Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Nitrousoxide posted:

Pro bono work is not required for my license.

It was the only job i could find, but I also graduated in the middle of the great recession so I was not alone in that.

The legal aid clinic preceded my law school so it was dependent on grants and donations.

I won't deny the school used it to pump up employment numbers though.

I only needed one to be right, I got one and a half :v:

Back to whaling on MBAs. How is Long Island University's unprecedented* union busting going down?

*For a university. Par for the course in other industries.

LIU students posted:

"We aren't planning to go back to class at all until our professors are back," said Sharda Mohammed, 18, a sophomore studying philosophy. "Today I walked into my English class and the guy gave us a syllabus and told us we could leave. He couldn't even pronounce the names of the books."
Gina Pacifico, a 19-year-old sophomore from Queens, said she had a two-hour organic chemistry lecture in which the instructor left after an unproductive 40 minutes. “He didn’t teach,” Pacifico said. The business school seemed to be less affected by the lockout. Business major Gabriel Torres, 27, said his business classes were "fine, so far."

What we have here is the difference between real education and buzzword-shaped mouth flaps. Sorry kid, business education is so worthless it can be taught by any fuckbucket the college wheels in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Going back a bit, I find it passing strange that if planned economies are always so ruinously inefficient, how come the USSR went from a burned-down peasant country to the world's second industrial superpower in thirty years while also bearing the brunt of the most destructive war in modern times during that period?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ethics in accounting was a real treat. There was a huge conflict between "stop the bad stuff" and "confidentiality is super important" that the class never satisfactorily resolved, but reading between the lines it was clear that if you want to keep your job you should value confidentiality more. I didn't continue in the program after that class.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Going back a bit, I find it passing strange that if planned economies are always so ruinously inefficient, how come the USSR went from a burned-down peasant country to the world's second industrial superpower in thirty years while also bearing the brunt of the most destructive war in modern times during that period?

It's amazing what you can do if you don't give a gently caress about things like "human rights": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sea%E2%80%93Baltic_Canal#Construction

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

It's amazing what you can do if you don't give a gently caress about things like "human rights": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sea%E2%80%93Baltic_Canal#Construction

That doesn't explain why other countries that were in a similar situation and with equally low regard for human rights are still unindustrialized.

EDIT: Besides that your article notes that the whole not giving a gently caress about human rights thing might actually have hampered the project.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 10, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

A government service would measure success and efficiency, not by how much money it makes or saves, but how many people it serves, or how often it's stated objective is met.

Corporations care about money before people. Social programs are concerned with people over money. Tell me again which is the better system.

Ah the shareholder theory of value. The metric that judges a health insurance company's success by how many of its customers sicken and die without care, proving how efficient the company is at transforming customer wealth into executive profits rather than into medical care.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Nitrousoxide posted:

The BBC should be privatized.

Just coming in without reading the rest of the thread to say gently caress you, you stupid yank. (Apologies to all the not-stupid yanks itt)

Edit: Caught up and going to quote a good post:

YF19pilot posted:

NO2, you really need to stop focusing on the idea that government run businesses need to generate profit.

See, this is the problem with capitalism. Everything is about profit, to the detriment of society. You try to measure companies by "efficiency". Efficiency at what? Making money? A company which is good at making money isn't necessarily a company that is good at providing goods or services to its customers. See my previous derail about Games Workshop. Or see the more recent and better example of medicine companies preferring to keep on the tried and true sulpha rather than invest in penicillin.

A government service would measure success and efficiency, not by how much money it makes or saves, but how many people it serves, or how often it's stated objective is met.

Corporations care about money before people. Social programs are concerned with people over money. Tell me again which is the better system.

When you look at something like the NHS, it's not making money because instead of charging insane costs like privatised healthcare it is providing very good healthcare free at the point of use to literally every person in Britain.

Although if you insist on seeking an economic reason for it to exist over a social good one, I don't think it's good for the economy for people to constantly be bankrupted every time a family member gets very sick. As I understand it, medical costs are the biggest cause of bankruptcy in America.

UrbicaMortis fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

That doesn't explain why other countries that were in a similar situation and with equally low regard for human rights are still unindustrialized.

The fact that Stalin could force anyone he wanted to work for him is certainly at least part of the explanation.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Government is unaccountable because the vagaries of congress will result in local needs and vote buying.

Meanwhile, private industry is totally accountable because . . . .

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

The fact that Stalin could force anyone he wanted to work for him is certainly at least part of the explanation.

No it isn't, because the USSR had this in common with like 90% of the world at the time. In any case, I don't really see what this has to do with my original point.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Panzeh posted:

Government is unaccountable because the vagaries of congress will result in local needs and vote buying.

Meanwhile, private industry is totally accountable because . . . .

*repeats "information encoded in prices" until it starts making sense*

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Nitrousoxide posted:

The thought experiment was: state owned, competing business that exist in a market with money.

And you can buy votes via jobs for your constituents.

Well at least you answered your own question about whether it's plausible that Congress would "work for the people."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There's another example of profits confounding good service that I don't have all the details on but I wonder if someone (probs someone in the UK) can help me out with.

It's a British public transportation system, I think in London, I think the buses? Conservatives/neoliberals complained about how inefficient it was so they privatized it. And the private company made it much more efficient! By shutting down or cutting regular service to areas that used the buses infrequently compared to other areas. Of course, the people who lived there and relied on the bus were poo poo out of luck, but who cares? The bus company was turning a profit, finally.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

It was the only job i could find, but I also graduated in the middle of the great recession so I was not alone in that.
I won't deny the school used it to pump up employment numbers though.

hahaha CoE was right. Though to be fair the only volunteering I've done that didn't count for the California Junior Scholarship Federation service requirement or my parents didn't make me do was for the Bernie Sanders campaign

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
How long until no2 suggests privatizing emergency services? That's happened in parts of America and it turns out that it's an unbelievably awful idea.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Some of us in government are efficiency obsessed but that focus is entirely paired with the concept "so I can make the same budget go further and serve more people and the same people better."

Go walk into your city hall and ask if they need any volunteer work done, see what happens.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

RuanGacho posted:

Some of us in government are efficiency obsessed but that focus is entirely paired with the concept "so I can make the same budget go further and serve more people and the same people better."

But "Detect Inefficiency" is an Entrepeneur-only spell, so you can't actually do that. Should have read the class descriptions more closely, scrub. :smaug:

RuanGacho posted:

Go walk into your city hall and ask if they need any volunteer work done, see what happens.

Um excuse me I am already forced to do unpaid labor for the government, it's called "taxation."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Goon Danton posted:

But "Detect Inefficiency" is an Entrepeneur-only spell, so you can't actually do that. Should have read the class descriptions more closely, scrub. :smaug:

Um excuse me I am already forced to do unpaid labor for the government, it's called "taxation."

Our great failing of Western society may be that we let the robin hood myth turn into "taxes bad" instead of, "taxes for the benefit of only warlords is bad"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How long until no2 suggests privatizing emergency services? That's happened in parts of America and it turns out that it's an unbelievably awful idea.

Emergency services should be publicly owned and operated, or at least paid for by the public in the case of fire and ambulance.

Police should be solely in the purview of the state.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Emergency services should be publicly owned and operated, or at least paid for by the public in the case of fire and ambulance.

Why? Wouldn't emergency services perform better if they had to compete with others? You've already stated that other publicly owned operations are terrible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

So the market is always better and everything is best when privately owned, except when it isn't. Got it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Why? Wouldn't emergency services perform better if they had to compete with others? You've already stated that other publicly owned operations are terrible.

Emergency services are unique in that their users suffering from immediate harm and cannot shop around. Competition cannot work it's magic. People have proposed treating it like insurance so you do the shopping beforehand, but this fails if people just don't do it or can't pay.

And with crime, fire, and infectious diseases there are some pretty severe negative externalities if the situation is not handled right now regardless of the willingness or ability of the sufferer's ability to pay.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So the market is always better and everything is best when privately owned, except when it isn't. Got it.

I've said several times government should intervene in cases where the market cannot handle the matter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Emergency services are unique in that their users suffering from immediate harm and cannot shop around. Competition cannot work it's magic. People have proposed treating it like insurance so you do the shopping beforehand, but this fails if people just don't do it or can't pay.

And with crime, fire, and infectious diseases there are some pretty severe negative externalities if the situation is not handled right now regardless of the willingness or ability of the sufferer's ability to pay.

So if the government can handle those thing then running a postal service should be relatively easy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh, like healthcare! So you're in favor of a single-payor system, right?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh, like healthcare! So you're in favor of a single-payor system, right?

Yes

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We have evidence that the free market can't handle the matter of delivering mail to remote regions. So by that logic shouldn't you be opposed to privatizing the usps?

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

You are a liberal. Literally every stance you have is one that fits perfectly inside the bounds of modern centrist liberalism.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Cerebral Bore posted:

No it isn't, because the USSR had this in common with like 90% of the world at the time. In any case, I don't really see what this has to do with my original point.

He terrorized people into industrializing by murdering and exiling peasants until they did whatever he said, then let millions of people starve to death when it was inconvenient to feed them. Also, the goods manufactured during this rapid industrialization were really lovely because the guy working on a machine in the factory basically at gun point had no idea how to operate it. Stain didn't care though, because even though the stuff they were making was terrible, at least they made a ton of it.

E:
So yeah, the answer is basically what Alhazred told you. Any country can industrialize if you make it your only goal and are willing to kill tens of millions of people to do it.

J Corp fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 10, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ormi posted:

You are a liberal. Literally every stance you have is one that fits perfectly inside the bounds of modern centrist liberalism.

Aside from the obsession with the concept of the 'free market', yup. I'm not even sure what NO2's definition of a free market is, given that a state strong enough to handle things like emergency services, policing, and the like is going to exert market control via law enforcement if nothing else.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I'm sure that the people who launched the first satellite into space didn't know what they were doing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also USSR manufacturing was not terrible where did you get that from?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've said several times government should intervene in cases where the market cannot handle the matter.

So you're OK with gbi, then, as the market has failed to provide everybody's needs.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The free market is on the verge of causing a worldwide collapse of fish stocks, ergo we should nationalize fishing

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

J Corp posted:

He terrorized people into industrializing by murdering and exiling peasants until they did whatever he said, then let millions of people starve to death when it was inconvenient to feed them. Also, the goods manufactured during this rapid industrialization were really lovely because the guy working on a machine in the factory basically at gun point had no idea how to operate it. Stain didn't care though, because even though the stuff they were making was terrible, at least they made a ton of it.

Are you unable to comprehend context or something?

J Corp posted:

E:
So yeah, the answer is basically what Alhazred told you. Any country can industrialize if you make it your only goal and are willing to kill tens of millions of people to do it.

This is contrary to recorded history, since there have been loads of countries willing to kill their own citizens yet very few of them have managed to industrialize at the pace that the USSR did or indeed at all. When you see a special case you generally need to look for what makes that case different and not ascribe the cause to something it shares with many non-special cases.

Also I repeat my first question and also invite you to read back a bit to see what was discussed.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
A fairy good article on Soviet Industrialization to all those fawning over how great the soviets were:

http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/articles/8/stalin-and-the-drive-to-industrialize-the-soviet-union

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is contrary to recorded history, since there have been loads of countries willing to kill their own citizens yet very few of them have managed to industrialize at the pace that the USSR did or indeed at all. When you see a special case you generally need to look for what makes that case different and not ascribe the cause to something it shares with many non-special cases.

Whuch other countries made it basically their only goal to rapidly industrialize by any means necessary?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

J Corp posted:

A fairy good article on Soviet Industrialization to all those fawning over how great the soviets were:

http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/articles/8/stalin-and-the-drive-to-industrialize-the-soviet-union

Hmm good point, we should privatize social security and end the fed

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Hmm good point, we should privatize social security and end the fed

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

J Corp posted:

That is not a fairly good article.