Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

They should have a "Hawkman Dies" monthly where he is reborn on page one and dies on page 22.

They already have a Legends of Tomorrow book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Rhyno posted:

They should have a "Hawkman Dies" monthly where he is reborn on page one and dies on page 22.

Turning him into DC's Immortal Man might at least be mildly interesting.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.cbr.com/percy-on-the-friendship-that-hopefully-unites-the-teen-titans/

This interview is helping to get me more excited for the Rebirth version of the team.

Also features new pages featuring Raven:

I'm really happy that my favorite team, and two of my favorite heroes in general (Beast Boy and Raven), might actually be in a respectable comic again.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Teen Titans of the Earth One series (two volumes, written by Jeff Lemire) aren't too shabby.
I say that as someone who's never read the classic Titans stories, only bits of the modern dreck.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought they were alright myself after I read them. I liked how they went in a wildly different direction with the characters' origins, and that they went with romances that aren't the usual Beast Boy/Raven, Beast Boy/Terra, Robin/Raven, Robin/Starfire that tends to dominate modern Teen Titans stuff. But, I wasn't too invested into the plot and yet another evil Jericho thing was just plain tiresome to me.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

frameset posted:

You mean Resurrection Man?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frameset posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of DC's Kenny.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Alucard Nacirema posted:

You mean Resurrection Man?

Man, I wished it had been more interesting. At least the series from a couple years back got me to seek out the original.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

http://www.cbr.com/percy-on-the-friendship-that-hopefully-unites-the-teen-titans/

This interview is helping to get me more excited for the Rebirth version of the team.

I'm really happy that my favorite team, and two of my favorite heroes in general (Beast Boy and Raven), might actually be in a respectable comic again.

So, Raven has gone full faux-anime again.

It's still better than the New 52 version.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

So, Raven has gone full faux-anime again.

It's still better than the New 52 version.

"Her own emo series"?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
That was published in 2008. Please read things before commenting on them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

That was published in 2008. Please read things before commenting on them.

I wasn't referring to that as the New 52 version, that was the "again" part of my post.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Then post a current pic.

Also, Damien Scott's work is clearly influenced by manga, why is that a bad thing? I enjoyed his work on Batgirl.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not necessarily bad, just particularity notable among the usual awfulness of DC's bland, gritty house style. That said, manga-lite art is always gonna be running a thin line between inspiration and "badly aping".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roth posted:

Goliath is back! :neckbeard:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

It's not necessarily bad, just particularity notable among the usual awfulness of DC's bland, gritty house style.

Your attitude and use of "faux-anime" implies it's bad. It's different and as you say, notable.

quote:

That said, manga-lite art is always gonna be running a thin line between inspiration and "badly aping".
I'm unsure how to respond to this without argument or attack.

Have you seen Pat Gleason's art on Superman? According to your metric it's bad, but I really enjoy it.

Here's the current design for the Teen Titans, Raven in the lower right corner.

Yes, it's manga-influenced, but I see "energetic and dynamic" rather than "badly aping." It's a matter of opinion. And it's certainly not the Ame-Comi stuff, which sounds more like what you're talking about.

Let's just say we disagree, because we have different tastes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dario the Wop posted:

Then post a current pic.

Also, Damien Scott's work is clearly influenced by manga, why is that a bad thing? I enjoyed his work on Batgirl.

His work on Batgirl was amazing. I loved this issue of Solo he did with a story starring Cass & Tim in the future.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Just looked at that Solo issue, and realized I spelled his name wrong. Damion Scott.

Good stuff. I love all the energy. Totally agree with WH on the DC house style, I wish more artists took inspiration from others, rather than Jim Lee. Check out this pic from Wizard back in the day:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ooof. That's an example of bad art, right?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

But enough about your posting

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

Try saying why. For example, I say it's good because it's energetic and different. It's not perfect, the style definitely fits younger characters like Batgirl and Robin, but I like it. I'll even admit I'm biased towards the artist because, again, I think his Batgirl work was great.

You're a smart person and capable of better discussion.

EDIT: Sorry for detailing the thread. Here's another example of Pat Gleason's non-house style art.

I'm really forward to Super Sons. I expect Damian (Robin, not the artist mentioned before) to be a great bad influence on Jon.

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 11, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Personally I think the arrow shaped chimney pointing right at Cassie's crotch is an excellent touch.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

It seems obvious??? Like it's downright liefeldian. The eyes, the twisted hips, the boobs, Cassie's feet bending at inhuman angles, whatever the hell is going on with Elektra's arms.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Rhyno posted:

Personally I think the arrow shaped chimney pointing right at Cassie's crotch is an excellent touch.
I don't see it. Can you post a pic? For example, where is it here? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

EDIT: Wait, do you mean the bat-symbol on her chest? It's stylized. I don't see what you mean.

Dario the Wop fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 11, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dario the Wop posted:

EDIT: Sorry for detailing the thread. Here's another example of Pat Gleason's non-house style art.

Just a minor nitpick, that artist is Jorge Jimenez, not Pat Gleason.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Just a minor nitpick, that artist is Jorge Jimenez, not Pat Gleason.
Thank you! I appreciate it, I totally screwed that up. I assumed it was Gleason because it's similar to the art on current Superman issues.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Decent enough, albeit heavily stylized.

Everything regarding size and perspective here is wonky as hell and really bad.

This one is pretty good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dario the Wop posted:

I don't see it. Can you post a pic? For example, where is it here? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

EDIT: Wait, do you mean the bat-symbol on her chest? It's stylized. I don't see what you mean.

He means the literal actual pipe on the roof they are fighting on, that is pointing at Batgirl's crotch.

Dario the Wop posted:

This is a drat lie and you know it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You guys are looking at the crotch arrow. Personally I'm more interested in Elektra's Omega Red style tentacle coming from her boob. I gotta say, I'm not a fan of either of those images. They're both vibrant and colorful, sure, but that's where the positives end. That picture of Superman is really ugly. How is he twisting that his waist looks like that? Why are his hands melting into his shirt? Where's his hair? I won't pretend I know a ton about art, but I'm not a fan.

yes I know it's not Elektra

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

SonicRulez posted:

yes I know it's not Elektra
Actually, it is. It's from Wizard, a magazine about comics that regularly featured "articles" about Marvel/DC dream matches. Terrible magazine that had fun art and funny captions.

Also the Omega Red-style tentacle is wiring being broken apart.

One doesn't have to "know a lot about art" to discuss art (particularly comic book art), it's just better to say why you do or don't like something than just smugly say "that sucks." :)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

This is a drat lie and you know it.

Travis I know you have a barely concealed crush on me, but please, let's not flirt in public, it's tacky.

Dario the Wop posted:

One doesn't have to "know a lot about art" to discuss art (particularly comic book art), it's just better to say why you do or don't like something than just smugly say "that sucks." :)

I tried breaking it down, I dunno if that helps or not.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

I tried breaking it down, I dunno if that helps or not.
'Course it does. I hope you know I didn't mean to attack you, if that's how you interpreted it. I'm just not a fan of snark in place of substance.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Dario the Wop posted:

Actually, it is. It's from Wizard, a magazine about comics that regularly featured "articles" about Marvel/DC dream matches. Terrible magazine that had fun art and funny captions.

Oh poo poo, I thought it was Shiva in red for whatever reason. That's cool. I remember the old Marvel vs DC stuff vaguely. Ben Reilly was Spider-Man at the time and I think he fought shades jacket Superboy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dario the Wop posted:

'Course it does. I hope you know I didn't mean to attack you, if that's how you interpreted it. I'm just not a fan of snark in place of substance.

I don't usually try to be snarky, I'm just bad at getting my exact thoughts across clearly, so my speech tends to be limited or else I end up babbling vaguely and incoherently, most of the time.

So I guess good on me for being able to get across detailed opinions for once.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

WickedHate posted:

I don't usually try to be snarky, I'm just bad at getting my exact thoughts across clearly, so my speech tends to be limited or else I end up babbling vaguely and incoherently, most of the time.

So I guess good on me for being able to get across detailed opinions for once.
I got the same problem. Sometimes I derail threads by accident. I frequently try to post and end up deleting it and restarting or just giving up. Then others make the point I wanted to make and I get demoralized. It's fun.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just wanted to talk about Teen Titans :(

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
Then let's!

I recall reading that this version of the team is manipulated by Damian into coming together. Other than that and the two pics posted, I don't know anything about the new series. Hoping it's good, because Teen Titans has been suffering for longer than I care to remember.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dario the Wop posted:

Then let's!

I recall reading that this version of the team is manipulated by Damian into coming together.
Damien Batmans the TT into forming, so we can have a wonderful "You LIED to us" team breakdown halfway through?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

Damien Batmans the TT into forming, so we can have a wonderful "You LIED to us" team breakdown halfway through?

Oh no, he tells them exactly what they're doing.

He just gets the team together by literally kidnapping them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sounds more interesting than Batman forcing Damien kicking and screaming into joining the Teen Titans.