Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Might also look into something like Rustoleum's clear coat spray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
The design is still somewhat indeterminate. Basically I'm turning the trashcan into an altarpiece of sorts. A pseudo trash religious piece I guess. There's gonna be a basecoat of a kinda Oscar the grouch green with the various elements stenciled onto it. I'm guessing about 10 colors max overall.

I'm fully aware that it won't last forever, but would like it to be as durable as possible. Most likely I will apply some sort of clear coat enamel to the top to help protect it as much as possible.

Hope my friends are OK with not having a trashcan for a week or so.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

melon cat posted:

A vector art question.

What is this art-style is used in the Rocknrolla trailer? Screenshot below if it helps. I wanted to learn how to do it, but wasn't sure what I should be searching up. Looks kind of like cel shading, maybe?

Stencil

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

dog nougat posted:

The design is still somewhat indeterminate. Basically I'm turning the trashcan into an altarpiece of sorts. A pseudo trash religious piece I guess. There's gonna be a basecoat of a kinda Oscar the grouch green with the various elements stenciled onto it. I'm guessing about 10 colors max overall.

I'm fully aware that it won't last forever, but would like it to be as durable as possible. Most likely I will apply some sort of clear coat enamel to the top to help protect it as much as possible.

Hope my friends are OK with not having a trashcan for a week or so.

So the biggest challenge is getting the pigment to stick to plastic and then to stick on to layers. Clear coat doesn't address that issue. There are spray paints that are designed to bond to plastics, I would use those. Wash the surface with dishsoap rinse and dry. Then wash with a liberal amount of isopropyl alcohol. Then paint. Be sure to let each layer fully dry.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Ok cool. That was essentially my plan.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
no

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 26, 2019

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I run a small creative tumblr with about 1000 followers. I've begun work on a horror-tinged anthology podcast in the vein of the Twilight Zone, with each episode being between 15 and 30 minutes. The first episode has been cast and is in the process of being recorded, and the second episode is half cast so far. I was wondering if you guys would have some advice on places to look for casting and how to get the word out when it's released.

Never tried scripted audio work for me so the whole process is new, would appreciate any and all advice you guys would have to give.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am a halfway decent artist and the school I work for has asked for a couple of drawings or paintings for a little art show they put on to raise money for their program. I was asked to do something from "Where the Wild Things are". I dont know anything about copyright law, but I am thinking that would probably be a bad idea. Am I right?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Shows based on themes or inspired by different media are pretty common, not sure about the actual legal info but I have visited or seen online exhibitions based around the movie Eraserhead, Pokémon, Gravity Falls, and other works. I think as long as you're bringing your own style to the pieces you create and not just aping Maurice Sendak's images you should be fine.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I can do that, thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone have experience designing and selling typefaces? In my spare time over the past few months I've been putzing around with a monospace typeface, mostly for learning purposes. It's nothing incredibly special, but it's also not too shabby. I've done some initial research into places where I could sell it, (eg. myfonts.com, fonts.com) but would be interested to hear about any advice/experiences ya'll might have to share. I'm curious about download rates, prices, the submission process... any wisdom anyone would like to share, really.

e: Also if anyone knows of an affordable program I can use to package all of my .ai (or .svg) files into a usable font, that'd be handy. I've just been typesetting things by hand in order to see what they look like in use. The $650 price tag for Fontlab Studio is a bit much to swallow for a side project. I have the entire Adobe Creative Suite.

kedo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 23, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/ is free.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
That's it! Thanks for the help.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks much! I'll check it out.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Tripod question:

I've got a tripod but I think it's missing a round part that probably has male threads on the top of it that should go into this hole . I want to look for a replacement but I don't know the search term. What's the thing called?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Tripod question:

I've got a tripod but I think it's missing a round part that probably has male threads on the top of it that should go into this hole . I want to look for a replacement but I don't know the search term. What's the thing called?

The whole top element is called the tripod's "head." I believe that hole is where your camera plate would attach to the head, but it looks like some sort of ancient style that's no longer used. These days they're pretty standardized and definitely don't look like that.

Your tripod's manufacturer is still around, it might be worth asking them if they sell replacement parts for tripods that old and sending them the pictures.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Thank you. I will check them out.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's no API or library for developing third party plugins for Manga Studio, is there?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
My dad's been bugging me for like...ten years at least...to make him an "art" of this iconic sign:

I have minimal artistic skills. To be specific: I was the "good drawer" of the family but I never trained/developed technique (beyond reverse-engineering or draw-the-rest-of-the-loving-owl).

If I consider taking up my dad's request as some point, what would be the best option?

I think for sure I would need a projection or at least a grid system to keep the depiction realistic (on account of my skill). Also the level of zoom/perspective on the sign is a toss-up, as is the date of the reference picture. (Anything 1960+ would work, but I think color is the way to go).

I think I would feel a bit safer working with pastels (or cray-pas? I haven't used these things since junior high) than with paints. Or even colored pencils. But I would need guidance to some kind of tutorial that shows how they work when it comes to adjusting color.

TL;DR: I'm not completely incompetent with art but I need a lot of advice on how to do an art project depicting a landmark. Concerned about which medium to use and how to mask my lack of skill.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

FaradayCage posted:

TL;DR: I'm not completely incompetent with art but I need a lot of advice on how to do an art project depicting a landmark. Concerned about which medium to use and how to mask my lack of skill.

Honestly, pastels can be harder to use than paint. They are very sensitive to pressure and it takes a lot of finess to get a nice feathered layer down as opposed to harsh ugly streaks.Personally, I think acrylic paint would be the best option. Color pencils are close but they require a lot of layers to get dark values and it's a lot of extra work for little benefit unless you are going for a particular look. I think you'd be best off with acrylic.

There is a trick for perfect clean edges with acrylic paint too. Get good painters tape (like the blue one) and matte medium. First put the tape down around the letter or whatever you are painting. If needed (like say the curve in the S) you can cut out parts of the tape with an exacto knife. Once that's done take some matte medium and paint a coat or two all the way around where the tape touches the board/canvas whatever. It's okay to liberally apply the medium just make sure its a smooth coat, it wont affect the paint or the color or anything like that. It should dry pretty quick but make sure it dries completely before you do anything else to that area. The medium is transparent but will form a barrier between the tape and your painting surface so nothing can leak under the tape. Then you paint, let dry, and remove the tape. It's as easy as that. There might be some tape that is "leak proof" but I've seen even really good tape leak so if you are a perfectionist, the medium will ensure that it will work.

For the drawing, you can use pencil (acrylic will cover it up completely if you don't use transparent pigments) and a grid like you mentioned. If needed you can ask in the art store if you are unsure which paints are transparent and they should be able to help you. Use a ruler for straight edges and a french curve for curves if you need. Line everything up and get it exactly how you like before you paint.

That should do it, it will be time consuming but it wont be hard to do. Just use a sturdy surface if you are gonna be cutting tape on it with an exacto knife so you don't punch through the surface, at least canvas board or something. Mind you still be careful cause you don't want to scratch up your surface even if it is sturdy but that's really the only danger. If all else fails and you mess up, you can always do another one. You don't have to show him any of the bad ones, just the one good one after all.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 28, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm looking for a typesetter that can handle converting ~6000 web pages into 15 PDFs following a design spec I'd provide. I have emails out to a few typesetters about this, but they're all located in the UK. I don't mind this per se, but I've worked with UK companies before and the time zone difference can make things tough. All the other companies I've found are in India.

Does anyone know of any companies that do this sort of work in the US and/or companies anywhere in the world that are reliable?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

When you're writing a screenplay, you don't describe what the camera is doing. Do you?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
There's gotta be something easier than CafePress out there, right?

In my spare time i've been designing goofy shirts and poo poo and find A) Cafe Press' interface to be horribly user unfriendly and B) their Content Usage Policy to be baffling (like, a third of my things so far have been flagged - nothing inappropriate, nothing copyright-protected, all-original, completely arbitrary).

I'm just looking for a sight/service that does the print-on-demand, handles inventory and is easy to use.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CafePress is still around? Man, they were awful a decade ago.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
I decided to make a goofy logo for my beehive and made the mistake of thinking PaintShop Pro would be an okay program to use. It's always suited my photo editing needs, but boy does it suck at making smooth lines when drawing from scratch. Is there any way to smooth out the edges without just redrawing it in photoshop (which I don't own)?

Melicious fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 9, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Melicious posted:

I decided to make a goofy logo for my beehive and made the mistake of thinking PaintShop Pro would be an okay program to use. It's always suited my photo editing needs, but boy does it suck at making smooth lines when drawing from scratch. Is there any way to smooth out the edges without just redrawing it in photoshop (which I don't own)?

Probably not. Raster programs aren't really right for that kind of work anyways. Illustrator or some free equivalent that works with vectors would be better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That type of drawing is prime for illustrator's live trace.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
If I have a picture (image 1), eg:

and an enlarged or reduced and rotated version of it (image 2) eg

Is there some way (short of trial and error) for me to find out how much I'd have to transform/rotate image 1 to end up with more or less exactly image 2?

I have access to Photoshop CS5, but I don't know if it has any such function.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nope, just select a landmark, line those two up and move the anchor point to them, then try rotating around.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Would photoshop's auto-align not do rotation?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think it doesnt work if its a rasterized rotation.

BashGhouse
Feb 5, 2015
What's a reasonable hourly rate for a dude I'm commissioning? I'm commissioning a thing for a DnD campaign and the dude's asking for, like, 30 bucks for a full day of work at great quality. I feel kind of dirty paying that little, so I want to offer a price that doesn't make me feel like a lovely human being.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I'm guessing that this isn't the dude's primary source of income? Is he a student, or a hobbyist, or what? We'd need some more specifics on the amount and type of work before you can get any specific price information but I'd say offering $20 an hour is reasonable if the dude is a hobbyist, total beginner, or otherwise non-professional who just loves drawin' dragons or whatever.

BashGhouse
Feb 5, 2015

gmc9987 posted:

I'm guessing that this isn't the dude's primary source of income? Is he a student, or a hobbyist, or what? We'd need some more specifics on the amount and type of work before you can get any specific price information but I'd say offering $20 an hour is reasonable if the dude is a hobbyist, total beginner, or otherwise non-professional who just loves drawin' dragons or whatever.

They're a hobbyist, I think. We're talking 2 digital portraits of characters in a DnD campaign I'm running to give to the players.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Anyone here well versed with CSP's animation tool? Is there any way I can have more than one layer for an animation cel or is there no way to draw over a rough draft version without just creating a brand new timeline on top of it?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

BashGhouse posted:

They're a hobbyist, I think. We're talking 2 digital portraits of characters in a DnD campaign I'm running to give to the players.

Well, feel free to offer them more money than they asked for - I am sure they'll appreciate it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ask em how long it took and pay them hourly wages :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone know hot to enable a drawing grid in Corel Painter? I'm trying to learn how to use this tablet I got and this is the program that came with it. The guide says there is a grid option right under the canvas bar but I don't see one and its driving me crazy trying to get proportions right without one.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I want to edit youtube videos in iMovie, to make a "video collage" of sorts, kind of like a youtube poop. I'm starting at square one here and have no idea how easy or hard this is to do. Anybody have a suggestion on the best/free youtube downloader? Also, is this legal to do or will my video immediately be taken offline by youtube once I upload it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I want to edit youtube videos in iMovie, to make a "video collage" of sorts, kind of like a youtube poop. I'm starting at square one here and have no idea how easy or hard this is to do. Anybody have a suggestion on the best/free youtube downloader? Also, is this legal to do or will my video immediately be taken offline by youtube once I upload it?

Savefrom.net