Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

In before someone asks for tentacle flaming racing stripes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008
That really is some gorgeous marbling. Would you mind sharing how you did it? You've inspired me to get back to sculpting.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

In before someone asks for tentacle flaming racing stripes.

Guy Fieri as a dildo?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Guy Fieri as a dildo?

The frosted tips I understand. But what color is smug?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Geirskogul posted:

Piss-yellow to orange.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Spray-tan orange.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
Just a thought but have you thought of making The Elf in other sizes?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Elvish STDs are horrifying.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The fishies are a nice touch.

That's the bit that gets me too. Here's your dong to ruin your Anus.

But wait, there's more. Two little cute fishes. They could be the secret that you have on your mantlepiece, so only other dildomancer customers recognise them and give you a knowing nod.

The Masonic handshake of dragon dongs

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Well now I might have to get my stepdad a big old silicone masonic emblem just to see his reaction.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Oodles posted:

That's the bit that gets me too. Here's your dong to ruin your Anus.

But wait, there's more. Two little cute fishes. They could be the secret that you have on your mantlepiece, so only other dildomancer customers recognise them and give you a knowing nod.

The Masonic handshake of dragon dongs

What a way to be outed as a poster in this thread... your new friend shows up at your house one day and sees the fish sitting there on a shelf, looks you dead in the eye and laughs knowingly. No words are exchanged, but suddenly it clicks - you know why they seemed so familiar when you ran into them at the bar that night. You've known all along, and just didn't want to believe it. And now, like the telltale heart, you hear your dildo rattling in its drawer. Do they hear it, too?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

That would require sculpting a copy at the new size, unless op has access to a high resolution 3d scanner and printer.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

No sense of right or wrong.

Dynastes posted:

That really is some gorgeous marbling. Would you mind sharing how you did it? You've inspired me to get back to sculpting.

Someone asked for a "surprise me" toy, so I decided to try a new technique. That swirly pattern is something you can normally only do with less-viscous silicone, but this is Dragon Skin, so I had to try something new:

1) Mix, color, and degas your two colors in equal portions (red and white in this case).
2) Pour all of the white silicone on top of the red silicone in the shape of a U. At this point, you have a large white U with the remainder of the circle still red.
3) Degas the combined silicone again.
4) Using a toothpick, make lines in the white silicone with the red, as shown in the picture that I've hopefully remembered to attach below.
5) Pour slowly from the red side. The silicone will fall in striped ribbons which form the resulting pattern.

Ok, here's the picture. *In the interest of it looking less disgusting, I have used black instead of red here.*

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Cakefool posted:

That would require sculpting a copy at the new size, unless op has access to a high resolution 3d scanner and printer.

Yeah, pretty much. And I don't have a 3D scanner and printer. Even if I did, unless it was a very good one, I wouldn't use it for toys. Toys based on 3D models tend to have a rough sandpapery texture unless they are hand-smoothed with fine grit sandpaper afterward, and that's extraordinarily difficult if the model in question has creases or folds.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Hey, :siren:important note!:siren:

I am shipping out the first batch of dongs tomorrow morning (11 of them) to the names/addresses attached to your PayPal accounts. If this is not ok, PM me immediately and let me know your proper address. As for name, if you're within the US, it doesn't matter. If you are overseas, I need to put your name on the custom form, so a real name would be preferred.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I clicked on this thread thinking it would be mildly interesting and it turned out to be the best thing I've ever read.

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008

Dildomancer posted:

Silicone Dick Wizardry
That's awesome, thanks!

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Just mailed out those 11 dongs. For those of you within the US, I'll send you the tracking numbers now.

And then it's the weekend again, which means more dongs. I've gotten about a third of the way through the backlog so far, but the backlog is growing faster than I am making them.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
SA has an insatiable appetite for cock, this is true

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Not an elf dick, but a friend requested a light green and purple shark, so you guys all have to look at it.

How to make it look like this:

1) Mix up a small amount of purple silicone
2) Pour the purple silicone down the sides of the mold into the tip
3) Turn it upside-down and let it drip back out
4) Mix up a large amount of light green silicone
5) Flip the mold right-side-up and fill it up

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If those colors were different, that's a disturbing pattern. But it's pretty as is.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Put googly eyes on it and take those pictures again please.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

honda whisperer posted:

Put googly eyes on it and take those pictures again please.

Plus bonus new dong

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Thank you for creating this thread Dildomancer. I've learned things that both amazed and terrified me.

Edit: probably a stupid question, but if I end up ordering an elf cock, will the box say anything like "THIS IS A DILDO" on it? I ask because the only delivery options available to me right now are getting it delivered to my parents address or my work and there is no way in hell I'd risk it going to my workplace. My parents tend to just dump my packages in my room until I come visit.

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 11, 2016

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Thank you for creating this thread Dildomancer. I've learned things that both amazed and terrified me.

Edit: probably a stupid question, but if I end up ordering an elf cock, will the box say anything like "THIS IS A DILDO" on it? I ask because the only delivery options available to me right now are getting it delivered to my parents address or my work and there is no way in hell I'd risk it going to my workplace. My parents tend to just dump my packages in my room until I come visit.

It's just an unmarked brown box. So long as they don't cut the box open, there's nothing visibly naughty. Remember, my wife and I have to mail these things, too, and that involves standing in line at the post office with a bunch of soccer moms and their kids.

One of these days, I'd love to make a dick-shaped box and use it to mail something completely innocent. I've got like 50 cardboard boxes and plenty of packing tape. I can do this.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you don't label them GRADE-A ANAL STIMULANT?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Actually a dick shaped parcel sounds awesome.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Actually a dick shaped parcel sounds awesome.

Only if it has a flared base.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Dildomancer posted:

A note on clay: it is vulnerable to slump. That is, before it's baked, it will slowly deform. This dong is curved and therefore experiences a lot of internal stress near the base and the center of the curve. If left alone a few days, deep cracks will form and the toy will break into a few ragged chunks. Without the metal skeleton inside, it wouldn't have even withstood the initial steps of the building process without breaking. This is due to tension on the outside of the bend (extrados) pulling the clay apart. It's much stronger in compression than tension, so the compression on the inside of the bend (intrados) isn't really a problem. As soon as a tiny crack forms, whether due to a concentration of stress on the outer skin or a defect in the additive manufacturing process, it will quickly widen until the toy collapses.

In industrial engineering, there are ways to mitigate this situation....

How did you learn to understand the chemical and physical properties of the toys you make? I think this seems cool but I would not want to use something or give away something for someone else to use just based on internet stranger's account of "yeah this material is non-toxic and safe for the human body, it won't make anyone sick". I'd also be worried about making a toy with a flared base, thinking it's safe, and then having it break off inside someone after a vigorous session because of a combination of poor material and structural properties. I'm imagining something breaking inside someone, thus being unable to be removed via its flared base, because it's material is too firm and I made the base too thin.

If I want a real understanding of the material and structural properties so that I can know I'm making things that are safe to use, how do I gain that knowledge? How did you do it? And are there any big tumblr communities of dildo enthusiasts that I can join or did you mostly interact with the wider dildo community via fetlife?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

oliveoil posted:

I think this seems cool but I would not want to use something or give away something for someone else to use just based on internet stranger's account of "yeah this material is non-toxic and safe for the human body, it won't make anyone sick".

This is a property inherent to cured silicone, it's not a big mystery. Silicone companies themselves will tell you everything you need to know about material safety.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

But can they tell you the shear forces involved when a 500lb woman wearing your device fails to dismount her sissyboy properly?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

http://albright1.com/types-and-properties/

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

oliveoil posted:

How did you learn to understand the chemical and physical properties of the toys you make? I think this seems cool but I would not want to use something or give away something for someone else to use just based on internet stranger's account of "yeah this material is non-toxic and safe for the human body, it won't make anyone sick". I'd also be worried about making a toy with a flared base, thinking it's safe, and then having it break off inside someone after a vigorous session because of a combination of poor material and structural properties. I'm imagining something breaking inside someone, thus being unable to be removed via its flared base, because it's material is too firm and I made the base too thin.

If I want a real understanding of the material and structural properties so that I can know I'm making things that are safe to use, how do I gain that knowledge? How did you do it? And are there any big tumblr communities of dildo enthusiasts that I can join or did you mostly interact with the wider dildo community via fetlife?

Smooth-On has MSDS and technical data sheets for each of their products. I use the same exact chemicals that other hobbyists/manufacturers do, so if there's an issue, you won't find a silicone dong that doesn't have that issue. Specifically, the intended purpose for a lot of these silicones/pigments is body FX for Hollywood, and it is also used for medical implants.

The dongs to watch out for are the rubber ones. Best case, it'll be porous and require disinfecting after each use if you want to keep it properly clean (silicone is non-porous). Worst case, it's not remotely body-safe and will give you terrible hole diseases.

As for the communities, I'd say the Tumblr dildo community is bigger than the FetLife one, at least from personal experience. I don't spent a lot of time on FetLife as it's a bit harder to interact with people there while keeping things professional.

ETA:

kaschei posted:

But can they tell you the shear forces involved when a 500lb woman wearing your device fails to dismount her sissyboy properly?

I know you're joking, but I doubt you'd have to worry about shear when it comes to silicone. The Young's modulus is so low that you'll just get major deformation, and the silicone would probably tear around the resulting sharp curves. Picture making a beam out of silicone and trying a typical 3-point load test. As for tensile strength, you'd have to invent a new apparatus for that, because the usual dogbone tensile strength test wouldn't work. The silicone would just slip free of the threads and flop down. Might be better using a triaxial test as if it were clay or soil.

Dildomancer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 11, 2016

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

literally a fish posted:

SA has an insatiable appetite for cock, this is true

No kidding. I made a military themed graffiti dickart book and sure enough I'm sold out within days.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A Kpro posted:

No kidding. I made a military themed graffiti dickart book and sure enough I'm sold out within days.

That was a legitimate historical document.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

A Kpro posted:

I was going to mention this yesterday but my laptop bluescreened.

I'm worried that ordering an elf dick so soon will get me on some sort of watch list, but on the other hand there's a puntl shaped hole in my heart that needs filling.

Dildomancer - are you open to any forms of payment other than paypal? It's a non-option for me and I don't know anyone who uses it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Really interesting thread! I've read all of it through, lots of laughs and amazement.

I'm really surprised there is drama in the dildo making "community". I mean, if you're your own boss and businessman, what kind of community can there be, and why bother listening to douchebags if they're not buying your goods anyway?

Also a question: You have posted many times that you sold such and such dildo, and the customer said they liked it, it was too big, they took the whole thing in their hole, or some other feedback. Did customers often voluntarily send their feedback by email? Or did they post comments on your webshop?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

I'm really surprised there is drama in the dildo making "community". I mean, if you're your own boss and businessman, what kind of community can there be, and why bother listening to douchebags if they're not buying your goods anyway?

From what I've read, I'd guess it's basically a combination of a) niche market customers often being awful people (everyone wants custom work, nobody knows how to properly commission custom work, nobody wants to pay for custom work); b) sex makes everything awkward, and c) the core community is on Tumblr.

Dildomancer
Aug 8, 2016

Guest2553 posted:

Dildomancer - are you open to any forms of payment other than paypal? It's a non-option for me and I don't know anyone who uses it.

I've had people mail me checks. Not ideal, but it works.

Pilsner posted:

Also a question: You have posted many times that you sold such and such dildo, and the customer said they liked it, it was too big, they took the whole thing in their hole, or some other feedback. Did customers often voluntarily send their feedback by email? Or did they post comments on your webshop?

Because a lot of your customers or potential customers are members of that community, and they listen. You have to manage your reputation. That drove me freakin' nuts because I'm not much of a people person. As for the feedback, some folks posted unboxing pictures and commentary. Others would let me know they got in, and toss in their reactions as well. Folks posted some stuff on Etsy but it was rare to get more than a "thanks" or similar.

Anyway, here are the two toys I made this afternoon.

They came out wonderfully, though they each have very small seams. The seams won't inhibit their use, but they piss me off, so I'm going to re-make the mold. I've ordered some A20 (firm) silicone and, when it gets in, I'll make a sturdier (and therefore easier to align) puntl mold.

I won't have anything to do with the old one, so maybe I could give it away / sell it off to someone who wants to try their hand making dicks. We'll see.

Let this be a lesson: if you make a mold out of soft silicone, you are going to have to waste $60 making a second one.

EDIT: You can also see that silicone attracts dust/lint. All the toys get hand-washed with dish soap before shipping. If you feel the need to clean silicone toys, you have a lot of options: hand-wash them, stick them in a dishwasher, or boil them like a corn cob if you want some deep disinfection.

Dildomancer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 11, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The horror silos wreaked my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm guessing the right one was the result of the instruction "I want an ice lolly I can shove up my rear end."

• Locked thread