Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It would have been OK to get rid of the jack if they had made the phone compatible with Qi. But that would be using a standard they didn't make so that won't happen.

Jesus Christ why doesn't a 700$ phone have the capability to wirelessly charge? Oh that's right; because Apple lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Apple is literally allergic to technology standards, every single thing they use has to be their own proprietary poo poo so they can control and profit from every aspect of every device that works with their technology provide the best experience to the end user

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought the Square reader used Bluetooth and the headphone jack was just a holder for the device but nope that's how it communicates with the device like it's a loving dialup modern

it basically is like a dialup modem which is great because it works with literally any smartphone or tablet or your computer like even one ten years old

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

loquacius posted:

Apple is literally allergic to technology standards, every single thing they use has to be their own proprietary poo poo so they can control and profit from every aspect of every device that works with their technology provide the best experience to the end user

also allergic to paying taxes apparently

remember when they testified in front of congress and said that they don't pay taxes because tax code is complicated and they believe in simplicity of design

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Standard wall plug outlets are an old technology and have been around for a hundred years. I wonder if they are going to get rid of that too.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Replace you wall plugs with Lightning plugs!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

remember when they testified in front of congress and said that they don't pay taxes because tax code is complicated and they believe in simplicity of design

:lol:

the most Apple thing

I'm guessing this means they of course all voted for Herman Cain's simple and effective 9-9-9 tax plan

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

loquacius posted:

the most Apple thing

I'm guessing this means they of course all voted for Herman Cain's simple and effective 9-9-9 tax plan

You can't raise business tax's! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

There's also the recent thing in which the EU called them out for their tax inversion scheme in Ireland.

Ireland is ironically trying to avoid collecting the 15 billion since it wants to stay a low tax Cayman Islands like place for multinational corporations.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

loquacius posted:

the most Apple thing

I believe Tim cook actually offered a retarded threat as well regarding "jobs" being lost if they were forced to pay.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ireland's in the awkward position of having to collect taxes from a company it doesn't want to collect taxes from

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Ireland's in the awkward position of having to collect taxes from a company it doesn't want to collect taxes from

the government is planning to appeal the ruling that gives Ireland $15 billion.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Eames36 posted:

I believe Tim cook actually offered a retarded threat as well regarding "jobs" being lost if they were forced to pay.

It would be sad to see Chinese workers out of a job.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Eames36 posted:

They probably will not leave Ireland because the government will do everything in its power not to tax them.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

Looks like the Technocracy is off to a solid start.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

2DCAT posted:

Apple is okay at integration, but their actual engineering is crap. Their R&D budget is somewhere around 5%, which shows how little they value actual innovation. Most of the good tech they own is stuff that was developed but DARPA, acquired from SRI, or elsewhere. Apple makes their money from good marketing, not good engineering.

Their innovation has mainly been in user interfaces. As I recall, the overall user experience on the iPhone was a legitimate improvement over most other internet-capable phones, especially for people with limited computer literacy (not to mention proving that you don't really need a physical keyboard). Just like the early Macs were, in many ways, legitimately easier to use than DOS of Windows 3.1.

It's just that in both cases, their competition eventually evolved to where their advantage was greatly diminished, and they ended up coasting largely on name recognition.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Where were you fucks four months ago

Moto Z doesn't have a headphone jack
http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z-doesnt-have-headphone-jack

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

a happy snowman posted:

Where were you fucks four months ago

Moto Z doesn't have a headphone jack
http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-z-doesnt-have-headphone-jack

Just lol at comparing Motorola to Apple.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

They probably will not leave Ireland because the government will do everything in its power not to tax them.

Apple already announced they would pay a lot of taxes in the US next year, which means the 15 billion do have to be paid in Ireland, as apparently the ruling said if they pay taxes in another country, these are deducted from the 15 billion Ireland can get. I wonder what other countries will try to get apiece of that cake. Germany refuses to claim a share that would have to be paid here because our politicians are corrupt dick heads who cater only to corporations.

Apple claims that Apple Germany only does marketing. If you buy a product in the Apple Store in Munich, you actually buy from Apple Ireland, so no taxes paid here even though the Store is physically in Germany. And that is legal, I wish I was making this up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mithaldu posted:

It doesn't even matter what for. Extrapolating from a lack of a need on your end to a universal lack of said need is unnecessarily narrow-minded.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Germstore posted:

Oh. It is kind of a borderline case. I assume the existing devices physically block the charging port.

They dont and it's not a borderlone case because the ipads are often used to replace pos terminals

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What even is better about the iPhone 7 anyway, like aren't phones good enough for their intended purpose at this point. Why even bother getting the iPhone 7 if it takes away a useful feature and just stick with the iPhone 6?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

etalian posted:

the government is planning to appeal the ruling that gives Ireland $15 billion.
Surely the whole appeal thing is going to be spun out indefinitely until everyone involved in the original sentence (?) has died, or it fades from the public consciousness and just quietly disappears?

Isn't that how usually these things work? It seems intuitively the bigger the sums and players involved, the less likely it's ever going to actually be enforced?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Justin Tyme posted:

What even is better about the iPhone 7 anyway, like aren't phones good enough for their intended purpose at this point. Why even bother getting the iPhone 7 if it takes away a useful feature and just stick with the iPhone 6? Or just not buy the new iPhone?

Because the battery will age and be a pita to replace and also they're going to stop making os updates for it so you won't be able to run new software

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Justin Tyme posted:

What even is better about the iPhone 7 anyway, like aren't phones good enough for their intended purpose at this point. Why even bother getting the iPhone 7 if it takes away a useful feature and just stick with the iPhone 6?

I might get it because of the awesome camera and waterproofing, and also being faster.

I also already have bluetooth headphones.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Just lol at comparing Motorola to Apple.

Apparently cause it was a piece of poo poo anyway and no one wanted it. Oh boy a 2mm thinner phone just the thing I haven't been asking for.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

a happy snowman posted:

I might get it because of the awesome camera and waterproofing, and also being faster.

I also already have bluetooth headphones.

Oh yeah I forgot about the camera, that seems like a nice feature. Waterproofing doesn't warrant the price tag for me though, I have never in my life killed a phone via submersion.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

It's pretty clever, it means you don't need a battery in it and it will never get pushed off by drunk people swiping.

It's really pretty neat- the thing generates an audio signal that the app reads through the Mic sorta channel on the phone. If you run an audio monitoring program on the phone and just stick the Square reader in there and swipe something with a mag strip you'll see the raw output. First one was literally a magstrip reader hooked up directly to the right points on the TRRS plug and like one resistor and later they added a PCB and an IC chip to do some sorta rudimentary encryption on the signal.

I wonder if they'll still work with the Lightning connector adapter... if it has a Mic In thing built into it I don't see why not as all the Square app requires seems to be an audio signal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just lol if you own a 650$ premium "most advanced smartphone in the world" and it doesn't even include wireless charging.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

wireless charging is dead because it adds .2 mm of z-depth. true story.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Germstore posted:

drat you copper coils! :argh:

Don't worry, when Apple finally makes a iPhone with wireless charging it will be a proprietary format that charges .5% faster and Apple will call it revolutionary.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Germstore posted:

I've literally never in my life held a phone and said "wow this is way too thick, I sure wish they shaved off ports, wireless charging, and battery life to make it thinner" but here we are.

The last phone that they really knocked it out of the park with battery life was the RAZR MAXX HD with its 3300mah battery and that was 5 loving years ago lol. I used to get 3 days of battery on that thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 11, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I've literally never in my life held a phone and said "wow this is way too thick, I sure wish they shaved off ports, wireless charging, and battery life to make it thinner" but here we are.

The last phone that they really knocked it out of the park with battery life was the RAZR MAXX HD with its ~4000mah battery and that was 5 loving years ago lol. I used to get 3 days of battery on that poo poo.

Yeah, I want a company to go "You know what? gently caress making it slimmer, we made it 1mm thicker and gave you a crazy amount of battery life."

I had to put a case on my Note5 because it was too thin.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah, I want a company to go "You know what? gently caress making it slimmer, we made it 1mm thicker and gave you a crazy amount of battery life."

Also the fact that this is an actual Apple accessory is so loving funny; Steve Jobs would have decapitated whoever created this on live TV:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

On like any phone with a removable battery you can get kits to extend it yourself and put a bigger battery in there, it's great

Yeah I loved the MAXX series of phone from Motorola

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i bet steve jobs would have come up with another cool device by now, and instead since he died we've just got a bunch of dudes continually loving around with no rhyme or reason and also the apple watch

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Durzel posted:

Surely the whole appeal thing is going to be spun out indefinitely until everyone involved in the original sentence (?) has died, or it fades from the public consciousness and just quietly disappears?

Isn't that how usually these things work? It seems intuitively the bigger the sums and players involved, the less likely it's ever going to actually be enforced?

Yes it basically allows Ireland to run out the clock, at least being a tax haven for a few more years while the appeals process goes through in the EU judical system.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

The big joke is that we're nearing the end of Moore's Law, where the number of transistors you can fit on a semiconductor chip doubles every 18 months, you can only get so much out of that. It's feature width, the size of an single transistor, has slowed from 22nm in 2012 to 14nm and is believed to be at the 10nm level by 2017. Eventually, Moore's law is going to bottleneck and, suddenly, bigger is better because that CPU isn't going to shrink 2-3 years.

I think the next big thing is really going to be flexible OLED, which may be hitting the market as early as next year. A lot of product demos have been made, but I'm guessing that getting that stuff down to a mass-production level is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

when are we gonna have those super thin transparent screens that they have in sci fi movies?

• Locked thread