Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Grevlek posted:

I did test it after removing that part. It didn't work. I noticed that it looks like the board got pushed in or something, and I've updated that link with some more pictures. The board doesn't feel loose but I didn't really put any pressure on the weakened board.

I'm seeing what appears to be a decent size crack on the rear of the board below the battery. Am I right? If so that's a pretty big deal, you probably have multiple bad traces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Monitor Burn posted:

Edit: actually looking at the new pictures, it looks like there are broken traces on the board due to it being flexed and cracked in several places.

I did this, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be when I read it. It did not work. I did another game for fun and it did work.

^^^

Yeah that's what I'm thinking to. I noticed they sell repro circuit boards, is it reasonable to think one could unmount the chips and other pieces and get them put on a repro board?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Grevlek posted:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking to. I noticed they sell repro circuit boards, is it reasonable to think one could unmount the chips and other pieces and get them put on a repro board?

Don't bother with a repro board if you're doing that, import a cheap japanese game with the same PCB and swap the maskroms over.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you absolutely gotta have a less-ugly version of OoT, get the 3DS version. It's superior to the original in every way, save maybe unless you want to do framerate-dependent bug-exploiting speedruns or something.

OoT 3D really rekindled my love of the game and Master Quest was everything I wanted (I wish it was unlockable before beating the game, though). I'm tentatively looking forward to playing Majora's Mask 3DS because the N64 version really soured me on that game. All it took was a solid framerate and not-garbage UI.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So it looks like I can get the same PCB stateside, and its a sports game so I'll be hunting the pawnshops for NBA Live 96.

I'm guessing I just have to swap a couple of the chips over, hoping that a couple of the native chips can stay on the NBA donor board.

If this works, do I have to put an asterisk next to this game in my collection, or for all intents and purposes is it still the original game?

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
The Columbus Gaming Expo was pretty fun. Always nice to play a free game of DDR Extreme and shop for retro games.

I forgot the Euro 32X games come with frozen dinner trays:

Copy of Sonic & Kunckles I picked up has some way past cool merch:

Ditto for Virtua Racing. Check out the sick competitor for the Apple Watch, and that denim jacket

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

al-azad posted:

Now you can play it again as a remade Assault Suit Leynos on PS4/PC!

The copy sitting next to me is partly why I decided to finally push through and beat the original!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.

The 3DS's 3d gets extremely bad ghosting issues in dark scenes/areas so I imagine an entire game of red on black would probably not look fantastic.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 11, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No one has nostalgia for the Virtual Boy. Anyone that claims that they do needs to be reported to the authorities.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

the virtual boy is cool

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

absolutely anything posted:

the virtual boy is cool

Sure, if you're a sleeper agent for ISIS.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Star Man posted:

No one has nostalgia for the Virtual Boy. Anyone that claims that they do needs to be reported to the authorities.

Eh, I remember being a fan of Mario Tennis when I was a kid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

the virtual boy is cool

Not if you put it in the oven to repair the screen.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Not if you put it in the oven to repair the screen.

i need to do that or send it off to someone who can permanently fix it, i guess mine got jostled too hard while i was moving recently and the right display is messed up

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Vertical force is fun

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

RZA Encryption posted:

The local retrogames meetup group closed recently, and I was thinking about starting a new one, but with a twist. It would be specifically a handheld gaming meetup. I figured it would be better since there would be less equipment to haul and you could meet in parks instead of people's houses. I really don't want some of those people in my apartment.

Does this sound like a good idea, and if so what games would be good? Def. MKDS, but I was thinking also the handheld Mario Parties. Multiboot games would be great, so not everyone needs the game.

Pokémon.

DS games:
Bomberman DS is 8 player single card.

Namco Museum DS has Pac-Man Vs.

Mr. Driller DS Euro or Japan has wireless single card multiplayer.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Tingle's Balloon Fight

Metroid Prime Pinball

Tetris DS

Space Invaders Extreme

Meteos

Pokémon Trozei

Kirby Superstar Ultra

New Super Mario Bros. / Super Mario 64 DS

Clubhouse Games

GBA games:
WarioWare has single system two player minigames; the only other GBA cart I know of that does this controller-split style multiplayer is Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Chu Chu Rocket! Unsure if it has single cart, though I don't see why it wouldn't.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords.

Any of the Mario Advance games for Mario Bros.

Game & Watch Gallery 4

Konami Arcade Advanced (finally, 2-player VS. Yie-Ar Kung Fu!)

GB:
Faceball 2000
F-1 Race
Penguin Wars
Tetris
Wave Race

PSP:
Street FIghter Alpha 3 MAX
Darkstalkers Chronicle (though the loading times are apparently pretty bad)
Power Stone Collection
Doubtless a bunch of games I've never heard about

Neo Geo Pocket Color:
SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
Gals' Fighter :retrogames:

Other:
????

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.

The only thing I can think of is the n3ds isn't even powerful enough. I tried Retroarch on my n3ds and Virtual Boy ran at like 20 fps.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Grevlek posted:

So it looks like I can get the same PCB stateside, and its a sports game so I'll be hunting the pawnshops for NBA Live 96.

I'm guessing I just have to swap a couple of the chips over, hoping that a couple of the native chips can stay on the NBA donor board.

If this works, do I have to put an asterisk next to this game in my collection, or for all intents and purposes is it still the original game?

As long as NBA Live 96 has the same amount of SRAM you only need to swap the two maskrom chips. And from a collection perspective, I wouldn't look at it any different than changing a battery. As long as it's the same PCB, and the chips are moved over with no damage, who really cares?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

-most VB games are trash

-there's no way to acknowledge the VB in an earnest way that won't be met with derision

-red dots on a black background (or any other high-contrast colour combo) plays havoc with the 3DS' autostereoscopic display and there's no way to make it look nice short of redrawing everything with a full palette, and they're not going to go to all that work to remaster a VB game when they won't even 3D-remaster games they know people will buy

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Grevlek posted:

I think I have this, I bought a shitload of snes sports games for .50 each and was just going through them today. Was going to sanity check donor purposes before doing so, such as if any had special chips. If I have it pm me your address and I'll toss it your way.

Edit: Yep

https://i.imgur.com/gallery/MvElf.jpg

falz fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 12, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Star Man posted:

there are actually a bunch of good VB games and it's pretty fun/novel thing to use. have you ever used one?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

d0s posted:

there are actually a bunch of good VB games and it's pretty fun/novel thing to use. have you ever used one?

I have.

It gave me a splitting headache in about three minutes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, the only reason to have VB on the 3DS would be to make stuff like Jack Bros and Wario Land VB playable on a system that doesn't burn your eyes out of your skull.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The best VB game is Bound High and it never even came out.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

xamphear posted:

So, who here has experience with romhacks on repro carts? I've got myself into a weird situation where the game almost works. I'm still messing around, but if anyone knows what's happening I'd appreciate any and all help.

Here's what the cart does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjuRjE43tiU
As you can see the logo at the start shows up, the music plays fine, the text at the bottom appears... but all of the graphics are garbled and it eventually reboots.
Not that anyone cares, but with some help I got from a knowledgeable guy over on nesdev, I managed to determine the problem was... The crappy off-brand kynar I was using, causing noise across the address lines. I redid the wiring and now I've got a socketed Super FX flash cart. First up is what I originally wanted, playing the SMW2+2 Yoshi's Island romhack.

If I ignore the programmer and other supplies, the cost is $9 for the JPN SMW2 cart and $3 for the EPROM.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 12, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For all your best Virtual Boy game needs: http://www.sydlexia.com/top100vb.htm

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

As long as NBA Live 96 has the same amount of SRAM you only need to swap the two maskrom chips. And from a collection perspective, I wouldn't look at it any different than changing a battery. As long as it's the same PCB, and the chips are moved over with no damage, who really cares?

Awesome, that's how I feel about it too but I don't know if people are going to be nit picky. I'm going to practice up on some sports games swapping those back and forth, but just to confirm the two maskroms are the chips on the lower right next to the C2 and C3 in the link below?

http://www.snescentral.com/pcbboards.php?chip=SHVC-2A3M-20

falz posted:

I think I have this, I bought a shitload of snes sports games for .50 each and was just going through them today. Was going to sanity check donor purposes before doing so, such as if any had special chips. If I have it pm me your address and I'll toss it your way.

Edit: Yep

https://i.imgur.com/gallery/MvElf.jpg

PM sent. Gotta love the boxes full of old sports games I try and buy them too figuring they have to come in handy someday.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Prism posted:

I have.

It gave me a splitting headache in about three minutes.

ok admittedly I have a really weirdly high tolerance for stuff like that, I don't think I've ever had any kind of game give me a physical effect like headaches, motion sickness, etc. I'm able to look in a virtual boy and be like "oh cool" and play for hours and never need a break or anything, which I get is not normal

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

d0s posted:

ok admittedly I have a really weirdly high tolerance for stuff like that, I don't think I've ever had any kind of game give me a physical effect like headaches, motion sickness, etc. I'm able to look in a virtual boy and be like "oh cool" and play for hours and never need a break or anything, which I get is not normal

I honestly think it's my glasses, because my eyes have vastly different prescriptions (including for astigmatism). 3D glasses can give me a headache too and I can't find any clear and comfortable position to use the 3DS' 3D functionality.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Yes, they're the chips marked "U1 P0" and "U2 P1". What kind of equipment do you have? Be advised that swapping not one but two through hole chips like this is a nightmare without decent equipment. I have experience working with these types of boards and can say that they aren't impossible to do with just a solder sucker, but it is really tedious. If you know anyone who has access to a vacuum station you can make short work of it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Prism posted:

I honestly think it's my glasses, because my eyes have vastly different prescriptions (including for astigmatism). 3D glasses can give me a headache too and I can't find any clear and comfortable position to use the 3DS' 3D functionality.

I wear glasses for seriously bad astigmatism too but its roughly equal in both eyes so that may be it

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

d0s posted:

I don't think I've ever seen one up close.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I have, but i'm not paying $150 for one and Mario's Tennis.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
A flea market near my parents place had a VBoy for years but I only realized what it was and how much I wanted one waaay after they sold it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I remember being the one idiot kid who rushed to the Toys R Us aisle to play their VB model. I've never had a (physically) painful experience playing video games except for that one Bit Trip pong game which tripped me out and an early 90s 3D headset for Master System or Genesis, can't remember which.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
One of my friends in 5th grade had one and she brought it in one day and I got to play a little bit of Mario Tennis and it was neat.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was also one of the weird kids kind of obsessed with the VB, rented one from blockbuster a few times/did the TRU demo thing a lot when it was actually out but didn't own one until I ended up buying a friends' for $40 in the early 00's

e: as cool as I think it is I definitely don't think it's worth $100+

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

falz posted:

I think I have this, I bought a shitload of snes sports games for .50 each and was just going through them today. Was going to sanity check donor purposes before doing so, such as if any had special chips.

I'd be interested in sending you a few bucks for a donor shell for a Wild Trax/Stunt Race FX board if you have one. It would just need to fit a full-sized game board (with all 3 contact sections) and have one or more metal ground clips.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean, when you think about it, the wii-u doesn't support N64 carts, and the Xbox one doesn't play Windows 98 games, that's the same level of generational jump

Much of the psx capital lectionaries is up for psp and Vita though if that's your thing

The Xbox One could be set up to play Windows 98 games, if Microsoft was willing to allow just any programs to run on it, the OS it's running these days is very close to regular Windows 10 but with fancy overlay stuff going on and the hardware is perfectly x86 compatible stuff. It'd require some extra patches to the OS or whatever but in principle it'd be very easy and they might very well start selling collections of older Microsoft-published Windows titles on it some day. (For that matter, the Xbox One could certainly handle emulation of original Xbox titles much better than the 360 did, but who knows when that'll ever get done).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Pokémon.

DS games:
Bomberman DS is 8 player single card.

Namco Museum DS has Pac-Man Vs.

Mr. Driller DS Euro or Japan has wireless single card multiplayer.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Tingle's Balloon Fight

Metroid Prime Pinball

Tetris DS

Space Invaders Extreme

Meteos

Pokémon Trozei

Kirby Superstar Ultra

New Super Mario Bros. / Super Mario 64 DS

Clubhouse Games

GBA games:
WarioWare has single system two player minigames; the only other GBA cart I know of that does this controller-split style multiplayer is Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.

Chu Chu Rocket! Unsure if it has single cart, though I don't see why it wouldn't.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords.

Any of the Mario Advance games for Mario Bros.

Game & Watch Gallery 4

Konami Arcade Advanced (finally, 2-player VS. Yie-Ar Kung Fu!)

GB:
Faceball 2000
F-1 Race
Penguin Wars
Tetris
Wave Race

PSP:
Street FIghter Alpha 3 MAX
Darkstalkers Chronicle (though the loading times are apparently pretty bad)
Power Stone Collection
Doubtless a bunch of games I've never heard about

Neo Geo Pocket Color:
SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium
Gals' Fighter :retrogames:

Other:
????

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking I might make some cheap shirts that say things like "I want to play Tetris with you" to handle the "matchmaking".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Don't forget Mario Party DS for download play.

• Locked thread