Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

"Listen pal, you won't believe who's leading this kampfgruppe!"

Edit: Giving Hitler stats is sort of an amusing thought.

Xenolalia fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I may have bought army books for both British and Americans for BA2, and preordering the rules plus a box of free Brits and a box of yanks. I figured that'd be better than buying the starter and have some Germans I'll never use. But that's my limit for now.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
A little advice, guys: The guys around here tend to play western front and tend to play west front matchups along historical lines and generally I seem to end up playing Germans. It's probably time I put some effort into a german list instead of bringing my opfor along since it's kind of a lovely list. Is there anything cool/interesting in Atlantic Wall or Bridge by Bridge I could look at?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

A little advice, guys: The guys around here tend to play western front and tend to play west front matchups along historical lines and generally I seem to end up playing Germans. It's probably time I put some effort into a german list instead of bringing my opfor along since it's kind of a lovely list. Is there anything cool/interesting in Atlantic Wall or Bridge by Bridge I could look at?

Counterpoint: paint up some USians as Aggressor forces. Failing that you could make a Captured Tank Company of EW French tonks for maximum comedy. Don't forget to check out the free lists, Battlefront's made a bunch of ones for Ze Germans. I kind of want to see someone try a Kerscher list in the wild (or an Elefant list). Don't forget the Ardennes Offensive is coming soon.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 10, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Captured craptanks might be fun but I figure that'd be shitloads of resins to assemble and wouldn't use much of the stuff I already have. Kerscher and the elefants are both east front, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Captured craptanks might be fun but I figure that'd be shitloads of resins to assemble and wouldn't use much of the stuff I already have. Kerscher and the elefants are both east front, right?

Oh, they're being that picky? Well, there is still some Western Front stuff on the FoW website (although grab it quick, because most of it is getting merged into The Ardennes Offensive and will likely then vanish from the net). There's I think an All-StuG armoured company for one thing.

Anyway, I too, need some advice. My LGS guy has said I could have a box of Commandos as my box of free infantry for getting a BA2 rulebook. I already bought a box of Americans (I know, I know, but I'm planning on making them as Armoured Rifles from an armoured div that was kicking round near where I live before D-Day). I'm kind torn between getting a box of regular infantry to make Canadians and a box of Commandos (with maybe an eye to make an all-Commando list like here). I'd like to get some input from goon wisdom for which I should go with. I've come up with my personal pros-and-cons:

:canada:
Pros:
Integrated unit means I can mix up the parade of white dudes
Kind of avoids 'special snowflake' syndrome, since they're just regular infantry
Novelty value of potentially having a platoon in both 15mm and 28mm scale
Cons:
My research kind of made me kind of not like Canada as much - they somehow treated their citizens of Japanese descent worse than the Americans, what the gently caress Canada
I kind of already have a force of standard infantry with the Armoured Doughs
Any Canadian FoW force is probably a while away
Someone else apparently already plays Canadians at my club

:britain:
Pros:
Commandos are elite and cool
Likely to be a smaller force than an equivalent points of Canadians
Get to use the free all-Commando list for extra Commando goodness

Cons:
I kind of feel like i'm being 'that guy' if I focus on some super elite unit
I only have the one option for an all-Commando list, as opposed to more flexibility for the Canadians
Might be unforgiving for learning the game

Anyone willing to help push me one way or the other?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Well, the "elite units" are actually not (usually) all that effective in FoW, so I expect they'd be seen as an interesting and cool option, not "that guy"ism.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I feel like the only time you're allowed to be picky and insistent on ~*perfect historical detail*~ is if you're doing the research, purchasing, modeling and painting yourself. It's kind of lovely to complain about other people's hard work like that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's not quite "perfect historical detail", my group just usually keeps to red vs blue matchups from the same book (or matched/related ones, like overlord vs atlantik wall).

Also I found the beutestug list and front armour 2, AT 12 is making me smile a lot, so I might go with that. Lots of breakthrough shots too, with the 105, which'll help with all the bloody infantry companies.

It's kind of a shame the beutepanzer list is trained and not vet, though, since it seems kind of a hilarious image and pretty unique, but on the other hand I'd need to do up like 25 resin tanks and gently caress that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Well, the "elite units" are actually not (usually) all that effective in FoW, so I expect they'd be seen as an interesting and cool option, not "that guy"ism.

I was actually talking about for BA, I'm pretty much resolved to make a FoW Canadian force (eventually). I'm defintely considering splitting the difference for FoW at a later date and making a Dieppe force (since I could probably recycle my LW Canadian Infantry with little issue). But for BA purposes, I want to go with one or the other.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I was actually talking about for BA, I'm pretty much resolved to make a FoW Canadian force (eventually). I'm defintely considering splitting the difference for FoW at a later date and making a Dieppe force (since I could probably recycle my LW Canadian Infantry with little issue). But for BA purposes, I want to go with one or the other.

I would consider using the bits from the Commandos box to make veteran infantry for a Canadian force. I think the commando only list (assuming you mean the Raiders! list) will be frustrating to play since the Tough Fighter special rule got nerfed a bit and that's all commandos really get aside from outflanking. The machine guns each squad gets aren't bad but they make each 10-man squad like 165 points, and even in a 1250 point game that adds up fast. If anyone brings any substantial armor you're just going to have to hope you can put enough pins on it to keep it from doing much, and that can be tough with the new 2nd edition rally rules.

Commandos are definitely cool, though, and you can buy rafts and poo poo for them, so the rules are only half the story.

edit: In case you're unaware, the commandos box is basically the regular british infantry box with different backpacks and then a bunch of extra bits, so you haven't really boxed yourself in at all by buying it.

http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/2013/12/review-commandos.html

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 10, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well I guess its a good thing I placed the order for the commandos, then.

I just kind of picked one at random because I wasn't sure which to go with and the deadline is coming up for pre-orders.

I was specifically talking about this list, which thankfully does seem to feature options for anti-tank goodness.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 10, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Xenolalia posted:

"Listen pal, you won't believe who's leading this kampfgruppe!"

Edit: Giving Hitler stats is sort of an amusing thought.

I'm figuring everyone wants to kill Hitler so why not give people the chance. If my opponent gets to walk away from a lost game of Bolt Action and fist pump the air claiming "yeah! I killed Hitler" everyone wins.
Like inglorious bersterds

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, they're being that picky? Well, there is still some Western Front stuff on the FoW website (although grab it quick, because most of it is getting merged into The Ardennes Offensive and will likely then vanish from the net). There's I think an All-StuG armoured company for one thing.

Anyway, I too, need some advice. My LGS guy has said I could have a box of Commandos as my box of free infantry for getting a BA2 rulebook. I already bought a box of Americans (I know, I know, but I'm planning on making them as Armoured Rifles from an armoured div that was kicking round near where I live before D-Day). I'm kind torn between getting a box of regular infantry to make Canadians and a box of Commandos (with maybe an eye to make an all-Commando list like here). I'd like to get some input from goon wisdom for which I should go with. I've come up with my personal pros-and-cons:

:canada:
Pros:
Integrated unit means I can mix up the parade of white dudes
Kind of avoids 'special snowflake' syndrome, since they're just regular infantry
Novelty value of potentially having a platoon in both 15mm and 28mm scale
Cons:
My research kind of made me kind of not like Canada as much - they somehow treated their citizens of Japanese descent worse than the Americans, what the gently caress Canada
I kind of already have a force of standard infantry with the Armoured Doughs
Any Canadian FoW force is probably a while away
Someone else apparently already plays Canadians at my club

:britain:
Pros:
Commandos are elite and cool
Likely to be a smaller force than an equivalent points of Canadians
Get to use the free all-Commando list for extra Commando goodness

Cons:
I kind of feel like i'm being 'that guy' if I focus on some super elite unit
I only have the one option for an all-Commando list, as opposed to more flexibility for the Canadians
Might be unforgiving for learning the game

Anyone willing to help push me one way or the other?

Go British, that way you can attach some Commandos to any other allied force you play as special detachment if you stop using them as a single army. It might also be fun to see how a numerically weaker force plays out. Provided they're not a cheese force you won't be that guy
It'll also be cheaper initially.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

spectralent posted:

Play the non-Nazi Nazis: Estonian SS

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Polikarpov posted:

Their painting station is awesome and at $22 bux is a steal. I think I got them a dozen sales when I posted a picture of mine to my local gaming group.

Ordered the paint station on your recommendation. It is indeed awesome.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kommando posted:

Go British, that way you can attach some Commandos to any other allied force you play as special detachment if you stop using them as a single army. It might also be fun to see how a numerically weaker force plays out. Provided they're not a cheese force you won't be that guy
It'll also be cheaper initially.

Thanks for the advice!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Play the non-Nazi Nazis: Estonian SS
Huh, they've removed any link to that .pdf on the website, instead telling people to get it on Flames of War Digital, but not only is it on there (just google it and you'll find it), it was last updated like 3 weeks ago. I didn't think they were even doing online briefings any more.

I'd feel kind of weird painting up dudes as SS, even if they weren't true believers. Might lead to some awkward questions.

Oh and of course, they're an Eastern Front list, so that might trigger Spectralent's gaming group.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 11, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There are two things that might make me pause before considering an SS force:
1) MilHist convinced that their eliteness ranges from overblown to outright bullshit, something no game ever considers
2) loving Dirlewanger

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just play them as dude spam conscripted teenagers like the guys from Fury.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JcDent posted:

1) MilHist convinced that their eliteness ranges from overblown to outright bullshit, something no game ever considers
2) loving Dirlewanger

Battlefront are at least on record that they're never making Dirlewanger.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Painting question, but you guys will probably be better here:

Finnish guns, how am I getting the camo looking? Bit worried the brown and green's too dark, especially since it's not been washed yet.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JcDent posted:

2) loving Dirlewanger

Holy gently caress no don't remind me of that, I feel physically ill just remembering that unit existed

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

2) loving Dirlewanger

Well apparently the history blurb for the Estonians is that a lot of them were actually veterans of guerrilla fighting against the Soviets (and only the guys who were actual veterans of combat are actually given the Veteran rules, the normal guy are just Trained, like most other regular army dudes in the game.) and that they were only in the SS because that was the only way the Germans were willing to arm them to fight against the Russians instead of giving them a bunch of guns to make a new Estonian Army or whatever. If they weren't, you know, SS I might have actually gone with them for what my starter Grenadiers are going to be, instead of Hungarians. But like you said, the whole SS thing is kind of an issue, no matter how much disconnect there is between them and the SS proper.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

JcDent posted:

2) loving Dirlewanger

"SS" being essentially code word for "elite" is so loving rediculous. I cannot believe how common that viewpoint still is.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Xenolalia posted:

"SS" being essentially code word for "elite" is so loving rediculous. I cannot believe how common that viewpoint still is.

Too be fair, the Estonians were elite and hard as gently caress. Well, some of them were. There's actually like 3 different things that people term the Estonian SS and the later big one was basically just a normal military regiment with some seasoned vets sprinkled in for flavor, the Estonian SS Volunteers who predated them had a history of fighting in some really grizzly battles and escaping alive against all odds.

They also wen't on to be the official guards for the Nuremberg Trials which I guess is sort of a nifty historical factoid.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Too be fair, the Estonians were elite and hard as gently caress. Well, some of them were. There's actually like 3 different things that people term the Estonian SS and the later big one was basically just a normal military regiment with some seasoned vets sprinkled in for flavor, the Estonian SS Volunteers who predated them had a history of fighting in some really grizzly battles and escaping alive against all odds.

They also wen't on to be the official guards for the Nuremberg Trials which I guess is sort of a nifty historical factoid.

Wait, really? Huh.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Thanks for the advice!

I'd feel kind of weird painting up dudes as SS, even if they weren't true believers. Might lead to some awkward questions.

Oh and of course, they're an Eastern Front list, so that might trigger Spectralent's gaming group.

https://youtu.be/OpZ8EkK3eWY

Xenolalia posted:

Goering was good at his job. Even 70 years on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kommando posted:

Goering was good at his job. Even 70 years on.

*Goebbels :eng101:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

whats a good system to use when building an army list for bolt action / konflikt 47?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

xutech posted:

whats a good system to use when building an army list for bolt action / konflikt 47?

http://boltaction.easyarmy.com

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Thanks for the link, but I mean is there common wisdom about making army building choices? I'm a bit overwhelmed and even with 1500 points as a guide I don't get all the stuff I want. Veterans seem to be great but then my experimental lists look a little scarce.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I dunno why (I'm not that well versed in rules), but people seem to prefer to leave weapon teams (at least mortars) regulars, and same goes for vehicles. I guess that has something to with the saves - your regular infantry can expect to get shot at a lot and they need that 4+, while tanks don't get a save like that (I think) and your mortars should be sitting pretty somewhere out of sight.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

xutech posted:

Thanks for the link, but I mean is there common wisdom about making army building choices? I'm a bit overwhelmed and even with 1500 points as a guide I don't get all the stuff I want. Veterans seem to be great but then my experimental lists look a little scarce.

You're probably splurging somewhere unnecessary. Post a sample list and we can review it for ya.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I picked up some 6mm crusaders and saracen to make a couple DBA armies to try out. I painted up a couple units of skirmishing archers, clipped em' out and glued them on their bases and blended in some sand on the bases but the squares they are on still stand out like a sore thumb. Does anyone have some advice on making these look better (putty filler maybe?) or doing arid bases at that small scale? Thanks!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I finally got around to painting my first Desert Rat! These guys are so teeny weeny compared to regular 28mm, but it's nice that the Perrys designed them at 1/56 to fit in with available vehicle models.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

lovestick posted:

I picked up some 6mm crusaders and saracen to make a couple DBA armies to try out. I painted up a couple units of skirmishing archers, clipped em' out and glued them on their bases and blended in some sand on the bases but the squares they are on still stand out like a sore thumb. Does anyone have some advice on making these look better (putty filler maybe?) or doing arid bases at that small scale? Thanks!

I base my 6mm by smearing a bit of spackle on the base, and then I spread it out. It doesn't have to be exactly as thick as the "squares" that the minis sit on, a millimeter or two goes a long way. Then I push the minis into the spackle. If things get very messy, you can even it out with a wet brush.

Once the spackle is dry, apply sand. It will be more even than if you went directly for the sand.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
A couple of shots from our test game of CoC this Saturday. We're going to play Operation Martlet and then Scottish Corridor afterwards.

Endman
May 18, 2010

secretly a baby posted:

A couple of shots from our test game of CoC this Saturday. We're going to play Operation Martlet and then Scottish Corridor afterwards.

These look amazing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Agreed, that's a very nice board, and the Desert Rat posted earlier was great as well.

Here are pics of how I meant with the spackle on the bases for 6mm, this is with only spackle/putty filler. Could have used a little more on the sides, as you see:

And here is with sand of various grains as well, it really helps hiding the gaps:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Endman posted:

I finally got around to painting my first Desert Rat! These guys are so teeny weeny compared to regular 28mm, but it's nice that the Perrys designed them at 1/56 to fit in with available vehicle models.

Lookin' good, nice work.

Also nice table, any chance of an aar for the game? How did you find tackling the rules the first time (if it was)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Sanguine posted:

Lookin' good, nice work.

Also nice table, any chance of an aar for the game? How did you find tackling the rules the first time (if it was)?

Thanks! The rules were detailed and we had to look up everything. But even though the complexity was a bit overwhelming, we liked all the rules we encountered.

I'll try and do up some sort of AAR for when the campaign proper starts, but I don't know if we have to get a bit more familiar with the rules first.

Also, totes jealous on that Desert Rat. I wish I played a game where I got to use Perry minis.