Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

fronz posted:

I used it for something like that immediately before I posted.

Oh right, yeah. I know what you're talking about, sorry :downs:. Still I've found it was more used to better understand the state of the crime than to just see through lies. Idk, it occurs infrequently enough and has enough variance to stay interesting imo. :shrug:

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Anyway me making an rear end of myself aside, Episode 5 may be the greatest and most ambitious case in the series.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished Case 2. Throughout the whole thing I was expecting the murder was committed earlier, and that this was proved by the backwards handprints that nobody ever brought up, for some reason. Really pleased with the resolution, though.

Amppelix posted:

I beat it! Amazing game, best AA since 3, easily. Maybe best in the series, but we'll see how I feel about it in a week.

Did you play AAI2?

cloofish posted:

Oh right, yeah. I know what you're talking about, sorry :downs:. Still I've found it was more used to better understand the state of the crime than to just see through lies. Idk, it occurs infrequently enough and has enough variance to stay interesting imo. :shrug:

No worries, I might just be salty because I'm being reintroduced to it with a use that I found really dull. (I do generally prefer when I have the agency to find contradictions though - maybe I would like the mood matrix better if it was something I had to actively choose to use.)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can I gush about the OST for a sec? It's also best-in-series material. Not all of the melodies are maybe quite as catchy as the old familiar ones, but it's more varied than ever, with unique songs for many, many situations, and cool remixes too.

I really love this one that usually plays during some sort of inner turmoil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw09_QS-J7M

fronz posted:

Did you play AAI2?

I did. It would be third best in this situation, They're all amazing anyway, but for some reason I'm not feeling that hot on it. Maybe I just like the regular crew more than Edgey's adventures.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Regy Rusty posted:

Case 3, Early Trial Day 2: I just had one of those moments where I figured out so much about where the case was going down the line that I had trouble figuring out what contradiction the game wanted from me. We saw the Insight for R'heel Neh'mu and I very quickly figured out that he was actually murdered in the secret hideout pressed up against the magatama slab, and that the Plumed Punisher theme was coming from the clock. I was so focused on figuring out how I'd prove the wrong location that it took me way too long to figure out that the first thing I was supposed to prove was that the time of death was wrong based on the smell.

Cool case so far, even though it does seem like there's literally only one possible suspect.

I absolutely hate the Insight system for this reason right now. I started to read your spoiler line-by-line just to confirm what I figured it was about and yep, I had the same issue (and worked out the same thing of what's spoiled above). Insights end up really stalling out the story part of the game for me. I don't know if it's the lack of being able to present evidence in the way I'm used to, or because it's far more abstract than any previous system in previous games, but it's the biggest wall I've ever hit in these games.

E: finally cracked past that part but UGH.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 11, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I absolutely hate the Insight system for this reason right now. I started to read your spoiler line-by-line just to confirm what I figured it was about and yep, I had the same issue (and worked out the same thing of what's spoiled above). Insights end up really stalling out the story part of the game for me. I don't know if it's the lack of being able to present evidence in the way I'm used to, or because it's far more abstract than any previous system in previous games, but it's the biggest wall I've ever hit in these games.

Eh, I like it and I like that it does something different. It's not as though the issue I outlined in that spoiler is exclusive to the Insight mechanic, it's happened plenty of times before throughout the series.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

I did. It would be third best in this situation, They're all amazing anyway, but for some reason I'm not feeling that hot on it. Maybe I just like the regular crew more than Edgey's adventures.

Obviously I'm nowhere near finished with AA6 (and unfortunately won't be for a couple weeks), but I feel like AAI2 is the undisputed best. I didn't know who the culript was until the last minute in like 3 of the cases, and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Felt very very hard to put down.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

cloofish posted:

Anyway me making an rear end of myself aside, Episode 5 may be the greatest and most ambitious case in the series.

I dunno (Case 5 End of case spoilers) I liked the story well enough, and Dhurke being dead surprised me, but I pretty much figured out that Rayfa was Amaya's daughter as soon as that photo was brought up, even before I figured out that Amaya wasn't dead. So a lot of it was me not sure which evidence to present to get to that path.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Amppelix posted:

Can I gush about the OST for a sec? It's also best-in-series material. Not all of the melodies are maybe quite as catchy as the old familiar ones, but it's more varied than ever, with unique songs for many, many situations, and cool remixes too.

I really love this one that usually plays during some sort of inner turmoil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw09_QS-J7M
I'm a big fan of the tunes made for the Khura'in parts. Rhayfa's theme is extremely my jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrgd7fUnjmo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Man the puzzle in case 5 was a bitch and a half. If someone gets stuck on it:

The one you're not getting right is the third row. Remember that the sections can be set to show two halves of a picture.

I'm glad I remembered this post and went back to check it

That's hosed up!!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Terper posted:

Man the puzzle in case 5 was a bitch and a half. If someone gets stuck on it:

The one you're not getting right is the third row. Remember that the sections can be set to show two halves of a picture.

I actually was wondering why it only made half-steps instead of full steps. I figured it had to be important early on before I started seriously working at the puzzle. Probably explains why it only took me a few minutes. v:v:v

That said, case 5 Trial Day 1 The culprit's breakdown is pretty fantastic. :allears:

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 11, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, End of Investigation Day 1: G-going up against Phoenix Wright in court!?

No.... I can't do it....

WHAT IS HAPPENING

E: THROW IN THE TOWEL

There's no hope let's just give up

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 11, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Case 4 wasn't bad but it really feels like a total waste of time. Like where it has no bearing on anything and just serves to interrupt the general pacing of the games overall story.

I think if it was like, case 2 I wouldn't of minded it much but eh.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Case 4 wasn't bad but it really feels like a total waste of time. Like where it has no bearing on anything and just serves to interrupt the general pacing of the games overall story.

I think if it was like, case 2 I wouldn't of minded it much but eh.

How did NOBODY ELSE NOTICE the cards were moved??? It was the first thing that stuck out in the original crime scene photo but it took way too long to address :argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My gripe about Case 4 is that it blatantly only really exists so you get a chance to play as Athena, so presumably they'd have made it for people who like her, yet they spend the whole time making GBS threads on her as somehow less experienced than in 5-3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Filler" cases are good

They should make a game with all "filler" cases

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's really impressive that Maya's eyebrows are in front of her hair

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Waste of time??? What're ya playing these games for? You solve a mystery, there's fun and stupid characters involved, prosecutors get satisfyingly owned, etc. I really don't get it when people say cases are "filler" because they don't relate to the arc plot.

Now, I didn't actually like the mystery in case 4 much, but that has absolutely nothing to do with its "filler"-ness.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just started playing case 4. I'm really mad Nahyuta's turned the gallery against Athena. Can we get one case where the world isn't out to get the Defence!! (Though i'm happy the judge is rooting for Athena to be recognised by the prosecution. He's way better than the other judge)

Edit: It feels like this is supposed to be a re-do of 5-1 in a way. Where Athena's on her own out there with little experience and a prosecutor who is seeking to win by getting her to quit. Except this time she stays lead attorney throughout and proves them wrong, even if Simon is helping out.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

My gripe about Case 4 is that it blatantly only really exists so you get a chance to play as Athena, so presumably they'd have made it for people who like her, yet they spend the whole time making GBS threads on her as somehow less experienced than in 5-3.

That didn't bother me as much because "people making GBS threads on the attorney only to be proven wrong" is the theme of the game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Amppelix posted:

Waste of time??? What're ya playing these games for? You solve a mystery, there's fun and stupid characters involved, prosecutors get satisfyingly owned, etc. I really don't get it when people say cases are "filler" because they don't relate to the arc plot.

Now, I didn't actually like the mystery in case 4 much, but that has absolutely nothing to do with its "filler"-ness.

End of Case 3 (and some of 4 Spoilers) has a bomb going off, people realizing the culprit only did what he had to because the system was corrupt and tension rising to a boiling point... only to cut to Athena arguing with a clown for two hours about noodles, and Sadahmi or whatever just kinda "flew on over" thanks to the localization to handle this random case. It's really misplaced and why it's filler to the overall story because it adds nothing to it entirely.

It's why I think it should of been Case 1 - > 4 -> 2 -> 3 -> 5 so it isn't just awkwardly shoved into the middle of it all.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I've just finished up Case 2, but I have to say, the animations are just amazing in this one, especially for the villains.

Case 1/2 spoilers: Ahnastan'dhin and Retinz have AMAZING breakdowns. I loved all of the second case, except for the part where Nahyuti asks you to point out what "resembles the shadowy figure" and you have to select...the shadowy figure.

I also think they do a great job making the villains really dislikable again. Like, (Case 2 Trial spoilers) Roger is probably one of the pettiest assholes in the series, and his gimmick is good (SAY SOMETHING DUMB). Nahyuti and Rayfa's high and mighty holier than thou poo poo is also fantastic for making you want to legally wreck them in every case. I have a feeling that'll change, or they'll have some kind of redemption by the end, given the way the game is setting them up, but right now, I'm cheering for Dhurke. Down with the establishment, up with the rule of Japanifornia. :911:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Trial Day 1: Man Atishon is so wonderfully terrible. I loved his little thing where he'd not know how to answer a question so he'd just grab his stupid placard and walk calmly away. What a piece of poo poo.

Sergeant Buff is also great. His drone rampage in response to Athena's therapy session (complete with stealing Widget and the gavel) is one of the best insane witness things the series has ever done.

I can't wait to see how huge this case gets since it eventually has to tie back into Khura'in as well!

E: Oh my god Armie Buff :cry:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 11, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

LordHippoman posted:

Roger is probably one of the pettiest assholes in the series, and his gimmick is good (SAY SOMETHING DUMB).

I would be tempted to buy an avatar of that, not going to lie.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Case 3, Day 2: That sure was a :geno: reaction to finding out who Apollo's adoptive dad is. I get that Phoenix had bigger fish to fry right then, but at least try to act a little surprised!

LordHippoman posted:

Case 1/2 spoilers: I loved all of the second case, except for the part where Nahyuti asks you to point out what "resembles the shadowy figure" and you have to select...the shadowy figure.
Case 2: I thought the game made it pretty clear the figure in the original video was supposed to be different from the one Nahyuta was talking about, which is why you'd point to it as "resembling" the latter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, still trial day 1 I HATE YOU PHOENIX WRIGHT YOU SLIMY LAWYER

Finally I know what it feels like to be on the opposite side of him... he's the worst. That desperate line about the Founder's Orb not having fulfilled the legend just to buy him time to pull a brand new witness testimony out of his rear end!! Wright!!!!!!!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Just finished the game, and I gotta say, that was quite a ride! The cases did a good job in ramping things up each case (except for, of course, case 4, which really should have been much earlier in the game) and they did a good job with having satisfying twists in each case.

Maybe it's just me in the honeymoon phase, but case 5 might be the new high point of the series. I don't want to make a huge writeup on it because it's MASSIVE, possibly the biggest case in the series. And it's just one rollercoaster ride from beginning to end. Imo it justifies the purchase of the game but then every other case is really great so...

!SPOILER!
This game really was Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney 2. You've come a long way Polly. :unsmith:
!SPOILER!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Trial Day 1 ending: Well Atishon just won the prize for funniest breakdown ever holy poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Investigation Day 2: Wow we're going to have to defend against two murders at once... I confess I'm basically drooling at the prospect. Bring it ON!

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Man, when I finally got the pun for Roger Retinz.. :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Man, when I finally got the pun for Roger Retinz.. :allears:

Tell me I never figured it out

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

All I've got is how it sounds like his nickname backwards - "Rajah Ratings". :shrug:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Regy Rusty posted:

"Filler" cases are good

They should make a game with all "filler" cases

You can argue that that's what Justice for All was.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Well then, Case 5 Trial Day 2. I never expected prosopagnosia to be an important element of a game again, but here we are.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

and Sadahmi or whatever just kinda "flew on over" thanks to the localization

Khura'in is not in Japan, he must have flew on over in the Japanese version as well.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Well then, Case 5 Trial Day 2. I never expected prosopagnosia to be an important element of a game again, but here we are.

I had a big stupid grin on my face during that part.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

cloofish posted:

!SPOILER!
This game really was Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney 2. You've come a long way Polly. :unsmith:
!SPOILER!

I would say it's more like an actual Apollo Justice game, as the original was really all about Phoenix. That whole game the only thing you really learn about Apollo's past is his mom.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
end of case 3 was really great.

"thank you, phoenix. your courage in the face of insurmountable odds has inspired me: this country loving blows and i'm going to burn it to the ground."

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Tell me I never figured it out

He's Roger Retinz the Ratings Rajah! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

LostRook posted:

I would say it's more like an actual Apollo Justice game, as the original was really all about Phoenix. That whole game the only thing you really learn about Apollo's past is his mom.

Again, whole game spoilers.

Yeah true. I'm glad the localization team decided to call the game Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice because 1. Apollo is just taking back what's his and 2. The fact that Apollo is the sole protagonist of case 5 is a nice surprise.