Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Teddybear posted:

And pretty rightfully so. Univision probably had no legal liability for the existing content. They took it down in the fear that a new standard might be made where hosting the archive may be considered publication and leave them liable. Which is dumb.

Yep, I agree. It sucks.

https://twitter.com/jordansarge/status/774467409260544000

Very :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well basketofdeplorables is trending on Twitter now. ffs what a needless unforced error this is, the last thing we need is for potentially reluctant Trump supporters to suddenly have a rallying cry with the full on racist segments of the supporters. It doesn't matter that she's right, get ready for a storm.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well basketofdeplorables is trending on Twitter now. ffs what a needless unforced error this is, the last thing we need is for potentially reluctant Trump supporters to suddenly have a rallying cry with the full on racist segments of the supporters. It doesn't matter that she's right, get ready for a storm.
Oh no trending on Twitter at 1 AM EST surely this is doom for Hillary.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dr Christmas posted:

People will certainly say, and probably are already saying, that Hillary's comment is as bad as Romney's "47%" comment.

This is a cycle where a candidate asked the Russians to hack the opposing candidate and wasn't sunk. I don't think this comment will be mentioned within a couple of weeks.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It really doesn't matter.

And not in the "lol nothing matters" sense. A bunch of right-wingers whining for a weekend won't affect the race, and September 11th coverage will drown it out come Monday.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

This is the moment Clinton lost the election.

She's done.

https://twitter.com/rubycramer/status/774426188274102272

Yeah, because over half the country totally doesn't already believe this about most of Trump's supporters.:waycool:

Look at how much you think your views are normal.

e: This is exactly what Clinton needs to do more of if she wants to maximize returns for herself and the Dems in November, actually. Her biggest weakness is the perception of her as wishy-washy, too scripted, too overly political, etc. What she said here is awesome. Welcome GOP hatred, and younger voters will turn out in droves.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 10, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Spacebump posted:

This is a cycle where a candidate asked the Russians to hack the opposing candidate and wasn't sunk. I don't think this comment will be mentioned within a couple of weeks.

Dude, you know there's a completely double standard with regards to things Trump says vs things Hillary says. Things he says that get forgotten would sink her.

Trump says far worse poo poo on an hourly basis but the media is going to run their false equivalency directive into the ground.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 10, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dude, you know there's a completely double standard with regards to things Trump says vs things Hillary says. Things he says that get forgotten would sink her.

Trump says far worse poo poo on an hourly basis but the media is going to run their false equivalency directive into the ground.

Clinton's response should be, "Trump's supporters include David Duke and a bunch of other KKK members and fascists. Republicans need to deal with it. I stand by what I said."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Which is why this is timed perfectly. If it goes badly for them, Sunday is going to reset the story and they'll have Monday to get the media talking about something else. If it goes well, then they can keep pushing it on Monday. Though, a lot of this depends on this being a planned course of attack, rather than a completely off the cuff remark. But considering how she has been attempting to hit Trump on his alt-right support, I would be shocked if her surrogates don't already have their talking points and directives for tomorrow.

Really, the only thing that could be a gaffe was saying "half" instead of "a significant portion". That would let her better push the case of the republican party being held hostage by the Alt-Right, as opposed to the majority of the party being Alt-Right racists.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bleh. Unforced errors won't change demographics. Pointing out that racists like Trump won't hurt her with minorities. Stop freaking out when our politicians tell the truth and crybabies get mad at getting called out.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I mean if reporters were in the room it was planned. She's done bad turns of phrases before that might be slips but I don't think she can really be baited into something she doesn't want to talk about.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I mean if reporters were in the room it was planned. She's done bad turns of phrases before that might be slips but I don't think she can really be baited into something she doesn't want to talk about.

This and the fact that the "deplorables" comment fits right in with the alt right line of attack suggests it's totally planned and coordinated.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I caught up with this thread completely for the first time in months. Hard to keep up when there are dozens of pages a day about what crazy thing Trump did, or a derail about barbecue.

I wanted to talk about how Trump has kind of changed how I view the role of media in elections. At least before now people were always talking about money in politics and how it basically controls everything. Obviously money plays a big role in some areas but Trump is defying the idea that you need to spend a lot to make headway. He's putting down basically nothing. Didn't in the primary, isn't in the general. Its not a winning strategy but he's still polling way higher than I think anyone would of predicted given his spending and lopsided focus on non-battleground states.

What I find really fascinating though is the story of poor little Jeb!, who sunk massive funds into his primary campaign and did terrible. Is he really that bad of a candidate? No, not compared to what Republicans usually field, but he was another Bush. That's what the media painted him as and Jeb didn't try to fight that at all. He didn't carve out any identity for himself that people wanted to pay attention to. So it didn't matter how much he spent on ads and rallies; the media didn't pay attention to Jeb, and as a result nobody else did. What attention he got was usually negative, saying he would be more of the same which people didn't want. He got buried by almost all the focus being on Trump and others while he just stood in the shadows shrugging.

On one hand I'm glad to see that you really can't buy your way into the presidency, but the degree to which the media controls the perception of the candidates is startling.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I'll say that this better be a signal of a concerted strategy. She needs to see it through. Because if she suddenly starts to back off and say how she's sorry or some poo poo then it'll be obvious that it was a gently caress up.

It's retarded but using the term "half" makes it sound worse. Should have just said a large amount.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Personally I like that she insulted the white supremacists

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Which is why this is timed perfectly. If it goes badly for them, Sunday is going to reset the story and they'll have Monday to get the media talking about something else. If it goes well, then they can keep pushing it on Monday.

Yeah, at risk of presuming competence where there might be none, this sorta strikes me as trumpian style play to suck up air and replay all of trump's comments on prime time some more. If it goes bad they'll just let it die and it won't matter.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
also it's kinda of a weird, tangled phrase. "Deplorables" seems like a weird word to be at the center of a controversy. I don't think it'll have much heat.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

On one hand I'm glad to see that you really can't buy your way into the presidency, but the degree to which the media controls the perception of the candidates is startling.

on the plus (???) side the media is a blind and stupid demiurge

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I love that phrase though, and it's true enough to be the word of God. Editorial cartoonists are going to draw Rush and Hannity in a literal basket of deplorables and expect me to feel mad about it. :lol:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

woke wedding drone posted:

I love that phrase though, and it's true enough to be the word of God. Editorial cartoonists are going to draw Rush and Hannity in a literal basket of deplorables and expect me to feel mad about it. :lol:

The Political Cartoons thread should be good tomorrow, shame about Kaep and the Seahawks gobbling up everything on 9/11 9/11 9/11 super NFL spectacular day

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You know, it's funny - I'm as annoyed by Clinton's unforced errors as anyone, but I'm not particularly worried about this one. Tbh, this is the sort of thing that the Democratic base has been wanting to hear from her.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I especially like the contrast of the two pertinent words

basket

deplorables

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Majorian posted:

Welcome GOP hatred, and younger voters will turn out in droves.

Pokemon Go and Taco Trucks at Nov. voting spots going to win 99% of the youth vote.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

What I find really fascinating though is the story of poor little Jeb!, who sunk massive funds into his primary campaign and did terrible. Is he really that bad of a candidate?

He took 4 days to find an answer on whether iraq was a good thing or not. He really, really, really was that bad of a candidate.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good. The best strategy for dealing with Republicans (and Trump) is to just keep poking them until they explode into a fit of hideous rage and unforced errors for all of the electorate to see.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If you think this is anything like the 47% comment then you should probably go finish your article for the NYT

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
He high-fived Trump a moment after he insulted Jeb's wife. Frankly I'm amazed he's done so much in his life without a spine.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Pokemon Go and Taco Trucks at Nov. voting spots going to win 99% of the youth vote.

Well, every little bit helps, regardless.:colbert:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dr Christmas posted:

People will certainly say, and probably are already saying, that Hillary's comment is as bad as Romney's "47%" comment.

No one that matters cares. Also, the same people have been trying to make evrything Obama's Katrina.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No one that matters cares. Also, the same people have been trying to make evrything Obama's Katrina.
Uh, Katrina is Obama's Katrina, so Mission Accomplished.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Litany Unheard posted:

It really doesn't matter.

And not in the "lol nothing matters" sense. A bunch of right-wingers whining for a weekend won't affect the race, and September 11th coverage will drown it out come Monday.

It may or may not effect the race, but I will drat near :toxx: that it will be played from now until the end of all goddamn time on the right wing blogosphere.

Its not quite Benjamin Gazi or email tier, but its probably a solid Vince Foster.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I do love how this turns the Republicans' whole "PC Police!!" crusade against them, "political correctness" was actually their plausible deniability but whoops Trump smashed everything and now they don't really have a specific defense when Hillary calls them out on it.

Like anything they try to disprove the racism accusation will only dig the hole deeper because they're really, really racist and there's so much evidence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yinlock posted:

I do love how this turns the Republicans' whole "PC Police!!" crusade against them, "political correctness" was actually their plausible deniability but whoops Trump smashed everything and now they don't really have a specific defense when Hillary calls them out on it.

Like anything they try to disprove the racism accusation will only dig the hole deeper because they're really, really racist and there's so much evidence.
At this point I am starting to wonder just why, exactly, the Republicans keep trying to nail Bill Clinton with this Epstein poo poo, given that pretty much every other thing they throw on Democrats is done by them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nessus posted:

At this point I am starting to wonder just why, exactly, the Republicans keep trying to nail Bill Clinton with this Epstein poo poo, given that pretty much every other thing they throw on Democrats is done by them.

Attack your enemy's strengths, pin your shortcomings to them. That was the Rove playbook, and it's one of the few things that he actually got right.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Majorian posted:

Attack your enemy's strengths, pin your shortcomings to them. That was the Rove playbook, and it's one of the few things that he actually got right.
This suggests, at this point, that the Republican Party founded ISIS, was born in a foreign nation, hates America and seeks to sow racial discord.

Yeah, except for #2 that sounds right

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-dr-oz-health-records-227965

The Donald is going on air with Doctor Oz to discuss his and Hillary's health.

What.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Majorian posted:

Doesn't exactly work in the day of social and constant media where your shortcomings are broadcasted perpetually to the world and louder than your attacks could ever be. Of course, the saving grace against this is willing ignorance of shortcomings and lack of strength being okay as long as its someone from your political team, but the playbook like everything else doesn't matter when there really aren't any rules in play anymore.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crabtree posted:

Doesn't exactly work in the day of social and constant media where your shortcomings are broadcasted perpetually to the world and louder than your attacks could ever be. Of course, the saving grace against this is willing ignorance of shortcomings and lack of strength being okay as long as its someone from your political team, but the playbook like everything else doesn't matter when there really aren't any rules in play anymore.

And this is why the "Bush is dumb" meme prevented the "Kerry is a pussy" meme from working! :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I do get sick of the media narrative that Clinton has been biding her time and doing nothing in order to let Trump crucify himself. The "here is what the alt-right is" speech would be considered nuts in any other election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

And this is why the "Bush is dumb" meme prevented the "Kerry is a pussy" meme from working! :v:
I'm pretty sure the actual key to Republican success has been horsewhipping the media on "bias" to the point where they are reflexively deferential to Republicans. I mean, that has been true for my entire life but it has really popped now that Trump is the Republican they are deferring to.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I do get sick of the media narrative that Clinton has been biding her time and doing nothing in order to let Trump crucify himself. The "here is what the alt-right is" speech would be considered nuts in any other election.
And the Republicans buried it! By not responding to it, so the press couldn't make a "balanced" story.

• Locked thread