Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cartoon posted:

Hi! Looking for excuses here! At what ping does the game become noncompetitive/unplayable? Asking for a friend...

Stable ping? Rossmum was able to play at a stable ~200-250 ping reliably. Whether he played badly because he's a goon or because of the ping was never identified. Unfortunately, high ping might also come with fatal packet loss, where you just don't get input from the WGNA servers for 1-10 seconds, and that makes the game totally unplayable. Telia.net is real trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Had a thing where all the audio and screen would stutter last night. Might be my local ISP who makes Wargaming look competent.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Yo JG I found this, can you retrieve your accounts?

Maybe POTCOS,but the JCGG account, i bought.

Also, i have more ENdo incoming.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

CitizenKain posted:

The mod situation isn't helping, but I know the primary reason I stopped playing is they more or less stopped working on the game. Still waiting on them to make 6th sense a baseline ability, they haven't done the skill rework and the only new content has been the mediocre Czech tree.

I'm not saying it's the primary reason, no. Most players don't even use mods or, apparently, change many settings at all. But I think they're in a panic trying to stop the tailspin and saw it as one of the areas where they could easily improve. It's the right call, though it's embarrassing how long it took them to make it.

Compared to large, sweeping changes to the gameplay to try to lure users back (balance 2.0) these are small commitments with clear payoffs. These aren't controversial additions either, so they're not risking pissing off even more players with poorly thought out gameplay changes or gimmicky game modes.

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
I still see stable populations on na tho - are you sure the playerbase is actually decreasing, not just changing? I think they poo poo their pants with aw, and saw they could have competition (regardless of aw being competition), and the minor qol changes are the first thing ANY game implements.

Also the skorpion g is the best money I ever spent on wot and I bought a type 59.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I came about after 1.5 years or so of not playing and the NA server population is noticeably lower than when I last played actively. Also, the lower tiers are dead which makes low tiers an absolute hell which means the NA population will never grow from here.

Yes, tiers 6 -10 are still pretty stable but with a slowly declining population and no growth, Wargaming already has a huge problem on their hands.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Have you queued for a tier one match on NA? Almost always times out. It's easy enough to bounce straight to tier II but even there the waits are 2 minutes + and it sometimes times out too. That can't be encouraging new players especially when without gold your tier II crew are going to suck.

e:fb

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Have you queued for a tier one match on NA? Almost always times out. It's easy enough to bounce straight to tier II but even there the waits are 2 minutes + and it sometimes times out too. That can't be encouraging new players especially when without gold your tier II crew are going to suck.

Depends on the time - you could probably get a tier 1 match at prime time, but I tried to do a Pz B2 match (tier 4 max) at 3 AM Eastern and got a 9v9 with a weird tank distribution, where we got two arti and the enemy got one, all tier 4.

But yeah I would not want to start playing World of Tanks, and that's not just a dig at how playing World of Tanks with pubbies makes me want to crawl in a hole and die. The lower tiers frequently are literally unplayable on the NA server! That's a bad thing, and the fact that Wargaming isn't hitting the goddamn reset button on the matchmaking changes to try to get the seal clubbers back into filling out the queues is kind of amazing. Seriously the game needs experienced players playing lower tiers. They removed the really abusive maps at tier 1 (Province and Malinovka) and new tier 1s get 100% crews, so they're not completely out-view-ranged, and all the tier 1s have been nerfed into the ground (except the LTraktor) and the T18 menace is gone. It'd be a boon for the NA server to attract the low tier experienced players bad. Nerf the hell out of the Cruisers and it'll be even more balanced, too!

really i just want to play my loving pz1c without being stuck in a tier 4 or 5 battle literally 90%+ of the time.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:ohdear: Don't nerf my Cruiser III! I already suck at tanks this is all that keeps me going.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

:ohdear: Don't nerf my Cruiser III! I already suck at tanks this is all that keeps me going.

The Cruiser 3, 2, and 4 are vastly better than their tiermates, substantially better at fighting above their tier and easily able to kill lower tier or equal tier tanks in either one shot, or in a few seconds, while also maintaining top-of-the-line view range, mobility and gun depression. They're better than the T18 ever was, and nobody's asking for the T18 to come back to murder newbies. gently caress the T18 had a view range of 240, the Cruiser 3 at the same tier has a view range of 320! The loving KV-1 has a view range of 310 meters, very few tier threes have a view range above 320m. Or also the Cruiser 3 and 4 have regular pen that is higher than many of their tiermates gold pens, and then they get absurdly high gold pens on top of that that allows them to fight higher tier tanks with ease. The Cruiser 2 is an old-style T82 with a turret, which can just eliminate any same tier tank at will, and take half the health off of a tier 5, which is something they probably should move away from.

Balancing these tanks by making them bottom tier, or literally unable to find a match, isn't a good plan.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

JohnGalt posted:

Maybe POTCOS,but the JCGG account, i bought.

Also, i have more ENdo incoming.

Ok, if you need one I can give you an account. You don't have PMs though so :saddowns:

Cartoon posted:

I played some low tiers (like 2-3) about a week ago. Got some full matches, some 7v7s. Playable, just clearly "unpopular." There definitely needs to be more incentive to play lower tiers, and the whole "segregate sealclubbers" doesn't make it any easier to find matches.

The thing that would make it easier to get through tier 1 is that training mode ("proving grounds"?) with bots (which are dumb and shoot 5-damage shells :3:). Currently it's a separate game mode that stops giving XP after 10 battles, but they could just as easily roll it into random battles so that everyone who wants (or needs) to play tier 1 can get in a battle immediately. Hit "battle", wait 10 seconds, throw [an even number of the] players into a 15v15 padded out by equal numbers of bots on each team and be done with it. You could even do this with higher tiers, where MM grabs tanks and tries to make a balanced match, and then gives each team some bots; it'd end up being like 10v10 with 5 bots on each team, but that shouldn't matter because it'd be balanced and each team would be happy for the XP piñatas.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They don't segregate seal clubbers at low tiers, at least not on NA West. Nobody plays low tiers anymore, so you gotta wait like 5 mins in the queue before matchmaker eventually goes "gently caress it" and throws in whoever.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I finally got the first personal missions reward tank! :yayclod:

I'm pretty sure WG will go out of business before I get the second one though.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
the visibility changes in the upcoming patch seems very nice (and overdue)!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I picked this back up after about a year of not playing. Did the E1 used to be good? Or did I just think it was? It seems like a turd now, or maybe I just haven't picked it up yet again, or maybe I'm just bad?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I had this gem of a game last night:

loving typical.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Tried out Tiger 1 on my sheriff. Its pretty loving op when its decked out with a 9 skill crew and running food. 5.3 reload, ability to sidescrape, and with gold rounds? Nothing else compares at tier.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Object 268 and Objects 282

Queue:
TACAM T-60

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3A1
Combat Car T4

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38 NEW

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
L-60

:poland:
7TP
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzII Ausf. a though b]
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C
Renault R35 in German service
37 mm Pak

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 12, 2016

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's effectively a T9.5 - the fact that it leads to two good T10 mediums is just gravy. Back in ~the old days~, running with HEAT rounds made you feel like you were packing a laser up top.

What exactly was the difference to today's gun?

McGavin posted:

They don't segregate seal clubbers at low tiers, at least not on NA West. Nobody plays low tiers anymore, so you gotta wait like 5 mins in the queue before matchmaker eventually goes "gently caress it" and throws in whoever.

I've had zero trouble getting games rapidly in my T67 and SU-85B

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've had zero trouble getting games rapidly in my T67 and SU-85B

I'm talking about tiers 1 and 2.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

Yeah, I think it ~tries~ to segregate us but fails due to the low population, so the end result is that the matches are the same but with an unnecessarily longer queue time. Wargaming!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The HEAT rounds used to have penetration amounts so high it felt like shooting a laser.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Bought a artillery to finish the personal missions, with the aim of getting a german T-55 eventually.

After a couple of games, I've realized that I don't want a T-55 that much. I'm baffled by the fact that thousands of people apparently play artillery willingly.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I want to say the HEAT was like 400+ pen.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Steelion posted:

I want to say the HEAT was like 400+ pen.

Did HEAT rounds back then not spazz out with angled armor and such?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Old HEAT didn't really care about spaced armor, and also was vastly less expensive and higher pen. I think the T-54 had 400 pen HEAT, along with the IS-4 and the Chinese high tier tanks? It was kind of absurd.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't really remember the specifics, but old T-54 gold ammo was basically pres butan receive penetration. IS-7s? E100s? It didn't give a poo poo.

The T-54 is still decent, but there's a reason almost everyone who has played longer than like three years has it in his garage.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
According to the 8.6 patchnotes, the T-54 "only" had 350mm pen HEAT (still OP today). It's crazy how many shells had 350-400mm of pen back in the day, and look at those 105mm derp guns with 150mm pen!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

According to the 8.6 patchnotes, the T-54 "only" had 350mm pen HEAT (still OP today). It's crazy how many shells had 350-400mm of pen back in the day, and look at those 105mm derp guns with 150mm pen!

Yup, the IS-4's M62 had 400 mm of non-sucky HEAT pen! I remember the days of CW with my IS-4 shooting clan-funded gold shells. :allears:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

After they removed the Pz4 bobblehead, I kept up the ridiculous stats on that tank by running the 105mm on the Pz4. It was the death of an era when they nerfed that HEAT round and while it was probably for the best, I'll miss the nearly 1k damage a round I had in that tank, only surpassed by the Churchill I

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
There was a glorious window of when gold shells were made purchasable by credits and before they nerfed the 105mm guns on the Sherman and Pz4, and by glorious I mean goddamn frustrating for everyone that wasn't running that tank. It was possible to one shot most tier 3s, some tier 4s and non-heavy tier 5's were in two shot territory. 150mm of pen meant you could easily go through the front of KV-1, KV-2 and KV-1S series tanks, and could get full pens on the sides of everything. Good times.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

CitizenKain posted:

There was a glorious window of when gold shells were made purchasable by credits and before they nerfed the 105mm guns on the Sherman and Pz4, and by glorious I mean goddamn frustrating for everyone that wasn't running that tank. It was possible to one shot most tier 3s, some tier 4s and non-heavy tier 5's were in two shot territory. 150mm of pen meant you could easily go through the front of KV-1, KV-2 and KV-1S series tanks, and could get full pens on the sides of everything. Good times.

There was that sale on 105mm HEAT shells back then for the M4 as well....

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Look, nerfing the 105mm guns was probably necessary, but they could have gone the other way and just buffed everything else.

Okay maybe in this particular situation that wouldn't work out well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

350mm *average*. The max roll was 400mm+ something.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Bought a artillery to finish the personal missions, with the aim of getting a german T-55 eventually.

After a couple of games, I've realized that I don't want a T-55 that much. I'm baffled by the fact that thousands of people apparently play artillery willingly.

Light tank missions are way more situational and retarded to complete than the arty ones. Most of the artillery missions you knock out in random games. For the light tank spotting missions you need to get a perfect storm of a good spotting map, a good team that shoots at red tanks and a camping enemy team you can weed out 1 by 1. Well that sounds easy enough! *gets himmelsdorf 4 times in a row*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'll start playing if they make the personal missions passive. This 'activate a mission and then play to finish it' thing is horseshit. Targeting a mission should be what you should do when you're intentionally going for a secondary achievement after you've already achieved the primary goal passively just *playing the game*.

"Oh, sorry - we lost because I was busy off in my own loving world trying to complete LT-14 ~lawl~ but hey, I was only 1/15th of the team so ~it's not my fault~!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 12, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

primelaw posted:

There was that sale on 105mm HEAT shells back then for the M4 as well....

They had a half off HEAT sale coincide with a Patton tree sale and I want to say either 30 or 50 percent silver credit boost on the Sherman. It was truly the greatest weekend. With prem time it was easy to knock out 100k profit games with minimal effort. And there may have been a boost on the Super Pershing too, meaning that it could net 150k while also shooting nothing but APCR. Kinda wish WG would go back to that kind of stuff.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it was the best of times and it was the worst of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Console's getting the Chieftain Mk 6 this week as an additional Tier Ten heavy option, so maybe that's interesting news ahead for non-Asia PC players.