Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
i bet cm punk feels really bad this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
He's continuing his dream regardless of the loss. I'm sorry all of you other losers have dreams that are so small.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He has enough money to keep training at Roufusport regardless of a UFC contract and would likely want to work amateur fights as long as he felt like he was having his own version of fun. Even if he ended up getting hit in the face like he did last night a few times a year he would still walk away with less brain damage than if he continued working for Vince.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

-Atom- posted:

also skill.

Yeah, Brock is a really good wrestler as well as being a roided up freak.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Al-Saqr posted:

Agh, poor punk, the problem is that he started training way late in life for the UFC and that he isn't a monstrous wall of muscle the same way Brock Lesnar is.

Brock was also an all-american freestyle wrestler.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Perdido posted:

I don't have enough money to get WWE to sue me, so no youtube of my rear end.

I'm guessing, like someone else said, TUF for him or he fucks off to New Japan.

Stop making excuses and post the vid.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

Brock was also an all-american freestyle wrestler.

Folkstyle. Specifically, he was an NCAA champion one year after being #2 in the country the year before.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

In the end, Punk on PPV was a sound business decision. UFC gets a guy heated up(Gall) for higher profile fights at a fraction of what they're paying Punk.

If Punk wants to fight again, that's cool. I'll laugh when he gets dropped horribly again and cheer when he finally beats a dude.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

In the end, Punk on PPV was a sound business decision. UFC gets a guy heated up(Gall) for higher profile fights at a fraction of what they're paying Punk.

Yeah. I get why a guy like Filthy Tom is pissed that a totally unqualified guy can walk into the UFC based purely on celebrity value and being friends with Dana, but there is value to a freakshow fight once in a while and hopefully it helps launch Gall's career. He absolutely shouldn't fight for them again based on that showing but once is defensible.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Thauros posted:

Yeah. I get why a guy like Filthy Tom is pissed that a totally unqualified guy can walk into the UFC based purely on celebrity value and being friends with Dana, but there is value to a freakshow fight once in a while and hopefully it helps launch Gall's career. He absolutely shouldn't fight for them again based on that showing but once is defensible.

I agree with this entirely. Gall might be a legit prospect and having him go out and crush Punk gets him the notoriety and name recognition. Now we see if Gall can capitalize on the chance. Calling out Northcutt was a good idea, but I don't know if Dana makes that fight. I really hope he does.

e: Whoops I should read the internet before I post! Gall vs Northcutt is happening.
https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/774907427665969152

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

After Gall's promo, Dana would have been dumb not to.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

fatherdog posted:

People are gonna be anyway, though

The weird thing is it seems like wrestling fans are the ones who're more mad post-fight while it the general mma fan reaction has been "gently caress he sucked but hell he loving did it"

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The weird thing is it seems like wrestling fans are the ones who're more mad post-fight while it the general mma fan reaction has been "gently caress he sucked but hell he loving did it"

Even before the fight it seemed like the people who were most invested in him failing were the ones who watched his pro wrestling career

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Sage's camp wants the fight so it looks like UFC is trying to make it happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Because actually getting in there and fighting takes balls that 99% of people on the planet do not have. Brooks got his rear end whooped exactly like everyone expected, but he still had enough sack to go out there and loving do it. He got his rear end beat and knew that it was likely to happen going in, but he still stood in there and loving went for it. That's commendable.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because actually getting in there and fighting takes balls that 99% of people on the planet do not have. Brooks got his rear end whooped exactly like everyone expected, but he still had enough sack to go out there and loving do it. He got his rear end beat and knew that it was likely to happen going in, but he still stood in there and loving went for it. That's commendable.

gently caress yeah it is, my favorite wrestler of all time got his poo poo knocked in but goddamn he did it

And if you want to talk about what UFC gets from this I have watched more UFC after December 6th, 2014 than I ever did before and I'm going to continue watching it casually

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgHsEJhdGAY

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
CM Punk is really tough honestly, his training partners werent lying about that. He lasted way longer than he shouldve

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

:aaa:

what page is the fight on in the ufc gdt?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

manyak posted:

CM Punk is really tough honestly, his training partners werent lying about that. He lasted way longer than he shouldve

Yeah TBH once he started getting jacked up I expected him to immediately tap to strikes, but he hung in there and made Gall work for it at least.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm kinda disappointed Punk took as much punishment as he did when I remember James Toney getting taken out without even getting hit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

agreed.

also of note, internet fight writer jack slack says punk has only a year of 'serious training', which honestly is more in line with what i saw.

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me
I was quite touched by Punk's postfight press conference if it doesn't make me too much of a [color=pink]~gay homosexual~[/color] to say so. He reminded me a bit of the lady from the fourth segment of Somehow, Satan got behind me. I wonder if it wasn't acutally better for him to have lost -- perhaps it would be in keeping with the theme of the day to crack open the Upanishads and try to find if they have anything interesting to say about tragedy.

also lol

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

manyak posted:

I was impressed by his composure and defense for sure.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

agreed.

also of note, internet fight writer jack slack says punk has only a year of 'serious training', which honestly is more in line with what i saw.

Considering he's had surgery, that's probably legit with recovery time.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

manyak posted:

Yeah he could've hit eject way way sooner than he did, particularly as a veteran concussion-haver. he actually endured some backmount + getting whaled in the temples by fierce gnp

cams
Mar 28, 2003

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yeah he could've hit eject way way sooner than he did, particularly as a veteran concussion-haver. he actually endured some backmount + getting whaled in the temples by fierce gnp
seriouspost it was very hard for me to watch punk take that ground and pound, cause it was brutal. he weathered it but i was happy when gall took his back and got the sub.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

manyak posted:

yeah

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I think ultimately Punk looked like a fighter who was fighting a guy way better than him, as opposed to a celebrity fighting a fighter.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Basically Punk looked like an overmatched mma fighter and not some old dude getting embarrassed for money like a lot of people expected

edit: ^^ he said it better

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Whats his prospects like on the z-leagues? Is he likely to get favorable fights or would the local promoters be looking to put him up against potential prospects?

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I know I am one of the dreaded wrestling fans, and I will forever miss CM Punk the pro-graps talky man/amazing storyteller, but I'm happy the dude got in the cage and gave it his best shot, even if he did get pretty thoroughly trounced. Kudos to the guy. Shame about that inflated ear, though.

And hey, this got me to actually watch most of a UFC card for the first time in my life, and I didn't hate it! I enjoyed when known shithead Travis Browne got kicked in the face really hard. Also Overeem running away like a startled 'roid roach was fun to watch.

Peace, MMA dudes. :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Alan Moore's not going to wade in while he's writing and kick gently caress out of him for substandard Drax comics.
alan moore could probably tap cm punk

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

DannoMack posted:

Basically Punk looked like an overmatched mma fighter and not some old dude getting embarrassed for money like a lot of people expected

edit: ^^ he said it better

is there a video of an old dude getting embarrassed so i could compare that to Punk's outing

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
i don't think we're allowed to post homegrown on the forums anymore

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Whats his prospects like on the z-leagues? Is he likely to get favorable fights or would the local promoters be looking to put him up against potential prospects?

I imagine it'd have been like Batista's MMA fight where he was made to look silly by a confused fat man for a round before being declared the winner.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Brock Lesnar posted:

is there a video of an old dude getting embarrassed so i could compare that to Punk's outing

http://www.myvideo.ge/v/872987

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Brock Lesnar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFwtuInlMew

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Brock Lesnar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlfmN1hPj5Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Brock Lesnar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd7M4H0b62k

• Locked thread