Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Th Eagles aren't mysterious.
They are Maiar and thier Progeny, attuned to manwe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh, I have no doubt that they exist, and are maiaistic in nature, but I question their role in the legendarium and wish to posit that their appearance in some stories is... representative of a different phenomenon.

IM TRYING TO BACKREAD HERE

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eagles from the machine mate.

Eagles from the machine .

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Radio! posted:

Honestly the real question now is half-elves: does their junk change if they choose the doom of Man.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The eagles, man... the fuckin eagles

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*60 page spanking montage*

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Bros,

Morgoth's Ring, "Myths Transformed", VIII, pp. 409–411 posted:

In the last of his notes on this topic, dated by his son to late 1950s, Tolkien decided that the Great Eagles were common animals that had been "taught language by the Valar, and raised to a higher level — but they still had no fëar."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

elise the great posted:

Ffff come on guys, incest is canon. Like... boring levels of canon.

Seriously you guys have no idea how many dumb loving hypotheses and historiographical analyses are constantly rattling around in my head about the Tolkien legendarium. Sadly I am forced to keep them to myself because people either a) don't care or b) are genuine Tolkien Scholars who froth at the lips whenever I start talking.

There's another option but it's even worse: c) they really liked the Hobbit movies.

About a year ago I got thrown out of a pub for fighting with the loremaster for Shadows of Mordor, who I met through a mutual friend, about the nature and function of the Eagles. I am THE WORST FAN but either way I'm gonna backread this thread from the beginning before I start gargling my own trash theories where humans can see.

please please please post more theories and analysis, I would love you forever

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1950s jrrt is at best D level cannon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sstrickl
Feb 16, 2011

elise the great posted:

"Hey, the Tolkien thread is aware of your puntl post and still respects you!"

"THERE'S A TOLKIEN THREAD???"

This exchange, right here, was when years of reading and enjoying (and lurking) the Tolkien thread paid off. :toot:

Especially since I saw the first mention of the post at work, went, "That sounds like..." and once I was out the door I checked and went, "Yep, of course it's Elise." I know how many random Tolkien-related asides of similar nature I've enjoyed over the years from Elise, and now it was finally time to SHARE THE WEALTH DIRECTLY. :eng101:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I demand Elise shitpost here!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Weird that all the LoTR is is literature and reader response has been the norm in evaluating literature but we're still so obsessed with whatever Tolkien's intent was even though he was evolving all the time. If he hadn't died, maybe he would have sent another letter saying "the Eagles were from heaven, which was Valor".

What I'm saying is, who cares what Tolkien said, the ents and entwives were obviously an allegory about agriculture, which is so much hotter than incest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tree Bucket posted:

As for the visuals, my only gripe is, as others have noted, the lack of agriculture in Gondor. Moria, Minas Tirith, Barad Dur etc are all just magnificent.
They didn't route through many places which were going mad with crops except the Shire and maybe around Bree, which was probably a lot of it. Also it was winter, which didn't help anything.

What I did find a bit interesting in the backstory is that the entire reason why Gondor is in the toilet like this involves a massive plague some time prior to the books - before even The Hobbit - and presumably if it hadn't been for that plague killing a ton of people, Sauron probably couldn't have beat Gondor with the forces he had at hand, evil ghosts and trolls and racism elementals aside.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's Sauron, the lord of underhanded bullshit, he probably made the plague during his tenure as the Necromancer for just that purpose.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How dare you accuse Tolkien of allegory !!!

Interestingly for his professed allegory aversion Saruman is a pretty 1:1 allegory for early 20th century populist leader including propaganda and racism and so on

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

euphronius posted:

How dare you accuse Tolkien of allegory !!!

Interestingly for his professed allegory aversion Saruman is a pretty 1:1 allegory for early 20th century populist leader including propaganda and racism and so on
I figured it was allegory in the sense of "Saruman represents Liberalism/the Chamberlain government/the Labour party" as opposed to "Saruman demonstrates the human tendency to rationalize evil and go from high ideals into brutal-rear end crimes" that Tolkien was speaking against. Similarly Aragorn does not demonstrate much or any elitist behavior - I recall his internal monologue at the start of The Two Towers said he was planning to go with Frodo and Sam and he was presumably fine with the prospect of the line of Isildur ending in some hole in Mordor if it got the Ring taken care of.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Nessus posted:

They didn't route through many places which were going mad with crops except the Shire and maybe around Bree, which was probably a lot of it. Also it was winter, which didn't help anything.

What I did find a bit interesting in the backstory is that the entire reason why Gondor is in the toilet like this involves a massive plague some time prior to the books - before even The Hobbit - and presumably if it hadn't been for that plague killing a ton of people, Sauron probably couldn't have beat Gondor with the forces he had at hand, evil ghosts and trolls and racism elementals aside.

It's not just Gondor. Eriador is also very depopulated due to "plagues out of Angmar" and can't provide many allies. Gondor is also messed up due to the Kin-Strife (really racist vs somewhat less racist civil war) and the Wainriders.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I'm reading the Lord of the Rings again after 10 years (first time read it in middle school to look cool by reading thick books and retained nothing) but now that I like to read and have gone back I'm having trouble following. I don't really like fantasy n poo poo so I'm not used to these huge time lines and lineages and I'm wondering if I should be holding places with my finger to remind myself of who the gaffers great grandfather is or whatever, and also the map page that tells me nothing (even though there are thorough directions of the path they're taking).

It's my light reading before bed, and I'm not even through book one yet... Will I be lost later if i just have fun reading the surface stuff like "lost in forest, two of four Hobbits stuck in tree, rhyme man saves them" or can I keep on keeping on like that? I just feel like names and places keep getting brought up that are written like I should know them but I don't.

I'm really enjoying it but I have like a thousand pages to go, but if I get to part three and it's all son of this guy who slain this guy who came from this place in part one, I'd want to wait until I have time to really appreciate it and concentrate more.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everybody's experience is different but I would say this is a series where savoring the texture is important, maybe more so than the story even. It was the author's specialty, wordsmithing and sculpting language and building up intricate histories. Don't shortchange it.

(And it gets more formal and lo-and-forsooth as it approaches the end, not less.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Nah mate, just enjoy it. If you want to dig down later you can but there's not going to be a test or anything. Have fun.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

life is a joke posted:

I'm reading the Lord of the Rings again after 10 years (first time read it in middle school to look cool by reading thick books and retained nothing) but now that I like to read and have gone back I'm having trouble following. I don't really like fantasy n poo poo so I'm not used to these huge time lines and lineages and I'm wondering if I should be holding places with my finger to remind myself of who the gaffers great grandfather is or whatever, and also the map page that tells me nothing (even though there are thorough directions of the path they're taking).

It's my light reading before bed, and I'm not even through book one yet... Will I be lost later if i just have fun reading the surface stuff like "lost in forest, two of four Hobbits stuck in tree, rhyme man saves them" or can I keep on keeping on like that? I just feel like names and places keep getting brought up that are written like I should know them but I don't.

I'm really enjoying it but I have like a thousand pages to go, but if I get to part three and it's all son of this guy who slain this guy who came from this place in part one, I'd want to wait until I have time to really appreciate it and concentrate more.

Part of the fun of LOTR is trying to figure out who ancient person is who just from context clues. But you don't need to understand the history -- the hobbits don't, and they're the main POV characters. Memorizing long lineages isn't required.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Actually, if you can't recreate at least one of the family trees in the appendix from memory, I'm going to flunk you.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The greatest joy of LotR for me is that the first time I read them, I only understood the story bits, and most of the rest went completely over my head... but upon a later re-reading, I connected a few dots about world events, started to recognize the absurdity and unreliability of the hobbit POVs, and got dragged into this huge incredible world that is a mystery even to its own inhabitants and gives itself up only in momentary satisfying glimpses.

Which is to say: skip the songs if you like, don't worry about the mythology yet, and look at lots of art and illustrations if you're a visual person, so that you can start to get your hooks into the world.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

life is a joke posted:

First half of FOTR is probably the slowest start, though it does payoff later. Are you sure you're not reading the Silmarillion by accident, though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I wouldn't worry about it, just keep reading dude. It's all fairly explicit in the sense of "what you see is what you get" - it's not like Game of Thrones where you have to read between the lines from several POVs before really getting what's going on (and even then you can read it several times and completely miss something).

As others have said, it's mainly from the Hobbits' POV and they're pretty clueless about the wider world and its history. The reader being in the same boat is a totally valid way to read it.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Aww thanks fellows :unsmith:. I think it's a really fun read so I'll just keep on. I was worried I didn't have the right mind for it cause I usually read nonfiction or less dense fiction. Looking forward to finishing it this round, hopefully I'll get to read it again next year and absorb more info, and experience the texture.

Also I never seen the movies, which is a benefit to me cause everything is unexpected. In my mind gandalf sometimes looks like Ian McKellen and Frodo looks like Elijah Wood but besides that it feels new.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 10, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Most of us think they're very well cast so that's not a bad thing.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Data Graham posted:

Most of us think they're very well cast so that's not a bad thing.

With that one glaring exception...

Seriously, did anyone at all like Hugo Weaving as Elrond?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait, there are people who didn't like him?

I thought he was perfect right from the first flashback scene :shrug: If there's any person alive who looks more "elvish" I don't know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Liv Tyler i thought was beyond perfect.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Data Graham posted:

Wait, there are people who didn't like him?

I thought he was perfect right from the first flashback scene :shrug: If there's any person alive who looks more "elvish" I don't know.

When he was announced I was a bit :crossarms:

I actually think they went a bit too stern and aloof with Elrond's portrayal, though I totally get what they were going for. I can't imagine anyone else as Elrond at this point though.

Seconded that Liv Tyler was perfectly cast as Arwen, and I'm going to add Cate Blanchett as Galadriel too. The Mirror scene was just :tviv:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

webmeister posted:

When he was announced I was a bit :crossarms:

I actually think they went a bit too stern and aloof with Elrond's portrayal, though I totally get what they were going for. I can't imagine anyone else as Elrond at this point though.

Seconded that Liv Tyler was perfectly cast as Arwen, and I'm going to add Cate Blanchett as Galadriel too. The Mirror scene was just :tviv:

I will forever hate how they destroyed Blanchett's performance. All they needed was a background fade to black and some illumination on her. Instead they overdid it and lost the majesty and tragedy of the speech.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I think they did that with Denethor too, in a few scenes. Like when he goes full out "Flee! Flee for your liiives!" (which was actually pretty good) and immediately gets knocked out by Gandalf in front of everyone (that part was funny but not really in a good way). You'd think at least one of Denethor's bodyguards would have objected.

But his 100m dash and leap from the top of the hill while on fire... :captainpop:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ynglaur posted:

I will forever hate how they destroyed Blanchett's performance. All they needed was a background fade to black and some illumination on her. Instead they overdid it and lost the majesty and tragedy of the speech.

This. Another friend of mine can't even talk about the movie without saying how much he hates that scene. It's the voice processing that kills it for him; he says they turned her into a Dalek.

I don't mind it that much myself, but I do agree they could have done it a lot better.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The movies were very unimaginative, looked like World of Warcraft and cut all the cool parts where Tolkien dwells on bucolic landscapes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Except they were all filmed like 4 years before World of Warcraft came out :psyduck:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You're crazy if you don't think uruk-hai look like they do in the movies

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The way the movies did the White Hand was super excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Please give me the tl;dr version of Christopher T.'s objections to the films.