Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Gors are quite a bit better than Ungors in most situations, actually.

Bestigors are just really bad for how much they cost though. The only reason to take them is if you badly need the AP, but they're a reliably disappointing unit in both SP and MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I can only really speak to SP, but Bestigors taking 3 turns to recruit is the worst thing about them.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

I dont know posted:

There is a separate inventory for dota 2 items compared to you're regular steam items (like cards). Make sure you're in the right inventory, if not there should be a tab towards the top that says DOTA.

drat, I installed DOTA, I got a pop up and I pressed X but I have no item. I pre-ordered on GMG which I think is the issue. Still kinda poo poo that it showed me the popup though, I admit through my excitement I didn't really read it though.
Trying to find it in item list but I think it's specific to steam pre-order only then.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

John Charity Spring posted:

I can only really speak to SP, but Bestigors taking 3 turns to recruit is the worst thing about them.

Yeah no Beastmen horde should be sitting still for 3 turns, ever. Minos and Cygors are both 2-turn recruits so why bother waiting a turn longer for Bestis?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
aside from lowering recruitment times, is there anything else you guys would do to buff bestigors?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

aside from lowering recruitment times, is there anything else you guys would do to buff bestigors?

Put Gorebulls in the same building upgrade, removing them from the minotaur line.

Edit: I mean I do think the biggest issue with beastmen is that too much goodness is concentrated in the Minotaur line. It makes everything else look weak in contrast.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 9, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Doctor Schnabel posted:

In terms of base combat stats I think they're fine, but their cost/upkeep is probably too high and the fact that they don't benefit from massive Gorebull/Beastlord skill buffs like Ungors and to a lesser extent Gors do makes them nowhere near a big enough improvement over basic units to be worth using much, I think.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
It's hard to say. Bestigors are just all-around underwhelming compared to other races heavy infantry units. Low stats, low unit size, relatively high price. They get Primal Fury and slightly increased speed but it doesn't amount to much.

They have a certain inherent value to Beastmen in that there's no other heavy armor/AP units competing for that niche, but they don't synergize well with Beastmen tactics and upgrades so ultimately they just lack that incentive to pick up.

quote:

Edit: I mean I do think the biggest issue with beastmen is that too much goodness is concentrated in the Minotaur line. It makes everything else look weak in contrast.

That's not entirely true, Minotaurs have the same vulnerabilities as other monstrous infantry units, the AI is just really bad at dealing with them.

In MP, Beastmen are pretty much just Ungors/Gors/Gorebulls with maybe a sprinkling of Minotaurs and Centigors. Gorebulls are pretty much the thing keeping them viable at the moment.

SP is different, but not actually that different, you just get a higher proportion of Minotaurs because the AI isn't going to focus them down with range units.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 9, 2016

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Fangz posted:

Put Gorebulls in the same building upgrade, removing them from the minotaur line.

I agree with this. There's nothing Bestigors (and imo some other Beastmen units as well) can do that one of the three types of Minotaur can't do better.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Flakey posted:

I agree with this. There's nothing Bestigors (and imo some other Beastmen units as well) can do that one of the three types of Minotaur can't do better.

They can fight on walls! But, uh, other than that...

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Minotaurs slam down gates so fast, who needs to fight on walls? :v: But yeah that's a fair point.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mukip posted:

Kaza's Empire vs Triskelli's Dwarfs: Perhaps Kaza wasn't aware of how this map worked, but his Helstorm battery wasted a lot of shots with the hill blocking the centre. The mortars were a good idea, but he spent way too many points on artillery and missile units. Triskeli persists with his casting of vortex spells to little effect.

Yeah, I honestly didnt' realize how huge that hill was in the middle. If I had known, I would have taken less artillery and more cavalry/infantry

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bestigors look cool so in single player you should build some to look at during battles

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Playing a VC campaign starting with Vlad, and I finally had the :black101: Epic Showdown with Chaos :black101: that I was looking for. I'd consolidated most of the southern empire, pushing Karl out of Altdorf and into Marienburg by the time the chaos hordes showed up, and with Kislev weakened I couldn't resist reclaiming their land all the way up to Volksgrad. I wasn't able to pull out of the southwest due to border skirmishes and rebellions from my fast expansion, so I wound up with 2 armies led by Vlad and son up in Volksgrad. Put them in ambush behind the town, and after a quick skirmish with Kholek (Who stupidly tried to attack alone, with a half-stack, and was righteously punted in the face by Mannfred), I wound up defending against 3 full stacks led by Archaon, Sarthorael, and Sigfried in a single battle that I regret not saving the replay of.

Thankfully the AI didn't consolidate and walk across the map, and only Archaon's army hit my lines at full force. The first 10 minutes were hairy until Vlad faced down the Everleeched in single combat and killed him, forcing his army to rout. After that, it was another, bigger clash with Sarthorael and Sigfried at the same time, in which the doomchicken decided to charge into my right flank before his army showed up and was quickly chopped to pieces by grave guard and a terrorgeist. Then I noticed Sigfried behind my lines (Dude really needs a less generic icon), and promptly beat him down with some quality father/son bonding time. Had to chase down those super irritating hellcannons that never actually did anything except shoot half a unit of Vargheists out of the sky, and then after the battle chased down and slaughtered the remnants. Definitely the best battle I've been in, even if I mis-managed my cavalry so badly that they got caught by Chosen Halberds.

The legions of Chaos died 3 turns after they spawned, in a grand total of 2 battles. Welcome to the Age of Peace, mortals, get ready for those armies to march south.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I just finished my VC campaign as Vlad too! I was using the Later/Harder Chaos Hordes mod, and the extra time gave me the chance to fortify the entire front against Chaos. I didn't know whether they'd head straight south, or cut West first, so I had three major fortifications: Hochland, Bechafen and Middenheim. Turns out they hit Bechafen first, where my weakest Lord (Kemmler) was stationed with a gimmick army of almost entirely ghosts+Krell. Archaon seiges the city with one extra stack while the other four head south as I try to bring in my other forces to help here. I hold Archaon's attack off, with Krell dueling him backed up by a mortis engine and Kemmler's healing. Then, with the gates destroyed, Sarthorael, Sigvald and Kholek attack. The city did not hold this time, but the delayed movement let me set up some ambushes in the forests north of Sylvania with Vlad and Ghorst (Mannfred was in the south dealing with loving Dwarfs). Kholek walked right through Ghorst's ambush, and was promptly slain and his army crushed. Sigvald fell for Vlad's ambush, and Vlad+Isabella dueled him while my army demolished his. All that left was a weakened Sarthorael, who had taken the worst of the damage razing the city earlier, and two generics. Vlad was able to easily mop up these remnants and then chase the Warherd of Chaos into the mountains before catching them and ushering in the Age of Peace.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

CA should have made one of Vlad's quests end with him reviving Isabella. Just make her a unique vampire agent or something.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm playing VH Empire and I swear a minotaur broke my entire army. I had two crossbow units and a handgunnner unit unloading on it the whole time and it didn't matter.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Is there a mod/way to remove all the popup messages you get every turn? I do not care that the winds of magic have changed, nor do I care about the +4% to income follower I've attracted. It ties into the consistent problem of CA's campaign maps being way too click-intensive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do units get an attack penalty if fighting through a breach in a wall? I've had three units of black orcs held up by one unit of halberdiers in a hole in the wall.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do units get an attack penalty if fighting through a breach in a wall? I've had three units of black orcs held up by one unit of halberdiers in a hole in the wall.

Choke point + long reach weapon + AP damage + leadership penalties from damage from towers

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
My drat dwarf VH game is taking forever fighting these greenskins in the badlands, turn 120 and chaos has already burned straight through the NE and heading to Border princes so I'm going to have to march some armies back to stop them.

What I've noticed, is Orc AI armies are infinitely better than me at army compositions against my dwarves.

Savage Orc Boar Boy Big Uns are crazy powerful... they've been slamming my armies with 6-8 troll units and 6-8 boar boys with archers and some goblins and it's been just wrecking havoc on my units pretty good. Using my army of longbeards/quarelllers and 2 artillery and i find myself having to wait/recruit more warriors/longbeards just to proceed because they get them down to 5-10 men left per unit after these type of fights with losses strewn about. I think if I play Orcs again I'll try this tactic.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
Bestigors get the Gorebull's attack bonus, so a couple of units of those with a nearby GB will basically kill literally anything you can throw it at in single player.

Edit: and are much cheaper than minotaurs, with higher armour that lets them take basically no damage from anything that isn't armour piercing. The 3 turns to recruit is a total pain in the arse.

Gammymajams fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 9, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gammymajams posted:

Bestigors get the Gorebull's attack bonus
Oh for real? I might actually build a single unit to throw at armored Halberdiers then.

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I just did a pretty simple test, a lord + bestigors against a lord + hammerers. The hammerers totally shat on the bestigors, it's fair to say. In one case I frontal charged hammerers with one unit and rear charged it with another, and the front bestigors still ran away before the hammerers. I can see why you wouldn't bother with them in multiplayer, but I still think they're good in single player.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

My drat dwarf VH game is taking forever fighting these greenskins in the badlands, turn 120 and chaos has already burned straight through the NE and heading to Border princes so I'm going to have to march some armies back to stop them.

What I've noticed, is Orc AI armies are infinitely better than me at army compositions against my dwarves.

Savage Orc Boar Boy Big Uns are crazy powerful... they've been slamming my armies with 6-8 troll units and 6-8 boar boys with archers and some goblins and it's been just wrecking havoc on my units pretty good. Using my army of longbeards/quarelllers and 2 artillery and i find myself having to wait/recruit more warriors/longbeards just to proceed because they get them down to 5-10 men left per unit after these type of fights with losses strewn about. I think if I play Orcs again I'll try this tactic.

Savage orc boar boys and boar boy biguns are both unlocked by a t3 building btw

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DLC+patch is awesome. Doing an empire game right now, Im rich as hell, got a strong military. Problem is chaos is nowhere near me right now so I have nothing to use it on.

I think ill send war-pope to go pick a fight with the vamps

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Agean90 posted:

DLC+patch is awesome. Doing an empire game right now, Im rich as hell, got a strong military. Problem is chaos is nowhere near me right now so I have nothing to use it on.

I think ill send war-pope to go pick a fight with the vamps

If you don't have Volkmar purge all the affronts to Morr you're playing wrong.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It has been more than a week since the last DLC now, where are my Wood Elf teases CA??

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kainser posted:

It has been more than a week since the last DLC now, where are my Wood Elf teases CA??

It is like they want us to forget this game even exists.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Kainser posted:

Wood elf stealth trait confirmed.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Didn't the Russian leak say that Wood Elves DLC would coincide with Bretonnia as a playable FLC faction? Or am I completely mistaken?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I wouldn't be surprised if they do come out together, it makes sense for the Brets to have to go and save the Fair Folk.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I think wood elf will be a while, I figure they'll do Britannia next since it's already in the game and just needs some unit balances and extra units for it to be viable

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcKTbFbwrxE

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I don't think I've managed to update this game once without it hanging for like 10-15 minutes near the end.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Corrode posted:

I don't think I've managed to update this game once without it hanging for like 10-15 minutes near the end.

Most of the update process is copying/moving files around so it doesn't need to be downloading for that. Unless by hang you mean it isn't doing any disc-writes either but usually that's what it's doing when it isn't downloading.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy gently caress is Chaos not fun to play. Here are some of my favorite "features" of this well thought out race:

Wack-a-mole as ten different factions re-settle a razed province and then retreat in advance of your army.
Never being able to replenish your hero and general health
Having to fight two other Chaos factions that break alliances and subjugation on the very next turn
Awaken tribes stabbing you in the back when the bird general shows up
Expensive units that are barely better than other factions
Corruption being completely loving worthless, more worthless than vampiric corruption

Kholek is the only redeeming feature of an otherwise poo poo faction

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I've love if they incorporated some of the beastmen horde improvements to Chaos. Even things like keeping up momentum are hard- stop to restore/recruit and you're a sitting duck for armies and agents. Maybe you get a 'chaos boon' where to get to choose replenishment/attack/defense bonuses after you raze each city, or even let you spend favour to give a boost.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Rand alPaul posted:

Holy gently caress is Chaos not fun to play. Here are some of my favorite "features" of this well thought out race:

Wack-a-mole as ten different factions re-settle a razed province and then retreat in advance of your army.
Having to fight two other Chaos factions that break alliances and subjugation on the very next turn
Corruption being completely loving worthless, more worthless than vampiric corruption

SSSigvald sthe sMagnifisent is great once you get the auric armour and that mod that lets you heal up completely like before the grim & grave patch, but otherwise this isn't a bad assessment of the chaos dudes. I had the lord of change show up on turn 105 or so and I'd barely left kislev :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Rand alPaul posted:

Play with an increased replenishment mod. It makes the game hugely better for monster-heavy factions.

Don't try and build an orderly scandinavian empire. You know why those varg/etc exist? Because they've got a shitload of unwalled towns with huge sack values. Treat them like money pinatas, don't bother razing unless you feel like it. If you're short of cash or want to train up a new general send him up there to knock viking heads around until he feels confident enough to take on the civilized world. Corruption is worthless but who gives a poo poo. When I head south for the first time I tend to have a massive bank from just orbiting through Norsca once.

Remember you don't have to leave a perfect orderly wasteland in your wake. You just gotta kill the empire, dwarves and brets, so do that. Knock over other cities on your way there for money but don't feel obliged to carefully tend to a neat little desolate garden. You're chaos. Leave mess in your wake and feel good about it. Remember to deconstruct your marauder building and replace it with a chaos symbol ASAP.

I personally really enjoy chaos in combat. You've got infantry that'll maul anything, excellent cav, hellcannons to force engagements, elite heroes, and solid magic and monstrous support.

• Locked thread