Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

Legit have no idea what you're trying to prove but I've said nothing but facts the past two hours *shrugs*

It's ok. I don't have anything to prove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
you've gotta respect the rich guy who decided he wanted to go to space-camp for a couple years

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's too bad he trained. A completely untrained Punk has the outside chance of just going in like an idiot and looking good for a while by mistake and sheer crazy, like Kimo did in days of yore. Being trained just made sure he lost in a conventional manner.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

remusclaw posted:

It's too bad he trained. A completely untrained Punk has the outside chance of just going in like an idiot and looking good for a while by mistake and sheer crazy, like Kimo did in days of yore. Being trained just made sure he lost in a conventional manner.

in case you aren't joking: if Punk had 0 training he would have been tapped in 20 seconds, or rather wouldn't have known how to tap and would have had some serious ligament injury within seconds.

His training is what let him survive as long as he did

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I feel like you folks are insane but hey that's what makes us human.

Go Eagles.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Rogan said it best when he called this thing by Punk delusional. It's not like Punk needs the money, so if he wanted to seriously work at being a fighter, he absolutely should have started at the amateur level. It's probably too late for him to work his way up from there really, but at least he could maybe be competitive for some period of time rather than being hopelessly outclassed. But it's either delusion or still craving the fame. He was basically a novelty act tonight and while it was fun to watch him get wrecked once, I hope they don't do it again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mean Bean Machine posted:

That guy wasnt a top level fighter, he had 2 pro fights. Hes a nobody, and he still destroyed the pro-wrestler.

I just want to know if you read it or got too excited and had to lay down the own beforehand

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

in case you aren't joking: if Punk had 0 training he would have been tapped in 20 seconds, or rather wouldn't have known how to tap and would have had some serious ligament injury within seconds.

His training is what let him survive as long as he did

Yeah, I know, Iv'e just been binging the first 20 lately. Sometimes I miss the crazy from the early days.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

StarkRavingMad posted:

He was basically a novelty act tonight and while it was fun to watch him get wrecked once, I hope they don't do it again.

Screw that. I want CM Punk to get a ten fight deal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Again, to be fair, Punk only took the UFC deal because they gave it to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went for it anyway at an amateur level, seeing that prior to this whole debacle he talked about trying MMA out after being done with wrestling. Maybe he was delusional thinking he could hang with the big names, but I don't think he REALLY felt like he had a shot, maybe he'd catch Gall with a lucky punch but from his interviews he felt like an underdog.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I would love it if Punk fought and lost 8 matches. I wonder what gimmick he would get when he came back to pro wrestling after that.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

If Shaq had ever said yes they would have done a fight with him years ago. If Bieber said yes tomorrow then they would do the fight with him as soon as they could. Punk just happened to be the guy with name value who was talking about wanting to fight in the UFC that said yes when Dana asked him.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Burt Buckle posted:

I would love it if Punk fought and lost 8 matches. I wonder what gimmick he would get when he came back to pro wrestling after that.

Probably being the first wheelchair bound wrestler.

Edit: Competing wheelchair bound wrestler, that is.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
Welp, there's no gainsaying the (what I felt to be) prefight Wrestlehut/Punchsport Pagoda/Rowdy Ringsports consensus of "Punk deserves credit for trying but is going to get his rear end handed to him" but I feel that the true winner of the night is being overlooked and that is Bluedeanie, whose GDT OP is the best post of 2016 so far.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Can't they find some old fat guy for him to fight like the guy Batista fought.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

twitter and bisted posted:

Welp, there's no gainsaying the (what I felt to be) prefight Wrestlehut/Punchsport Pagoda/Rowdy Ringsports consensus of "Punk deserves credit for trying but is going to get his rear end handed to him" but I feel that the true winner of the night is being overlooked and that is Bluedeanie, whose GDT OP is the best post of 2016 so far.

That wasn't even top 3 Bluedeanie OPs tho.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

slev posted:

Can't they find some old fat guy for him to fight like the guy Batista fought.

Batista fought in the TNA of MMA didn't he? Punk would have been wise to do the same.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Nah. UFC specifically signed him to 8 fights because of this possibility

He's never having the 8 fights, but he's also never having a fight that isn't in UFC. A typical contract in that sense, never want someone being one-and-done especially if it's a win because then you can't make more money off of them

Welp nvm

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DannoMack posted:

it just seems like wrestling fans think a quick finish and a mangled face is something really wild

I watched the PPV with a bunch of wrestlefans who don't watch MMA and they spent the whole show complaining that nothing was happening and all the fights were boring

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

StarkRavingMad posted:

Rogan said it best when he called this thing by Punk delusional. It's not like Punk needs the money, so if he wanted to seriously work at being a fighter, he absolutely should have started at the amateur level. It's probably too late for him to work his way up from there really, but at least he could maybe be competitive for some period of time rather than being hopelessly outclassed. But it's either delusion or still craving the fame. He was basically a novelty act tonight and while it was fun to watch him get wrecked once, I hope they don't do it again.

Everything I've heard is that it was basically something UFC offered him because Dana saw it as a way to make bank, and I think you're right that it's going to end up hurting Punk in the long run

He should be main-eventing some regional event fighting postmen and hockey brawlers, if just for getting mat time and having a credible win-loss record

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Burt Buckle posted:

Batista fought in the TNA of MMA didn't he? Punk would have been wise to do the same.

Batista fought in more like the SSW of MMA.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

twitter and bisted posted:

Literally every Bluedeanie OP is the best op of the year. Even the one where he was off on holiday for the card.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Now go back in time and tell yourself that, Dana.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Now go back in time and tell yourself that, Dana.

Why? He got pretty much everything he wanted out of it. A punk win and follow up ppv would have been the cherry on top for him.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me

Dias posted:

That wasn't even top 3 Bluedeanie OPs tho.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Literally every Bluedeanie OP is the best op of the year. Even the one where he was off on holiday for the card.

Forgive a lonely n00b on the path of enlightenment. I must stop devouring the fast food of the election forum and begin contemplating the chickpeas of truth.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
CM Punk won actually. He got robbed

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Haha, UFC got what they wanted and are now kicking him to the curb.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Disco Inferno:
https://twitter.com/TheRealDisco/status/774826430060388352

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
This needs to end with Punk vs Dave Bautista in full Drax the Destroyer makeup.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I mean if Disco can be a pro wrestler, then yeah

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Look in my eyes
What do you see?
I got fired by the UFC

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The take away is that Living Color song is the poo poo

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
punk should have started out somewhere more suited to his level like american gladiators

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Ex American Gladiators should be at least 2-3 fights of his ten fight deal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Sphinxster posted:

The take away is that Living Color song is the poo poo

Cult of Personality is dope.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
imagine if punk got smoked by the green ranger like in the Good Timeline

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wrestling fans don't care about the Punk UFC money grab. They just want him back. UFC fans have been way more mad. It really doesn't matter if he won or lost because he's Norma real fighter anyway. I'd die laughing if he actually won but still.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RBX posted:

Wrestling fans don't care about the Punk UFC money grab. They just want him back. UFC fans have been way more mad. It really doesn't matter if he won or lost because he's Norma real fighter anyway. I'd die laughing if he actually won but still.

nah wrestling is starting to get good now that dead wood is leaving and a bunch of younger and fresher guys are coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

Who's Norma?

• Locked thread