Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

blah_blah posted:

The Worlds jungle meta could actually be pretty weird and involve e.g. Skarner (he was played in the LCK Gauntlet finals). After the Rek'Sai/Gragas changes Nidalee and Elise are probably the two clear top-tier junglers (though Rek'Sai should stay in the meta), and if they start drawing bans a lot of stuff is suddenly on the table -- Kindred, Hecarim, Zac, Lee Sin, Graves, Sejuani.

Unfortunately I really doubt Skarner is going to see much competitive play. Nevermind the sheer amount of roaming teams do thus making it nearly impossible for him to hold a point that is meaningful without loudly announcing his or his allies coming to take something but his ult is countered in way too many ways, especially QSS and Morgana black shield especially nasty. He's excellent in solo queue because of the lack of coordination and concentrated picks to deal with his ult specifically. Old Skarner did see some pro play but I don't think this iteration is anything but a solo queue superstar. I love the bug and have forever but yeah, that's his niche.

poo poo like Rek'sai, Elise, etc, the super high utility champs that can work on low item budgets are gonna see play as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Morde would murder me in top lane because I don't know what he does

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Yeah Skarner is great if you can get ahead and close out like they did--Samsung? But a jungler ideally has utility in economy situations or when behind, which Skarner doesn't accomplish when the other team can afford QSS. He definitely has pocket-pick status though, especially if it's against Elise or Nid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Morde would murder me in top lane because I don't know what he does
Flashback to 2011

Friend: Why'd you dive Mordekaiser? His shield blocked everything.
Me: Mordekaiser has a shield!?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the JPEG artifact shield. clarity!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
new morde is the only hero I've played where I just didn't understand how to play them, I just kept trying to put shields/storm thing on teammates and it would just dump it on a nearby minion while I went ??? and got no sustain

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I once spend entire laning phase murdering morde and he came back with a dragon and killed me. Rude.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Edit: Is Shaco, TF and Warick any good still?

Shaco is ludicrously fun to play especially as AP, but is he effective? Ehhhhh not really

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ambition said they played Skarner as a last chance/desperation play, and it wasn't even THAT great in the game. Their top Kennen got out of control and their Taliyah/Jhin/Kennen combo provided a lot of the damage. We might see it again but I don't believe we'll see it in a normal situation.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Shaco is ludicrously fun to play especially as AP, but is he effective? Ehhhhh not really

As an addendum to this the reason he's not effective is because red trinket shuts him down completely, even worse than Eve

It negates his boxes and makes his Q useless as well, leaving him with his E (which is rather nice actually, one of the few non-skillshot projectile attacks left in the game) and an Ult that is hit or miss in terms of effectiveness depending on how intelligent your enemy is

Add this to random and silly bugs that happen as a result of his kit not having been touched in forever and yeah

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

New Yorick seems kinda goofy for the jungle and the delay on getting ghouls is contingent on last hitting a jungle mob with Q which means he is gonna be slow as gently caress for the first bit of clearing and he gets his rear end kicked pretty fiercely in the jungle. W is kinda dirty assuming you land it but yeah, as a jungler he's not too hot it feels like. Lots of other options out there.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Old Skarner and especially broken initial Cinderhulk rework Skarner were the most fun champs in the game and current rework capture point Skarner is so loving lame.

I hope they revert him like Kog.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Skarner sucks imo if u want to play a similar champ play Vi. She builds similarly to him and can duel/engage like Skarner. In lower elo I think Skarner is good because people will fight on your spires and u can keep stunning them. Also people will build qss too late so your ult is useful for a longer time. Vi ult is kinda similar engage to kill 1 specific target except u can't qss vi ult.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Ulio posted:

Skarner sucks imo if u want to play a similar champ play Vi. She builds similarly to him and can duel/engage like Skarner. In lower elo I think Skarner is good because people will fight on your spires and u can keep stunning them. Also people will build qss too late so your ult is useful for a longer time. Vi ult is kinda similar engage to kill 1 specific target except u can't qss vi ult.

Seconding this

Vi is in a really really good place right now due to getting nothing but buffs recently and triforce being changed up doing nothing but benefitting her in every conceivable way

She also utterly shreds enemy armor with her W, which is very easy to proc if you land a Q on someone and follow with the AA and then E, which makes a little damage go a very long way

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Every champ is good.

Also what do you do when you have an adc that wont stop splitpushing? Like the enemy inhibs are down and theyre just solo farming in botlane?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 10, 2016

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Follow their dumb rear end and keep them alive

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It's not even sarcastic, if one guy refuses to leave a lane take the whole team down his lane and push it. Don't try to convince him to leave it, don't think about how you could just end if he could get his head out of his rear end and look at the open inhibs, just shove where he is and bring it on home the long way.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ulio posted:

The big difference between Skarner and Vi is that Vi has two huge gap closers compared to Skarner's pitiful speed-up. Vi has a lot of unique gank paths just because her Q when leveled has a pretty short cooldown that puts her over walls just like Rek'Sai. However, when Skarner gets ahead in solo queue he's a real juggernaut because usually teams have no way of slowing him down or stopping him from dragging a high priority target towards death.

Skarner has to rely on a team already having some moderate CC like a Taric or bard to take advantage of his own or else he's just going to get cleansed/kited by good players.

You don't see him in competitive because you need such a specific pick/ban to play around him, including banning out Rek'Sai and Gragas, and Nidalee/Graves being unavailable because they both still out-farm/duel him in the first 8 minutes. If Kalista hadn't been nerfed so hard and the top lane meta were a little more diverse a Skarner/Kalista combo could probably cheese a game or two.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remember Yorick Mori.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
But what if the enemy is pushing your inhib and your adc is pushing bot while the enemies is charging for the kill?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I'm torn on the effectiveness of split pushing at the moment because on one hand teleporting has been nerfed a ton over and over but on the other cloud drake can increase mobility to catch up so ???

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RealFoxy posted:

Impossible to balance in its intended position (Bot lane) without being over/under powered. They need to rework his kit to remove the bot lane stuff.

Mordekaiser is fine now that he doesn't get full solo experience in a duo lane.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

verviticus in one gif

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm torn on the effectiveness of split pushing at the moment because on one hand teleporting has been nerfed a ton over and over but on the other cloud drake can increase mobility to catch up so ???

splitting is fine as long as you do it at a good time or it's part of your strategy for dividing a team that relies on its members being together

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That feeling when ADC is the most balanced role in the game :confused:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

As an addendum to this the reason he's not effective is because red trinket shuts him down completely, even worse than Eve

It negates his boxes and makes his Q useless as well, leaving him with his E (which is rather nice actually, one of the few non-skillshot projectile attacks left in the game) and an Ult that is hit or miss in terms of effectiveness depending on how intelligent your enemy is

Add this to random and silly bugs that happen as a result of his kit not having been touched in forever and yeah

What? New vision made stealth champions better, not worse :confused: Before the new vision system the enemy could have pink wards everywhere and you wouldn't even know you were caught, now they can only have one per player and you can see it. Oracle's Elixir also completely ruined his Q in an AoE but unlike red trinket, had 100% uptime. Red trinket also literally doesn't do anything to Eve, the range is way less than her detection circle, unless you're using unupgraded one at level 16 and just randomly scanning parts of the map I guess? The only new thing that sucks is that unupgraded red trinket disables Shaco's boxes from activating... in a small AoE once every 60-90 seconds.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Honestly, the one change I most wish Riot reverted is the vision overhaul.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=413gtjyel_k

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd say the answer is in the middle; overall stealth heroes are better off now that they dont have to gamble on if the enemy has pinks or not (especially when pink wards were stealthed), but the availability of red trinket means that its much harder for stealth and/or trap heroes to outright carry a match themselves.

Not to say that there's no advantage to your team in forcing the enemy team to abandon yellow trinket, though.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Has there ever been a 5x smite team in any "important" game, or just level 1 dragon kill immediately when it spawns? I mean the entire team camping drake. I know there are plenty of gimmicks and poo poo to solo dragon at level 1 with a load of characters but I'm wondering if that's ever been a thing that actually happens.

Also Drake spawns are completely random, there is no way to affect which one spawns?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

I'd say the answer is in the middle; overall stealth heroes are better off now that they dont have to gamble on if the enemy has pinks or not (especially when pink wards were stealthed), but the availability of red trinket means that its much harder for stealth and/or trap heroes to outright carry a match themselves.

Not to say that there's no advantage to your team in forcing the enemy team to abandon yellow trinket, though.

Once again, Red trinket literally doesn't matter to Eve, and what's it going to do to Twitch? Are they just going to scan randomly and hope that it's when he's coming in? It's borderline useless for initiation stealth, it only really affects in-combat stealth to avoid things like Akali's shroud. Even then it doesn't let them use targeted abilities, and it has a fairly major cooldown. The better solution then and now is just to cough up the gold for a pink ward and slap it down to completely erase the stealth in combat.

e:

Gortarius posted:

Has there ever been a 5x smite team in any "important" game, or just level 1 dragon kill immediately when it spawns? I mean the entire team camping drake. I know there are plenty of gimmicks and poo poo to solo dragon at level 1 with a load of characters but I'm wondering if that's ever been a thing that actually happens.

Also Drake spawns are completely random, there is no way to affect which one spawns?

The most smites in a pro game is three I think, back when a couple lanes benefited from access to jungle items and the modified smites. Supports basically never take smite. And the only dragon constraints are:
A) Never more than three of the same dragon
B) Never more than three kinds of elemental dragon in the same game
and
C) If the spawn would occur after 35 minutes, it's always an Elder

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 10, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I was more thinking Shaco, Kha, Teemo, Wukong, that sort of stuff.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Gortarius posted:

You can't change which one spawns, no. However, only 3 of the 4 elemental types can be in any one game (so if you've seen Fire, Air and Ocean, you know it will never be mountain). Only Elder Dragon spawns after 35 minutes.

E: Tactician's edit makes this post worthless :argh:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Gortarius posted:

you can't and shouldn't do gimmicks like this anymore (in pro play) but here's a fun game from several years ago for you to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAoZJolrYI

stump collector fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 10, 2016

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
level 1 dragon fight was a thing so they pushed dragon spawn time way back

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Taciturn Tactician posted:

B) Never more than three kinds of elemental dragon in the same game

wait. why the hecks??

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Prevents possibly captain planet appearing

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Work Friend Keven posted:

Prevents possibly captain planet appearing

when the world needed him most, he vanished...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

That ryze dive gif... How do u miss a Yorick who is standing literally on top of u with ur q. Also shouldn't have flashed e. If he waited for q and flash e q it was free kill.

Played a bit of Karma mid I thought of building flat ap items instead of utility but the ardent censor shield + athenes heals is just too good. That shield gets so massive. Imo only problem with her is that u can't carry late game and have to rely on ADC. Her laning phase is pretty good due to free ult lvl1 so u normally win lane easily. I usually start dark seal and still win lane because she is so strong early-mid game. Late game u have to rely more on your shields and u don't get much dmg off on their backline unless they are getting sieged or frontline adc positioning going on. I also wondered if getting windspeaker is any good as midlaner but thunderlord is really useful for midlane trades.

On a sidenote I have a guy in my friendlist who plays Illaoi top with Windspeaker Blessing. He is only gold 1 so I don't know if he is opinion is really trustworthy but he says its the best keystone on her lol.

• Locked thread