Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the lumia 950's brightness range is 1 to 628 nits and the auto brightness control is so well calibrated that you will never touch the brightness settings ever.

I unironically love this gimmick

The 950 wasn't a good enough phone to keep me on the sinking ship though. The 900 was the high point of WP IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

the lumia 950's brightness range is 1 to 628 nits and the auto brightness control is so well calibrated that you will never touch the brightness settings ever.

so is an iphone, but the iphone actually has software and supports your email accounts and stuff

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
my work email/calendaring doesn't work on winphone or android after a certain update level and it's very amusing to me to identify the idiots by their complaining

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so is an iphone, but the iphone actually has software and supports your email accounts and stuff

nah iphones have poo poo screens

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my work email/calendaring doesn't work on winphone or android after a certain update level and it's very amusing to me to identify the idiots by their complaining

you'd have to be using some terrible Linux garbage for it to not work on winphone.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

I don't think a fitness app is worth having to deal with ios or android

strava is pretty good though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i have no idea what it is but it only supports iphone, blackberry, and android revisions that retain activesync support

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

triple sulk posted:

strava is pretty good though

yeah it's the best way to track all my bicycle rides that aren't commuting to and from work

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

if i was ever gonna stop using my se i'd probably go winphone but welp, even microsoft got on the huge phone train so no thanks.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Blue Train posted:

smoke weed every day

smoke weed till it becomes a chore imo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Also my wife has an iPad she got as a gift from my parents and if you ask her she'll say she loves it but she hasn't used the thing in literal months

She is right now as I type this couch-browsing (aka the #1 use case for tablets) with her giant 6-year-old MBP balanced on her stomach

maybe the mbp has the right dimensions to balance on your wife's stomach, whereas the ipad would just sink in?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

epic point missage

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

you can get a decent cateye gps computer for like $130 that supports ant+ and syncs to strava, but for the latter you have to use their desktop software that's so lovely it was actually worth buying a garmin to not have to deal with it anymore

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

fits my needs posted:

maybe the mbp has the right dimensions to balance on your wife's stomach, whereas the ipad would just sink in?

:chanpop:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

Also my wife has an iPad she got as a gift from my parents and if you ask her she'll say she loves it but she hasn't used the thing in literal months

She is right now as I type this couch-browsing (aka the #1 use case for tablets) with her giant 6-year-old MBP balanced on her stomach

got my SO an iPad for christmas last year and I have not seen her laptop once since. i thought for sure there would be some video site that she uses that didn't work without flash or something, but nope.

with respect to Flash and HTML5, it really seemed like as soon as Apple dropped Flash, the whole industry was like, welp HTML5 it is. I bought an original iPad near launch and there was no shortage of compatible video online, basically immediately. and that was amid consumer outrage so strong that Adobe bought ads slamming Apple, Steve Jobs fired back in an open letter, etc.

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

loquacius posted:

couch-browsing with her giant 6-year-old MBP balanced on her stomach

hello new fetish

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

iOS 10 is fast as h*ck but the messaging changes are legitimately terrible and make the phone feel like a toy for non-technical women or children

I can't figure out how to turn all the stupid drawing/bubble types/word-to-emoji highlighting off

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

you may not know this because you don't go there, but when your outside its easier to see a phone screen if its brighter.

I typically enjoy the outside when I'm there and avoid using my phone anyway

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

loving millennials wouldn't know anything about that tho

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BiohazrD posted:

vibrating hole

text me

Smythe posted:

Nah. The Nexus 6P is the best smartphone on the market. Just get over it say "suits my needs" without any more of this pathetic reaching. The SE isn't even an Apple flagship, lol. Deal with it, dude.

android is sub-optimal but lol at buying the cheapo apple phone. way to miss the entire point

zen death robot posted:

i didn't get thet jet black one because apple straight up says it scuffs easy and it had a 2 month wait

same. i am going to upgrade from my 6s black to a 7+ gold. since verizon has apparently gotten rid of all their upgrade incentives that don't involve paying them extra $ monthly for 2 years I just bought it through apple and will get another upgrade in a year's time.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
*nerd hits ipo lottery and goes to buy a new ferrari*

umm do you have anything smaller and slower? i dont need this much power and my hands dont fit on the steering wheel

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dislike button posted:

*nerd hits ipo lottery and goes to buy a new ferrari*

umm do you have anything smaller and slower? i dont need this much power and my hands dont fit on the steering wheel

the donald trump experience

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have a friend who has told me he just 100% doesn't understand the appeal of cars and if he won the lottery he'd still just keep buying corollas because the type of car he drives does not enter his mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i have a friend who has told me he just 100% doesn't understand the appeal of cars and if he won the lottery he'd still just keep buying corollas because the type of car he drives does not enter his mind.

this is like 99% of car buyers and why the top selling car in the us is the camry

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
you dont buy cars like that for yourself. you buy them so other people know you have one. in any case this is all really stretching my car analogy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

the rare lottery winner that will actually be rich in a decade

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I would rent baller cars when I went on vacation but yeah I'd stick with my Prius. maybe bump up a trim model or two.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Endless Mike posted:

this is like 99% of car buyers and why the top selling car in the us is the camry

the top selling car in the us is the f-150

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Raluek posted:

the top selling car in the us is the f-150
uh thats not a car, it's a truck, dummy.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PleasureKevin posted:

the very first android phone ever had no headphone port and required a dongle

i need to find my box with prototypes of these in it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Linguica posted:

uh thats not a car, it's a truck, dummy.

its a car the same way a phablet is a phone

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

C.H.O.M.E posted:

i have a waterproof case that requires an extension on the headphone cable, and in my experience it screws with the headphone plug/unplug detection, probably because the impedance looks weird when you have multiple wires plugged in.

it screws with the headphone plug/unplug detection because you plugged something into the headphone port.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

i need to find my box with prototypes of these in it

I got an Android G1 for free from my Master's advisor for some reason I don't remember and I was really jazzed about it when I heard, then I actually got it and was like "wow this is kind of a piece of poo poo" and I didn't even move my SIM card over, just put it in my filing cabinet drawer and never took it out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

loquacius posted:

I got an Android G1 for free from my Master's advisor for some reason I don't remember and I was really jazzed about it when I heard, then I actually got it and was like "wow this is kind of a piece of poo poo" and I didn't even move my SIM card over, just put it in my filing cabinet drawer and never took it out

they've both got tracking numbers or some poo poo laser engraved all over them. the springy sliding screen is nifty but I tried using one and as it turns out, the Operating System is a Piece of poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fits my needs posted:

OH MY GOD WHY IS APPLE MAKING US BUY A NEW CHARGER THAT IS INFINITELY SUPERIOR TO THE OLD CHARGER I ALREADY HAVE THE OLD CHARGER THIS IS INSANE

OH MY GOD I CAN'T USE MY OLD HEADPHONES WITH MY NEW IPHONE I MEAN I ALREADY HAVE AN IPHONE THAT I CAN USE MY OLD HEADPHONES WITH BUT SINCE I JUST ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BUY THE NEW ONE APPLE IS MAKING ME BUY IT THIS IS INSANE

For gently caress's sake. Hold on to your God-damned 6 if you're so worried about this completely unimportant, innocuous poo poo that doesn't matter one loving whit to anyone, anywhere, for any reason. Oh no I have to spend $17 on some bluetooth headphones and I can't charge while listening, art is dead. Get a hobby or something.

*lightning cable snaps in half at joint with connector, apple automatically withdraws $30 from bank account*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I went to the apple store so my dad could try out an iPhone Six S-Plus, which is built to be easy to use with his arthritis and bad eyesight. I gave the iPhone SE a try and it seemed neat. but then I put it back on its dock, which apple glued to the table or some poo poo, and was extremely worried i'd snap the lightning connector off the dock or something

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

atomicthumbs posted:

it screws with the headphone plug/unplug detection because you plugged something into the headphone port.

yes, i am saying it might be a problem on the new lightning dongle if the headphone signal from the lightning port is analog too because dongles suck and are bad.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
tbh if more people bought camrys that would be a great choice for them.

it's the perfect car for non-car people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
my dudes

its okay

bluetooth still works

your bt headphones will still work wit or without the aux port

• Locked thread