Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shoehead posted:

What?

Whaaaaat!?

:negative:

Motherf—

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

most of the red origin nodes had a one-way path though. Also sometimes it's actually faster to grab all the goodies than go all the way through the red towers.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 5, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

double nine posted:

the same was true in the original

I forgot in the intervening decade, I guess.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think someone actually put it in the Human Revolution wiki entry, which is where I learned about it myself.

The vast majority seem to be behind one way walls early on, so I just stopped looking for them to even try until I saw that note.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
IMHO, hacking is a bad investment in DX:MD. In Human Revolution, hacking was pretty easy with only a small investment in Stealth augs, and the rewards tended to be good. In MD, hacking requires a to of stealth and/or fortify augs, and the rewards tend to be mediocre.

Also, in MD, a multitool automatically cracks any keypad.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gynovore posted:

IMHO, hacking is a bad investment in DX:MD. In Human Revolution, hacking was pretty easy with only a small investment in Stealth augs, and the rewards tended to be good. In MD, hacking requires a to of stealth and/or fortify augs, and the rewards tend to be mediocre.

Also, in MD, a multitool automatically cracks any keypad.
Is the mini-game the same, or did they change it to something less fun?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Xander77 posted:

It is the same style of thing, it is just a lot harder now.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Xander77 posted:

It's the same... except that it's rendered in 3D, and some grids aren't fully lit, thus allowing you to see only nodes next to captured ones. And maps tend to be bigger and have more one-way vertices. And some vertexes have hidden "firewalls", randomly increasing the time it takes to capture.

So yeah, less fun.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I forgot in the intervening decade, I guess.

I'm talking about HR, not DX.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Xander77 posted:

With the introduction of crafting, the breakdown aug (unfortunately DLC only), and bringing multitools back, there is no reason not to just bust every troublesome keypad wide open rather than dumping points into hacking. It was tedious before, now it's tedious and more difficult to boot.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm about to play Pillars of Eternity. I've never played games like this before much, I've tried very briefly tried Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate but it was hard to figure out. I don't know a lot about D&D either, but watching videos of this game it seems a little easier to get the hang of. I just made a post in the PoE thread actually, asking about how a lot of the area around you is darkened out which I think would bother me. Still not sure if it goes away after you explore it or whatever, but advice regarding that and also other things would be welcomed. Assume I'm a little bit stupid.

-Accuracy is the most important combat statistic, since it not only governs how often you hit, but also how often you crit. This applies to ANYTHING that targets an enemy. Period.

-Don't be afraid to use your per-rest abilities. The game loves to give you camping supplies at regular points throughout dungeons so you should basically never run out. Hell, by mid-game you're far more likely to need to rest because of health loss than abilities.

-Read the descriptions of debuffing afflictions carefully. Most have more effects than are obvious.

-I highly suggest having a paladin along as a support tank. Stuff like Lay on Hands and Liberating Exhortation are absolutely wonderful "Oh poo poo!" buttons.

-Take a Priest too. Their healing isn't as powerful, and their Supress affliction doesn't as long as the Paladin's, but they have AoE for these things and the buffs they have range from very helpful

-Read the "Stacking" entry in the Cyclopedia. Buff stacking rules are surprisingly complicated compared to BG/IWD

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

paco650 posted:

With the introduction of crafting, the breakdown aug (unfortunately DLC only), and bringing multitools back, there is no reason not to just bust every troublesome keypad wide open rather than dumping points into hacking. It was tedious before, now it's tedious and more difficult to boot.

I agree with you; but please, everyone, don't buy the DLC. Microtransactions and day-1 DLC are both scummy business practices; companies that use them should be kicked in the nads, not rewarded with your money.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gynovore posted:

I agree with you; but please, everyone, don't buy the DLC. Microtransactions and day-1 DLC are both scummy business practices; companies that use them should be kicked in the nads, not rewarded with your money.

Hmm... but what if they introduced microtransactions that would pay for kicking the companies in the nads?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

Not to start a whole thing, but I can understand day 1 dlc. The team who makes the content isn't the same crew bug testing, so when a game is content complete, I think it's okay for the content team to work on poo poo that will eventually be DLC, even if it ends up released alongside the games launch.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Reaper IFF mission is going to lock me into endgame in Mass Effect 2, right? I quite enjoy doing the little side missions, but I don't feel like I've done quite enough of them yet. Is this my last chance to go on a scanning spree to detect those sweet anomalies?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scientastic posted:

The Reaper IFF mission is going to lock me into endgame in Mass Effect 2, right? I quite enjoy doing the little side missions, but I don't feel like I've done quite enough of them yet. Is this my last chance to go on a scanning spree to detect those sweet anomalies?

After the IFF mission you can still roam freely, but you only have a grace period of two missions (one of which you'll need for Legion's affinity mission) before you're considered to have taken Too Long and something bad happens. It's not a fail state, just something you'll really wish you'd been able to stop.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

After the IFF mission you can still roam freely, but you only have a grace period of two missions (one of which you'll need for Legion's affinity mission) before you're considered to have taken Too Long and something bad happens. It's not a fail state, just something you'll really wish you'd been able to stop.

In addition, a visit to the citadel does count as a mission. My Shepard's greatest failure was a need for last minute shopping.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Omega 4 Relay mission doesn't end the game (unless you really, really work hard at losing friends and alienating people) either.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Omega 4 Relay mission doesn't end the game (unless you really, really work hard at losing friends and alienating people) either.

no big loss imo

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The biggest fuckup about the wiki entry is that it makes it really unclear that you're supposed to go talk to Legion to trigger his mission the moment IFF ends. If you go to the galaxy map for any reason after IFF, you're kinda hosed.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Brigador?

The tips in the game's thread are worth reading.

Other than that:
  • Kamikaze units (infantry/tuk tuks with red lights) will take out a good chunk of your health, while the flying torpedoes will outright kill you on impact
  • The game speed doesn't affect your score, so it's OK to turn it down while you're learning the controls
  • Keep your camera unlocked (left Ctrl), since it lets you spot enemies earlier and pick them off from a distance
  • Vehicles are priced by difficulty, so don't spring for the expensive ones straight away - the starting mech is actually a great allround pick

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Any tips for Lords of the Fallen? Got it free off PS+, seems okay so far, but I wanna make sure there aren't any gotchas or terrible builds or whatever.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brightman posted:

Any tips for Lords of the Fallen? Got it free off PS+, seems okay so far, but I wanna make sure there aren't any gotchas or terrible builds or whatever.
Check back in the thread or look up my posts, I wrote it down like three times here.

e: Oh, what the hell, here you go:

- It's not that bad.

- Don't spend your XP on unlocking spells, you can find enough items that give you a spell point to unlock everything (which you don't need anyway)

- Character creation: class determines your starting stuff and equipment, magic type what spells you have access to. You can alter stats, you can't pick another spell school until NG+; that being said, the game is easily beatable without magic.

- Speaking of, every magic type has a decoy spell, a ranged attack and a self-buff. They aren't necessary but if you find a spell you like, it can make your life a lot easier. If you want to focus on magic, it's probably best to take the deception school: Stab is probably the best offensive move and Shift makes you go invisible and do crazy backstab damage.

- The combat is slow. If you want the maximum bang for your buck, focus on slow, heavy weapons, killing a boss with knives will take a while.

- You'll find the ranged weapon pretty early in the game and it's mostly independent of stats (damage scales with faith but you can customize it for other purposes). The flip side is that it goes in your shield hand so if you want to use it, you'll have to rely on dodging.

- If you beat a boss while fulfilling a special condition, you get a slighly better version of their weapon; look those up in a guide if you want them. With the first one it's taking no damage.
- If you have trouble with a boss, try poison. Some enemies are immune but it's an amazing way to cheese most of the game.

- Explore, backtrack. The game world is pretty small but chock-full of secrets. Also, characters that give you quests usually aren't too helpful regarding the location of what they send you to find.

- Early on in the game you'll encounter a monk dying from a poisoned bite. Cut off his hand; you'll meet him again later on that way. Letting him die has no benefits whatsoever.

- In the first building, you'll probably find an item called "Shard of Heroes" which the game is supremely unhelpful about. It doesn't come into play until you fight the second boss: the arena they're in has three statues. You can either kill the boss and use the shard at one of the statues to change your class to that and reallocate any stats you added OR you can insert the shard in one of the statues before/during the battle and then lure the boss into breaking it. After the battle, you'll find a pretty good weapon for the class of the statue you used. If you want the item and didn't get the statue broken or the shard in it, there's going to be another boss fight in this arena later on so there's another shot at it.

In addition, if you're new to the whole thing:

- Don't fear death. You learn by dying and the consequences of it are very little. It's a good idea to take a moment and think about what killed you and how to avoid it the next time, though.

- Dodging is almost always better than blocking, but blocking is much easier. Experiment.

- Weapons damage calculation is based on two things: a base damage of the weapon and a scaling based on your stats. Different weapons scale differently so pay attention to the little numbers.

- There's a fuckton of secrets. If you see a locked door, feel free to jot down a note, the game won't remind you about it and is pretty vague about what keys go where.

- You can sort of upgrade your equipment at an NPC you'll meet a bit into the game. There are runes that go into sockets on items. Remember that you can also pull the runes out - so you don't need to save the good ones until you find a weapon you think will last you a long time.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I imported Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers. Any tips for someone whose experience comes from OG/OG2 @G and J?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

anilEhilated posted:

Check back in the thread or look up my posts, I wrote it down like three times here.

e: Oh, what the hell, here you go:

- It's not that bad.

- Don't spend your XP on unlocking spells, you can find enough items that give you a spell point to unlock everything (which you don't need anyway)

- Character creation: class determines your starting stuff and equipment, magic type what spells you have access to. You can alter stats, you can't pick another spell school until NG+; that being said, the game is easily beatable without magic.

- Speaking of, every magic type has a decoy spell, a ranged attack and a self-buff. They aren't necessary but if you find a spell you like, it can make your life a lot easier. If you want to focus on magic, it's probably best to take the deception school: Stab is probably the best offensive move and Shift makes you go invisible and do crazy backstab damage.

- The combat is slow. If you want the maximum bang for your buck, focus on slow, heavy weapons, killing a boss with knives will take a while.

- You'll find the ranged weapon pretty early in the game and it's mostly independent of stats (damage scales with faith but you can customize it for other purposes). The flip side is that it goes in your shield hand so if you want to use it, you'll have to rely on dodging.

- If you beat a boss while fulfilling a special condition, you get a slighly better version of their weapon; look those up in a guide if you want them. With the first one it's taking no damage.
- If you have trouble with a boss, try poison. Some enemies are immune but it's an amazing way to cheese most of the game.

- Explore, backtrack. The game world is pretty small but chock-full of secrets. Also, characters that give you quests usually aren't too helpful regarding the location of what they send you to find.

- Early on in the game you'll encounter a monk dying from a poisoned bite. Cut off his hand; you'll meet him again later on that way. Letting him die has no benefits whatsoever.

- In the first building, you'll probably find an item called "Shard of Heroes" which the game is supremely unhelpful about. It doesn't come into play until you fight the second boss: the arena they're in has three statues. You can either kill the boss and use the shard at one of the statues to change your class to that and reallocate any stats you added OR you can insert the shard in one of the statues before/during the battle and then lure the boss into breaking it. After the battle, you'll find a pretty good weapon for the class of the statue you used. If you want the item and didn't get the statue broken or the shard in it, there's going to be another boss fight in this arena later on so there's another shot at it.

In addition, if you're new to the whole thing:

- Don't fear death. You learn by dying and the consequences of it are very little. It's a good idea to take a moment and think about what killed you and how to avoid it the next time, though.

- Dodging is almost always better than blocking, but blocking is much easier. Experiment.

- Weapons damage calculation is based on two things: a base damage of the weapon and a scaling based on your stats. Different weapons scale differently so pay attention to the little numbers.

- There's a fuckton of secrets. If you see a locked door, feel free to jot down a note, the game won't remind you about it and is pretty vague about what keys go where.

- You can sort of upgrade your equipment at an NPC you'll meet a bit into the game. There are runes that go into sockets on items. Remember that you can also pull the runes out - so you don't need to save the good ones until you find a weapon you think will last you a long time.

Thanks, apparently search doesn't work like I thought it does since none of that came up :v:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tales of Zestria?

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Now that Titan Quest has been given a huge update, anything worthwhile to update the wiki with?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sociopastry posted:

Tales of Zestria?

Try your best to savescum equipment that make five-horizontal lines. They give a passive that permanently increases a given stat.

Or play on Normal. The partner AI is really bad, so it'll just die in important (read: boss) fights if you play with enemies' inflated stats on higher difficulties. Those boosts help you stay current to the competition.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Artifact Adventure?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Odd posted:

Now that Titan Quest has been given a huge update, anything worthwhile to update the wiki with?

Seconding this, especially after they made a point of "rebalancing" the masteries.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

MockingQuantum posted:

Anything for Artifact Adventure?

I'm still in the middle of it, but I do have a couple points:

- The Key of Time takes a bit longer to pay off than the Airship, which gets you great gear right at the beginning, and can possibly be used to rush certain artifacts early if you look up how to get the one that makes it easier to run away from battles.

- Artifacts go to the person who's at the front of your party. You can press A and S to cycle people to the front, but always remember to go back to your best formation before battle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

paco650 posted:

Seconding this, especially after they made a point of "rebalancing" the masteries.

I don't think anybody who isn't playing it right now can help you since all my knowledge is from how this game was 8 years ago.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there anything I should be prioritizing in Black Flag?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

juliuspringle posted:

Sea shanties.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think anybody who isn't playing it right now can help you since all my knowledge is from how this game was 8 years ago.

I'd be curious to know too. I played it at launch and hated it, but the setting seems neat, so if it's good now I'd love to know (I'd check myself but I lost the disks).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Shanties and piracy. Once you advance the plot far enough to get the diving bell, you've pretty much opened up everything you need to pirate your way across the world.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Senerio posted:

I imported Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers. Any tips for someone whose experience comes from OG/OG2 @G and J?
Come to the SRW thread, we can give you more advice.

In general though, SP Regen is no longer buyable so it's not a must-have skill on everyone anymore. You can and should upgrade accuracy along with HP/EN/Armor/Mobility now, it's probably the highest priority stat. When making pairs, pair up people who have similar movement types (land/air/water; TONS of people are able to fly but have only a B in air so they shouldn't, make sure you check terrain rankings), movement ranges, and attack ranges. Units with a relationship bonus get an extra rank in it if they're paired, but this is usually hard to do since the people with big bonuses often use units that are of different ranges/specialties.

When in doubt, use the akurasu wiki. SR point requirements in MD are savage.

Mr. Dragoon
May 7, 2008
Anything for Project Highrise even though its new? I can't get past even 1 or two stars because I can't turn a profit with all the expenses that offices and apartments need devouring my profits.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Xander77 posted:

Now that Arcanum is on steam - anything worthwhile the wiki is missing?

Buy it on GoG instead because the steam version is shittly plagued with technical issues on newer operating systems.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anything for Mass Effect 3 that's not in the wiki? I've already got the extended cut DLC.