Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Does anyone ever tell Nahyuta to just gently caress off? Even his breakdown animation isn't that satisfying for all the work you have to do to get it.

I don't like Nahyuta but his 'getting pelted by rosary beads' animation is very good and you should appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've mostly just started Case 4 but Blackquill at least fights back with insults of his own. It's actually really refreshing and the most I've ever liked him. Nahyuta needs to cram it, because I'm sick of his crap.
Slightly later case 4: Blackquill also tells him that he doesn't care about his religious beliefs and just wants to save his favourite noodle joint. Blackquill is great

e: I like Athena's remixed theme.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 12, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Case 3

I'm glad Inmee get dressed again before reverting to Maya, but I'm not sure the whole topless dude thing needed to happen. Poor Maya :(

Good case though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm mid way through the day 2 investigation of case 5. And man, Rayfa..... :smith: She has it rough. And her Mum's probably evil too. I hope she makes it out of this ok.

I'm surprised at how much i'm liking her. Maybe the best new character in this game?

On an unrelated note though Phoenix accidentally becoming pals with noted crazy person Datz Are'bal is one of my favourite small things about this game. :allears:

Edit: Oh wow. Just the tiny revelation that Thalassa was travelling with Apollo's dad when the building he and Apollo were in burned to the ground with everything they owned as well kinda changes a few things about how I viewed her in AJ. I mean as far as she knew her husband and son just burned to death and the culprit was an apparent friend. I can't even blame her for returning to the craziest magician family in the world. And then she ends up in a accident, gets amnesia, and disappears a few years later.

Apollo's family is surprisingly tragic.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 12, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

General game stuff, not case specific.
Nahyuta is a boring fucker, isn't he.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Edit: Oh wow. Just the tiny revelation that Thalassa was travelling with Apollo's dad when the building he and Apollo were in burned to the ground with everything they owned as well kinda changes a few things about how I viewed her in AJ. I mean as far as she knew her husband and son just burned to death and the culprit was an apparent friend. I can't even blame her for returning to the craziest magician family in the world. And then she ends up in a accident, gets amnesia, and disappears a few years later.

Apollo's family is surprisingly tragic.

The next game in the series will start with

Ending and full game spoilers:
My name is Apollo Justice. I was born(?) in the kingdom of Khura'in, where my dad burned to death and my mom disappeared. I was adopted by the man who was accused of causing the burning, the husband of the queen, who was also believed to have died in the same fire, and grew up with him and my adoptive brother, the ex-prince. My dad then took me to the US and left me there when I was about ten years old, and I grew up in an orphanage, where I became best friends with a guy who later became an astronaut and was killed by a superspy. It turns out that my mother is alive and is actually a world-renowned singer, but before that she was a magician in a world-renowned troupe, but she got amnesia. Because of that I also have a half-sister, who it turns out is the adopted daughter of my ex-boss. Last year, I reconnected with my adoptive dad, though he was actually dead, and I managed to depose the queen of Khura'in (not the previously mentioned queen but her sister), and now my adoptive brother, his sister who is the new queen, (my adoptive sister??) and I are trying to restore Khura'in to its former glory. And one thing I've learned after 3 years of working as a lawyer, you never know what case is gonna come through that door.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 12, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

nftyw posted:

How's about letting go of the loving rear end in a top hat bit and letting me decide if I want to be a part of your lovely religion or not (hint: the answer is "no.")

I would be more annoyed about this, except Phoenix literally busted into a trial in another country and did essentially the same thing. I'm annoyed that no one has really called Nahyuta on prosecuting innocent people though, surely that would make him much more hellbound than the people that are proven right.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So Case 2 was pretty great although i found another niggling complaint

Mr.Reus saying he works alone and then having his whole plan hinge upon a fan that he basically immediatly took on as his protege. Just to murder the poor guy. I mean yeah that just goes to show how petty he really is and he's probably one of the best villians ever and i'm glad when i finally got to rub cold,hard EVIDENCE :black101: in his face. The masks during his freak out was the best part.

Also somebody REALLY should tell (Apollo Justice spoilers ahead) Apollo and Trucy that they are related, is there a particular reason nothing has really been followed up on from Apollo's first game?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
*Case 2*

Mistree is probably one of the most sympathetic minor victims in the series. Dude literally did nothing wrong and his murder wasn't even the point, loving with Trucy and the Gramarye's was.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

*Case 2*

Mistree is probably one of the most sympathetic minor victims in the series. Dude literally did nothing wrong and his murder wasn't even the point, loving with Trucy and the Gramarye's was.

Dude was in on trying to make a viral prank video, he deserved whatever he got

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's a cool but massive fanart: everyone without their coats and/or jackets (and Apollo showing off his not-jacket-wearing)

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Here's a cool but massive fanart: everyone without their coats and/or jackets (and Apollo showing off his not-jacket-wearing)

This shows off how the addition of Phoenix's powder blue waistcoat is one of the best visual design decisions in the series. That and the pocket watch.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Maybe instead of giving us garbage dlc costumes that you only put on for a two second laugh we could get that instead

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LupusAter posted:

That and the pocket watch.

It's Trucy's locket!

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I just finished Case 3, and I really have to say, Spirit Of Justice hasn't had a weak case so far. The start of Case 4 has me a little incredulous if that trend will continue, but as long as it's not 2-4, I'll learn to live with it.

But I don't think even Trials & Tribulations had a case line up this strong, SoJ is really shaping up to be potentially the best game in the series for me.

Also there's no good side in the Khur'ain situation, is there? It's just two violent extremes, and while one of them has a point, they're still being psychopaths. I guess it's nice that Phoenix is making new friends though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Lynkericious posted:

Also there's no good side in the Khur'ain situation, is there? It's just two violent extremes, and while one of them has a point, they're still being psychopaths. I guess it's nice that Phoenix is making new friends though.

You know the saying: Just keep playing.

So I just finished Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 6: Apollo Justice Ace Attorney 3: Spirit of Justice: The Reckoning.

I call it that because this is a solid arc in Apollo's story. And for a dude who's career wasn't jump started by the death of his mentor like Phoenix I think he's done really well for himself.

I daresay none of the cases were weak. I know some people knock 4 for being 'filler' but I still think it's a really solid side case and the people involved worked out nicely. I also liked that they showed a person with MPD (even if it was a bit fantastical) and didn't disparage them or go with the first supposition that the 'hidden' personality was the killer. Athena got to do a bunch of stuff but I don't agree that she's there just yet for her to just fly *completely* on her own considering the events of the last game but even if she showed a bit of weakness she showed no signs of breaking down like in the past. I appreciated that bit of growth.

All in all I'd have to say this is definitely in the top 3 of the series.

... but for gently caress sakes when are they going to tell Apollo Trucy is his half sister? :v: I guess I gotta wait for Ace Attorney 7: Apollo Justice 4: REVENGEANCE considering they tease the poo poo out of it in the credits. :v:

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 12, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You know, I think a figured out another reason why the Khur'ain trials are so frustrating: the judge. The Japanifornia judge does prefer the prosecution, but he's much more likely to be a doofus and occasionally does come around to the player's side, sometimes to the point of shutting the prosecution down. The Khur'ain judge just loving hates you as much as everyone else and barely even concedes the points you actually get right. You don't really ever get the feeling of the trial being in your favor until literally the last second.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering they're not even supposed to have defense attorneys, I'd say the judge is surprisingly lenient on a guy who clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Momomo posted:

Considering they're not even supposed to have defense attorneys, I'd say the judge is surprisingly lenient on a guy who clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Yeah, considering the fact he even lets Phoenix do what he does in the first case and his actions in future cases says that his Magistry actually cares about the law even with the DCA in tact.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Case 3

I'm glad Inmee get dressed again before reverting to Maya, but I'm not sure the whole topless dude thing needed to happen. Poor Maya :(

Good case though

I wish he didn't get dressed again before reverting :mrgw:

Man Case 3 was fuckin bonkers man. I had no clue what was going on near the end. I was certain that Mrs. Inmee was going to be Lady Kee'rah or whatever, as soon as I saw she had the steel samurai watch in the photo, and that would be evidence in the Seance, but things took a tragic turn there and I didn't even consider suicide until the answer was staring me in the face at the end. What a wild ride.

whole game speculation: And Dhurke is totally Apollo's dad. Datz said Apollo was his adopted son but the dude has the exact same eyebrows. I bet the prosecutor was the adopted son.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I think the Judge came around surprisingly well in the first case in spite of the whole "attornies are lying scum" thing, but then after that he went back to a jerk again. Which, I guess, could also be the fault of Nahyuta being there putting pressure on everyone.

Momomo posted:

I would be more annoyed about this, except Phoenix literally busted into a trial in another country and did essentially the same thing. I'm annoyed that no one has really called Nahyuta on prosecuting innocent people though, surely that would make him much more hellbound than the people that are proven right.

Well you see, something something, Holy Mother something something forgiveness etc etc devout prayer so it's all smiles for anyone Kuranian. Phoenix, he practices law so oh well he is still going to hell! :supaburn:

nftyw fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 12, 2016

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

nftyw posted:

I think the Judge came around surprisingly well in the first case in spite of the whole "attornies are lying scum" thing, but then after that he went back to a jerk again. Which, I guess, could also be the fault of Nahyuta being there putting pressure on everyone.

Well, also, 23 years of LAWYERS ARE EVIL.

http://nintendonews.com/blog/ace-attorney-spirit-of-justice-september-dlc-details/

Also hot drat I didn't even realize they released the DLC schedule. And it's all out this month.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Does anyone know anything about the two "Asinine Attorney" short stories? This is the first I'm hearing of them

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Apparently they're 20 minute goof-offs?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah they're not long. The Apollo one is maybe 10 minutes longer but each one is around half an hour give or take 10 minutes (Phoenix closer to 20, Apollo probably a little more than 30), not anything you have to rush out and get. Phoenix one is pretty absurd and funny though

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Juuudge! That attorney over there stole my steak lunch, pal! Death! Death to the attorney! :mad:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I like the Khura'in judge a lot actually because he's ridiculously competent, especially compared to the normal lovable doofus. It's a good change.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Khura'in Judge is cool. It's clear how the lawyer bias has affected him, yet he still tries to give lawyers a fair chance at proving their point (and their case).

The normal judge is a lovable (but still pretty fair when it comes down to it) doofus, though he seems to have become a bit smarter starting from Dual Destinies and onward.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Zaa Boogie posted:

http://nintendonews.com/blog/ace-attorney-spirit-of-justice-september-dlc-details/

Also hot drat I didn't even realize they released the DLC schedule. And it's all out this month.

*squints at that extra case DLC title* What kind of shenanigans could THAT entail?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just finished case 1 moments before my 3ds battery could die. Good god was that a lengthy and amazing first case. 2nd longest and 2nd best opening for sure. Pees'lubn was the best, the Insight thing is a sensible new mechanic for a change, sudden Jamieson Price during the ending oh my god Dhurke is going to be hard to dislike. It was weird that the Allegro cross-examination theme played for every single cross-examination but the very first one though!

...Gaspen Payne is a completely detestable fucklord who better not come back ever again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Just finished case 1 moments before my 3ds battery could die. Good god was that a lengthy and amazing first case. 2nd longest and 2nd best opening for sure. Pees'lubn was the best, the Insight thing is a sensible new mechanic for a change, sudden Jamieson Price during the ending oh my god Dhurke is going to be hard to dislike. It was weird that the Allegro cross-examination theme played for every single cross-examination but the very first one though!

...Gaspen Payne is a completely detestable fucklord who better not come back ever again.

He'll be replaced by his fresh up-and-comer son Gronen

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Payne family is the true blight on the legal system that must be abolished...permanently.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

2nd longest and 2nd best opening for sure.
Which one's the best? it's been so long since I played the other games that I don't even remember anymore

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The Payne family is the true blight on the legal system that must be abolished...permanently.
Winston is just a lovely prosecutor who talks himself up too much. Poor guy just wants to protect his witnesses from badgering, it's not his fault they always turn out to be the true murderer :(

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ilifinicus posted:

Which one's the best? it's been so long since I played the other games that I don't even remember anymore

Imo Apollo Justice's is by far the best, as it's actually pretty surprising and a pretty wild ride in general.

e: AAI2's is really good too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AJ and AAI:2 both have great intro cases yeah

In AJ's case unfortunately its first case is also its best case

Both AAI:2 and SoJ start off strong and then just keep getting better.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Khura'in Judge is cool. It's clear how the lawyer bias has affected him, yet he still tries to give lawyers a fair chance at proving their point (and their case).

The normal judge is a lovable (but still pretty fair when it comes down to it) doofus, though he seems to have become a bit smarter starting from Dual Destinies and onward.

When will the Judge's Brother make his return??

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ilifinicus posted:

Investigation 2 for sure, yeah. Apollo Justice is the 3rd which is honestly impressive for the game I'd put overall as the worst.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

guess I'll have to play AAI:2 sometime

all I remember from AJ was gavin's theme which owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's unfortunately the only thing about him that owns.