Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

IronicDongz posted:

How? Am I just supposed to build a stone wall all the way around my houses?

You can put down concrete/metal tiles, you can build a stone wall around the fire-risk areas or you could just have increased the size of your home area and had your people put the fire out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wow!

What's that armor Lark is wearing?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can put down concrete/metal tiles, you can build a stone wall around the fire-risk areas or you could just have increased the size of your home area and had your people put the fire out.
I felt like I didn't have time to do anything with concrete/metal/stone once it happened(so I guess I'll have to do it preemptively in the future), and last time I tried to put out a fire of any real size my dudes all got heatstroke and died, so I was afraid of trying to put it out. Also there was like 4 separate fires which quickly became large.

I'm probably being too cautious though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I felt like I didn't have time to do anything with concrete/metal/stone once it happened(so I guess I'll have to do it preemptively in the future), and last time I tried to put out a fire of any real size my dudes all got heatstroke and died, so I was afraid of trying to put it out. Also there was like 4 separate fires which quickly became large.

I'm probably being too cautious though.

You don't need a full wall, just a break.

You could have rushed up and built a 3-5 block wall, and the fire wouldn't have been able to spread past it. Have two of your colonists on that, and have the others quickly plant cutting the area between the break and you.

The other two fires are near meaningless. They'll burn out well before they hit your base, or it'll rain. You only ever really need to build breaks when fires happen close to home.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GenericOverusedName posted:

Out of curiosity, why'd you dig out your rock like that ?

Saves time when checking for ore, and prevents collapses.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Out of curiosity, why'd you dig out your rock like that ?

Prospecting mainly. It also makes it so my colonists don't have to detour around a mountain when I get raided and need to man the walls. Plus they can double as cover if by some miracle someone makes it through the wall. Eventually I'll expand and build in those spots, but until then they stay like that to prevent cave ins.

I'm on my 7th year now, but expansion's been slow. Most of those pawns you see there only got picked up in the past year or two, I got really unlucky with captures and only had one spontaneous join. It's finally to the point that I don't have to juggle my priorities around for harvests since I have enough haulers to get it all indoors before it rots now, which allows me to keep my craftsmen working on making things.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 10, 2016

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

LLSix posted:

Wow!

What's that armor Lark is wearing?

It's the Faction Full Plate that you can craft in the Medieval mod. Once I got enough steel stockpiled I started cranking it out for everyone, initially I just made a couple suits for my melee guys.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So I had a prison break occur.

WHY DID I THINK PUTTING MY WEAPON RACKS THERE WAS A GOOD IDEA!?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

LonsomeSon posted:

This does mean that every game I need to manually drag out a dog/hauler animal area which is literally the entire map except for the few areas I want them out of, so they can take care of an increasing portion of the hauling load as they reproduce and get trained up.

You can make an area covering what you don't want them in and then hit the invert button in the area management screen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Atticus_1354 posted:

You can make an area covering what you don't want them in and then hit the invert button in the area management screen.

Or make a new area, immediately invert which makes it the entire zone, then cut out areas you don't want them in, either works

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Atticus_1354 posted:

Mind. loving. Blown.

How have I never seen this.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
I really should not be surprised that in a in a game inspired by firefly everyone ends up playing as the reavers. :stonk:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thefluffy posted:

I really should not be surprised that in a in a game inspired by firefly everyone ends up playing as the reavers. :stonk:

Not me, I use mods that let me train my people humanely so all of my colonies don't become Dachau

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I put my beer stockpile right outside my prison area. They always go for the bottles instead of the armory like one doorway away.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I put my beer stockpile right outside my prison area. They always go for the bottles instead of the armory like one doorway away.

Smart idea, too bad it wouldn't work for PRISON BREAK 2: FRONTIER JUSTICE

I had called in 3 caravans to trade some excess weapons and animals (no more chickens thankfully) when another prison break was staged.

All the trade caravaneers went ballistic and started unloading on the escapees with their GRENADES and INCENDIARY LAUNCHERS, practically destroying my prison in the process.

edit: They almost killed my million dollar man (full bionics) with all the grenades they were throwing at the prisoner. Thank god I made plate armour part of his regular outfit.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Ha, I just build my prison cells with double thick stone walls all around and wooden doors facing in one direction: towards the back side of my turret battery.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

MadJackal posted:

Ha, I just build my prison cells with double thick stone walls all around and wooden doors facing in one direction: towards the back side of my turret battery.

All my exterior walls end up double thickness as soon as I can. Also my prisons have a sally port. That way if they get out one door I have time to beat the down before they get out of the second.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Thefluffy posted:

TBH, if there were more upsides to playing 'good' guys, I'd have a go at it. The problem is, there's just not enough meat to go around, and my dogs are hungry too. I feel like Ramsay Bolton more than the reavers, honestly. Maybe it's because I'm using the Medieval mod.

E; Now that I think of it, every year I'm harvesting my crops thinking 'winter is coming'.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 10, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The Prepare Carefully mod is great for setting up the :wtc: scenarios. I made a family of four, replaced the starting pet with a pair of wild boars, replaced the starting guns with shotguns.

Nice country family: mother does cooking, farming, and crafting; daughter helps ma with cooking and farming, and is the animal tender and trader/warden; father hunts, builds, and helps wrangle the animals; and son helps pa with the buildin' and huntin' when he isn't doing the bookwork.

And they're all sociopathic cannibals with human leather dusters and cowboy hats :kheldragar:

They recently rescued a lady from a wrecked escape pod, and then a pirate raid happened. The poor girl's having some trouble settling in with The Family

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
That's basically the reason I stopped using prepare carefully. Psychopath cannibals cut out a lot of the bullshit.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Do you even need Psychopath if you're already a cannibal?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

NatasDog posted:

That's basically the reason I stopped using prepare carefully. Psychopath cannibals cut out a lot of the bullshit.

or nerf cannibalism with prion diseases. that may help also.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Thefluffy posted:

or nerf cannibalism with prion diseases. that may help also.

If colonies actually lasted long enough for that to be a problem perhaps.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I usually play legit but every once in a while I like to start as six cannibal psychopaths with charge rifles just to show the game I can be a dick too :colbert: Also because I can actually see how big a fortress I can build before getting bored

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Party Plane Jones posted:

Psychopath keeps them from taking a mood hit when a colonist or pet dies, but I think it also basically turns off the romance system for them.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, the only real down side to psychopaths is relationship differences, and if you start off with a group of them it's basically complete harmony until you start adding outsiders.

It gives you a nice grace period to get things off the ground.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Psychopaths get no mood boost from socializing either. It can actually be harder to keep them happy since they don't really get any offsets

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Less of an offset than something like neurotic, sure. But it's a wash when you consider all of the negative mood modifiers they completely ignore; especially when it comes to the nefarious things you can do to help your colony along.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Party Plane Jones posted:

Cannibals still get upset at the idea of cutting up people like animals. Psychopaths don't care about the butchery part but still don't like eating people.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cannibals still get upset at the idea of cutting up people like animals. Psychopaths don't care about the butchery part but still don't like eating people.

Cannibals don't mind butchering any more as of A15 at least. I forget if they still hate seeing bodies though.

EDIT: Just got a heat wave and a solar flare together, jokes on you Randy I opted to cheap out by mass woodcutting and sticking passive coolers everywhere :c00lbert:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Boy howdy pirates really hate the everloving poo poo out of my turkey coop and the turkeys in it.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Overwined posted:

Boy howdy pirates really hate the everloving poo poo out of my turkey coop and the turkeys in it.

Yeah, I'm relatively thankful in the early game when my food sources can play interference while I shoot them. Saves me the trouble of slaughtering them later. It really sucks when your trained animals end up being cannon fodder in the late game though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Azhais posted:

Or make a new area, immediately invert which makes it the entire zone, then cut out areas you don't want them in, either works

Atticus_1354 posted:

:aaaaa:

I honestly have never had a problem getting an embarkation up past basic subsistence which could have been solved by cannibalism. Usually if that happens it's going to be someone getting killed or crippled in an early event leading to a break chain, and while cannibalism might wind up happening as part of the failure spiral I'm usually in bad enough shape that a raid will knock the place over instead of resulting in edible contributions.

Also my favorite thing about this game so far is that I can feel like I'm taking the moral high ground because I only feed the corpses of my enemies to my tamed animal herds, instead of to my population.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NatasDog posted:

Any questions, ask.

First thing that struck me is how happy people are. How are you getting so much joy?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Now I admit I'm no doctor, but that seems a little more than a minor failure. I just wanted to replace that kidney :(

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

I opened up an ancient wall and also found Luciferium and a shock lance... Plus a bonus 236 units of human leather! :toot:

Clearly some poo poo went on in there.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Now I admit I'm no doctor, but that seems a little more than a minor failure. I just wanted to replace that kidney :(

Are you a doctor irl? Then STFU you have no idea how hard and confusing kidneys can be.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
gently caress alphabeavers man.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Danaru posted:

The surgery is pants-on-head retarded in this game. Literally, your surgeons are so stupid they probably wear their pants on their head. Doesn't matter how much skill in medicine they have, how good the medicine they're using is, or how brightly-lit and sterile the operating environment is. They will empty your patient's abdominal cavity while trying to fit them for a hook hand, because Tynan demands it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
For the beavers, wait until they fall asleep and then send out some drafted people to shoot their fuzzy butts.

Or blow them up with a mortar, that's always fun too