Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i am also a superhuman that is immune to the virtual boy's death rays so i just get to play some fun games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Was there a goon that used to offer FreeMcBoot Memory Cards on SA Mart?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Was there a goon that used to offer FreeMcBoot Memory Cards on SA Mart?

Yes, they got banned.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Made a US cart shell for my SD2SNES and installed light tubes for the power and data LED's. Haven't decided if I want to change the label yet.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Framemeister providing the most expensive photobomb ever

Also, I played a Virtual Boy earlier this year at Magfest, and I think it'd be fun to own one, but I'm not going out of my way to do it / not going to spend much.

Hopefully someday there's a VR-based [Vive, Occulus, whatever] emulator for it. I think it's a neat idea anyway.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Monitor Burn posted:

Haven't decided if I want to change the label yet.

Understandable, given the current one.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you have a 3dtv you can do virtual boy on it through mednafen

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I bought my Virtual Boy back in early '97, around the same time I bought a copy of Wave Race 64. The store had them on clearance for about $25 and games ranging from $3 to $5 each. I'd probably be more down on the thing if I had bought it at launch or if I bought it at whatever ridiculous price it sells for these days. Wario Land rules.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe VB emulation will take off on Oculus Rift and its kin.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Chalk me up as one of those people who also love the Virtual Boy.

The graphics are very crisp in their own unique way; no pixelation anywhere. The sound is INCREDIBLE. The speakers are ridiculously loud and the audio quality is very high. The controller is incredibly comfortable. And I love drat near 75% of the games for it (which isn't saying much considering it has like 15 titles). I actually have 4 of them. I don't remember how I got 2 of them; I think I bought them on eBay eons ago with the intent to fix them but as good as I am with soldering, the job required to permanently fix the LEDs is beyond ridiculous. I had a guy at the VB forums do the permanent fix to two of the units because the baking trick only lasts a few months. At least I never have to worry again. Out of the 4 system I have, only 2 have stands, and only 1 has the eye shade thing.

Anyway long live the Virtual Boy.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The sound is INCREDIBLE

yeah there really is something about the VB sound, it's really clear but also raw sounding, hard to explain but awesome

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Monitor Burn posted:

Haven't decided if I want to change the label yet.

Leave it. It's the perfect metaphor for someone that has such a thing.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, the Virtual Boy sounds real rad and I kinda wish there were more games for it solely so there'd be more music

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

All I know about VB audio is that on one particularly hosed computer, my VB emulator was the only thing that would actually output sound. :iiam:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Star Man posted:

Leave it. It's the perfect metaphor for someone that has such a thing.

Well now I wish I had given Kevin Mccallister red and green LEDs for eyes instead.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kthulhu5000 posted:

So I've been thinking of getting into some Twitch streaming / video capture, mainly for shits and giggles. So I got a capture device to start messing around with and exploring those particular areas.

This one, to be exact:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181381949177

No, that price isn't wrong; it was less than $5 for me to acquire, shipped from China. So how well does a $5 USB capture device actually capture video?

Not too bad at all, considering the price. Those two images are from Super Street Fighter II, played through my Everdrive on a S-Video modded SNES Mini (through S-Video of course), and captured through Virtualdub with H264 compression. I then "snapshotted" the images from the output video file in Media Player Classic at 100%. It also works with the Open Broadcaster Software client for Twitch, so yeah. Totally the wrong way to go about this sort of thing, but gently caress it - for $5, it's quite satisfactory.

Thanks for the heads up. I always wanted to dip my toe in those waters and for 5 bucks can't go wrong

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

The local retrogames meetup group closed recently, and I was thinking about starting a new one, but with a twist. It would be specifically a handheld gaming meetup. I figured it would be better since there would be less equipment to haul and you could meet in parks instead of people's houses. I really don't want some of those people in my apartment.

Does this sound like a good idea, and if so what games would be good? Def. MKDS, but I was thinking also the handheld Mario Parties. Multiboot games would be great, so not everyone needs the game.

Lynx! Lynx has great multiplayer: 4-player Rampage, Gauntlet, California Games, Xenophobe, Super Off-Road, Todd's Adventures In Slime World.

It's a shame Lynx never caught on more because it's a neat little system.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Oculus-compatible VB emulator exists: https://github.com/braindx/vbjin-ovr

It can optionally use head tracking so you can look around like it's a virtual screen in front of you.

I haven't found a way for it to work with my Oculus headphones though, seems to always want to output to my default speakers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Discount Viscount posted:

Chu Chu Rocket! Unsure if it has single cart, though I don't see why it wouldn't.

It definitely has single cart mode, though it can be more fun in multiple cart mode as then you can trade custom maps to each other.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yes, they got banned.

Banned for selling them? Is that an issue?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Banned for selling them? Is that an issue?

Banned for taking people's money and not delivering stuff, memory cards being only a part of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Was that the same person who did the holiday gift events or was that someone else who got banned for not sending stuff?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
The Virtual Boy might have the best library among consoles that were outright failures (and not just underdogs like the Saturn or the NGPC). There's nothing I'd call truly brilliant, but most of the VB lineup is solid stuff with only one or two irredeemable games.

That said, it's not hard to see why the Virtual Boy flopped. Nintendo had demo units in Best Buys, Wal-Marts, and Toys R Uses across the country, and a lot of people who tried it were repulsed or just not interested.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

The Virtual Boy might have the best library among consoles that were outright failures

that's a good way to put it, like most consoles that are widely shitted on I can honestly kind of see why when I look at the library but the VB seems almost entirely down to the fact that it was just a really weird piece of hardware and the sort of idiotic hype around it where it was built up to being a true VR experience at home, so anyone looking into it and seeing glowing red 2D sprite based games would probably think it's an outright scam and not even think about it anymore. this thing was released during a time when people were massively excited over 3D polygon based games and everyone thought "real" VR was coming any day now. in 1995 it was not hard to imagine that Sony or Sega would naturally release a VR headset for their insanely hot new 3D systems, so why bother with the weird toy?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I played some Virtual Boy stuff in an emulator awhile back that let you play it as straight 2D in any color of your choice. it kind of ruled. The graphics end up looking kind of similar to the Dot Matrix Display you see on Pinball machines, where it's kind of one color at different brightnesses and it's pretty sweet.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
So SegaAge actually worked out surprisingly. A couple posters were giving me poo poo for not having any posts in their forums (and I didn't care to respond) but some random girl saw my post when looking for a cool gift for her brother and shot me an email. They turned out to be local! Sold the X'Eye for $800 and obviously didn't even have to pay for shipping.

WHEW

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

There was a good article last year about the development and release of the Virtual Boy, it's real interesting https://www.fastcompany.com/3050016/unraveling-the-enigma-of-nintendos-virtual-boy-20-years-later

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Clearly the concept was sound, the 3ds is popular and is essentially a very advanced version of what the VB was trying to do

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

So SegaAge actually worked out surprisingly. A couple posters were giving me poo poo for not having any posts in their forums (and I didn't care to respond) but some random girl saw my post when looking for a cool gift for her brother and shot me an email. They turned out to be local! Sold the X'Eye for $800 and obviously didn't even have to pay for shipping.

WHEW

Wow, I love my siblings, but I would have to be a lot more well off to drop $800 on one, like a paid off house and college fund(s) for my kid(s) already financed.

Anyways glad you got that sold and hope you weren't evicted during the wait.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

absolutely anything posted:

There was a good article last year about the development and release of the Virtual Boy, it's real interesting https://www.fastcompany.com/3050016/unraveling-the-enigma-of-nintendos-virtual-boy-20-years-later

This is very interesting. Thank you for sharing it.

It's funny to read that back in the early 90s, Yokoi didn't like LCD because they couldn't do absolute black levels and LED could. And here we are today and that's still the case, with color LED finally making their way to gigantic televisions!

And only in Japan could the ceo falling asleep during a presentation be considered a good thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And only in Japan could the ceo falling asleep during a presentation be considered a good thing.

Yamauchi apparently had a habit of falling asleep in meetings.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tales of Phantasia (GBA).... is it worth playing before others in the series? I am playing Hearts R now on my Vita and really enjoying it, so deciding which one to play next. I have Symphonia Chronicles on the PS3 as well as the Xillia and Xillia 2, plus Zestiria on the PS4 (caught a lot of deals in recent months). Been trying to track down Tales of the Abyss on PS2 and/or 3DS for cheap.

I am leaning towards Symphonia or Phantasia next. Suggestions?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Tales of Phantasia (GBA).... is it worth playing before others in the series? I am playing Hearts R now on my Vita and really enjoying it, so deciding which one to play next. I have Symphonia Chronicles on the PS3 as well as the Xillia and Xillia 2, plus Zestiria on the PS4 (caught a lot of deals in recent months). Been trying to track down Tales of the Abyss on PS2 and/or 3DS for cheap.

I want to say "no" because Destiny does that game better and practically every other Tales games one ups them as well. But if you're going to play it then do it before you get too deep in the series.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Backlit TFT LCD displays for gameboy, apparently better quality than the 101 gba: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1051244254989027&substory_index=0&id=940780776035376

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

wow I had no idea the display was manufactured by mitsumi but it makes so much sense, in the early-mid 90's they were one of the premiere makers of things like CD-ROMs and floppy drives and other components that needed really small simple motorized parts

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FireMrshlBill posted:

If you're going to play Phantasia, do yourself a favor and don't play the GBA version. That's straight up the worst version of the game. Play one of the fan ptranslated PS1 versions instead. It's a huuuuuuge step back from Hearts R though, so if you have any interest in playing it, you may wanna go Abyss -> Symphonia -> Phantasia to wean yourself off of some of the newer quality-of-life stuff.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

If you're going to play Phantasia, do yourself a favor and don't play the GBA version. That's straight up the worst version of the game. Play one of the fan ptranslated PS1 versions instead. It's a huuuuuuge step back from Hearts R though, so if you have any interest in playing it, you may wanna go Abyss -> Symphonia -> Phantasia to wean yourself off of some of the newer quality-of-life stuff.

al-azad posted:

I want to say "no" because Destiny does that game better and practically every other Tales games one ups them as well. But if you're going to play it then do it before you get too deep in the series.

Awesome, thanks. I already have the GBA version, but I'll just knock it down the list.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

If you already have it don't worry about it. It's not as bad as people say you're just sort of spoiled for choice on versions of Phantasia and other translations (the only one I'd say not to play is the SNES thing since it does the Near Far thing for techs that Star Ocean kept for the whole series and the fantranslation is kind of trashy). I actually like how the GBA version sort of replicates what you'd expect in a cheap SNES era translation.

Just don't expect any version of it to be nearly as actiony as the later games, Phantasia deliberately places you as the one physical character for 75% of the game so most of it comes down to guarding your squishy mages. Also spells pause the game for their animations and it will get annoying.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Play legendia because it goes way backwards but also you can punch dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I imagine some CPS2 board owners might be interested in this: http://arcadehacker.blogspot.ca/2016/09/capcom-cps2-security-programming-guide.html

• Locked thread