Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Guy Mann posted:

If you like Watch Out For Fireballs then its sister show Abject Suffering, about bad videogames instead of classics, is also worth listening to. It's less in-depth but it updates more frequently and if you like Gary and Kole's sense of humor the more laid back and stream-of-consciousness approach makes for a lot of good goofs assuming you can stand their odd cultural blind spots. Bonfireside Chat is also good if you have any interest in and enjoyment of the Souls games.

I Don't Even Own A Television is also my favorite bad book podcast from a sheer humor perspective, again if you don't mind that it leans very heavily toward the hosts particular interests like a lot of books by musicians.

I'll definitely check out I Don't Even Own a Television. As for Abject Suffering, I like the concept of the show, but it's not very in-depth and on many occasions they only briefly mention the game but spend a half hour talking about Twitter trends and such. Which is fine; I enjoy their humor enough and am glad it exists in Watch Out for Fireballs; I just don't want to listen to a half hour of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else listen to Nickelodeon animation podcast? It's really good. It's not some kids podcast but actually interviews with the creators/voice actors of old Nick shows like Doug, Rocko, hey Arnold! And how they got into voice acting. Really interesting to see how the characters came to be.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
That sounds like an awesome nostalgia tickle. What's it called?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
That's exactly what it's called, Nickelodeon animation podcast. I should have included a link though :)

http://nickanimation25.tumblr.com/tagged/podcast

It's Really good though. Production is top notch.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
What's a good general interest pop culture podcast for someone who's fond of Pop Culture Happy Hour but who's beginning to lose patience with Glen Weldon's boring derails about comic books and superheroes?

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Sampler is good, they pick 4 or 5 highlights a week from different podcasts and a lot is pop culture stuff tied with a theme. You'd probably find something you'd like to subscribe to from those choices. Also the host is funny and cool :3

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
guess the podcast :lol:
"Next stop on our tour of CHILDREN WHO MURDER..."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
this dude trying to drop Blue Apron Dot Com ads in between stories of little boys murdering their mothers with hammers
hell yeah I got an apetite right now, tell me more

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Could be worse, they could be hawking Fleshlight. :barf:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Someone blazt the "Whiz Kid Harry Enten" song at Chapo Trap House until they die
Stop bullying my twee whites

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm surprised that the best discussion about rape accusations came from the latest episode of Cum Town, a podcast where the hosts regularly joke about how white people can't say the n-word.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I have noticed a commonality with Cum Town and Chapo where they just seem to be a bunch of ironic white guys on twitter who seem like they really wish they were black and (surprise surprise) think identity politics are too major and we should stop talking about race, maaaan.
There's a lot of that these days but they're funny buggers whatevs

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's a bit of a misrepresentation about Chapo. It's not that they don't like talking about race, it's that they don't like how some people talking about race present it as independent from problems of economic inequality. That's what a fair amount of people did during the primary- Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, Ta-Nehisi Coates to an extent. And to their credit, they did say on a recent episode that they should bring on more women and nonwhite people. Also, the Cum Town debate had a woman guest on it. They're trying.

I do agree that they're funny, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

That's a bit of a misrepresentation about Chapo. It's not that they don't like talking about race, it's that they don't like how some people talking about race present it as independent from problems of economic inequality. That's what a fair amount of people did during the primary- Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, Ta-Nehisi Coates to an extent. And to their credit, they did say on a recent episode that they should bring on more women and nonwhite people. Also, the Cum Town debate had a woman guest on it. They're trying.

I do agree that they're funny, though.

The problem is it's really hard to take a bunch of white internet dudes seriously when they're trying to explain how actual black people are wrong about the realities of racial bigotry. Like, using Coates as an example is kinda the exact problem. The thing that made ~woke twitter~ mad at him was a piece where he said 'yea I'm far from happy with Clinton and think she has a lot to answer for too but I don't support a dude who thinks all bigotry is economic based when you can just look at the news and see black people of all backgrounds being treated like garbage by white people of all backgrounds'.

Chapo is funny as gently caress though and their funny poo poo is waaaaay more than their 'hey let me tell you why ~identity politics~ is killing the left, minorities' poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like both shows and Chapo's definitely the most "on point" political podcast I listen to, but it's something I noticed.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I have been listening to Sword and Scale the last few days and I've liked it. I'm through the first Morgan Ingram episode. The only thing I haven't liked is he played Johnny Goschs mother straight up and talks about how terrible and crazy Toni Ingram is. Although she is crazy Johnny's mother sounded just as crazy to me.

So what im looking for is a podcast about history and more specifically strange stories/theories about ancient history/prehistory. I tried Mysteries Abound and it's not bad but it gets a little to much into conspiracy theories and aliens and 800 ft monsters for my liking. Any podcasts like that a little more grounded in reality?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What podcasts about pre 2000 pop culture are good. I like You Must Remember This and I kind of want more like it.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

"Hold My Order, Terrible Dresser" is about the tv show WKRP in Cincinnati, but covers a lot of late 70s/early 80s pop culture.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Acne Rain posted:

What podcasts about pre 2000 pop culture are good. I like You Must Remember This and I kind of want more like it.

Duckfeed.tv's Teenage Dirtbags.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Is there a podcast that focuses on the Star Wars Extended Universe? But like, funny and with a critical eye?

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Is there a podcast that focuses on the Star Wars Extended Universe? But like, funny and with a critical eye?

You could try "never tell me the pods" they do deep dives into various Star Wars topics

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

xian posted:

You could try "never tell me the pods" they do deep dives into various Star Wars topics

This is pretty cool and not at all something I would've found on my own, thanks!

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Are there any podcasts that does deep dives in the development and lore of video game series? Watch Out for Fireballs is okay, but more about personal nostalgia and I found Cane and Rinse boring.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

xian posted:

quick look, seems cool. I'll check it out! Thanks!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anybody else think Millennial is really bad now?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

blue squares posted:

Anybody else think Millennial is really bad now?

I liked it until it became a show about how successful it is as a podcast. So like, five episodes? Then I dropped it. Pointless premise IMO.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: Well I was just not gonna post about that but phone posting, hahah.

Brocktoon posted:

Are there any podcasts that does deep dives in the development and lore of video game series? Watch Out for Fireballs is okay, but more about personal nostalgia and I found Cane and Rinse boring.

How about Retronauts?

It is a podcast that finished for good like three years ago, but it was early to the podcast game so there will be a lot of episodes to go through (provided they haven't taken it down ).

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 30, 2016

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Anyone know any podcasts like mysteries abound but not as conspiracy theorist? Like just weird things in history/prehistory? More towards very early history please.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anyone know any podcasts like mysteries abound but not as conspiracy theorist? Like just weird things in history/prehistory? More towards very early history please.

Unexplained, maybe? Though that's way more recent than you'd like.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Rick posted:

I don't care about Chapo at all and if I ever see those fools they are getting pantsed. Please shut

How about Retronauts?

It is a podcast that finished for good like three years ago, but it was early to the podcast game so there will be a lot of episodes to go through (provided they haven't taken it down ).

Retronauts is still going.

http://www.retronauts.com/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Oh man, I had no idea. I guess I should have known better than to think it was permanent when they said it was canceled since it wasn't even the first time they canceled it and brought it back later.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow the new sword and scale was actually decent and thoughtful because the host found the 1/10 true crime writer that isn't a dumb sensationalist hick, she actually tempered and headed off his more simplistic/sensationalist/"crazy people are right behind you watch out!!"/"let's talk about EVIL" tendencies. If only every ep had a guest like that it'd be a pretty good show

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I don't know if this is the best place to ask but what's the cheapest workable external recorder? Been eyeing a Tascam DR-05 but if there's something cheaper and serviceable or better at the same price point i would love to find it

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

guess the podcast :lol:
"Next stop on our tour of CHILDREN WHO MURDER..."

last podcast on the left i think lmao

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love watching Difficult People and seeing all these moments and jokes from How Was Your Week on it. I hope Julie makes a new HWYW soon.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Wow the new sword and scale was actually decent and thoughtful because the host found the 1/10 true crime writer that isn't a dumb sensationalist hick, she actually tempered and headed off his more simplistic/sensationalist/"crazy people are right behind you watch out!!"/"let's talk about EVIL" tendencies. If only every ep had a guest like that it'd be a pretty good show

Speaking of true crime, a few months ago Reply All did one of the most transparent attempts at copying Serial that I've ever seen only it was so wrongheaded that it almost wrapped around to being incredible. The guy in prison was a middle-aged racist libertarian on the autism spectrum who was incredibly unlikable, there was a ton of evidence tying him to the crime and the victim and he had a long criminal record of violent and sexual crime, and in the end when they not only failed to prove he was innocent but uncovered even more evidence to the crime he snapped and was angrily yelling at and threatening the woman after months of swearing that he was incapable of expressing emotion thanks to his autism which is why he was falsely convicted.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It was much shorter and ended in a place of (more or less) certainty, at least. But yeah it was similar.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Guy Mann posted:

a middle-aged racist libertarian on the autism spectrum who was incredibly unlikable

See also, Redditor

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Blurry Photos.

If anyone likes/doesnt like but remembers fondly, Star Trek TNG then you'll like The Greatest Generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's unfortunate that Pardon My Take, the Barstool Sports podcast with PFT Commenter, is just OK, as well as the fact that he left SB Nation in the first place. If anyone has a truly funny sports podcast that isn't focused on hockey (I already listen a few of those), drop some names.