Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is punk still with UFC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The CM Punk UFC Invitational needs to happen. Fights against Dave Bautista dressed as Drax, three American Gladiators, Peter Dinklage and a partner of his choosing, Tito Ortiz, Dustin Diamond, Jaxon de Ville the Jaguars mascot, Justin Bieber and Shaq.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Everyones mad except me. I actually find it funny and am laughing

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

a.lo posted:

is punk still with UFC?

They don't usually announce cuts until some time after a show, so yes.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

really? really? do people actually think this? f

Yeah, most people think this, including most mma fans. You should probably chill.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

a.lo posted:

is punk still with UFC?

It was a Loser Leaves Town match but I mean you know how permanent those are.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

really? really? do people actually think this? gently caress me punk marks will do anything in their mind to get him over, is it because of AJ Lee? he absolutely embarrassed himself after two loving years and money no option in training to get destroyed, and people like you are actually commending this? at the very least he's taking someone's spot who can actually fight and make some money for themselves

lmao gently caress me wwe fandom know no end

calm down

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
im not mad im just happy that its someone else being bullied inside a cage for once instead of me

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Don't fist bump Bruce Buffer

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Punk looked a lot like I did in my one and only wrestling tournament

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Do it ironically posted:

really? really? do people actually think this? gently caress me punk marks will do anything in their mind to get him over, is it because of AJ Lee? he absolutely embarrassed himself after two loving years and money no option in training to get destroyed, and people like you are actually commending this? at the very least he's taking someone's spot who can actually fight and make some money for themselves

lmao gently caress me wwe fandom know no end

I have no clue how you think me mainly saying how funny it was he got wrecked was some weepy mark meltdown just because I also said "but hey point for backing all his talk up and trying at least". Like, I'm just giving the guy the literal bare minimum of "at least he showed up and just got a normal mma style hilarious beat down rather than some insane self destruct thing".

He lost like tons of other guys wanting to start their UFC career but super aren't ready to would. It was funny because of all the outside context but I doubt it'll be remembered beyond another brick in the "people assuming past athletic experiences would carry over to mma and finding it super doesn't" wall.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Cm Punk is delusional and I refuse to "hand it to him". What an idiot. LOL

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMgadWABL-/

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MotU posted:

punk is very brave for making his money elsewhere and getting his online bjj certificate

I think he only did open mats with Hener, not full on train there.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You don't think Punk is brave? Let's see a youtube video of your rear end.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Would he get another fight so far up the card if he fought again?

Unless there's serious interest in seeing him he obliterated again

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

You don't think Punk is brave? Let's see a youtube video of your rear end.

I don't have enough money to get WWE to sue me, so no youtube of my rear end.

I'm guessing, like someone else said, TUF for him or he fucks off to New Japan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Would he get another fight so far up the card if he fought again?

Unless there's serious interest in seeing him he obliterated again

I doubt he fights in the UFC ever again.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

The Sphinxster posted:

The take away is that Living Color song is the poo poo

they played him out to the ring at wrestlemania one time when he fought the undertaker

poo poo was dope

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Perdido posted:

I don't have enough money to get WWE to sue me, so no youtube of my rear end.

I'm guessing, like someone else said, TUF for him or he fucks off to New Japan.

He's said he can't stand wrestling, but as other people have said, if the limelight is off him long enough, who knows what he'll do. TUF would be perfect for him because he'll a) be on television and b) be about the right level of competition if it's a bunch of amateurs and 2-3 dudes in their 30s having one last crack at the big time.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MotU posted:

punk should have started out somewhere more suited to his level like american gladiators

Gina Carano was pretty neato on that show as "Crush"! Though Hellga was no slouch either. In all seriousness that is our finest sport.

On the ol Punk match here, I watched it, I respect the guys who were flopping around. I don't have a strong opinion, I think it was cool that Punk got to do this thing, and good for Gall as well.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Memento posted:

He's said he can't stand wrestling, but as other people have said, if the limelight is off him long enough, who knows what he'll do. TUF would be perfect for him because he'll a) be on television and b) be about the right level of competition if it's a bunch of amateurs and 2-3 dudes in their 30s having one last crack at the big time.

He was asked about it in a recent interview. I'd imagine if he was still wanting to pad his bank account, he could get a decent payday with NJPW, while being able to enjoy the relative anonymity and poo poo, since he seems to hate his fans cherishes his privacy.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/09/08/cm-punk-ufc-203-debut-interview-preview

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Credit to CM Punk for sticking to his word and getting in there and fighting, privileged the opportunity by his name or not. That was the total asswhooping we all thought it would be, and he ought to call it a day with MMA. Been there, got the t-shirt and that.

Some of that initial ground and pound was heavy. Hopefully they let Gall fight Northcutt.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I actually think Micky even out did CM Punk with his entrance music.
The fight was a lot longer than I thought it would be there was such a skill difference it's like Bulma going up against perfect Cell. However you have to give Punk respect he didn't duck out of the fight or make excuses

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Punk gets to say he's a former UFC fighter now and I think that's all he wanted.

Good on him, now I hope he leaves the UFC to the professional fighters and goes back to writing comics.

Edit: I mean I don't think he's paticularly good at that ether but Alan Moore's not going to wade in while he's writing and kick gently caress out of him for substandard Drax comics.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 11, 2016

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
So shoutout to CM Punk for actually having a fight, good for him.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Now on the other hand, holy poo poo that was bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

November 2014 - September 2016: CM Punk's undefeated streak in UFC finally comes to an end :smith:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Agh, poor punk, the problem is that he started training way late in life for the UFC and that he isn't a monstrous wall of muscle the same way Brock Lesnar is.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think that went the way that just about everyone expected it to. For him I wish that it maybe had gone on a bit longer if only to save a bit more face. But gently caress it, it's not something that everyone could do. I have to imagine he'll go elsewhere now, and preferably not something on such a big stage, that's if he still wants to.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
he did about as good as most people would do in a professional sport after only 2 years of training

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Where can get this shirt?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Al-Saqr posted:

Agh, poor punk, the problem is that he started training way late in life for the UFC and that he isn't a monstrous wall of muscle the same way Brock Lesnar is.

also skill.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

If it makes anyone happy to watch Punk tear up at a presser, that's now available to you due to the magic of the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kd-aMBDyGk

He does pretty much say openly that he was originally intending to train for an amateur MMA fight in a bingo hall somewhere and that it was UFC's idea to put it on international PPV, I think in the end it's hard to be mad at him for it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I think in the end it's hard to be mad at him for it

People are gonna be anyway, though

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

fatherdog posted:

People are gonna be anyway, though

People would be giving him a lot less poo poo if he hadn't publicly complained about part-timers coming in and taking spots from full timers at his last job.

It's impossible to tell but I feel like the reaction would have been a little less vitriolic without the 2 year buildup.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If it makes anyone happy to watch Punk tear up at a presser, that's now available to you due to the magic of the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kd-aMBDyGk

He does pretty much say openly that he was originally intending to train for an amateur MMA fight in a bingo hall somewhere and that it was UFC's idea to put it on international PPV, I think in the end it's hard to be mad at him for it

I'm not mad at him and could never be. He got an opportunity to step up and do something he dreamed of doing at the top level, knowing he was going to get his rear end kicked. That took a lot of balls and I will always respect him for doing it.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

frankenfreak posted:

So he didn't completely owned and embarrased then? Good to know.

He got beat up by a guy who was way better than him at everything.

If you took the best 37 year old slamball player in the world and put him one on one with the 15th overall pick in the nba draft and the nba prospect only scored on 24 out of 25 possessions it would be embarrassingly hard to watch but you'd also have to be like "good hand check on that one possession though slamball guy." I dunno, maybe the fact that punk just took a routine mauling was better than expected and I'm being too generous.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DannoMack posted:

He got beat up by a guy who was way better than him at everything.

If you took the best 37 year old slamball player in the world and put him one on one with the 15th overall pick in the nba draft and the nba prospect only scored on 24 out of 25 possessions it would be embarrassingly hard to watch but you'd also have to be like "good hand check on that one possession though slamball guy." I dunno, maybe the fact that punk just took a routine mauling was better than expected and I'm being too generous.

To be fair, he tried to sprawl the first takedown and did well until he got pushed up against the cage. Once on the ground, he looked outmatched (he was) and gave up his back in about 40 seconds. Once Gall had his back he did his best to defend the choke and I thought he did alright to last as long as he did. He kept trying to defend it but ultimately he just didn't have the ability or the experience to get out of it. In the end, he was always going to be outclassed by Mickey Gall. As Coconono said on twitter, the gap in experience and ability between 0-0 and 1-0 is absolutely monstrous. It's not something that can be overcome with two years of training. I have no idea where Punk goes from here. If UFC is willing to give him the time to train and learn, maybe he can do better next time against an absolute can but I really don't think so.

Gall's promo kicked rear end too. I would love to see him beat the hell out of Sage Northcutt. That's a fight I can get behind.

• Locked thread