drat it's crazy how much of this game I'm remembering just from the map even though I only played it once a couple of years ago

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 9, 2016

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's Strife, isn't it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cobweb Heart posted:

So did Adrian Carmack ever do, uh, anything again? I think the look of Doom's textures and sprites (and clay models) are an enormous part of what makes Doom so ageless and incredible, like one of the most vital and integral elements of the game, and I feel like he probably didn't start sucking all of a sudden but I NEVER see anyone talk about him or mention a single thing he's done since Doom. Not even paintings or other non-game stuff. Did he stop making anything new at all? Or get an exclusive job somewhere I didn't hear about? Wikipedia says he runs a "Golf and Spa" resort in Ireland. C'mon!

EDIT: OH, he was in on that new game that Romero was trying to trick people into funding.
He's way quieter than the other Id guys, and pretty much vanished from the public eye after he was effectively fired from Id after Doom 3 in an attempt to force him to sell his stake in the studio for less than he felt it was worth. I think that case was eventually privately settled, and given he bought that spa resort in Ireland for "considerably more" than the guide price he probably did quite well out of it!

I tried looking up what was was doing shortly after John Carmack left Id, and apparently he was going to be contributing art to a Hidden Object game that I don't think ever got released?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

Well, I never played Strife beyond what was on a PC Gamer demo disc in '95, so that's why I didn't recognize anything in the picture. Thanks for the quick answers, guys.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

QLZD and ZDL do the same thing, but ZDL's easier to find so I use that one.

Yeah I've never made any effort to announce or display or whatever QLZD anywhere other than SA. It was just this little thing I made to make it easier to set up coop games with my friends. I'm happy a bunch of people here are getting use out of it. :kimchi:

There'll be an OSX version, one of these days. The problem is that all cross-platform (or even platform-specific) GUI frameworks are abortions that I pretty much refuse to touch for something I write for fun. I got my eye on a potential winner though.

PSA: It's not exactly obvious, given the name, but QLZD supports every major port for at least the basics. I use it for chocolate, prboom+, and zandro regularly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Copper Vein posted:

Well, I never played Strife beyond what was on a PC Gamer demo disc in '95, so that's why I didn't recognize anything in the picture. Thanks for the quick answers, guys.
You aught to check it out next time the remaster's on sale. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's fascinating to see the Doom engine turned into an RPG.

In nicer news, Gearbox ended up paying TerminX way more than he would have been getting from continued Megaton Edition royalties to help out a little on the new release. Nice to see that he's not going to get TOO hosed over by the Android cancellation stuff.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

You aught to check it out next time the remaster's on sale. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's fascinating to see the Doom engine turned into an RPG.

In nicer news, Gearbox ended up paying TerminX way more than he would have been getting from continued Megaton Edition royalties to help out a little on the new release. Nice to see that he's not going to get TOO hosed over by the Android cancellation stuff.

Oh that's pretty great! Always nice to see a silver lining :)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

You really should give it a try sometime. It's pretty amazing the stuff they did with it, even if it features probably the worst bullet sponge hitscan enemies in the later parts of the game.

Has anyone done a gameplay wad that changes the hitscan enemies in Strife to fire projectiles? If not, I know what my next project is going to be.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

Man, it's kinda sad that the first thing he thinks to do with the money is buy gifts for his family. (Not that it's a bad thing to treat your family but maybe it would be better to save some of that cash for the inevitable rainy day. You know that Gearbox is going to dump him the second they get everything they need from him.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Man, it's kinda sad that the first thing he thinks to do with the money is buy gifts for his family. (Not that it's a bad thing to treat your family but maybe it would be better to save some of that cash for the inevitable rainy day. You know that Gearbox is going to dump him the second they get everything they need from him.)

You've never been poor before, have you?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first thing I would do is buy a duke burger

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

buying gifts for people that you normally can't buy gifts for is a very common thing that those who are lower than average on income will tend to do if they get a solid bit of money. it's kind of natural, and is a simple way for someone who is frequently down in the dumps to feel good and feel like things are improving. i mean, yeah, gearbox is probably gonna ratfuck him the first chance they get, but it's expected for the guy to do a little spending.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Potsticker posted:

You really should give it a try sometime. It's pretty amazing the stuff they did with it, even if it features probably the worst bullet sponge hitscan enemies in the later parts of the game.

Has anyone done a gameplay wad that changes the hitscan enemies in Strife to fire projectiles? If not, I know what my next project is going to be.

Please do this! I love that game but this would be a massive improvement.

Also for anyone that hasn't played it, Strife is a lot of fun and is really impressive for its time.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Potsticker posted:

This is a thing I am bound and determined to do with every Doom mod I make that includes any DECORATE. I yanked the tracer sprite out of PB, and have leaned a little on its code to figure what good speeds and such are. Now I just need to get Death/XDeath/Crash straightened out in my mind, so I know exactly what poo poo to throw in each of them. My little test wad for messing around with that stuff has tracers throwing sparks when they hit anything right now, including fleshy monsters, and that might be an issue in anything I release publicly.

Speaking of public releases, I'm scrambling to finish up my maps for the Vinesauce contest. As soon as I have it all packaged and uploaded for that, I'll link a copy here for folks to try out. I will warn y'all now that it's very much a GZDoom mod, and monster and item placement will be very haphazard in the initial release.

Also I haven't changed all the hitscanners to projectile throwers yet, because loving deadlines, man.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd take projectile and one/two hit kills over "hitscan, but you have a bunch of health" any day.

So, I loving LOVE Contra/Metal Slug Doom :allears:

b00n
May 8, 2007
I have seen variants of hitscan that use tracers to show you where the shot came from.

My main problem with hitscan is that I often can't tell where it's coming from, so this is actually a pretty good way of handling it in my opinion.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Is there a good front-end for gzdoom, and handling various wads and pk mods? Both PC and os x friendly would be preferred, but not totally necessary.

There are dozens of front ends. Some are listed there.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Frontend

By the way, here's a cool map for GZDoom. It's nice to see people can still sometimes do something else than a weapon replacement or a monster randomizer.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/90478-released-plutonium-sandpit-by-kristian-aro/

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9d1zHAA3w

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW6P3BnirWA

D O O M W A V E リッピングと涙 1993

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite Doom launcher is ZDoom Executor. It's for other engines as well, of course. It's as easy to use as ZDL but not quite as lightweight, with stuff like demo recording and the fact it can remember filepaths.

http://zdexe.sourceforge.net/

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

I use QLZD and it suits my needs except that I can't drag archives into it. I have to unpack everything first.

I did take a look at other launchers earlier in the year, but the others that I tried seemed to want to be a wad browser and wouldn't be convenient and quick to use until I set them like iTunes.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Well I derped and didn't notice the whole time zone issue with the vinesauce contest, but here's what I was going to submit:
IntoTheDepths.pk3

Also, I was just thinking about one of the rules, and now I'm curious to know what the hell people are doing that they had to set a 100MB limit on each submission.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Double post to say that now that I'm not scrambling to meet a deadline, I've started work on a mod that replaces all hitscan with projectiles. This includes the player's arsenal, so unfortunately it will be incompatible with basically any gameplay mods.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
hitscan enemies aren't that bad so long as they're shooting at a target that isn't the player's location at that point in time. player location a half second or so ago works p well

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doom did pretty well with hitscan enemies in that it's the guys that go down in just a couple shots. Especially once you've moved on from the pistol.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I just write a one-line .bat file.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, this is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflYl5w5_ns

Download

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I beta tested this, it's a drat fine map and definitely worth a play. Use Eduke32 on Software mode for it if you can.

Also in other Duke news, there's a teaser trailer for episode 3 of the AMC TC to check out (trailer was made by Loke who's done some great maps for the TC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=870tBg5nvhI

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Copper Vein posted:

vv I don't know where it's from; found it while wading through @doom_txt

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

ZDCMP2?