Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

stillvisions posted:

I've played on Vive for a few hours now and there's some really neat possibilities. I'm not really sold or big on playing virutal drums beyond fun factor, but I'd love to see things like Max For Live with a VR setup, or NI's Blocks; being able to manipulate virtual modular connections in virtual space would be useful. Of all the things I played with the most was simply realizing how easy it is to lay out things in 3D with VR, and having virtual sequencers and stuff you could wire that way to MIDI outs or virtual instruments would be awesome.

A VR FractOSC would rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HerzogZwo posted:

Akai Timbre Wolf

I would still 100% buy one of these if I found one discounted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dvnz2N9-U0

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Your Computer posted:

I would still 100% buy one of these if I found one discounted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dvnz2N9-U0

Holy poo poo I never realized, I sort of know this dude. He lives a couple counties over, I've bought things from him a couple times.

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
Hey guys, been a few months since I posted. Between moving, quitting my job, and going back to school it's been an eventful summer. Back in May when I last stopped in, I was still waiting for my MS-20 to arrive and only had a Pocket Operator for hardware. In my new place I have space in my bedroom for a little studio corner/electronics lab. Been building a few smaller things, and I'm about to take my first venture into eurorack. I have two PCB/panel kits on the way; a Synthrotek Super Power and a Thomas Henry 555 VCO. I'm a little overwhelmed with options going forward.

When you guys started out with euro, what were the first five modules you bought/made? There are so many different directions to go in, I'm constantly changing my mind on what I want next.

Here are some pics of my setup.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i started with a make noise rosie, richter wogglebug, maths, moddemix and an intellijel uvcf (it wasnt long before i filled out my 3u with a doepfer matrix mixer ((<3!)), STO, LXD,and a plague bearer, as i had planned the row out for eevvvvv eerrrrr)
i went euro to have something more portable than my kb synths, so being able to plug straight into an amp or pedal and not having to worry about it made me want the rosie, though many people are of the opinion that output modules are unnecessary im happy with it (except for the cue headphone out being mono so it wont play nice with my trrs phones)

maths is a gimme for any euro rack, but since youre into diy you could look at random source or elby for a different euro take on the serge dusg

also youll need more mixers than you think, they slip under the radar like vcas

e: oh and i just moved to an elite 208 so if you need a case ive got a pittsburgh cell 90 available

byob historian fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 9, 2016

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This is pretty interesting.
https://deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-generative-model-raw-audio/

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Shockingly, the new 909 sounds worse than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWlxhzjt2E

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
How dull. What happened to the highs?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

It's certainly attractive enough, nice compact package. Good they kept the trigger out but disappointing there's no individual outs. If I didn't have Too Many drum machines already I'd probably be interested in grabbing one on the inevitable GC sale / coupon.

Also battery or uUSB powered is awesome. Electro busking has never been easier these days.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
If you use the USB audio interface, apparently it has the main stereo outs, plus 4x indepedent stereo pairs, with controllable routing via some menu diving (http://cdm.link/2016/09/rolands-new-303-909-might-even-better-originals/).

I kinda like them, ordered a TR-09 today from Bax, will probably pick up a TB-03 at some point too.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zRJn-9E2M

:stare::stare::stare::stare: :sax:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I've finished my 1.0 build of my Smile2CV device. I took peoples advice from various places and stuck to USB power and didn't go Eurorack this time. For the 2.0, I want to add detection for other things besides smiles, users can choose between with a knob. I love the idea of a dial that can select between things like smiles and bananas.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mario Incandenza posted:

If you use the USB audio interface, apparently it has the main stereo outs, plus 4x indepedent stereo pairs, with controllable routing via some menu diving (http://cdm.link/2016/09/rolands-new-303-909-might-even-better-originals/).

I kinda like them, ordered a TR-09 today from Bax, will probably pick up a TB-03 at some point too.

I was more excited about the tr-09 when I first heard about these, but the tb-03 looks amazing out of the bunch with all the added features.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I was more excited about the tr-09 when I first heard about these, but the tb-03 looks amazing out of the bunch with all the added features.

i cant figure out anything that makes it more appealing than the tt-303 other than the price which is certainly nicer, and i guess not needing the midi adapter cable

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i cant figure out anything that makes it more appealing than the tt-303 other than the price which is certainly nicer, and i guess not needing the midi adapter cable

Built in effects (overdrive, delay/reverb) and audio over USB is a nice bonus as well. The tr-09 only has compression on the snare and bass.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
It makes very little sense compared to a $499 TR-8, but the TR-09 appears to look pretty great while the TR-8 is loving hideous so good job Roland, I guess. Although conforming it and the TB-03 to the weird kickstandy Boutique chassis was a real negative in my opinion.

The System-8 seems decently compelling. It kinda takes a lot of the (flagging) shine out of the Jd-XA though.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Got to play around with some of the new Roland stuff on the weekend. The 303 and 909 are what they are - I'm not picky enough to be able to detect major subtle nuances, but they seem like they'd be a lot of fun to have. If they were volca priced I'd probably bite sooner or later. As it is I have a RYTM so the 909 would be for fun more than anything.

They were demoing the wind controller - the sound is pretty impressive (there's a bagpipe one that just seems evil on their part to include) but it seems like almost no effort was made to try and make it into a controller instrument. Give me wireless, a MIDI breakout port etc. and this is interesting but instead it's just a USB port and speaker out and apparently all customization is done in-instrument menu rather than through USB. Definitely more of a "band in a box" performer's instrument than relentless MIDI experimentation piece from the guy talking about.

I'm surprised to say this, but the System 8 really does have me tempted. I don't have an unabashedly digital synth and that thing seems like a good way to fill that niche. Waiting for real price info though. Also the prototype didn't have the plug-outs installed, so I want to know how the 106 sounds. I've been eyeing the boutique 106 anyway, so if this fills that role than it's more points in favor of it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

stillvisions posted:

Got to play around with some of the new Roland stuff on the weekend. The 303 and 909 are what they are - I'm not picky enough to be able to detect major subtle nuances, but they seem like they'd be a lot of fun to have. If they were volca priced I'd probably bite sooner or later. As it is I have a RYTM so the 909 would be for fun more than anything.

The 909 doesn't sound good enough to me to justify a purchase especially since I already have a library of samples from the 909 that sound 'good enough' to me.

The tb-03 on the other hand seems really awesome. I've been using ABL3 for acid lines and it's pretty good but I really like the idea of having a physical box to write and of course twiddle nobs on. I'm probably going to buy one in a few months.

I've read that the tb-03 doesn't have the same low end that the tb-303 has. Did you feel like there was a discernible difference between the two? Do you think it's better or worse than software emulators?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think they look cool as gently caress to tool around with and make wannabe AFX acid tracks or whatever.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thank the maker! MFOS PCBs are available again!

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/08/music-from-outer-space-diy-projects-now-available-again/

I had been lamenting their unavailability recently. I wanted to build my own modular, but PCBs were always the sticking point. I had a few MFOS modules laid out on veroboard, but really didn't want to do things that way.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Excellent - I've wanted to build a Weird Sound Generator for a bit. (RIP Ray Wilson)

I'm a complete DIY newbie... How do I go from the parts list on the website to a shopping cart full of components? I've seen people talk about Mouser in the past.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I've read that the tb-03 doesn't have the same low end that the tb-303 has. Did you feel like there was a discernible difference between the two? Do you think it's better or worse than software emulators?

To be honest I'm not much of a connoisseur of the 303 sound, and this was on headphones in a noisy setting. It sounded good, but I'm the last person to be able to tell, and even if it were identical I'm sure there are experts out there who'll swear it's totally wrong. I'll be needing to save my money for the System-8 anyway since at this point that's the most interesting piece of gear coming out to me.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JamesKPolk posted:

Excellent - I've wanted to build a Weird Sound Generator for a bit. (RIP Ray Wilson)

I'm a complete DIY newbie... How do I go from the parts list on the website to a shopping cart full of components? I've seen people talk about Mouser in the past.

Basically just order the parts as they appear on the list. This is a gross simplification. :)

Every electronic component has a bunch of specifications, which can include things like form factor, voltage / power / current ratings, precision, etc. Some of these things are easy to make assumptions about, e.g.:you'll need through-hole components. There are some things that are unsaid standards, e.g.: resistors are typically 1/4 watt unless specified otherwise. There are some things that require an understanding of a circuit, e.g.: capacitors need to be rated for the correct working voltage, and different types of capacitors work better for some things than others.

That said, all of the parts lists on the MFOS website are well-specified. Go on mouser or digikey and use the parametric search to find parts that match the bill of materials. The MFOS main page also has a big section on component selection, so read that, as well as all the documentation for the WSG before you order the parts and you should be fine.

Also, these components are pretty cheap. Buy twice or three times as much as you need for the cheap stuff. If you're getting into electronics, get more :) Check out other things you want to build and see what components are super common and buy 100 of them.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Rumor has it Don Buchla has died.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Tayter Swift posted:

Rumor has it Don Buchla has died.

It's true. My former professor Bob Ostertag was a good friend of his and just told me.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

stillvisions posted:

To be honest I'm not much of a connoisseur of the 303 sound, and this was on headphones in a noisy setting. It sounded good, but I'm the last person to be able to tell, and even if it were identical I'm sure there are experts out there who'll swear it's totally wrong. I'll be needing to save my money for the System-8 anyway since at this point that's the most interesting piece of gear coming out to me.

303 people are really picky about the "original/ authentic" 303 sound. If anything would past 'the test' for them do you think the tb-03 would?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, that Pittsburg SV-1 looks sweet. I was pretty sure I was going to try and save up for a Minilogue but now I know about that part of me wants to try and save up that bit extra for that.

What makes it really hard is they're both so different, like, how can you decide between "robo farting noises" and "actually a synth that'd have a practical use for me right now?"

Because if it isn't clear, I be all about dem robofarts.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The WMD Performance Mixer is $750. Peak euro achieved.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Jeez that's more than the ADDAC or even the koma quad pan mixer I've been trying not to buy.
E: my b that koma is 849, fuuuuck that

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

The WMD Performance Mixer is $750. Peak euro achieved.

that is more than i spent filling my drat case today jesus

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
and i thought the verbos scan&pan was expensive :psyduck:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Anyone with JJOS know if you can sequence sending MIDI clock to an output?

Alternatively, anyone know any midi box that will stop or start clocks with MIDI signals? Something that could work like a start/stop for MIDI clock-based sequencers (x0xb0x, SQ-1, etc) without their own.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Anyone with JJOS know if you can sequence sending MIDI clock to an output?

Alternatively, anyone know any midi box that will stop or start clocks with MIDI signals? Something that could work like a start/stop for MIDI clock-based sequencers (x0xb0x, SQ-1, etc) without their own.

i think the clock mode on the Midipal (or any of its clones, like the Midibro or Midigal) responds to the standard clock start/stop messages -- is that basically what you want, or am i misunderstanding?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I think I phrased it badly - I'm looking for something that will send MIDI start/stop based on note (or something).

I think anyway. Is there a way to send stop/start like CCs, to a channel, in the MIDI spec? The goal is to stop and start a slave clock while keeping the master clock running.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

You can send MMC transport messages from anything that'll send sysex but you'll likely have to make the snippets yourself. It's been a million years but I'm sure device id is part of the message.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

http://tiptopaudio.com/new/

Tiptop put out cheap and easy euroracks

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
$335 for 208 HP and hella power that doesn't require a μZeus. I went the three-tier Mother route but if I hadn't I'd bee looking at that pretty hard.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

https://www.elektron.se/products/analog-heat/
Of all the things they could be announcing an OTO biscuit isn't one of the things I'd be excited about. Might be real fun for acid but at the price you sure could buy a lot of RATs.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I may need to buy one of those new TipTop cases for controller / sequencer bits. Nice form-factor for desktop use. It looks really shallow though. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

HandlingByJebus posted:

I may need to buy one of those new TipTop cases for controller / sequencer bits. Nice form-factor for desktop use. It looks really shallow though. :\

Top row is 50mm, bottom is somewhere in the 60s. Pretty tight up top but the bottom should be fine for most things made in the last couple of years.