Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

1994 Camry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Seems like my passenger side door doesn't lock/unlock electronically. It unlocks when I pull the handle from the inside (I'm guessing that's a mechanical linkage). It doesn't have an external lock cylinder on the passenger side, so I can't check just turning the key.

I'm assuming the lock mechanism/switch is busted. What do I need to check to find what has to get replaced?

Volkswagen MKV GTI 2 door.

Edit: of course, the mechanical and electrical components look like they are one big unit and I need to remove the exterior door skin to get at them. Joy.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 11, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
This is a short-term thing, but is there any risk of having just one sway bar end link bolted in? The passenger side bolt's threads got stripped and won't go back in :argh:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Effectively you won't have a swaybar, as the whole point behind the bar is it pushes the outboard side wheel back down onto the road.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Right, but with both disconnected, it's rubbing against the half-shafts and making an un-lovely grinding noise as I go down the road.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Aside from loving with handling it shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't make any sudden sharp turns at speed and you should be fine.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bitchin, that's kinda what I thought!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I took the front on my VW out completely, it'll have a minor effect on handling at best.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Can someone tell me what car this is?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

devilmonk posted:

Can someone tell me what car this is?

Toyota Crown, 1971-74

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Crown

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ah man just 3 minutes late. I did some real detective work for this one too since I had no idea what it was.

Holy poo poo this car is awesome. Comes in ute and station wagon models.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cage posted:

Ah man just 3 minutes late. I did some real detective work for this one too since I had no idea what it was.

Holy poo poo this car is awesome. Comes in ute and station wagon models.

That's a great picture. I just googled "old japanese crown car", found the Wikipedia article, and then played match the mirrors/headlights/grille.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The more people that appreciate Crowns, the better. The estate versions are immense.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Safety Dance posted:

That's a great picture. I just googled "old japanese crown car", found the Wikipedia article, and then played match the mirrors/headlights/grille.
That's basically what I googled, except I started with "car logo looks like a flask" before realizing what it actually was.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

88h88 posted:

The more people that appreciate Crowns, the better. The estate versions are immense.

Old crowns are pretty cool but a lot of the later second hand ones here in Japan are just driven by idiot kids who do stupid VIP car stuff and drive around with their high beams on.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Thanks for the info everyone! That particular Crown I used to walk by everyday in Beijing and it never occurred to me to ask what is was until now.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

I'd like to get a timing belt / tensioner / pulleys / water pump for a 2011 Subaru Legacy either Limited or Premium 2.5 DOHC for less than the 700 or so the dealership is suggesting. Ebay motors is giving me some results but they look like they won't fit if my engine isn't turbocharged. The only code I could find on my engine was EJ25, which doesn't seem descriptive based on the wiki page for the EJ engine. Also I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Subaru...FJRJXWV&vxp=mtr

Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ255

Any good ideas?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How much does it cost to grt an audio system installed

My car is a 2005 Nissan Altima and I just really want to have a loving aux port, that's all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ZenVulgarity posted:

How much does it cost to grt an audio system installed

My car is a 2005 Nissan Altima and I just really want to have a loving aux port, that's all

What trim level do you have? The factory HU might have a port on the back for one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Or barring that, an FM modulator would give you aux in for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of an aftermarket head unit. Not to be confused with a lovely FM transmitter - FM modulators splice into the antenna cable and inject the signal directly into the head unit.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rhyno posted:

What trim level do you have? The factory HU might have a port on the back for one.

A 3.5 SE

Geoj posted:

Or barring that, an FM modulator would give you aux in for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of an aftermarket head unit. Not to be confused with a lovely FM transmitter - FM modulators splice into the antenna cable and inject the signal directly into the head unit.

Really just anything, so if this works I'd be down with that as well. The FM transmitters truly are dogshit bad.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Jeep Cherokee. Sept. 94 build date. RHD. 4.0L Sport.

The blower fan has stopped working. Discovered it a couple of days ago. Worked fine until then. It had been raining in the interim. Started the car and no fan.
I checked the fuses. Couldn't find anything amiss. Replaced the fuse in case there was a crack internally that I couldn't see or something. Wiggled stuff. Poked at the fan with a stick to make sure it still turned. Turns freely. Where else can I look to sort this out?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

General_Failure posted:

Jeep Cherokee. Sept. 94 build date. RHD. 4.0L Sport.

The blower fan has stopped working. Discovered it a couple of days ago. Worked fine until then. It had been raining in the interim. Started the car and no fan.
I checked the fuses. Couldn't find anything amiss. Replaced the fuse in case there was a crack internally that I couldn't see or something. Wiggled stuff. Poked at the fan with a stick to make sure it still turned. Turns freely. Where else can I look to sort this out?

In a junkyard? Alternatively, you could run 12v to the fan directly from the battery to test it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Where else can I look to sort this out?

You're going to need a young priest an and old priest.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EightBit posted:

In a junkyard? Alternatively, you could run 12v to the fan directly from the battery to test it.

I'd start with something like this. If it works, you know it's a wiring problem or the switch. If it doesn't, you know the motor's dead.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Is it a dumb idea to buy a $950 volvo 240 with 250,000 miles on it to learn how to drive a manual? I've always liked the little tanks, and figured it'd be better than ruining my dad's Mustang or my buddy's Evo, though either have offered.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

DrHolmesPhD posted:

I'd like to get a timing belt / tensioner / pulleys / water pump for a 2011 Subaru Legacy either Limited or Premium 2.5 DOHC for less than the 700 or so the dealership is suggesting. Ebay motors is giving me some results but they look like they won't fit if my engine isn't turbocharged. The only code I could find on my engine was EJ25, which doesn't seem descriptive based on the wiki page for the EJ engine. Also I have no idea what I'm doing.

Ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Subaru...FJRJXWV&vxp=mtr

Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ255

Any good ideas?

The timing belt kit is something you absolutely do not want to cheap out on, unless you like pulling the engine apart when the belt fails or a tensioner lets it jump timing. Find a Subaru parts dealer online, or at least get a quality aftermarket brand from rockauto.com. A quick check on Rockauto shows the complete timing belt kit w/water pump for about $300 for an Aisin kit. Continental is a little more expensive.

If jamal happens to see this, he's our Subaru god.

Also, is the dealer asking $700 including labor? Or just for parts? If that includes labor, that's not terrible. They're insane if they want that just for the parts.

spouse posted:

Is it a dumb idea to buy a $950 volvo 240 with 250,000 miles on it to learn how to drive a manual? I've always liked the little tanks, and figured it'd be better than ruining my dad's Mustang or my buddy's Evo, though either have offered.

I taught myself by buying a beat up Honda and trying to get it home. I'd driven manual a couple of times, but only had a couple of miles under my belt.

tl;dr go for it

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spouse posted:

Dooooo it!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spouse posted:

Is it a dumb idea to buy a $950 volvo 240 with 250,000 miles on it to learn how to drive a manual?

gently caress no, it's an awesome idea. I've been looking for a beater for a while and you've just reminded me I should expand my search to include old Volvos.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

gently caress yeah, thank you random car people. I shall go to the terribly inexpensive rural car lot this weekend and see if it's running okay.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

spouse posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I want to do for my kid.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I want to do for my kid.

I learned on a 12yo hilux and my dad told me if you can't do this you've got no business driving. I've had 4 vehicles in 18 years and three of them were manuals. I only had the automatic for two years.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
240 wagons are easy to learn on but depressingly slow and parts are kinda high. Why not look at a newer ford ranger and not deal with late 70's rigged up stuff?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Is it a dumb idea to..."

Posted in the forum that encouraged a guy to smoke owl poo poo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The 240 idea is a great idea. God help you if you have to replace the rear suspension bushings, but other than that everything is laughably easy to fix and parts really aren't that expensive.
I bought one for $500 as a backup vehicle, fixed it up, and gave it to a friend who needed a car. He drove it into the ground and when it came time to pass inspection he just took it to a demolition derby instead.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are things you check on a car, when you're buying it, that are go/no-go. Model-specific things, like on an ACVW beetle you poke the heater channels/rockers with an awl, or you check the starter function on a northstar Cadillac.

On a 240, the deal breaker is the blower motor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Geirskogul posted:

There are things you check on a car, when you're buying it, that are go/no-go. Model-specific things, like on an ACVW beetle you poke the heater channels/rockers with an awl, or you check the starter function on a northstar Cadillac.

On a 240, the deal breaker is the blower motor.

oh... yeah that's probably not gonna work.
But if you don't need heat or AC then it's fine.

Or you could just nut up and fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXbnM3D6Q1Y

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Christobevii3 posted:

240 wagons are easy to learn on but depressingly slow and parts are kinda high. Why not look at a newer ford ranger and not deal with late 70's rigged up stuff?

I mean, to be honest, I don't plan on driving it for long. I've had an automatic (Toyota Solara '07) for 10 years since I graduated high school. I have a big boy job now, and while the 101,000 mile solara is aging well, it's starting to show it, and I'm looking mostly at hot hatches for my next car (Golf GTI, WRX, Focus ST). I've driven a manual once, and I want to have a few weeks worth of driving one before I decide if I want it as my daily driver, or if I wanna get a people carrier and a project car.

There are other cars there, I just liked the 240 because I always liked the look of them, and if I can knock out a car on my "list" to own for that cheap, why not?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The 240 idea is a great idea. God help you if you have to replace the rear suspension bushings, but other than that everything is laughably easy to fix and parts really aren't that expensive.
I bought one for $500 as a backup vehicle, fixed it up, and gave it to a friend who needed a car. He drove it into the ground and when it came time to pass inspection he just took it to a demolition derby instead.

I may have to do this eventually.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

You're going to need a young priest an and old priest.

I think you are on to something.

All fuses check out in the engine bay block and under the dash.
The resistor wire block thing for the fan looks to be in good condition.
With the fan switch on MAX and trying various settings, all wires in the connector that go to the resistor block read 0v.
On AC settings, the AC compressor doesn't seem to try to engage.

Something is dead here and I don't know what. I need a Jeep oracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Something is dead here and I don't know what. I need a Jeep oracle.

Quick, somebody call kastein!