Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm salary exempt (and have had to do poo poo like work 20 hour days 4 days in a row sandwiched between long flights). It's also expected in my company to work weekdays and fly weekends because my coworkers set precedent and have no balls. I think I'm the only one giving the company a hard time about their policies. Everyone else just rolls over.

The clincher is that I've been asked to be there Saturday because the work week in Israel starts Sunday, but all of the flights they will approve will get me there Sunday (because flights on Friday are more expensive, you see :downs: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not offering to pay. It literally says I'm responsible to pay the difference if I fly a non approved flight in the travel policy. People have gotten screwed on reimbursements that way in the past.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Spend your extra ten hours of traveling time polishing up your resume.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KillHour posted:

I'm salary exempt (and have had to do poo poo like work 20 hour days 4 days in a row sandwiched between long flights). It's also expected in my company to work weekdays and fly weekends because my coworkers set precedent and have no balls. I think I'm the only one giving the company a hard time about their policies. Everyone else just rolls over.

The clincher is that I've been asked to be there Saturday because the work week in Israel starts Sunday, but all of the flights they will approve will get me there Sunday (because flights on Friday are more expensive, you see :downs: ).

So, pretty much what we expected when you were talking about taking this job. Still better than where you were at?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yes. I'm making contacts here and actually doing things that will help my career / resume. I like almost everything about the job except how drat cheap they are about everything.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I just got an email from my travel agent that the president approved the original itinerary I requested. :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

So a travel policy this strict will be changed if you fight about it? Cmon. I'm surprised we disagree with this Kyoon. I usually agree with most posts.

I assume the "I am paying the difference myself" bit isn't used at the drop of a hat but as the final bit of fighting.

And yeah, if a company is going to be that big of dicks to you then yeah, probably not isolated and probably worth your time to look for a new gig. When I've had travel policy issues it definitely wasn't the only problem. But I used this option and got what I needed to happen.

I'm not opposed to paying the difference as long as you've fought about it a bunch and you are using it as a complete last resot "well, if you're going to be so stupid about it, can I pay the difference?" and actually following through (and also look for a new job good God). I mostly disagree that it should be either a first resort, or that it should be something that you do on a regular basis.

The only way you can get anything to change is to fight it. I don't think it's likely that the policy gets changed but unless people fight that poo poo gets normalized (like KillHour's ridiculous working schedules, which further indicate that his company is hosed Up).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair, I only did that once, and it was an "Oh poo poo, this has to happen now while you also handle your normal duties" thing and I just got word we're hiring another person to back me up.

Right now, I'm sitting in the Adirondack mountains with about 2 hours worth of emails to go through and then I'm going to sit in the hot tub, so it kind of evens out. My average is definitely well over 40 hours per week though, if you include travel time.

I have no doubt they're hosed up though. Very neurotic about some things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Barry posted:

It ain't my butt in that seat for 10 largely unnecessary hours so I have no idea how credible my threat would actually be if it was, but that poo poo sucks and I wouldn't roll over and die for terrible travel policy so easily. Especially if you have a direct line to the guy making it.

I wouldn't roll over either; nor would I make threats that aren't credible. Otherwise you're just like every other vacuum cleaner salesman who thinks he's Gordon Gekko.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have a flight with Delta next week and I'm borrowing a garment bag from my Dad and it has his delta lounge access scan key thing on it. I know he's an uber medallion member. Is it possible for me to get into the lounge if i just have them scan it and show them my flight itinerary? We have the same last name. It's not a huge deal but I thought I'd ask!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

No, they scan your boarding pass.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No, they scan your boarding pass.

Not always. I've been to a few where my Sky Club card worked and they never asked for my boarding pass. However, just flashing a PM or DM bag tag won't get you in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Not always. I've been to a few where my Sky Club card worked and they never asked for my boarding pass. However, just flashing a PM or DM bag tag won't get you in.

Really? I always get asked to scan my boarding pass. Mostly BOS, LAX, RDU, DTW, MSP at this point.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Really? I always get asked to scan my boarding pass. Mostly BOS, LAX, RDU, DTW, MSP at this point.

BNA people know me at this point so I don't show them anything. I used my club card only this year so far at TPA, PBI, MKE, Center A-term DTW, MSP, and F-term ATL.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
How the heck am I supposed to spent Hertz points?

Every time I try to book online, I only get dollar amounts even after checking the "I want to use points" box.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dexter6 posted:

How the heck am I supposed to spent Hertz points?

Every time I try to book online, I only get dollar amounts even after checking the "I want to use points" box.

You have to go all the way through the booking process and on the payment page they let you see if you can apply points. But in my experience 3/4 of the time they happily tell you that you can't use points for whatever you want to rent.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Thoguh posted:

You have to go all the way through the booking process and on the payment page they let you see if you can apply points. But in my experience 3/4 of the time they happily tell you that you can't use points for whatever you want to rent.
Yeah, sorry I left that part out, but that's what I'm getting.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dexter6 posted:

Yeah, sorry I left that part out, but that's what I'm getting.

What's frustrating is they don't tell you why you can't use points for your selection. Like, for all you know the place is happy to do a points rental for any conditions except exactly the ones you input. Or in other cases the place not accept points at all and you're just wasting your time. Though the fact its an issue period is something I dislike about Hertz. If locations can basically totally opt out of honoring your reward program then it is a lovely award program.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
That's why you always should book with National.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

It's baby's first trip to the UK coming up. Any tips, tricks or things you wish you knew before traveling across the pond?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Zaepho posted:

It's baby's first trip to the UK coming up. Any tips, tricks or things you wish you knew before traveling across the pond?

Global Entry

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

air- posted:

Global Entry

Kicking myself for just having done PreCheck instead of Global Entry. And trip is 8 days away (yup, company likes to say yes at the last moment). Not really time for that now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zaepho posted:

Bring instant noodles :downsrim:

Eat MacDonald's every day

Drink in public - OMG WE CAN DRINK IN THE STREETS

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pack less

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Man these chase awards give a lot of points but the cost of shut is outrageous. Super 8 costs $621 in point equivalent per night ok yeah

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

Man these chase awards give a lot of points but the cost of shut is outrageous. Super 8 costs $621 in point equivalent per night ok yeah

Those things are almost always terrible deals. It's much better to transfer the points to one of the other programs and redeem directly.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mackieman posted:

Those things are almost always terrible deals. It's much better to transfer the points to one of the other programs and redeem directly.

This is a good point and could be said for any card rewards program. Transferring out to another program will always be a better deal. I tried to explain that to my friend, but I don't think he understood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Zaepho posted:

Heathrow express is an insane ripoff but also worth it

Edit: the virgin arrivals lounge is pretty decent, but departures is a lot better

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mackieman posted:

Hmm yes this is a good idea.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Heading to Munich tomorrow. Anyone have any recommendations on a SIM card I can use while over there on an unlocked AT&T phone? From what I've read so far, Aldi Talk looks like the best deal. I really only need some data for a few days as I drive through Germany, Austria, Northern Italy, and Switzerland.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just grab whatever Vodafone or o2.

Better to grab a prepaid at a train station, it's cheaper and the staff/ cards are geared towards prepaid.

Like I went to an actual t mobile in Nuremberg or other cities, the process is horrible - just like going to a cellphone store in the states with lots of paperwork

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Travelling through Doha with an eight hour layover, and I would like to get a spot in the Oryx Lounge. In the old airport you could buy/book this online, ahead of time, but this seems to no longer be the case. Am I correct in this assumption?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

bolind posted:

Travelling through Doha with an eight hour layover, and I would like to get a spot in the Oryx Lounge. In the old airport you could buy/book this online, ahead of time, but this seems to no longer be the case. Am I correct in this assumption?

I haven't tried to book in advance but it's easy to buy access at the desk.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tyro posted:

I haven't tried to book in advance but it's easy to buy access at the desk.

Alright, thanks. The old site I used to book no longer lists that lounge, so I'll just assume they only accept walkins.

How are the food options (outside of lounges) in the new airport? The food court at the old one was super small and sad.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

bolind posted:

Alright, thanks. The old site I used to book no longer lists that lounge, so I'll just assume they only accept walkins.

How are the food options (outside of lounges) in the new airport? The food court at the old one was super small and sad.

I've only done a few layovers there and I was exhausted so I didn't bother to explore much. There were a few decent looking restaurants but I didn't check prices or get anything.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Oktoberfest bound! Hopefully everything doesn't horrendously flood this weekend. I want to pick up some rain gear (that I can maybe ditch)- is there a Target equivalent?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Blinkman987 posted:

December 30th is my soonest loving Global Entry appointment. gently caress this G Earth. Guess I'm stalking the page daily to try and snipe a cancellation.

Haha I am in the same boat. Initial application just got approved and the week after Christmas is their soonest availability. Were you able to get anything earlier yet?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Tyro posted:

Haha I am in the same boat. Initial application just got approved and the week after Christmas is their soonest availability. Were you able to get anything earlier yet?

My wife missed her GE appointment by 30 minutes, at the end of the day, due to multiple traffic accidents on the highway. Got there as they closed.

She is going to have to try and make a walk in happen early one morning at this rate.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on them to mail me my APEC card. Waiting patiently.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

FunOne posted:

My wife missed her GE appointment by 30 minutes, at the end of the day, due to multiple traffic accidents on the highway. Got there as they closed.

She is going to have to try and make a walk in happen early one morning at this rate.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on them to mail me my APEC card. Waiting patiently.

That sucks.

Yeah, now I am actually thinking about trying to schedule an appointment for next week in another airport where I have a short layover. They have lots of availability. Not sure if it's a good idea since it's coming back from an international flight so who knows if/how I may get delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Tyro posted:

Checked the site twice a day for about two weeks and got a random Tuesday morning appointment. This was LAX.