Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Allen Wren posted:

Kash literally tries to sign up for every single game put in front of him. Take that as you will.

It's not like he doesn't play them, so I don't know what you're trying to imply here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
sounds neat

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MrThingyman posted:

Hi guys

Deadline for signing up for the Hydra Event is Sept 14. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's a fun event between many different sites each sending one or more hydras (pairs of people playing on the same account).

We're up to 79 confirmed hydras (158 people).

Kashuno expressed an interest, but I'm not sure if it was serious or not. Have they or anyone else found a partner? If so, lemme know, I'll check in later today.

If anyone wants to partner up for this I am down

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
nvm

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

quote:

still need players for this game!! just a measly five, come on you know you want to play. it's a minigame too so it should be easier to follow right?!

EccoRaven posted:

Meanwhile, there's been a murder on the island of Rene. Participate in this Insulting Inquiry and make Decapua great again.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

If anyone wants to partner up for this I am down

TMM needs to do this with you.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

King Burgundy posted:

+1

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Get him to I will put in literally 0 effort to recruit anyone but if someone comes forward I will play

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kashuno posted:

Get him to I will put in literally 0 effort to recruit anyone but if someone comes forward I will play

Sent him a PM.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

Not a chance in the world.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
is cyberbullying against the rules of the world mafia championships

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Asiina posted:

I absolutely have to relate to someone or I have no interest. It's the same reason I hate Seinfeld or It's Always Sunny. At best I just find it boring because I don't care what happens to any of the characters, but if it's really bad and they're really unlikeable then I'll actually get angry or disgusted with the show/movie for being about such awful people.

I'm more willing to accept characters I don't like than I was in the past, but there still needs to be someone relateable in a central role to counteract that. The Office I toughed it out until an episode where they got away from the cringe and found some humanity in the characters. Breaking Bad I seriously disliked until giving it enough time to get to Gus and Mike. Arrested Development had its moments where the humanity would shine through, enough to make me keep watching it, but I'd never watch it again and wish after I gave up the first time I never went back.

Coen brother's characters are difficult to describe. It's like they're complex while being really shallow. I feel like I know everything about that character almost immediately because features are so exaggerated, but those feature are often quite different from characters in other movies or actual people. But because of that I feel like I know them, but can't relate to them because they're not real. It's like some characterization uncanny valley poo poo.

And I can talk about other stuff like dialogue and plot and visuals, but character will always be the #1 factor on whether I like a movie or not.

You need likable characters, yet you associate with Something Awful Mafia. WEIRD.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

dongsbot 9000 posted:

is cyberbullying against the rules of the world mafia championships

I thought that's what mafia was

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bebe's Kids

That thing I said last time wasn't true, you can just walk right on through. The hit boxes on doors are pretty tricky, which makes this next level a little more annoying than it already is.

Sure. The Haunted House is sort of... eh. I started using save states at this point because for some reason the house of glass was kicking my rear end every time I tried to play through it. It's the speedrun killer I know it. I was not saving mid level though.

I was stuck on this room for an embarrassing amount of time before I realized you had to go through the door and you didn't come through it. Then it started making sense.

Ignore that 1UP tantalizingly out of reach. You see, the Haunted house is a maze, but it's a very mean one where all the rooms look almost exactly the same and doors walk out of don't always lead back to where you came from. That thermometer in the top is a warmer/colder indicator which is surprisingly intuitive for this game.

The enemies in here are mummies and bats, as well as weird wall paintings that blow bubbles smoke rings at you. Also, instead of baseballs and basketballs, you find bones, skulls and pieces of chain throw, which is great. Honestly this segment feels like a completely different game.

Trial and Erroring my way through (which was helped a lot by the save state at the beginning of the level) I found that these bookshelves could be doors as well, and even worse, they led to different places depending on weather you went through the left or right side. Also, like the doors, turning around and walking back through the bookshelf would not always lead to the place you came from. It's haunted you know.

One more thing, the enemies in here aren't too bad, the mummies you can pretty much just walk around, the paintings are pretty irritating but you're mostly just trying to get through a maze before the time limit is up.

Not really much to remark on before the end, now we go back into generic park area.

A new weapon, the hammer.

And we're off to the Land ' O' Pirates

Join me next time for some of this:

Jump King fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 11, 2016

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

As someone who is legitimately actively attempting to speedrun this game in their spare time, this is great to read. Keep it up, MMM!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

As someone who is legitimately actively attempting to speedrun this game in their spare time, this is great to read. Keep it up, MMM!

As someone who enjoys speed running weird choices, that really seems bizarre to me LM

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
lm you didnt answer me

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 28, 2020

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

largest comeback in Chiefs history, our defense actually decided to show up, and my dad and I just shared a close moment of bonding. best of all, we beat the chargers. never forget :911:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

largest comeback in Chiefs history, our defense actually decided to show up, and my dad and I just shared a close moment of bonding. best of all, we beat the chargers. never forget :911:

I've always had a soft spot for Alex Smith

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

chaoslord posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Alex Smith

why

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
New York flight is booked!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Is the glass house the run killer?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

The place I stayed at happened to be a few blocks from the Hamilton Grange, the house Hamilton lived at before he died, and I'd recommend checking it out if you're in the area. It's a really small museum and historical restoration, but it's an interesting insight into the personal life of the historical Hamilton

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm there for quite a few days, so I'm going to see SO MANY THINGS!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How long?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Asiina posted:

:woop:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

A little under a week.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Don't get sick!

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Asiina posted:

A little under a week.

Go to the meat packing district and ask them to pack some meat for you. I've heard that's really fun and trendy

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

yeah then go to soho and ask what cardinal direction houston street is

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I recommend going north and doing some gentrification.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Buy a cronut

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Actually don't do that. That's one of the things I regret

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

you should see a broadway show like aladdin or fiddler on the roof!!!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fun Home is pretty good

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

it closed yesterday!!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fun Home? More like Gone Home!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011