Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

GalacticAcid posted:

Wow Abe...making war on eleven states and killing your own people...not a good look...
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Basket of Deplorables is a really good wedge.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/status/774623715057340417

quote:

Is percentage, as Clinton suggested, about 50 percent? That depends on how you define the various forms of bigotry within the Trump coalition. But, based on the polling, Clinton appears to be more likely to be downplaying the issue than overstating it.

The Clinton Campaign can only hope that the fact checking of her statement becomes the ongoing focus.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Just how deplorable are Trump's supporters? We have the numbers...and it appears they may be even more racist than you previously thought. More at 11.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

straight up brolic posted:

Just how deplorable are Trump's supporters? We have the numbers...and it appears they may be even more racist than you previously thought. More at 11.

But really is this her Binders full of women comment? Is this the 47%? Are we literal whores chasing after click bait rather then actually investigating the facts? Should we be shot for being such failures? More later.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Crowsbeak posted:

But really is this her Binders full of women comment? Is this the 47%? Are we literal whores chasing after click bait rather then actually investigating the facts? Should we be shot for being such failures? More later.

The thing about her comment is that it's the same as the comments she's been making, and the entire point has been to schism the party line because there aren't any Shy Trump supporters but there sure as poo poo are a lot of Shy Trump Forced because they're rusted on but they really are trying to get off. If she had been trying to court the Republican base, like Donald Trump - true African American Pioneer, it would be alienating and spike her but she really hasn't. She's attacked Trump and his base and his base attacks relentlessly. It sort of just falls flat as a THE GAFFE.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Okay, what the hell does "corn cob" mean in the context of this thread/U.S. politics in general.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
7% of Trump voters think he's a racist, apparently? "Yeah he might hate brown people but at least he's not that BITCH"

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

The thing that distinguishes this comment from Romney's gaffes is that they were clearly out of touch to all thinking people. If anything, "basket of deplorables" is *too* on the mark, and that's what will upset all the right people.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Okay, what the hell does "corn cob" mean in the context of this thread/U.S. politics in general.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Lid posted:

The thing about her comment is that it's the same as the comments she's been making, and the entire point has been to schism the party line because there aren't any Shy Trump supporters but there sure as poo poo are a lot of Shy Trump Forced because they're rusted on but they really are trying to get off. If she had been trying to court the Republican base, like Donald Trump - true African American Pioneer, it would be alienating and spike her but she really hasn't. She's attacked Trump and his base and his base attacks relentlessly. It sort of just falls flat as a THE GAFFE.

The quote itself falls flat.

After the media is done reporting the story as "Hillary calls all Trump supporters a basket of deplorables," frames it as an attack on all straight white people, and bangs on about it for a month? Not so flat anymore.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If anyone needs a little antidote for this morning, about sixty people showed up in Northern Virginia for labor-to-labor voter walks and phone calls. 59 days out and we pulled sixty. That's an encouraging sign. Can't speak for campaign walkers, but labor is in full force.

The ground game is in full force already.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

St. Dogbert posted:

The quote itself falls flat.

After the media is done reporting the story as "Hillary calls all Trump supporters a basket of deplorables," frames it as an attack on all straight white people, and bangs on about it for a month? Not so flat anymore.

That's not how these things work though, when people heard 47% will never vote for me, it resonated because it undermined Mitt's requirement of courting to his mind the 3% he needed and everyone could see he shut down his chances right there. Look at "What is Aleppo?" it's a generalisation that, despite most people in society having no idea about Aleppo (myself included, its difficult to maintain knowledge of Middle East socioeconomics, and politics, and war) it stung because it can be instantly recognised as a general loss.

Hillary's gaffe is so targeted that the media in wanting to bang about it, if they do, needs to do two things - 1. Trump needs to never gaffe again, because you know attacking his supporters doesn't come across as strongly when his supporters cheer when he calls for her assasination, 2. they need to frame this as how she wont lead for all Americans, except she's against an out and out xenophobe so it falls flat anyway.

Besides the straight white demographic will always put themselves in the basket of Hillary wasn't attacking me, and God help them if they say an attack on one of us is an attack on all of us because that means standing shoulder to shoulder with Illinois Nazis in some insane version of First They Came For.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The very choice of words in "basket of deplorables" along with the consistency with alt-right attack line shows that this is a deliberate tactic. Those aren't the kind of words and phrases that happen to fall out of your mouth while talking to a reporter.

It's deliberate.

You can call it a gaffe or not based on the results, whether it falls flat, backfires by motivating the deplorables to go to the polls or not, or causes the nondeplorables to identify with the deplorables and vote in greater numbers, but it's deliberate.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr Cheeto posted:

7% of Trump voters think he's a racist, apparently? "Yeah he might hate brown people but at least he's not that BITCH"

This is seriously a thing spouted by a horrible hillbilly lady work and Jesus Christ it makes me want to quit every single time before i have a stroke

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zwabu posted:

The very choice of words in "basket of deplorables" along with the consistency with alt-right attack line shows that this is a deliberate tactic. Those aren't the kind of words and phrases that happen to fall out of your mouth while talking to a reporter.

It's deliberate.

You can call it a gaffe or not based on the results, whether it falls flat, backfires by motivating the deplorables to go to the polls or not, or causes the nondeplorables to identify with the deplorables and vote in greater numbers, but it's deliberate.

I think it's a good thing. Hillary getting more aggressive is going to be good for turnout for the base, I think. She needs to be aggressively pointing out that Trump and a large contingent of his supporters are literal loving racists

This is testing the waters for a larger strat I think

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

C'mon thread, one week ago the general consideration was "uh Hillary isn't talking that's a problem" and now there's hand wringing over the fact that she did after labor day, say something in a calculated way.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Obama has been a failure and it's time for a change.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Zwabu posted:

It's deliberate.

And the term is going to come out every time the worst of the worst Trump fans do something stupid and heinous.

The crocodile tears over this are real rich considering how goddamn mild this "slur" is compared to everything that's come from Trump's mouth.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its also why she said more than just racist and included misogynistic

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
The most effective tactic I have seen in actual non-internet human-to-human conversations for getting lukewarm anti-Hillary Trump supporters off of the train is to respond to all of their hemming and hawing with "just look at his supporters!"

The fence-sitters are totally ashamed of Trump's fervent bigot side. Hillary's team knows exactly what they're doing and this line of attack is meant to tell typical straight-ticket R voters that it's ok to write in Mickey Mouse as a protest (or stay home) rather than be on the same team as David Duke.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/774639820777877505
:shobon:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

"basket of deployables"?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You guys are forgetting that white people are incredibly thin-skinned. So even the McDonald's of insults is enough to send them into meltdown.
Like you see how we already get Trump voters go:
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/774490259337936896

Completely outraged, no self-reflection, utterly tone-deaf

Zophar posted:

Basket of Deplorables is a really good wedge.

This is exactly it. She's getting republicans to go "well I don't really like her but I'M NOT RACIST and Trump is...kinda is...fuuuuuuu *pulls lever for Clinton or at least Johnson*"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Obama's numbers are going to be key here. The better he's viewed going into election day, the better Hillary is off.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A novel take

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/09/10/the-candidates-underperformed-not-matt-lauer/

Matt Lauer: Hero?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

The Glumslinger posted:

"basket of deployables"?

Basket of deportables.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SSNeoman posted:

You guys are forgetting that white people are incredibly thin-skinned. So even the McDonald's of insults is enough to send them into meltdown.
Like you see how we already get Trump voters go:
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/774490259337936896

This is exactly it. She's getting republicans to go "well I don't really like her but I'M NOT RACIST and Trump is...kinda is...fuuuuuuu *pulls lever for Clinton or at least Johnson*"

Yeah, I think we all had hot takes a little too quickly, because this was a comment designed to go public, not stay private like 47%.

She knew what she was doing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

iospace posted:

Obama's numbers are going to be key here. The better he's viewed going into election day, the better Hillary is off.

True, though of course, it's not everything. Bill had net +19 approval going into the 2000 election and we all know how that turned out.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
One of the things that it's important to note in how this is being received is that a lot of the people voting for Trump don't see themselves as Trump Supporters. In their minds, "Trump Supporter" is a term associated with people who do things that are moderately disquieting to the general electorate, the completely in the tank for the don types that the media shows going crazy at the rallies and being part of the KKK and all those other things. In their minds, they're just anti-Hillary/Democrats and Pro-Republican.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Making angry white racists foam at the mouth is hilarious and intended. They then go off and say/do angry racist things.

Misogyny too.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

^^efb

The other thing is that the comment is also probably designed to provoke the deplorables into acting deplorable in very visible ways, emphasizing the point.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pakled posted:

True, though of course, it's not everything. Bill had net +19 approval going into the 2000 election and we all know how that turned out.

There's one key difference though: Gore ran from Clinton until the last weeks of his campaign; Hillary has been campaigning for Obama's third term since last year.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zwabu posted:

^^efb

The other thing is that the comment is also probably designed to provoke the deplorables into acting deplorable in very visible ways, emphasizing the point.

It's also easier to lend credence to when you can point to David loving Duke as a vocal Trump supporter.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

RuanGacho posted:

C'mon thread, one week ago the general consideration was "uh Hillary isn't talking that's a problem" and now there's hand wringing over the fact that she did after labor day, say something in a calculated way.
I do like this. Still am for gulaging the media for being poo poo heads.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Night10194 posted:

It's also easier to lend credence to when you can point to David loving Duke as a vocal Trump supporter.

Or Vladimir Putin

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Making angry white racists foam at the mouth is hilarious and intended. They then go off and say/do angry racist things.

Misogyny too.

doubling down is good and cool and it shows confidence, you see

how can this be so wrong when it feels right :shepface:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pakled posted:

Gore ran a campaign of distancing himself from Bill, Hillary is running a campaign with the explicit promise of a continuation of the Obama Administration. I mean, obviously people aren't voting for an actual Obama 3rd term, because Michelle would hunt them down and kill them, but it's a very different situation than 2000.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

doubling down is good and cool and it shows confidence, you see

how can this be so wrong when it feels right :shepface:

i wish there was a KFC near me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Pakled posted:

It didn't help that Gore tried to distance himself from Clinton as much as possible during the campaign on the assumption that the 8 years of manufactured Clinton scandals would hurt him if he was seen as Bill Clinton's third term.

• Locked thread