Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

How is it that I'm more familiar with Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal's battle theme even though I've only played Red longer than 60 minutes in my whole life??? What is wrong with my brain? Do they use the Gold battle theme in more supplementary material and spinoffs??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

Out of all the good racers on the DC calling VP the best seems kinda.... excessive. This is a system with TXR1/2, Sega Rally 2, MSR, Sega GT, Super Runabout, F355 Challenge, Re-Volt, Crazy Taxi1/2, Hydro Thunder, Flag to Flag etc

excuse you, Daytona USA

e: ugh, a new page and a post between them!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

excuse you, Daytona USA

e: ugh, a new page and a post between them!

the daytona USA port on the DC has really bizarre controls, it was handled by genki and not sega. I really like the original non-CCE version on the saturn more despite the popup

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

No one will ever forget 9/9/99

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harlock posted:

:909: (That smilie should be a crying Segata Sanshiro.)

I wish was having someone over tonight so I could play some Powerstone or Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Instead I'll just have to play Sonic Adventures 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

Yes, the American release date of Final Fantasy 8.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

9/9/99 was awesome because I was in high school and could only afford the dreamcast and no games so I just played the demo disc for weeks. that one sonic adventure level with the whale is burned into my mind

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Harlock posted:

R.I.P. Catfish Hunter

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

al-azad posted:

Yes, the American release date of Final Fantasy 8.

Everyone go read the ongoing FF8 LP thread, it owns a lot. I've always loved the game despite the criticisms and problems it has, and that thread is showing me stuff I had no idea even existed.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
The best FF8 LP is Leovinus' one from like loving 10 years agooh god i feel old

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have never played on a Dreamcast. I'm really in no hurry to either.

PS2 4 lyfe

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Man posted:

PS2 4 lyfe

I stopped caring about arcade games post-95 but Dreamcast is probably the cheapest system to collect for has really good games and some of the ports just don't hold a candle. Looking at you PS2 Grandia 2 loving garbage!

That controller 'dough

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I wish I had that dope virtual on controller so I could play the DC game properly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Heh, an NES emulator was certified for Microsoft's store and Xbox One.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Heh, an NES emulator was certified for Microsoft's store and Xbox One.

I don't know if it would be funnier if it got shut down or not.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, as it mentions, emulators themselves are perfectly legal and it doesn't come with any (copywritten) roms. It'll probably get a name change though.

This emulator's also been on the Windows 8/Windows Phone store for like two years, and works alright enough.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fruitpunch posted:

The best FF8 LP is Leovinus' one from like loving 10 years agooh god i feel old

Think it got deleted because he hated how the old one was and tried to redo it and it never happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

Think it got deleted because he hated how the old one was and tried to redo it and it never happened.

No, he definitely started it. I think it petered out around the prison escape, maybe?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, he definitely started it. I think it petered out around the prison escape, maybe?

Wasn't there something about how he was making the exact same jokes at the exact same moments too?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Star Man posted:

PS2 4 lyfe

GT3 A-Spec and GT4... now those are amazing racing games, and my top 2 favorite racing games.

I respect the Dreamcast, just not enough games I enjoy that weren't ported or cross-released elsewhere to justify keeping a spot under my TV for it (or money going towards games for it). Then again, I am not a huge arcade game guy.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Risky
May 18, 2003

Found these in the glass case at a pawn shop. 2 dollars each and the discs look new as well. Good score?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Risky posted:

Found these in the glass case at a pawn shop. 2 dollars each and the discs look new as well. Good score?

You collectively got them for lower than they're worth individually as digital copies. You know you did well, no need to rub it in.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Risky posted:

u motherfuckre

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Star Man posted:

PS2 4 lyfe

It's ok, you can play PSO on a GameCube or PC.

Dynamite Cop never showed up anywhere else did it? Every four months or so I get an itch to buy a Dreamcast and a copy of Dynamite Cop.

That controller is the hottest of garbage, though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

Dynamite Cop never showed up anywhere else did it? Every four months or so I get an itch to buy a Dreamcast and a copy of Dynamite Cop.

Nope, but there's a PS2 remake of Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deka that brings it up to Dynamite Cop-quality visuals (so, marginally prettier).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Soul Glo posted:

It's ok, you can play PSO on a GameCube or PC.

That controller is the hottest of garbage, though.

What's PSO like these days?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ill bleed was never ported get a Dreamcast you monsters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Aged. You'd probably want to play it on a server with boosted rates, but it's still fun with friends.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Dreamcast rules, arcade games rule, movie games drool

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Street Fighter The Movie The Game is both an arcade game and a movie game and it's fantastic.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Street Fighter The Movie The Game is both an arcade game and a movie game and it's fantastic.

Had one of the best juggle systems in any fighting game.

I was thinking more "David Cage game" when referring to movie games, not like "Darkman for NES"

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The arcade version of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game is cool because the first time I played it I accidentally found an infinite in like five minutes while trying out the combo system.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
More like Street Fighter: The Game: The Movie: The Game

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My friend has a copy of Zero Wing for the Sega Mega Drive, and I dunno, despite people saying the SNES had a better sound system, Zero Wing sounds really awesome on a modern speaker system

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Ill bleed was never ported get a Dreamcast you monsters.

Yeah

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Get a Dreamcast and two keyboards for two-player Typing of the Dead

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's literally Space Diablo (1), with all the clunkyness and difficulty that comes with that.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good timing, I was going to make a post about the very last two PAL Saturn games I was missing for a full set, and one of those is a certain terrible fighter just mentioned.

Anyway, a full set may just be the dumbest loving thing in this already dumb hobby, and a Saturn one at that? Jesus. But here's the thing, the Saturn was my first "big" console; before that all I had was a famiclone and a hands-me-down Master System at a time you couldn't find games for it anymore (1995). I was in love with the Saturn the moment I saw the first screens of Street Fighter Alpha and I just couldn't shut up about it. My mother went and actually saved enough money to buy this ridiculous expensive thing for me on Christmas 1996 and it became my main console until 2002 when I got a PS2, so I bought waaay too many games over the years for it and it's why I even considered getting a full set, especially considering most games were acquired before the retro bubble.

So, sob story aside, here's the first of the two I was missing: Maximum Impact, a very, very mediocre (if not outright bad) light gun shooter.

It's not remarkable in any way, other than being 90's as hell with its pre-rendered actors and backgrounds and blood explosions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL32VaPN-dk

No, the thing why it's one of the last ones I got was that I wasn't even aware it existed until two years ago as I had never seen or heard anything about it. The Saturn version is in fact very, very rare, so much that I actually found a working arcade cabinet of Maximum Impact last year on some random bar in a small city whereas the Saturn port eluded me for all these years when I was actually looking for its games. This year I finally found a post-retro bubble price that wasn't 200€, hurray! The Playstation port, on the other hand, can be found for peanuts -- there's plenty of it on eBay and elsewhere.

The second game is, of course, the hilarious Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

It's fairly uncommon, so I only saw it in the wild once and assumed it wasn't in the original packaging, because that's an American Saturn case you see there. We have three types of PAL Saturn cases and none of them were this fragile jewel case type, so I assumed incorrectly that I would eventually find a copy in the original packaging. And then I completely forgot all about it and only remembered when I was going over the whole release list last year, trying to figure out which ones I had missed.

To this day I have no idea why this game alone came in a different case than all other PAL releases, but it's a thing. It's also costed me double the price from what I had seen it at in 2009 (30€), yay.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 10, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Fun fact: Street Fighter: The Movie: The Arcade Game: The Saturn Game is a decent version of SF2Turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Elliotw2 posted:

Fun fact: Street Fighter: The Movie: The Arcade Game: The Saturn Game is a decent version of SF2Turbo.

Serious question but how? Is SF2Turbo hidden in the game?

I actually miss the age of digitized graphics in games. I was obsessed with Mortal Kombat 1-3 (and Trilogy and Ultimate) but MK4 was when I officially stopped enjoying them. I even tried the newest one that everyone loves and I can't get used to the controls. Not to mention pressing down and HP is not the same as it used to be for whatever reason? Why'd they change that?

Top Hats Monthly posted:

My friend has a copy of Zero Wing for the Sega Mega Drive, and I dunno, despite people saying the SNES had a better sound system, Zero Wing sounds really awesome on a modern speaker system

The Genesis has good audio; it is definitely capable. It's merely different than the SNES. The SNES is all sample-based which is how you get epic soundtracks like FFVI that you would never really get on the Genesis. But the Genesis sounds great in games where they don't try to be what they aren't.

As far as I know the SNES does not have any information on the sound chip in terms of the samples; the samples are all on the cartridges. I think I read that 1/3rd of Zelda 3's filesize is the audio.

If it's all sample-based I actually wonder why the games didn't sound even more like instruments.

• Locked thread