Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's not that bad. Worst part is pulling the rear CCT if you have to adjust the rear cylinder. Remove the footpeg bracket in order to get more access.

My tips are:
One cylinder at a time.
Don't turn the engine over with the cams out.
Mark the cams to the cam chain so it's easy to reinstall them at the same location.
Take a picture of the cam markings when you're at TDC.
Adjust to just off the loose end of the spec if possible.
It's a 45 minute job if you've done it before a few times, adjustment included.
Buy a shim kit.

Procedure looks like this:
Lift tank
Unbolt radiator, disconnect / remove fan and sensor wiring if needed to get more space, swing it down and out of the way
Remove coil boots
Pull plugs
Remove valve covers
Remove crank rotation plug/inspection port
Rotate to tdc on one cylinder (making sure the cams aren't depressing the valves so you know you're at tdc). Take a picture of how the cam markings line up with the heads, then measure, if adjustment is needed, mark cams to cam chain, remove CCT, remove cams, swap shims one at a time, reinstall cams, torquing cam caps with a torque wrench, reinstall CCT (make sure it deploys after you've installed it so you don't over tension the chain)
Once first cylinder is done, turn over the engine by hand until the second cylinder is at TDC, repeat above.
Once you've got both cylinders adjusted, rotate it through a few times and take a look at your pictures to make sure the engine doesn't jump time and the cam markings line up like they did before.
Reinstall valve covers, fresh plugs, plug boots, radiator, lower tank, off you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I need some help, some rear end in a top hat knocked over my 04 SV650 while it was parked. Parked my care nearby to find it just lying on its side in the street with the cover on. I was able to get it back upright and noticed some gas dripping down the engine cover, but there wasn't continuous dripping so I don't think a fuel line is broken.

I turned the key to on and there was no error light. I tried starting it and it truned over and started, but the idle was around 800 then slowly went down and died. Subsequently when I press the switch to on I hear the usual "whine", but I press the start switch there is a click and it doesn't even turn over and the LCD goes blank until I release the ignition switch at which point the LCD "resets"

I have no idea where to start looking for the solution and I can't transport the bike (only have a car)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What you are describing is a dead battery. If you have a flooded lead acid battery, the tip over probably lost some acid and that's why the battery is weak.

The bigger problem is if it leaked battery acid all over your frame and motor and whatnot you have a mess to clean up and you're on a timer

If you don't have a flooded battery it may just be coincidence that the battery also died

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Welp, I really hope not because I'm posting from work! Yay night shift!

I suppose the liquid could have been acid; smelled like gasoline though.

I need to inspect where the battery is anyways (that's where the tip over sensor is I guess?) so that'll be first thing to do tomorrow. Hopefully I didn't leave a bunch of battery acid all over the frame; I didn't notice any discoloration or anything odd

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Im posting to complain that the first gen naked has Phillips head screws on the brake fluid reservoirs and I'm pro at stripping them. On the bright side I finally learned how to use speedouts and my brakes are feeling good.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Checked the clutch switch and reinstalled the tip over sensor, but still no start. Took the battery to a local shop where the voltage was a little low at 12.4v (supposed to.be at least 12.5) and they are charging it for me. Still though, if it was only a tiny bit low would expect it to at least turn over.

Anything else to check if it still doesn't start up with a recharged battery?

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Straight up replaced the battery, still no start. I hear a click from the fuse relay near the battery and an electric whine from the front. I've also reinstalled tip sensor already too

Edit: also tried roll starting it unsuccessfully several times. I have no idea

Pikey fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 7, 2016

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Fuel economy is ridiculously low on my SV. Did a long stint today with some riders from MotoHouston and had to fill up about every one hundred miles.

1. I'm only adding about 2.5 gallons every fill up. Fuel light blinks rather than staying constantly on. I don't seem to remember that on my old SV.
2. Pretty sure the biek has been geared down. I almost hit the Rev limiter in 5th gear at about 110 mph. I'll have to count sprocket teeth.
3. Looks like a power commander three is installed. I'll have to download the manual and see what map is loaded up.

Otherwise the bike is bunches of fun. Love the Pilot Road 3s I just mounted up.

Do you guys think changing the gearing back to stock will gain me noticeable fuel economy?

Also I need a new front master cylinder like loving yesterday. The GSXR radial is terrible.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Blinking is one gallon, steady is half gallon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you filling the tank by just jamming the nozzle in there?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Fuel economy is ridiculously low on my SV. Did a long stint today with some riders from MotoHouston and had to fill up about every one hundred miles.

1. I'm only adding about 2.5 gallons every fill up. Fuel light blinks rather than staying constantly on. I don't seem to remember that on my old SV.
2. Pretty sure the biek has been geared down. I almost hit the Rev limiter in 5th gear at about 110 mph. I'll have to count sprocket teeth.
3. Looks like a power commander three is installed. I'll have to download the manual and see what map is loaded up.

Otherwise the bike is bunches of fun. Love the Pilot Road 3s I just mounted up.

Do you guys think changing the gearing back to stock will gain me noticeable fuel economy?

Also I need a new front master cylinder like loving yesterday. The GSXR radial is terrible.

on first gen i believe 4th gear is rev limit at 110mph, it is on mine anyway. and yeah, increasing gearing should increase top end fuel economy.

edit: gearing commander says I'm slightly tall but that you're short

Verge fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 8, 2016

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

Are you filling the tank by just jamming the nozzle in there?

Yes? Angling toward my crotch. Just looked up the tank capacity and I should be able to get like an extra gallon? I do stand the bike upright and close my visor, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're just jamming the nozzle in and filling until it shuts off, you could easily be leaving a gallon-sized air space at the top. You need to slowly withdraw the nozzle as it fills up, making sure you get the fuel right to the top.

Though that doesn't really address your 2.5 gallons / 100 miles thing. 40mpg seems a little low. That might be the effect of the sprocket, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My sv will generally take me to 140 or 150 miles before the light starts flashing. That's mostly commuting though

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You learn which gas stations near you have nozzles with good throttling characteristics pretty quick, I'm no case can you rely on the auto-shutoff when you're dealing with a bike. My SV gets mid 40s for fuel economy, maybe 50 if I baby it, so 40 with non-stock gearing might not be that far off from expected

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gotta pull the fore skin back and top it off manually or you're never gonna really fill 'er up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

Gotta pull the fore skin back

This is the only thing I can think of whenever I use these drat California gas pumps. :saddowns:

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

Gotta pull the fore skin back and top it off manually or you're never gonna really fill 'er up.

i loving hate these nozzles

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Verge posted:

on first gen i believe 4th gear is rev limit at 110mph, it is on mine anyway. and yeah, increasing gearing should increase top end fuel economy.

edit: gearing commander says I'm slightly tall but that you're short

Thanks! I had forgotten about that tool. I'll count me some teeth. The rear sprocket was getting close when I installed my new tires so it may be worthwhile to change it out. Hopefully I don't need to screw with the chain.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Looks like I just need to be more patient when I fill up. This is bike number 5 and my second SV. Maybe I'm still in that early excited stage. :D

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Thanks! I had forgotten about that tool. I'll count me some teeth. The rear sprocket was getting close when I installed my new tires so it may be worthwhile to change it out. Hopefully I don't need to screw with the chain.

np. I've always heard to replace the sprockets and chain at the same time, something about them wearing each other down, can anyone back this up or am i just spitting third hand Bologna? at any rate check your chain real good because if your sprockets are trash, your chain might be too and a trashed train can do a lot more than just break and leave you stranded.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Welp I should definitely start posting pics of this thing. To keep with the build quality I ordered the Brembo 19RCS front master cylinder. Apparently, I hate money.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Verge posted:

np. I've always heard to replace the sprockets and chain at the same time, something about them wearing each other down, can anyone back this up or am i just spitting third hand Bologna? at any rate check your chain real good because if your sprockets are trash, your chain might be too and a trashed train can do a lot more than just break and leave you stranded.

Can't hurt to change them all at the same time but if the chain is in good shape there's no need to. Chances of that might not be great if the sprockets are thrashed, check for tight links and wear on the rollers

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Fresh on the SV train, picked up my first big bike after passing my MOD2 a couple of weeks ago. Got myself a K8 SV650S and I'm LOVING it so far, although the sportier riding position is taking a bit of getting used to. My wrists are taking a hammering, so I'm starting to use my thighs on the tank to take a share of my bodyweight.

Beauty of this purchase is that I did a reverse part-exchange on the Yamaha MT125 I bought last year, which paid for my years tax, insurance and a new bash hat and summer gloves.

It's a tiny bit tatty, but I love it.

Any ideas for a phone mount though? The clip-on's leave no space whatsoever to attach a mount to (occupied on the right by the brake fluid reservoir and heated grips controls on the left). Was thinking maybe a tank bag with a screen in it, or maybe something that can be mounted to the inside of the screen. Any product recommendations would be cool.

Captain Cancer fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 30, 2016

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Since you have the S, I would recommend a fork stem ram mount. I had one on my 650n, but it would rotate side to side in the wind - should be fine on an S though.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young

M42 posted:

Since you have the S, I would recommend a fork stem ram mount. I had one on my 650n, but it would rotate side to side in the wind - should be fine on an S though.

Hadn't even considered such a thing. Great I'll check those out!

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Selling my naked SV650 for something more upright and with better wind / weather protection

Goodbye SV :(

Hello, Tiger 800 XRT :getin:

I will in fact miss running around central London on something narrow as a scooter vtwinning the gently caress out of everything, the Tiger is a much faster bike but is miles away from that sound...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I rode home in a torrential downpour today and experienced the SV325 for the first time. Am I missing anything from this list as far as fixing it?

1) Clear the head drain hole
2) Dry out the plug boot
3) Fill it with dielectric grease
4) Profit

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I rode home in a torrential downpour today and experienced the SV325 for the first time. Am I missing anything from this list as far as fixing it?

1) Clear the head drain hole
2) Dry out the plug boot
3) Fill it with dielectric grease
4) Profit

also: is there anyway to prevent this?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can prevent it by doing the things that he listed, or not riding in the rain.

Jim- That list looks correct from what I recall in my SV days.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Coydog posted:

You can prevent it by doing the things that he listed, or not riding in the rain.

oh cool i thought that was just a fix, not a prevention. do i need to do it every year or just every plug change?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I never got that far, sorry. In fact, I put off doing it on mine long enough for fate to take the problem away from me. You'll never have to do it again if you just get your front wheel caught up in debris at 70. #lifehax

It's probably a fairly permanent fix, as long as the plugs stay in place.

VVV yw

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 10, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Coydog posted:

I never got that far, sorry. In fact, I put off doing it on mine long enough for fate to take the problem away from me. You'll never have to do it again if you just get your front wheel caught up in debris at 70. #lifehax

It's probably a fairly permanent fix, as long as the plugs stay in place.

cool ty

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You get a front fender extender to really fix it.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Z3n posted:

That's what I was gonna post

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

So I'm about to buy a 17/43 sprocket set w/ a 525 x-ring chain (110 links) w/ a rivet-style masterlink (unless someone can point out an endless chain...that'd be sweeeeet). I feel like this is a good call to maintain the acceleration that I love while keeping total wear (engine and chain) to a minimum for my bike. I'm expecting better mpg/range as a bonus. Am I being dumb in any way?

Oh, and if no one stops me, I may buy some or all of this from Cyclegear so if anyone has a brand they can recommend I'd rather go w/ a goon's recommendation.

Z3n posted:

I don't want to drill holes in my fender v.v

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

Verge posted:

I don't want to drill holes in my fender v.v

Fwiw I just glued one on mine and it's held up just fine for a while now.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

brotastrophe posted:

Fwiw I just glued one on mine and it's held up just fine for a while now.

What the gently caress glue is strong enough for this poo poo?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Verge posted:

So I'm about to buy a 17/43 sprocket set

You are gonna hate this. Please do it and let us know for sure, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Alright, Coy, I'll take good advice when it's given and not make myself hate...myself. I think right now I'm running PO's 15/47 based on tach vs speedo, maybe 15/46. Should I just go stock and order a basic set? TBH I don't understand how all this affects acceleration since I can always shift down to change the overall ratio but smarter men than me don't seem to be pointing that out so there must be something I'm missing.

• Locked thread