Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Really lovely miku song too like god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really like that Miku remix!!! Also there's dancing Adachi which is nice/cute.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Early Persona 5 copies surfacing in Taiwan. Everyone into the bunkers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Chexoid posted:

Early Persona 5 copies surfacing in Taiwan. Everyone into the bunkers.

n...no...

my internet life as I know it is now...over.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Nanako dies at the end

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Legit hope someone from P4 shows up in a cameo role in P5 like the P3 -> P4 transition.

Just hope it isn't someone as oppressively lame and boring as Chihiro. Or Yosuke, The Worst Dude Ever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

P5 takes place in 20XX so either they're not gonna do that or they're gonna have it be a huge surprise or twist or whatever

If any P3 characters show up I will loving riot

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Btw anyone knows if Yosuke/Josuke are written the same in Japanese and it's just a translation thing?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Hefe posted:

Btw anyone knows if Yosuke/Josuke are written the same in Japanese and it's just a translation thing?

The first character in Yosuke is 陽, which doesn't have any readings like jou.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrAristocrates posted:

P5 takes place in 20XX so either they're not gonna do that or they're gonna have it be a huge surprise or twist or whatever

If any P3 characters show up I will loving riot

20XX? Do you mean, like, a vague undefined time period or a specific but mysterious time within this century? Because the characters use touch screen cell phones over the flip phones in P4, so it stands to reason it's after P4 but not significantly so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toxxupation posted:

20XX? Do you mean, like, a vague undefined time period or a specific but mysterious time within this century? Because the characters use touch screen cell phones over the flip phones in P4, so it stands to reason it's after P4 but not significantly so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Hefe posted:

Are you talking about Josuke from JoJo? Because Josuke isn't really a real Japanese name. It's more a lame kanji pun - the 'suke' in his name can also be read as Jo, hence he's 'JoJo'. Basically, Araki took a name that actually exists (Yosuke) and corrupted it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ten years after Big Shell.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Strange Quark posted:

The first character in Yosuke is 陽, which doesn't have any readings like jou.

Abaj?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

20XX pretty much just means it's set right about now but they're not locking down the time period for one reason or another.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Toxxupation posted:

It's set in the same world as Mega Man X.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It actually takes place in 2001, you'll never guess what the last dungeon is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, then, it has to be set after P4 and a fair length of time (considering the modernization of tech displayed) but, again, not significantly so. Like, the longest length of time I could see would be Nanako in her late teens.

Considering how P4 is quite literally a franchise unto itself at this point and how, again, P4 did the whole "bring the previous game's characters back in a cameo role" thing first, I see no reason why Atlus wouldn't do the same thing here. I mean, for gently caress's sake they spent all that time redrawing all the P4 characters in high-def for a dancing game, and we all know how much the company absolutely loves to repurpose tech and assets.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The cameo's gonna end up being Naoto and I'm gonna groan

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Naoto rules and is the one true waifu so fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Endorph posted:

Are you talking about Josuke from JoJo? Because Josuke isn't really a real Japanese name. It's more a lame kanji pun - the 'suke' in his name can also be read as Jo, hence he's 'JoJo'. Basically, Araki took a name that actually exists (Yosuke) and corrupted it.

Oh I see, yeah that's why I'm asking, thanks guys.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

beep boop i am an exposition robot

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Your opinions are effing terrible MrA. Effing. Terrible.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Toxxupation posted:

Considering how P4 is quite literally a franchise unto itself at this point and how, again, P4 did the whole "bring the previous game's characters back in a cameo role" thing first,

uh

Persona 2 came out in 1999, dude.

It's a good game, you should play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Literally every Persona game after the first contains cameos and references to the previous games, so the "I'm going to be SO UPSET if they dare to reference Persona 3/4" stuff is weird. They're going to do it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
As long as the cameo is Chie's OG voice actor, I'm good

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MarsDragon posted:

uh

also p3 had the p2 cast show up one-by-one on one of the tv shows

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not actually going to riot I just don't care about the P3 cast, especially because odds are it'd be Mitsuru who'd show up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i hope naoto and mitsuru both show up

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

MrAristocrates posted:

The cameo's gonna end up being Naoto and I'm gonna groan

Given the themes of the game, if any Persona 4 character was going to make a cameo, Naoto would make the most sense.

Maybe she'll show up in Goro's social link as a cameo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MarsDragon posted:

uh

I tried P1 and hated it, so I've never been inclined to pick up either part of P2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm fine with P3/P4 references, since that's a staple, but I hope it's just a throwaway thing like P4/P3's references, and not a major plotpoint like P2's connections to P1.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
when you're at your lowest point in the story and everything is hopeless, Older Maiko shows up and buys you takoyaki.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Persona 5 will actually tie into IMAGINE by allowing Cu Chulainn to carry you around

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, I'd be fine with extended P4 references in P5 because the characters within P4 are just so goddamn well-rounded and layered in a way that most other JRPG characters aren't that they're a benefit to any situation they're placed. It's why they worked in two different fighting games and a rhythm game and an Etrian Odyssey-style dungeon crawler; they're such strongly realized characters that you can drop them into anything and they work.

In contrast although it was kinda cool seeing Chihiro and Gekkoukan again in the sense that "Oh hey it's the character from that video game I played" I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit to see her because she's kinda dull and flat like basically everyone in P3 besides Junpei, especially in comparison to the P4 squad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I wish we could fast-forward through p5 and get to the spin-offs already

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Atlus, where's my gaiden starring buddy cops Akihiro and Chie?

Chief Katsuya Suou: "Chie! You're a loose cannon!"

Edit: The genre is a Portopia style text adventure.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 11, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, then, it has to be set after P4 and a fair length of time (considering the modernization of tech displayed) but, again, not significantly so. Like, the longest length of time I could see would be Nanako in her late teens.

All years through 2050 with Saturday April 23rd since Persona 4:

Saturday, April 23, 2016
Saturday, April 23, 2022
Saturday, April 23, 2033
Saturday, April 23, 2039
Saturday, April 23, 2044
Saturday, April 23, 2050

I could see 2022 since Persona 3&4 were set a decent amount of time into the near future. I'm sure a dedicated player will have the information for sure before long. The whole XX thing could also mean the same characters and not an ambiguous thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, I'd be fine with extended P4 references in P5 because the characters within P4 are just so goddamn well-rounded and layered in a way that most other JRPG characters aren't that they're a benefit to any situation they're placed. It's why they worked in two different fighting games and a rhythm game and an Etrian Odyssey-style dungeon crawler; they're such strongly realized characters that you can drop them into anything and they work.
that's a weird thing to say when the spinoffs pretty much removed all their nuance and made them into memes

and tbh a lot of the p4 cast suffers for yu. They have interesting hooks or angles but they all have to drop that to defer to the player self-insert. Something like Tales has generally better character writing because the characters are always themselves, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Persona 4 : Persona 5