Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It does look like Warriors are getting a nerf, ravage no longer roots the target. Nothing that's being added to them looks particularly compelling or makes up for that fact. I wonder if any of these moves are going to get new animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Reddit has a bunch of the data mined move changes.

Looks like Sorcs are getting nerfed, their new utility allows them to root people with no cool down with their basic saber strike. I can't see how that would be useful in PvP at alllllll.

Haven't read through all this but passive stances and only tank specced AC's having access to Guard is something I've been asking for on the official forums for years. A good change.

Also lol at apparently needing Kolto Overload. Edit: never mind they made Kolto Surge a required utility.

They finally nerfed Corrupted Barrier too...easily the most OP utility in the game currently.

DrunkenGarbageCan fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 9, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chickenwalker posted:

It does look like Warriors are getting a nerf, ravage no longer roots the target. Nothing that's being added to them looks particularly compelling or makes up for that fact. I wonder if any of these moves are going to get new animations.

I'm pretty sure right now Ravage only roots if you're a certain discipline or take a certain utility point.

Dalris Othaine posted:

So is the nerf some other thing or is that just you being sarcastic again? :coffeepal:

So sarcastic. :)

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Haven't read through all this but passive stances and only tank specced AC's having access to Guard is something I've been asking for on the official forums for years. A good change.

Also lol at apparently needing Kolto Overload. Edit: never mind they made Kolto Surge a required utility.

They finally nerfed Corrupted Barrier too...easily the most OP utility in the game currently.

Yeah the stance thing is nice, though it will make it tougher to determine who's a tank or healer in regular PvP.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

I'm pretty sure right now Ravage only roots if you're a certain discipline or take a certain utility point.

It's a utility point; first one I take.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Yeah the stance thing is nice, though it will make it tougher to determine who's a tank or healer in regular PvP.

Well hopefully the passive stances still put a visible buff on the buff bar.

Now they just need to make the class buffs passive, remove them from the buff bar, and have them auto apply to anyone you're grouped with no matter distance.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Now they just need to make the class buffs passive, remove them from the buff bar, and have them auto apply to anyone you're grouped with no matter distance.

This would be great -- sometimes my companion will get rebuffed when I dismount/enter an instance, and sometimes they won't. And I can't figure out why it changes. :argh:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
There seems to have been a pretty dramatic crash in server population on JC in the last few days. This is an interesting development, because up to now I'd have called the pivot from MMO to "subscription-based episodic single-player game with MMO elements" a tentative success. But if enough players are using the end of KOTFE as a jumping-off point, and EA has no immediate plans to add more MMO content, then that success might have been really short term.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

shadok posted:

There seems to have been a pretty dramatic crash in server population on JC in the last few days. This is an interesting development, because up to now I'd have called the pivot from MMO to "subscription-based episodic single-player game with MMO elements" a tentative success. But if enough players are using the end of KOTFE as a jumping-off point, and EA has no immediate plans to add more MMO content, then that success might have been really short term.

Nothing new on the horizon for SWTOR until KOTET which is late October AT THE EARLIEST combined with this -

Means that's now surprising.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
That and the end of the summer school holidays.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stream going now on datamined stuff from PTS

Looks like they're getting rid of base classes, what happens to my level 65 Imperial Agent? :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And the detailed list

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

All players can now guard (if they have the skill) even in not a tank stance, stealth is now permanently "sneaked" which makes you truly invisible, and melee classes no longer have any channels. Whoah.

Edit - Operatives/Scoundrels losing cover and snipe/charged burst. So no ranged DPS for you at all. :D

Medullah fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 9, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looks like some big new stuff in there.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Those seem like pretty big changes in the way people go about their solo playing. :v:

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Medullah posted:

All players can now guard (if they have the skill) even in not a tank stance, stealth is now permanently "sneaked" which makes you truly invisible, and melee classes no longer have any channels. Whoah.

Edit - Operatives/Scoundrels losing cover and snipe/charged burst. So no ranged DPS for you at all. :D

Man I get why they're taking it away but I'll miss snipe on Op. I was bummed about losing explosive probe and orbital strike too.

Also I thought the other ability datamining said guard was only going to be usable by tanks. It doesn't really make sense to me to give it to DPS since it seems like they're trying to simplify roles.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Give every class roll to cover, I say.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Powertechs losing Death From Above is a sad thing. :( Hopefully the replacement move looks as cool as it sounds.

I don't know how I feel about the channeling change - Ravage will still take 3 seconds, and now you can move while doing it, but how will you know when it's done without a channel bar? Especially if you're a try hard that clips ravage at .4 left to get an extra GCD.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

I don't know how I feel about the channeling change - Ravage will still take 3 seconds, and now you can move while doing it, but how will you know when it's done without a channel bar? Especially if you're a try hard that clips ravage at .4 left to get an extra GCD.

Yeah I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this...if it takes 3 seconds to do it's damage then it's still a channel (even if you can move during) in all but name so what's the difference? Otherwise I would say it instantly does all it's damage in a GCD except for the "performs a series of lightsaber attacks" part.

eh the spirit of the changes are good even if Bioware probably, definitely messes up the details.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Powertechs losing Death From Above is a sad thing. :( Hopefully the replacement move looks as cool as it sounds.

Wait, where are you seeing that it still takes 3 seconds? The wording implies to me it's now just an instant ability.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kmzh posted:

Wait, where are you seeing that it still takes 3 seconds? The wording implies to me it's now just an instant ability.

During the stream they talked about it. Compared it to Deprecating Volts for Assassins. You can move while using it, but still takes time. I guess the benefit is you can't be interrupted, but conversely you can't end it early.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

So, we're losing the Dirty Kick aka Dick Kicking for Goodness for Below the Belt aka Shoot'em in the Nuts.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

M_Sinistrari posted:

So, we're losing the Dirty Kick aka Dick Kicking for Goodness for Below the Belt aka Shoot'em in the Nuts.

As I read it only Gunslingers are, Operatives should still have it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

As I read it only Gunslingers are, Operatives should still have it.

Yeah any move that was shared as a base class move is either being taken away (Force Lightning, Crushing Darkness and Phase Walk for Assassins, for example) or being replaced with a nearly identical move (Debilitate/Dirty Kick becoming Maim/Below the Belt for Snipers/Gunslinger)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'll probably log on around 9 EST tonight if any of you DvL seekers need to run Hard Modes.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

During the stream they talked about it. Compared it to Deprecating Volts for Assassins. You can move while using it, but still takes time. I guess the benefit is you can't be interrupted, but conversely you can't end it early.

Ah, ok. Just watched the stream and it seems like that's all speculation? A multi-GCD ability that you literally can't stop using would make no sense at all and completely screw up ops fights that for example might depend on quick interrupts.

It is true that all that damage in one GCD would be quite a bit, but maybe it could be something like a short DoT.

(Deprecating volts is a channel that you can stop.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I know, I was just using that as an example of moving while still doing a move. Maybe they'll let you stop by using another ability. We'll see.

Either way I'm excited about the Sniper buffs, I think Operative will be way more fun in PvP. Sad that Madness DPS is taking a huge hit but that was completely expected.

And Oedzi, if you ever play again Mercs won't be as squishy in pvp. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

And Oedzi, if you ever play again Mercs won't be as squishy in pvp. :)

Hope that goes for commandos, too. I'd like to get my valor-level-73 guy to 100 (there's an achievement, you see), but it's been really un-fun lately.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Hope that goes for commandos, too. I'd like to get my valor-level-73 guy to 100 (there's an achievement, you see), but it's been really un-fun lately.

Yeah the energy shield "enraged defense" type utility will make things easier when people focus you.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So what specifically do I need to qualify for this HK mission in the new patch?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Trast posted:

So what specifically do I need to qualify for this HK mission in the new patch?

Had to have been continuously subscribed from 10/01/2015 to 8/01/2016.

Edit - And then done KOTFE 1-9 and the "Arma Rasa" recruitment mission.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'll be honest, I had kind of forgotten why I enjoyed HK-55 so much but this bonus chapter was a real treat.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
That's a lot of direct damage nerfs for sorcs :(

E: i mean yeah they've needed one for the last four years but :v:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
FF14 is powering along with the most consistent high-quality updates of any MMO ever, while Blizzard seems to have woken up and put out a non-garbage expansion, even making an effort to implement good mechanics from other games.

Faced with this overwhelming competition, SWTOR is making sweeping class changes to effect PVP balance despite their designers never once having a handle on PVP balance in the nearly 5 years the game has been out.

...sigh...

I just don't care anymore. That's the most scathing damnation I can give this or any game. For a long time, I got angry about Bioware's retarded decisions. I'd be frustrated and bitch and moan whenever Bioware did Bioware poo poo, but that meant I was still invested at some level... that I was holding out hope things would get better.

Now? Man, I don't even have any motivation to log in and dress up Oeddard in stupid costumes. My subscription is paid up for another couple months, but I don't see myself renewing it. For drat sure, I'm not going to fall for whatever variation of "stay subscribed and get boatloads of HK-flavored trash" that their business model seems to be built around now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

FF14 is powering along with the most consistent high-quality updates of any MMO ever, while Blizzard seems to have woken up and put out a non-garbage expansion, even making an effort to implement good mechanics from other games.

Faced with this overwhelming competition, SWTOR is making sweeping class changes to effect PVP balance despite their designers never once having a handle on PVP balance in the nearly 5 years the game has been out.

...sigh...

I just don't care anymore. That's the most scathing damnation I can give this or any game. For a long time, I got angry about Bioware's retarded decisions. I'd be frustrated and bitch and moan whenever Bioware did Bioware poo poo, but that meant I was still invested at some level... that I was holding out hope things would get better.

Now? Man, I don't even have any motivation to log in and dress up Oeddard in stupid costumes. My subscription is paid up for another couple months, but I don't see myself renewing it. For drat sure, I'm not going to fall for whatever variation of "stay subscribed and get boatloads of HK-flavored trash" that their business model seems to be built around now.

That's not very positive talk from our glorious guild leader! You're supposed to inspire and motivate us! We could be the top guild on the server!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

At least top 8 or 9 so I have more garbage to feed my cartel droid companion.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Nipponophile posted:

...sigh...

What if I made you a special hat?

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I still say that becoming less MMO-ey is one of the better ideas they've had. There's many, many MMOs out in the world, we won't feel the loss of another one. It was kind of a silly idea to make it an MMO in the first place, really, given how many people wanted KOTOR 3. A semi-co-op Star Wars game is just about right though, and I'm happier with the direction of the game these days than I've ever been.

Releasing another 16 man raid? Snoreasaurus. Another chapter? Hell yes.

E: Do I wish that they'd drop the pretense and actually make a single player game, shaking off the remaining trappings of WOW-clone-itis? Yes. But I also understand that that's not really a thing that can happen. So :shrug:

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 10, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalris Othaine posted:

I still say that becoming less MMO-ey is one of the better ideas they've had. There's many, many MMOs out in the world, we won't feel the loss of another one. It was kind of a silly idea to make it an MMO in the first place, really, given how many people wanted KOTOR 3. A semi-co-op Star Wars game is just about right though, and I'm happier with the direction of the game these days than I've ever been.

Releasing another 16 man raid? Snoreasaurus. Another chapter? Hell yes.

E: Do I wish that they'd drop the pretense and actually make a single player game, shaking off the remaining trappings of WOW-clone-itis? Yes. But I also understand that that's not really a thing that can happen. So :shrug:

Unfortunately, the single-player RPG part of KOTFE sucked by single-player RPG standards with a few good moments like HK-55 and the Gault chapter, even if they improved many of the raw mechanics to playing the game.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Unfortunately, the single-player RPG part of KOTFE sucked by single-player RPG standards with a few good moments like HK-55 and the Gault chapter, even if they improved many of the raw mechanics to playing the game.

You keep saying that, but most people around here seem to really like the story. Do you want to elaborate, or..? I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I'm legitimately curious about what you perceive as the fatal flaws here.

Also with all this loving shilling I'm doing, can I get a special hat? :catholic:

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
I do hope this is the culmination and end of the HK sub rewards. It's enough HK.
I really enjoyed the chapter but I'm suffering with HK burnout.

• Locked thread