Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

TTS has auto dials and automatic bumping now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The real fun is what happens in half my games when someone's slaved dials are released, you have to mark the ship, and fiddle around with getting it to work again. For a number of these incidents, you can't slave the dials again and will have to play it manually for the rest of the game.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Winner of Brazilian nationals was a tanky palp/isanne Kenkirk and Soontir. Won 100 - 0 against Jax Inq Palp Shuttle

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, there's no typing craziness in TTS except for saving dials at the start. Everything is automated after that. You also can't really cheat like it's possible to do in vassal last I heard (using multiple dials laid on top of each other or something weird).

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Had a fun couple of games at the FLGS today. The guy was watching a Armada game so I thought he was new. When he started pulling out tournament reward tokens and cards I realized he knew what he was doing. Ran the Oicunn+Inq+Academy pilot and had a lot of fun with it. He ran Mist Hunter+Hound's tooth. I was able to get a win for that one. The second game he pulls out a Palp aces (with Ryad, Carnor and Palpatine in the shuttle)and I got chewed up. Was running a Hera+Zeb+2x Prototype pilots.

Is the better strategy to try to focus fire palp first or try to take out Carnor. Since he had the stealth device it was pretty tough to get any shots off at him. It was a spectacular list and he had his tactics down. What kind of rebel lists do people run when going up against carnor or palp?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Australian nationals is coming up next weekend so today I went over to a mates place and played X-Wing for 13 hours straight in preparation.

I'll probably do it again tomorrow and Friday too.

God I love X-Wing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Australian nationals is coming up next weekend so today I went over to a mates place and played X-Wing for 13 hours straight in preparation.

I'll probably do it again tomorrow and Friday too.

God I love X-Wing.

:eyepop: I'm amazed anyone can spend marathon sessions playing this game, but wow. Do you just run them through a gauntlet of popular meta builds?

The most I do is an hour here and there; I actually spend more time painting my minis for regionals prep.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: I'm amazed anyone can spend marathon sessions playing this game, but wow. Do you just run them through a gauntlet of popular meta builds?

The most I do is an hour here and there; I actually spend more time painting my minis for regionals prep.

We had a 3rd person join us for a couple of games so we weren't playing 100% of the time but we played 7 or 8 games each between breaks for lunch and dinner.

It's good practice for big tournaments because you have to be able to play your list while tired. I didn't actually find it as exhausting as a proper tournament because the pace was slower and there was less at stake. We could afford to try the riskier, experimental moves to see what works and what doesn't and didn't have to sweat it as much.

We did some meta lists just to get some practice in against the lists that are tough match ups. It also helps to fly the meta lists to get a feel for what they are capable of.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/12/whats-in-a-dial/

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wonder if Max Brooke is responsible for stillborn Finn

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
So, since Hastings is going out of business, they're marking down all their poo poo massive amounts; the one here in my town is apparently receiving product from a lot of stores in the state, and they have in four copies of Armada's base game at about 60% off retail.

I mention all this because I want to ask if Armada works better with two core sets similar to how X-Wing does. If they were full price I wouldn't even consider it but since I can two for the price of one I'm debating it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I like these behind-the-scenes articles. :)

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So my LGS is considering carrying Xwing, as the owner likes it, but the shop is just TCGs right now. I have enough models to run a demo, but I'm still fairly new and don't have a lot, and haven't played in a while. I don't have the new core set, and I was wondering if that would be a problem since there have been changes to the game. Though my main question is, is there anywhere I can get replacement maneuver dials? I seem to have lost 3 of mine(b-wing, tie fighter and tie interceptor) I'd like to replace them, but without having to buy whole new models, since it's just for demos at first.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

John Dyne posted:

So, since Hastings is going out of business, they're marking down all their poo poo massive amounts; the one here in my town is apparently receiving product from a lot of stores in the state, and they have in four copies of Armada's base game at about 60% off retail.

I mention all this because I want to ask if Armada works better with two core sets similar to how X-Wing does. If they were full price I wouldn't even consider it but since I can two for the price of one I'm debating it.

Armada is very similar to X-wing in that the game is better with more ships. Armada is a lot more expensive, though. Even two Armada core sets only give each side 200-ish pts, maybe 300 with squadrons. Tournament games are 400 pts, but if you're just gonna play casual that doesn't matter I guess. If you want to get up to 400 pts and have tournament level stuff you will need to shell out a lot more than you would with X-wing.

The Armada core comes with a Victory Star Destroyer, so if you want an Imperial Star Destroyer (which of course you do) then even two cores won't cut it. I guess there's some rebel ships or something, but I don't even pay attention to that because STAR DESTROYERS

Elblanco posted:

So my LGS is considering carrying Xwing, as the owner likes it, but the shop is just TCGs right now. I have enough models to run a demo, but I'm still fairly new and don't have a lot, and haven't played in a while. I don't have the new core set, and I was wondering if that would be a problem since there have been changes to the game. Though my main question is, is there anywhere I can get replacement maneuver dials? I seem to have lost 3 of mine(b-wing, tie fighter and tie interceptor) I'd like to replace them, but without having to buy whole new models, since it's just for demos at first.

The game has really not changed significantly in terms of game mechanics. If you wanted to demo the game, the original core would be fine. The new core might be slightly more attractive to new blood because of how dreamy Poe Dameron is, though.

Replacement dials? You'll have to contact FFG. They usually are pretty willing to hook people up with replacement components.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
FFG has a support page for lost or damaged components.

They also have a store demo kit, so you don't let others get high off of your supply

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

canyoneer posted:

FFG has a support page for lost or damaged components.

They also have a store demo kit, so you don't let others get high off of your supply

Oh awesome, I'll let the owner know about that, thank you! I also just sent an email to ffg for replacements, lets hope it works. Thanks for all the help guys.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don't be discouraged if the FFG replacements take a while. I am just now getting my replacement colored bases and pegs and I sent the complaint in mid-late July. There were only 3 emails: the complaint received email in July and a pair of parts sent and tracking emails on Friday.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

John Dyne posted:

Unfortunately neither of the fighters on the starter box are really worth spamming but if you like the ships inside, double up. The CR90 is probably more useful than the Neb B(the neb b expansion has some upgrade cards that are needed to make it anything special)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Panzeh posted:

Unfortunately neither of the fighters on the starter box are really worth spamming but if you like the ships inside, double up. The CR90 is probably more useful than the Neb B(the neb b expansion has some upgrade cards that are needed to make it anything special)

Finster Dexter posted:

Armada is very similar to X-wing in that the game is better with more ships. Armada is a lot more expensive, though. Even two Armada core sets only give each side 200-ish pts, maybe 300 with squadrons. Tournament games are 400 pts, but if you're just gonna play casual that doesn't matter I guess. If you want to get up to 400 pts and have tournament level stuff you will need to shell out a lot more than you would with X-wing.

The Armada core comes with a Victory Star Destroyer, so if you want an Imperial Star Destroyer (which of course you do) then even two cores won't cut it. I guess there's some rebel ships or something, but I don't even pay attention to that because STAR DESTROYERS

The X-Wing core sets kinda felt like you got more for your buck as an Imperial player than a Rebel; is that kinda how it is with Armada? I mean yeah Poe and R2 are good, but I feel like I got more towards a complete Imperial experience than Rebel.

I'm mostly playing casual with my brother, and buying most of the sets and expansions for both of us starting with wave 1 and the aces/veterans; he's getting any of the big ships he wants and I'm getting basically everything else for a complete collection, but it really feels like I had to buy more to feel like I could take on just what came in the two starter boxes for him. Like I think I can take him on now and have more fun with it now that I have the Rebel Aces, Y-Wing, and A-Wing expansions.

My biggest concern is will it feel the same for either faction as Armada? Cause gently caress yeah Star Destroyers but the asymmetrical start makes me worry Imperial will feel the same as rebel in Armada.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

It's hard for me to say. I jumped into the deep end on Armada and picked up the core and all the wave 1 stuff. So, I had a pile of stuff right off the bat. That being said, a single Star Destroyer does feel like a complete game to me (as I have run single ship lists as part of a grow league) because of how much complexity is baked into the mechanics of the game. A little bit goes a long way. And the more ponderous Imperial ships have some extra management baked into them by the fact that you have to plan what their actions will be three turns in advance. Armada has a lot going for it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm taking a Partybus + 2x Jumpmasters to a tournament tomorrow. I actually feel bad about it. I feel like that list is just broken bullshit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Geisladisk posted:

I'm taking a Partybus + 2x Jumpmasters to a tournament tomorrow. I actually feel bad about it. I feel like that list is just broken bullshit.

Why? It's actually less bullshit than the original 3x jumpmasters. Lower alpha-strike potential, easier to dodge.

It's stronger against imperial aces, but weaker to most everything else.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

bunnyofdoom posted:

Day 1 of canafian nationals are done. 1at and 2nd are players from my local group. 1 is the guy who swore a blood oath of vengeance on me after I killed his triple jumps with triple x.

So they guy I was talking about mighta been caught cheating?

poo poo, now I'm gonna have to keep an eye on him while gaming. Shame too, he's a decent enough guy....

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Geisladisk posted:

Give zero fucks, I say. Fly that Partybus right down their throats and bask in the challenge coins.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
One of the players at our Nationals was getting pretty handsy with his dials during the activation phase, two squadmates both saw it during their games and went to the judges together. So, for the last round (he was 4-1) one of the judges spent the whole round observing his game. In this game another mate tabled him 100-0 and the guy whined about his dice and OP defenders the whole time lol.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

hoiyes posted:

One of the players at our Nationals was getting pretty handsy with his dials during the activation phase, two squadmates both saw it during their games and went to the judges together. So, for the last round (he was 4-1) one of the judges spent the whole round observing his game. In this game another mate tabled him 100-0 and the guy whined about his dice and OP defenders the whole time lol.

Canadian Nationals?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Brazil.

Edit: oh yeah, in the last game that my mate tabled him, he only lost 1 shield haha.

Edit2: Canadian nationals stream is amazing. Best I've seen. The commentary is fun in an earnest way.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 12, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's an explicit rule about touching dials during the activation phase, and that rule is "announce you're going to touch your dial". The reason for the rule is so your opponent can make sure you aren't changing them.

Cheating or not, doing otherwise is a clear violation of the rules.

Is there cheating going on here? Maybe! Maybe not! We could avoid the whole discussion if touchy-bro just announced he was touching his dials and let his opponent watch to keep him honest.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

ConfusedUs posted:

There's an explicit rule about touching dials during the activation phase, and that rule is "announce you're going to touch your dial". The reason for the rule is so your opponent can make sure you aren't changing them.

Cheating or not, doing otherwise is a clear violation of the rules.

Is there cheating going on here? Maybe! Maybe not! We could avoid the whole discussion if touchy-bro just announced he was touching his dials and let his opponent watch to keep him honest.

Why would you pick up your dial before it is that ships turn to move, unless you are cheating?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

goodness posted:

Why would you pick up your dial before it is that ships turn to move, unless you are cheating?

To double check what maneuver you programmed so you know if you can safely barrel roll or boost?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
To double check what manuver you dialed in especially if you are flying two ships with same ps to make sure you flip them in right order not to bump?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

goodness posted:

You sometimes need to scoot it out of the way, if a ship is maneuvering over the top of it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I usually watch my opponents dials pretty closely, and I don't think dial manipulation is something that has happened to me at regionals around here. If it did, I didn't notice, I guess lol. But I put this guy up there with slidey-templates guy. If you're cheating at a plastic spaceship game wtf is your mental damage

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So they guy I was talking about mighta been caught cheating?

poo poo, now I'm gonna have to keep an eye on him while gaming. Shame too, he's a decent enough guy....

The guy should MOV points just for having that mustache.

Clean shaven or full on Biggs are the only acceptable 'staches.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Some Numbers posted:

To double check what maneuver you programmed so you know if you can safely barrel roll or boost?

That makes sense, I'm still learning!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

The guy should MOV points just for having that mustache.

Clean shaven or full on Biggs are the only acceptable 'staches.

Oh man, it is so much worse in person trust me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

goodness posted:

That makes sense, I'm still learning!

Hey no worries, I actually wasn't too sure about that rule the last time I played, but a neutral party confirmed that it's legal.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
What's the best Manaroo set-up? I might want to pair her with an IG for a tourney.

So far I'm at: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...amed%20Squadron

I did horribly with a double big-ship list the last time I tried it out at a tourney, but it was real easy to set up and dial in I guess. I'm tempted to try a couple of Kihraxzes with vectored thrusters, but I haven't playtested a list with those

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think Manaroo / IG is viable on the same level as Dengaroo.

You just cant push enough damage through with your limited arc and not having Dengars pilot ability. Also not having Zuckus is a huge loss vs Aces/lucky defense rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Wowshawk posted:

What's the best Manaroo set-up? I might want to pair her with an IG for a tourney.

So far I'm at: https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...amed%20Squadron

I did horribly with a double big-ship list the last time I tried it out at a tourney, but it was real easy to set up and dial in I guess. I'm tempted to try a couple of Kihraxzes with vectored thrusters, but I haven't playtested a list with those

RecSpec, Push, Feedback, Engine, Unhined, plus torps if you have spare points.

• Locked thread