Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

loquacius posted:

I have a huge MP3 file collection because I really like to have some sort of ownership over my music and also I don't want to stream tons of data over cellular for it

To be fair, a decent solution for that is hoarding the MP3s at home while also dumping them into Google Play Music, which will stream your MP3s to you, but also cache them on your phone.

That said, that solution still needs a bunch of space for the cache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My music collection is 400gb and I don't use FLAC.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's too easy to get these turbo nerd losers frothing at the mouth over iphones god i live for this

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thathonkey posted:

it's too easy to get these turbo nerd losers frothing at the mouth over iphones god i live for this
drat breh u the ultimate puppetmaster

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

To be fair, a decent solution for that is hoarding the MP3s at home while also dumping them into Google Play Music, which will stream your MP3s to you, but also cache them on your phone.

That said, that solution still needs a bunch of space for the cache.

That seems like it'd only really help if you listened to the same stuff a bunch of times in a row. I like to shuffle-all, knaamean

thathonkey posted:

We're talking about music storage :confused:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
that's what i just said

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Away all Goats posted:

at least you can still look cool with the new wireless AirPods

They probably look better if you aren't a fat unshaven piece of poo poo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
no I do not think that would matter

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

C-SPAN Caller posted:

It's almost like regulation is a good thing and protects the consumer!

remember when the consumer protecting USB consortium came out with one godawful incompatible low rent poo poo tier connector after another for decades until Apple showed them how to do it right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Internaut! posted:

remember when the consumer protecting USB consortium came out with one godawful incompatible low rent poo poo tier connector after another for decades until Apple showed them how to do it right

I remember when they invented the USB connector and the micro USB connector and those both worked fine for years, is that the same thing

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you do not master your bait your bait will master you

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

I remember when they invented the USB connector and the micro USB connector and those both worked fine for years, is that the same thing

The older USB connectors were very bad from a mechanical perspective and also some of the horrible made in china cables would use the wrong resistance which could burn out the charging device.

All the above problems got fixed with the never USB-C standard.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

etalian posted:

The older USB connectors were very bad from a mechanical perspective and also some of the horrible made in china cables would use the wrong resistance which could burn out the charging device.

All the above problems got fixed with the never USB-C standard.

This is a surreal post to me because I've never had a problem with USB as a standard and I've never used USB-C

and I use USB poo poo all the time, like, literally everything plugged into my computer right now is plugged into a USB port (ok the monitors are HDMI and the speakers are 3.5mm analog jack lol)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well the nice thing about USB-C is it's a reversible connector similar to the Lightning connector.

Also the default Apple lightning cables have the classic Apple weakness of getting easily damaged around the connector due to bending or how a small kink eventually can
cause the cable jacket peel off.

Best option is to buy a more durable cable like Ankler powerline cables

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
seconding anker. their charging stuff is great and lasts longer/works just as good as the apple ones

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i've been using apple devices for years and i've never had a problem with the oem cords getting damaged

stop pulling poo poo out by the cord maybe

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

seconding anker. their charging stuff is great and lasts longer/works just as good as the apple ones

The cable design is really good, more durable jacket and handles bending much better without getting the dreaded Apple cable damage problems.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 10, 2016

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

:jiggled:
Jiggled Again

etalian posted:

The cable design is really good, more durable jacket and handles bending much better without getting the dreaded Apple cable damage problems.

I dont get why everybody complains about this, the shits just kind of bent it doesnt affect the performance whatsoever

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

jigglemaster7 posted:

I dont get why everybody complains about this, the shits just kind of bent it doesnt affect the performance whatsoever

once they develop that problem eventually it will stop making a connection properly and youll have to start wiggling the connector around in the socket praying it makes contact

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The kink causes electron backup and the voltage gremlins hate it.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe
Does apple count as a bucket shop or a market maker?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

LT56 posted:

Does apple count as a bucket shop or a market maker?

Yes

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Have we learned nothing from this? Stop drawing attention to the charger cable before they eliminate this jack as well (for aesthetics and space saving reasons, and not for making customers buy a new phone every 8-12 hours reasons).

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

"whew" - Nio, in the Matrox

lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Marv Hushman posted:

Have we learned nothing from this? Stop drawing attention to the charger cable before they eliminate this jack as well (for aesthetics and space saving reasons, and not for making customers buy a new phone every 8-12 hours reasons).

Real talk if you were going to eliminate the headphone jack by touting the wonders of wireless and talk about how it helps improve water resistance, you should have just implemented wireless charging and eliminated the Lightning connector and sell a single rectangular block of solid glass that would make Steve Jobs cream his pants

But I guess Apple has to go think of and invent their own wireless charging standard first

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
"Apple got rid of the headphone jack" sounds like a jaunty ditty sung by a barbershop quartet.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Real talk if you were going to eliminate the headphone jack by touting the wonders of wireless and talk about how it helps improve water resistance, you should have just implemented wireless charging and eliminated the Lightning connector and sell a single rectangular block of solid glass that would make Steve Jobs cream his pants

But I guess Apple has to go think of and invent their own wireless charging standard first

wireless charging increases the thickness of the phone. Qi was dropped from nexus 5 to 5x for this reason.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

Lol'ing at the guy who loves SD cards so much in tyool 2016. hey bud,
2005 callin it wants its sandisk back. He thinks he left some really good eminem mp3s on there.

"I mean, why would anyone want anything,really"

- a loving idiot

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Germstore posted:

wireless charging increases the thickness of the phone. Qi was dropped from nexus 5 to 5x for this reason.

Exactly how thin does a phone need to be exactly? I just measured my phone with a set of calipers and it's 9.6mm (0.38") thick. It has wireless charging and a 3500mAH battery. If anything, I'd prefer a thicker phone because it can be hard to hold up something so thin during phone calls.

EDIT: Not to mention, the addon QI mats for phones go inside the battery case. They're literally paper-thin.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 10, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

revmoo posted:

Exactly how thin does a phone need to be exactly? I just measured my phone with a set of calipers and it's 9.6mm (0.38") thick. It has wireless charging and a 3500mAH battery. If anything, I'd prefer a thicker phone because it can be hard to hold up something so thin during phone calls.

EDIT: Not to mention, the addon QI mats for phones go inside the battery case. They're literally paper-thin.

Thinness is still a selling point and at this point they are fighting over tenth of a millimeter. 7.3 mm vs 7.5 mm may not matter in practice, but god help whoever green lit the wireless charging if the new Samsung is 7.4 mm.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

Thinness is still a selling point and at this point they are fighting over tenth of a millimeter. 7.3 mm vs 7.5 mm may not matter in practice, but god help whoever green lit the wireless charging if the new Samsung is 7.4 mm.

Trendy Tendie

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm seriously eyeing the Cat S60 (if they manage to root it) and that thing is like 3/4" thick. Thick is good, gives you something to grip on to. I hate this trend with thin phones and rounded bezels so they slip right out of your hand.

toxicitysquared
Nov 12, 2007

Jiggled Again

revmoo posted:

I'm seriously eyeing the Cat S60 (if they manage to root it) and that thing is like 3/4" thick. Thick is good, gives you something to grip on to. I hate this trend with thin phones and rounded bezels so they slip right out of your hand.

thats the most autistic device ive ever seen

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dif anyone in the world buy an Amazon fire phone?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Germstore posted:

It's also one of the bigger reasons why they had to design out the headphone jack.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

a bone to pick posted:

Dif anyone in the world buy an Amazon fire phone?

I know one person that did and they paid full price for it :lol:.

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

eric posted:

I know one person that did and they paid full price for it :lol:.

mann

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jigglemaster7 posted:

thats the most autistic device ive ever seen

someone made a train shaped smartphone?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Looks like a case of jacking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

if you iphone doesn't charge it isn't the cable, there is lint in the hole hope this helps you

• Locked thread