Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/774490259337936896

How dare she insinuate that there are racist cops!

*Shoots unarmed black man*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Instant Sunrise posted:

It didn't help that Gore tried to distance himself from Clinton as much as possible during the campaign on the assumption that the 8 years of manufactured Clinton scandals would hurt him if he was seen as Bill Clinton's third term.

yea Gore got hosed because he did the opposite of what Clinton is doing now. He tried to distance himself to protect himself from 'scandal' so Clinton's huge popularity didn't help him. Hillary is just straight up leaning into the 'yea this is more of Obama's policies in a lot of ways' and getting that bump.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I know it's been mentioned a few times but the "WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THE GAT DARND PC LIBTARDS, WE WANNA SAY WHAT WE WANNA SAY *insert racial slurs*" crowd getting so furious over this is seriously so so so delicious. That quote from last page (edit: two pages ago, this thread is fast) from Olivia whoever was kinda taken out of context, she was comparing Hilldawg saying this about 7 million people vs Trump insulting 2 billion Mexicans.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

iospace posted:

Nah, they don't need artist permission if they go through this one group. Came up during the RNC.

It's not clear what they actually did on that stream from the post, but to nitpick...

What is paid for by blanket fees at every event/venue is playing songs in the room, unsync'd with accompanying video. So a DJ or coverband can't be sued for performing a live show, department stores can play Spotify, and the RNC can play Neil Young or whatever as a walk-up song.

Those standard agreements absolutely do not cover streaming/broadcast rights, or producing any videos with copyrighted music in them. In practice it's a fuzzy line. Generally if a broadcast's ambient mics pick up a song playing its OK but if you route the song straight from the mixing console to the broadcast deck, you can be liable. If you produce a video you want a soundtrack for without licensing, you have to figure out a way to trigger the song separately from the video at your event, rather than making it a part of the video.

tl;dr You can plug your iPod into the PA system at your show with no worries. You cannot do the same with your broadcast.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

iospace posted:

Yeah, I think we all had hot takes a little too quickly, because this was a comment designed to go public, not stay private like 47%.

She knew what she was doing.

Yeah, but that was assuming that the quote would be reported as it was said. The intent was to separate those who support Trump because of his alt-right opinions and those who want to vote Republican due to dissatisfaction with the status quo; however, the reporting has been entirely focused on the first half of that, and thus has been portraying it as an offensive, inexcusable gaffe.

Just had the TV on CNN briefly as I used the treadmill, and they've already started vilifying Hillary and running reaction pieces with shocked Trump supporters talking about how she's "distracting from the fact that she should be in jail right now," without calling out the lies in their statements or explaining what she actually said in the slightest. People will remember what it was reported that she said, rather than what she actually said.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

lmao imagine the thought process that resulted in this tweet

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

St. Dogbert posted:

Yeah, but that was assuming that the quote would be reported as it was said. The intent was to separate those who support Trump because of his alt-right opinions and those who want to vote Republican due to dissatisfaction with the status quo; however, the reporting has been entirely focused on the first half of that, and thus has been portraying it as an offensive, inexcusable gaffe.

Just had the TV on CNN briefly as I used the treadmill, and they've already started vilifying Hillary and running reaction pieces with shocked Trump supporters talking about how she's "distracting from the fact that she should be in jail right now," without calling out the lies in their statements or explaining what she actually said in the slightest. People will remember what it was reported that she said, rather than what she actually said.
Actually no one will give a poo poo in a week

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

St. Dogbert posted:

CNN really is showing that if Trump doesn't win its going to see a serious drop in its ratings after the election because if Trump doesn't win it will be thrown under the bus with everyone else as Trump launches his network and declares them the reason he lost and dems no longer tune in because hey, you spent the entire year lobbing softballs at Trump and lying to take down Hillary.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Also 538 updated with a bunch of polls from 9/2-8 and things are looking good I think? Yeah.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
In November 2000 there was also a palpable sense that The Party Is Over (in a social and economic sense, not political party).

That's not really the case this year.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ulf posted:

In November 2000 there was also a palpable sense that The Party Is Over (in a social and economic sense, not political party).

One thing that I really was happy about during this tech boom is that it didn't nearly infect the public consciousness like the 90s one did. But then that might have just been 2008 making everyone wary enough.

Also I know I keep repeating this about a reverse seventies but oes anyone else get the idea that the GOP is like the dems in the late 60s. Yes now part of the dems losing was tied to racists mad over CRA, but rioting in the scale that was happening and the fact that unlike in Korea or WW2 you ha=d a vocal anti war movement did worry alot of people enough for them to believe the dems had lost the pot (Not denying we shouldn't have gone into nam, just noting the general American tendency for support of the cold war). The GOP may still ctonrol congress and state governments but they defintley like the dems at the time seem to spend more time fighting themselves then governing or going at the dems.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 10, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

St. Dogbert posted:

This is my worry. She should have led off with "while a large percentage of Trump supporters are decent people blah blah blah there is also a significant amount that are..." and then drop the deplorable bomb. By going with the deplorable thing first no one listened to anything she said afterwards. Also shouldn't have said "half" even though we all know it's true.

Uh oh, I'm definitely arzying here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is my worry. She should have led off with "while a large percentage of Trump supporters are decent people blah blah blah there is also a significant amount that are..." and then drop the deplorable bomb. By going with the deplorable thing first no one listened to anything she said afterwards. Also shouldn't have said "half" even though we all know it's true.

It wouldn't matter, they would cherry pick it anyway.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/774657620120444929
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/774658005686112257

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
who gives a gently caress either way, that quote does not magically create more white males so trump's still as hosed.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

Funny how all of Trump's acolytes and surrogates have to type in that distinctive all-caps, screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs chain email from grandpa cadence.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That quote set off a hundred million personal conversations about whether Trump's supporters are racist. Any conversation between a deplorable and someone who's only voting R out of habit on this subject is going to have the deplorable saying a lot of things to make the other one back away slowly. She's shaking the tree for loose voters and making sure Trump's campaign looks even more unappealing while all the deplorables froth in their anger.

This argument reminds me of when BLM is discussed here a little bit. D&D Messaging Experts think making people mad is an automatic failure, like that could never be the reaction you were going for.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

We've reached the point of the election where every tiny detail gets blown up into a thousand-article, million-tweet and 500 USpol page discussion about how Clinton is over. Oh wait, we've already been there for the past year

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Not Racist for sure

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

straight up brolic posted:

I'm coming up blank

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/MoElleithee/status/774620073151631360
Probably the sanest take, but it also (somewhat?) overlooks that she didn't say all of Trump's backers.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

https://twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/774473789543440384

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/MoElleithee/status/774620073151631360
Probably the sanest take, but it also (somewhat?) overlooks that she didn't say all of Trump's backers.

Thanks for the hot take South Park.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yea, get a grip

the republicans are going to be continually self owned as more racists from their camp slide out from rooftops, underneath cars and doorframes going "actually, im not racist BUT..." all the way until november 8 and the more they bring it up, the worse it gets for them, especially if they double down on being a proud deplorable.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah, the media seriously needs to stop white-knighting for this.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Theyll deny it and deny it and deny it and Hillary will just play various racist/misogynistic things from the past year at Trump events.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:wow:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, everything Clinton said is true, regardless of optics.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The point is that this can galvanize Trump supporters. Unless Hillary backs this up right loving now they are going to happily coopt the Basket of Deplorables label and circle the wagons around it. It provides enthusiasm. It doesn't matter that the context is that the other half of Trump supporters are all decent people, that message has already been lost.

It's like how biker gangs have long since coopted the whole 1%er thing.

Good, I want them fresh and motivated for the destruction of their hopes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Iron Lung posted:

I know it's been mentioned a few times but the "WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THE GAT DARND PC LIBTARDS, WE WANNA SAY WHAT WE WANNA SAY *insert racial slurs*" crowd getting so furious over this is seriously so so so delicious. That quote from last page (edit: two pages ago, this thread is fast) from Olivia whoever was kinda taken out of context, she was comparing Hilldawg saying this about 7 million people vs Trump insulting 2 billion Mexicans.

Clinton can only insult millions. Low energy! Health problems?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ulf posted:

This year also has a SCOTUS appointment right there, waiting to be filled. Sure, every election has that in the background but with some high profile 4-4 decisions it's more obvious now.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

This is some fourth reich-level poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hell, they should just use that Unfiltered video as an ad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

Hell, they should just use that Unfiltered video as an ad.

Buy out a 2 minute block of ad space on NFL Sunday on NBC.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/774671133467631616

Saying half was wrong.

It's more like 3/4ths

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Night10194 posted:

Basically, everything Clinton said is true, regardless of optics.

seriously

why are you worried about a campaign that relies on fiction and is being run by a literal conman who has to lie to give any life to the very things he corrupts and stiffs.

Granted I can understand the worry when the media has been doing a lousy as gently caress job calling them out on their shenanigans and instead are encouraging it without fact checking their asses

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Don't you mean 3/5ths?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ah, she should have ridden it out, it's at least half.

Not that anything she does or says matters at this point.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
yare yare daze...

what a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Half was a bad word to use, regardless of whether or not it might be true, it comes across as overly generalizing. The sentiment still stands though.

• Locked thread