Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Because not long after that, this happens.

While they're less durable than even the cheapest Chinese crap, If you just pull on the plug instead of the cord this doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

theperminator posted:

While they're less durable than even the cheapest Chinese crap, If you just pull on the plug instead of the cord this doesn't happen.

that's a lot of responsibility to ask for someone who's mindset is "every two years i need a brand new 1/8th of an inch thick computer or why bother living"

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

theperminator posted:

the plug is tiny. If they made the plastic bit like 2 or 3 times longer it might work but right now that's too much precision to pull a drat cable

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Sounds like someone who doesn't use iMessage or a similar service. thathonkey, I mean. Not explaining the images

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i wouldnt be caught dead slangin green bubbles i bleed blue

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sounds like someone who doesn't use iMessage or a similar service. thathonkey, I mean. Not explaining the images

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
when the revolution comes those with blue text bubbles will be first against the wall

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Vegetable posted:

the plug is tiny. If they made the plastic bit like 2 or 3 times longer it might work but right now that's too much precision to pull a drat cable

try losing a little weight so your fingers aren't like sausages

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i do most of my chatting on fb:m i guess. hosed up world we live in.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This never would have happened if stebe job hadn't died from eating a pineapple

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

Apple is okay at integration, but their actual engineering is crap. Their R&D budget is somewhere around 5%, which shows how little they value actual innovation. Most of the good tech they own is stuff that was developed but DARPA, acquired from SRI, or elsewhere. Apple makes their money from good marketing, not good engineering.

A lot of companies would kill to get Apple's Harley Davidson-like product cult they've built up over the years; it's pretty amazing what they've accomplished from a marketing standpoint

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Humboldt Squid posted:

This never would have happened if stebe job hadn't died from eating a pineapple

he didn't eat enough of them or it would've cured his cancer

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

etalian posted:

Ankler lightning cables are so much better designed than the standard apple design

this makes me want to puck

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
can't argue with putting bulletproof materials in your charging cable

hell, i'm sure it's saved my life dozens of times

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
bullet proof kevlar fiber for your wires

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

protip: It's not about the headphones.

They got rid of the headphone jack to stick it to Square and all those other easy vendor payment processor things and to try and get all the small shops using apple pay, I bet their next round of tablets wont have a jack either

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blockade posted:

They got rid of the headphone jack to stick it to Square and all those other easy vendor payment processor things and to try and get all the small shops using apple pay, I bet their next round of tablets wont have a jack either

I suggested this a while back, my conclusion wasn't that they want food-trucks to be iOS-only establishments though, I thought they just wanted to force Square to make Lightning-compatible card readers and pay to license their patent in the process

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I guess they ensured a continuing market for non-7 iPhones then.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
"You don't think restricting our ecosystem even further will result in our customers buying android phones," the Apple executive can't even finish the question with a straight face, the board room erupts in laughter.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

loquacius posted:

I suggested this a while back, my conclusion wasn't that they want food-trucks to be iOS-only establishments though, I thought they just wanted to force Square to make Lightning-compatible card readers and pay to license their patent in the process
Square can just modify their card swiper thing to better fit the lightning-to-audio converter

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought the Square reader used Bluetooth and the headphone jack was just a holder for the device but nope that's how it communicates with the device like it's a loving dialup modern

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought the Square reader used Bluetooth and the headphone jack was just a holder for the device but nope that's how it communicates with the device like it's a loving dialup modern

It's pretty clever, it means you don't need a battery in it and it will never get pushed off by drunk people swiping.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

"the 3.5mm jack has been around for decades, it's so archaic and useless"

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
it just looks like a pain in the rear end to have to carry around another box containing headphones. theyre also so expensive that id just have to use another device to listen to music with for any sort of exercise anyway. wouldnt really care to walk around looking like i shoved tampons in my ears either way

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

agreed but can they not make lightning port versions or are they truly doomed by the change

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

They can. It'll just cost them a $4 licensing fee per device.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is that what it costs to make lightning accessories?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They'll just use a non-flimsy lightning-to-audiojack converter it's not a big deal

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Apple is the trump of the tech world, just how far can we push it before people are like nah dude.. that's enough I'm out.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blockade posted:

Oh poo poo in total forgot all about this fact.
99% of food trucks are iPad and square.

Sorry for the double post.. Sombrero dale don't care.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

:wow:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Is that what it costs to make lightning accessories?

It's $4 per connector, so it's $4 at least and $8 if they want to provide a pass through.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Germstore posted:

It's $4 per connector, so it's $4 at least and $8 if they want to provide a pass through.

Passthrough? :lol: who would want to charge the phone and take payment at the same time

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I don't know, maybe through out an 8 hour work day you may need to hook it up to a battery bank or some poo poo. Who knows. But if you want to provide that option it's an extra $4.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Germstore posted:

I don't know, maybe through out an 8 hour work day you may need to hook it up to a battery bank or some poo poo. Who knows. But if you want to provide that option it's an extra $4.

Did you not pay the DRM chip fee for your sarcasm detector

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Oh. It is kind of a borderline case. I assume the existing devices physically block the charging port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Has anyone spared a thought for the poor asian kid that spent he last 3/4 of his 10 year old life attaching the phone jacks to every phone who is now out of a job.
I bet you they are feeding his corpse to the rest of the work force to save costs.

• Locked thread