Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Catching up on my comics during this road trip and Bat-Alfred is something I didn't know I needed in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Holy buckets. Batman #5-6 turned the book from a good book to a great book.

Hellblazer #1 was kinda blah.
Titans #2 was much better than #1 and the book is decent.
Blue beetle:Rebirth was a good read.
Nightwing last issue was ok, but I may drop this after monster men. It is good book but I don't care about what is happening.

My poor budget will be wrecked with the $4 young animals books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Comixology is adding The Wild Dog series to prove there is a god.

This is the best news ever, and I dare everyone here to read the series. Behold Wild Dog in all his glory.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mr Hootington posted:

My poor budget will be wrecked with the $4 young animals books.

I feel your pain, Hootington. I went all-in with Vertigo's new stuff last year and about 3/4 was good enough to follow. Might take a club to my wallet again to gamble on Young Animal, although $1 bins at cons in 2017 may mock me for my indulgent ways.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Space Fish posted:

I feel your pain, Hootington. I went all-in with Vertigo's new stuff last year and about 3/4 was good enough to follow. Might take a club to my wallet again to gamble on Young Animal, although $1 bins at cons in 2017 may mock me for my indulgent ways.

I've been thinking about switching from buying new comics to those $1 comixology weekly specials. :v:

Edit: I can get 12 for the price of three comics!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Completely unrelated to anything, but is there a reason DC still doesn't have recap pages?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

Completely unrelated to anything, but is there a reason DC still doesn't have recap pages?

Supposedly it is literally because Marvel does it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

If there is a recap page then anybody can drop and pickup any comic!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Truly a principled company

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Roth posted:

Marvel did it first.

Also, if I'm being super cynical, because their comics are barely clocking in at 20 pages if that, and a significant segment of them are being double shipped, so spending a good 3-5 pages of every issue on recapping means that the double shipped writers only have to write thirtyish pages of content a month.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

Marvel did it first.

Also, if I'm being super cynical, because their comics are barely clocking in at 20 pages if that, and a significant segment of them are being double shipped, so spending a good 3-5 pages of every issue on recapping means that the double shipped writers only have to write thirtyish pages of content a month.

Green lanterns is such a good comic.
hal Jordan and the GL corps actually is a good comic

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They did them on Superman: Doomed, so at least there's precedent for the next crossover where chapters hop across titles.

A more DC thing to do is use brief catch-up narration at the start of the comic. The Darkseid War is the most glaring recent example I can think of.
The current Justice League has opening page news reports for this arc.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 9, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

They did them on Superman: Doomed, so at least there's precedent for the next crossover where chapters hop across titles.

A more DC thing to do is use brief catch-up narration at the start of the comic. The Darkseid War is the most glaring recent example I can think of.

Johns is renowned for being the writer who starts all his comics with "My name is Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern, gifted with the ring by an alien and the will power to control it, and now I am fighting a yellow beast from another planet that has destroyed a small town and is currently trying to steal the brain of the president and my ring lost all its power and...." etc. So basically yea, the first page of a Johns comic can be considered a recap page.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, the opening banter between Simon and Jessica felt a lot like that this newest issue.

graybook fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 10, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Midnighter + Apollo #1 preview http://www.cbr.com/midnighter-and-apollo-1/

Yup. That's just more Midnighter :)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gently caress yes, more Midnighter.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Fernando Blanco is a treasure.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
RHATO #2 Preview http://www.newsarama.com/30940-artemis-gets-a-new-origin-in-red-hood-the-outlaws-2.html#s8

Jason and Artemis relationship is off to a great start :haw:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Every time I see a RHATO page its like

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is the Fireworks Factory code for Bizarro?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

No they are wonder why it hasn't been cancelled yet. RHatO isn't doing what they want.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

I guess? Just the concept of this 'dark trinity' which is actually kind of neat, but seems to be taking forever to actually get off the ground. I dont know why I actually care since its not like Im reading the book but DT keeps posting solicits like well into issue #5 and poo poo they're still not even a team yet. Like Detective had this poo poo sewn up in ten pages or less.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean...technically this is issue two. :v: I know it feels like it's been a lot of issues since DT keeps posting things about it, but there has in fact only been two issues of it out so far (three counting the Rebirth issue, I guess)

And I can't lie, I'm foolishly interested in how they're reinventing Artemis here. Gotta show some love for the resident Wonder-family black sheep. Also interested in how she says her backstory, with the Egyptian gods promising her stuff, was all a lie. Tying into Rucka's story, maybe?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

I guess? Just the concept of this 'dark trinity' which is actually kind of neat, but seems to be taking forever to actually get off the ground. I dont know why I actually care since its not like Im reading the book but DT keeps posting solicits like well into issue #5 and poo poo they're still not even a team yet. Like Detective had this poo poo sewn up in ten pages or less.

:shrug:

I don't see a problem with Lobdell taking a slow burn approach this time. Specially after all the bitching RHATO vol. 1 from having Roy, Jason and Kori as a team from the get go.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't really think that's what people's criticism against RHATO vol 1 was about, but as long as the target audience is loving the book I guess that's all that matters.

I'm also getting thrown off because I just remembered RHATO isn't double shipping so it does feel like there's been more issues than there are solicited so far.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

I don't really think that's what people's criticism against RHATO vol 1 was about, but as long as the target audience is loving the book I guess that's all that matters.

I'm also getting thrown off because I just remembered RHATO isn't double shipping so it does feel like there's been more issues than there are solicited so far.

The lack of team building for the original RHATO wasa constant criticism, not the only one but one of the most used.

And I'd love for the book to be double shipping, having issue 1 just two weeks afters the Rebirth issue made the wait for issue felt longer than usual.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those RHATO and M&A previews make it look like it's the same book. What does DC have against trains?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really liked Batman #5. On the other hand, I was not a fan of Nightwing #4. I'm not sure I really followed what was going on all that well. I don't mind Raptor as a character, but I would think Dick would be too old to be having a "Well I'm going to hang out with my NEW daddy!" storyline. Superman was, once again, phenomenal. More Superman and Krypto punching/laser beaming The Eradicator into dust.

Is this Monster Men thing looking to be good? I'm unsure of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Between The dialogue, the short sleeves and the giant gloves Jason looks more and more like a kid trying to pretend he's an adult, which I guess makes sense but I don't think that's what the writers want me to think. Also that axe is so cartoonish it wouldn't even fit in to the DCAU.

And this is a minor nitpick I know but BOY when are any of the Red Hood artists going to learn what guns look like or how you're supposed to hold them?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

Let's not forget Convergence: The Atom.

Sad!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not that I think a single person will, but DC is trying to desperately make someone care about Hawkman again. Their solution? Kill him of course.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/09/09/%E2%80%98death-of-hawkman%E2%80%99-revealed-as-true-name-of-october-miniseries

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Any story that kills Hawkman is good

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wish they would just give up and push Hawkgirl. She's the one people mildly care about.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Not that I think a single person will, but DC is trying to desperately make someone care about Hawkman again. Their solution? Kill him of course.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/09/09/%E2%80%98death-of-hawkman%E2%80%99-revealed-as-true-name-of-october-miniseries

It was originally revealed as Hawkman and Adam Strange: Something Something and you didn't find out about it then, so mission accomplished :)

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

X-O posted:

Who cares what happens to the new 52 incarnations when the REAL hawkman will return in the next big CRISIS event book. *yawn*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

I wanted to read this! Thanks for some spoilers DC. :argh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You wanted to read a Hawkman comic, Hootington?

Willingly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Any story that kills Hawkman is good

They should have a "Hawkman Dies" monthly where he is reborn on page one and dies on page 22.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

You wanted to read a Hawkman comic, Hootington?

Willingly?

I like DC space comics and it was mostly for Adam strange. I do not mind Hawkman either. He is a good side character, but not a main character.

Edit: I think this is the 3rd or 4th rann/thangar war too lol

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rann has always been at war with Thanagar.