Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I could use some advice on the current game I'm GM'ing.

Yesterday was my first time GM'ing a live game (over roll20) rather than play-by-post, and I think it went... okay? I didn't want to start with the Beginner Box adventure or anything like that just because I know one of my players has played through it literally 5 times by now, so I put together my own simple story as a sort of "prelude". I don't think any of them post here, but if you happen to be currently playing a game GM'd by me, you'll know me by my name and avatar, so please don't read further. Wall o' text summary incoming:

The party is made up of four people that I randomly found through a Reddit LFG post and from the LFG tool on roll20, and is pretty light on the combat skills. We have a Human gunslinger, a Verpine outlaw tech, a pacifist Droid trader, and a Trandoshan doctor. They expressed an interest in doing a roleplay-heavy game via text chat, since it does make it easier to sort of dive into a character. We use voice for OOC tabletalk, discussion of rolls, and combat. The format is another topic, but I personally find it a bit awkward -- I'm willing to give it a shot, but my strong tendency is just to use voice for everything. Whether or not the format holds in the long term is questionable, but I'm hoping I become used to it sooner rather than later.

I started the party out in a tiny village located within the massive junkyards of Ord Mantell. In my backstory, the doctor had set up a makeshift clinic in the hardscrabble town as a way of surviving, while the droid had connected with him as his erstwhile office assistant. The gunslinger had gotten into a bar fight, and the Verpine helped him into the clinic. A bit of scenery chewing later, a there were sounds of a scuffle outside, and a young human man ran into the clinic, begging for shelter from the thugs of a local crime lord. Long story short, he hid in the back room while the party convinced the thugs to look elsewhere. The man then gave them a quest to find a freighter that had recently downed in the area and recover a data disc from it, which apparently contained detailed plans for the local crime lord's upcoming terror attacks on the capital city. It doesn't. It actually contains proof that the man's true employer, a local technology company, has been doing bioweapons research for the Empire, and he needs to recover the plans before the local crime lord gets them first and then sells them to the Rebellion.

So the party set out, and just had their first combat out in the junkyard with some lackeys of the crime lord. That's unfortunately as far as we got in the session.. the rest of the material I have planned involves them finding the ship (a relatively intact light freighter that they will then use as a party ship), the reveal that the human male is actually working with the Empire, and either his betrayal or the party deciding to help him out. Beyond that, I don't have anything yet planned.

My issue is that I think it might be best if I find a way to segue this story into one of the published adventures ASAP. First because the party said they're definitely open to it, and second because I'm sorta terrified of coming up with a boring campaign during Baby's First Live GM'ing. Unfortunately I've got a serious case of writer's block when it comes to connecting this story, which was really intended to be a short introductory adventure, to the path that leads to a published adventure (specifically looking at Beyond the Rim or Mask of the Pirate Queen, since nobody in the group has done those yet). I guess that's where I need some goon advice?

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Beyond The Rim starts with the discovery of a distress beacon from a lost Separatist treasure ship. When they recover the disk, you could have them find out that actually it's a fragment of the navigation records from it (along with basically a sales brochure on 'Why you want to buy this info'). The crime lord had bought the data, but the human stole it to sell elsewhere- unfortunately, his courier was shot down. Of course, it's only a fragment, and they can't use it to find the Treasure Ship. The last record is of the distress beacon being picked up at The Wheel station, though...
If they make good with the crime lord by turning in the thief, he can offer to fund their expedition for a share.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Is there any common guidance on ideal ratios of credits (or junk with equivalent value) to XP awarded? The table for additional starting obligation implies that 5 XP equates to a little over 1000 credits, but that seems like it might be a bit high at first glance.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Vanguard Warden posted:

Is there any common guidance on ideal ratios of credits (or junk with equivalent value) to XP awarded? The table for additional starting obligation implies that 5 XP equates to a little over 1000 credits, but that seems like it might be a bit high at first glance.

I'm not sure if there is a right answer, but that probably isn't it. It really depends on the type of adventure I think. I know we rolled through a lot more credits in Edge... partially because of shady dealings but mostly because if we assaulted an enemy ship we kept it for ourselves (to use or sell). In our Age campaign we are relatively poor because we're not spending most of our time trying to make a buck and the most valuable stuff we find goes to support the Rebellion, as opposed to our wallets.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah not giving good guidelines for cash and xp rewards are one of the only flaws of the game imo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Played the EotE Beginner Game today, with some time issues. We ended up skipping the Stormtrooper encounter as well as the encounter with Trex, and just do a quick space combat, which was pretty bland.
Overall they liked it, with the space combat being the major complaint (which yeah we had to rush and they had no talents or anything to spice it up so it was just "I uh do the thing to hit it easier" "Ok TIE hits you for 6" "I shoot the TIE"). From what I've read in the rules, space combat has more variance, right? With pilot skills and more options I think it would be indeed interesting (and for a Star Wars system, I don't think I'd have heard good stuff about it if it wasn't at least decent). Is there anything to know before GMing space combat for real?

Iceclaw posted:

Yeah not giving good guidelines for cash and xp rewards are one of the only flaws of the game imo.

Doesn't the game give XP guidelines normally? 10 XP per session, plus... 5? I think for playing to your motivation, and some scraps for RP?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Force Awakens Beginner Box follow up: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/13/a-call-for-heroes/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Serperoth posted:

Played the EotE Beginner Game today, with some time issues. We ended up skipping the Stormtrooper encounter as well as the encounter with Trex, and just do a quick space combat, which was pretty bland.
Overall they liked it, with the space combat being the major complaint (which yeah we had to rush and they had no talents or anything to spice it up so it was just "I uh do the thing to hit it easier" "Ok TIE hits you for 6" "I shoot the TIE"). From what I've read in the rules, space combat has more variance, right? With pilot skills and more options I think it would be indeed interesting (and for a Star Wars system, I don't think I'd have heard good stuff about it if it wasn't at least decent). Is there anything to know before GMing space combat for real?

Doesn't the game give XP guidelines normally? 10 XP per session, plus... 5? I think for playing to your motivation, and some scraps for RP?

Space combat in general isn't great in this system, but I suppose it has its fans. Personally I don't care for it.

But if the game had some time issues, why not just pick up where you left off in a second session instead of rushing through things and risk not having any fun / having problems?

Basically you're right on the XP. 10 per session as a baseline, with discretional 5 for motivation and roleplay.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

Space combat in general isn't great in this system, but I suppose it has its fans. Personally I don't care for it.

But if the game had some time issues, why not just pick up where you left off in a second session instead of rushing through things and risk not having any fun / having problems?

Huh, I'll see what I can do for when we get to it then, bummer about that.

And we mostly used it as a tutorial to get used to the skill checks and narrative situations the like, rather than a full-on Session 0/1.
If we end up running EotE, I think we might re-run it as a start, but we'll see when we get to that. Folks seem to be leaning towards FaD, or at least they asked for a more Force-y thing (which is understandable), so I'll talk it over with them and see how things fold out and what we'll end up playing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, space combat is supposed to be quick and brutal which is why it's so light. I think if space combat is going to be routine you should probably spruce things up by giving piloting skill more importance. RAW, turreted ships with dedicated gunners poo poo all over single seat fighters which might be fun for a smuggling campaign but not so good for a group of fighter jockeys.

I like to grab the X-wing stuff to help visualize positions.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Just play out all space combats as improvised games of X-Wing

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Just play out all space combats as improvised games of X-Wing

Nah, i tried it and it came out too clunky and didnt really use the character skills like i wanted.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Panzeh posted:

Nah, i tried it and it came out too clunky and didnt really use the character skills like i wanted.

Yeah, I haven't actually tried it and while it seems cool it also seems like it would be tricky to get it to work. I think you'd probably need a fairly elaborate set of houserules to get all of the RPG mechanics to appear in x-wing appropriately.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Yeah, I haven't actually tried it and while it seems cool it also seems like it would be tricky to get it to work. I think you'd probably need a fairly elaborate set of houserules to get all of the RPG mechanics to appear in x-wing appropriately.

They probably should have released a set of rules for adapting SWRPG characters to X-Wing. Like, "(Characteristic -1)+ Skill= Pilot Skill" and a set of attachments and promotions for thresholds of Astrogation and Gunnery and certain talents.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

homullus posted:

They probably should have released a set of rules for adapting SWRPG characters to X-Wing. Like, "(Characteristic -1)+ Skill= Pilot Skill" and a set of attachments and promotions for thresholds of Astrogation and Gunnery and certain talents.

Isn't that exactly what they did? I know they released some sort of official guide on how to use X-Wing for space encounters in SWRPG, but I've never looked at it.

Make SWRPG and X-Wing more like Battletech :spergin:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Drone posted:

Isn't that exactly what they did? I know they released some sort of official guide on how to use X-Wing for space encounters in SWRPG, but I've never looked at it.

The only thing I remember is this, which is "hey, maybe put them all in one ship, it will require extra work [which this article won't help with], GM is the final arbiter, good luck!"

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm fairly well disposed towards the space combat rules since they're good about giving everyone in a group something they can do, and the fact that the system doesn't have any skills that you can't roll on without skill ranks means that no player's stuck with 'Well I didn't take <skill> so there's nothing I can do for this entire encounter...' It has its flaws but then so does pretty much any multi-crew vehicular combat system I've ever seen and it at least manages to dodge the worst pitfalls.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Most of the EotE->X-Wing conversions I've seen online lean towards just using the miniatures as a visual element, with the pilot choosing an X-Wing movement template based on the ship's current speed whenever they do a "Fly/Drive" maneuver. For the range bands, Close is X-Wing Range 3 or less, Short is everything on the table beyond X-Wing Range 3, and Medium+ is off the table. Everything else is vanilla EotE rules.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Moose King posted:

Most of the EotE->X-Wing conversions I've seen online lean towards just using the miniatures as a visual element, with the pilot choosing an X-Wing movement template based on the ship's current speed whenever they do a "Fly/Drive" maneuver. For the range bands, Close is X-Wing Range 3 or less, Short is everything on the table beyond X-Wing Range 3, and Medium+ is off the table. Everything else is vanilla EotE rules.

I just really use the x-wing minis to show relative positions and let people make piloting checks to move to some other position relative(e.g. to try to get in behind a tie fighter), adding challenge dice if they want to do something more difficult. Most of the other stuff is a bit much for my players.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Drone posted:

Make SWRPG and X-Wing more like Battletech :spergin:

Maybe its this one I keep linking every time this topic comes up:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uRqpFZHiISi5yiP0xD6tbbiiHdoC1W6Ld8HvNLOexV0/edit?usp=sharing

I wrote it for my group because we are all big x-wing fans but you need to understand that using x-wing should be for big set piece battles imo. This rules conversion lets you convert your character to an x-wing pilot card pretty easily and provides a talent tree which will load your ship up with extra Elite Pilot Talents, Pilot Talents and stat boosts and your standard dedication at the bottom of the tree. Additionally the game is about playing cool space heroes so any named character who jumps in a ship inherently gets some bonus health to try and minimize one hit kills dropping people.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Serperoth posted:

From what I've read in the rules, space combat has more variance, right? With pilot skills and more options I think it would be indeed interesting (and for a Star Wars system, I don't think I'd have heard good stuff about it if it wasn't at least decent). Is there anything to know before GMing space combat for real?

It does have a lot more variance but this doesnt necessarily mean its brilliant. Its serviceable to a shitload of fun if you are actually playing a Smuggler/Pilot or Ace/Pilot or Gunner. I found this Space Action sheet (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5kOH158hDlVcGpJcjhzRm9vSVk) on the ffg forums and its genuinely made space combat a god send. The goal of space combat for a crew on one ship is to funnel bonuses to whatever job is deemed most important, be it shooting down a TIE Fighter or Piloting through an asteroid. This is especially true if none of the party is actually got any talents or skills to really shift a fight on their own. Remember that in the Star Wars FFG you can trade 2 advantages from a check to give anyone a blue dice to their next action. When you have 4 people on a ship you generally want to all find something to do (pretty much anyone who is not just a 100% brawn character has something they can try) and throw all those bonus advantages to the 'one important role' guy. On top of that you can also assist as a manuever so worst case scenario a crew of 4 all turns around 4+ blue dice to the gunner/gunners for their big attack.

The biggest problem is that when you are a big crew ship fighting against TIE Fighters you generally are acting passively. Whoever is piloting is certainly helping the crew but hes not actually rolling or doing much with that skill. He chooses if the ship is going to Evade or Stay on Target and then thats kinda it unless he has talents. Maybe he redirects shields or trys to boost them if there is no tech character on board but unless he has a destination point to actually go to or some kind of obstacle to maneuver around (be it an asteroid field or flying through a city street) hes not really doing much. The TIE Fighter on the other hand is constantly trying to push himself and 'Gain the Advantage' which lets them ignore enemy evasive actions AND pick which section of a ship they are shooting at (i.e. it lets them pick the section of a ship with no/fewer shields). Fighters swarming over big prey or fighter vs fighter is a tense and exciting duel though everyone is extremely fragile (I would even advise small ships get given some bonus health if a player or named npc is flying them, I use +Agility as just a little extra buffer so the fight isnt over in one salvo).

Theres lots of stuff to do especially if you start including different types of enemies usually. A TIE Fighter is your stock standard goblin to use a D&D comparison. They dont do anything, swarms of them will take you down but they dont do anything special on themselves. Usually you want some TIE Fighters + TIE Bombers as a basic interesting fight, Bombers shoot torpedos at you meaning you have a ticking clock to deal with the missiles before they hit in a couple of rounds for the tech and/or gunnery character to shoot them off.

Ultimately the space combat is just serviceable though which unfortunately is way way way better than most systems. As someone playing in a Saga Edition game at the moment, holy poo poo is EotE a more sensible version of it and it doesnt make me want to tear my eyes out when my attacks do 4d10x6 or something stupid and a TIE Fighter takes a million hits to kill.

One big thing to note is that ships have speeds. Ignore this poo poo, assume every ship is going max speed all the time and only use speed rules if you are in a chase scene or you specifically are trying to see if you can keep a distance from something. This rarely comes up though as TIEs are super fast and can outrun anything thats not an A-wing.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 14, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, ship combat needs some terrain to spice it up, the surface of a planet/moon, a busy shipping lane, an asteroid belt/comet tail, something.

And yeah some of the ship speeds are kinda dumb, considering both A New Hope and Empire Strikes back showed that Star Destroyers are fast enough to keep up with (or run down) the Falcon.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, ship combat needs some terrain to spice it up, the surface of a planet/moon, a busy shipping lane, an asteroid belt/comet tail, something.

And yeah some of the ship speeds are kinda dumb, considering both A New Hope and Empire Strikes back showed that Star Destroyers are fast enough to keep up with (or run down) the Falcon.

I mean, a Star Destroyer can definitely keep up with the Falcon, theres only 1 speed difference and its not enough to have the thing outrun the other, especially if Vader's Star Destroyer Pilot has the Full Throttle Talent to let him match the Falcon's speed. The idea that Han can do this too is probably what makes him and the Falcon something he can brag about outrunning imperial ships. Either way the ships will all be in speed 2-4 so its the same movement speed for all mechanical purposes.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 14, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bounty Hunter book finally!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/14/no-disintegrations/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I really hope the first weapon listed in that book is one that disintegrates people.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I need some help working out how to build the dice pool for force abilities with magnitude upgrades that target multiple people. Do you declare the addition targets before you build the pool or can you just target one guy, make the roll and pay the force points to basically damage others without an additional roll?

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Any word on what species might be in it?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

jivjov posted:

I really hope the first weapon listed in that book is one that disintegrates people.

Pretty sure those are disrupters, which are in the main book. Not a bad first speciality given, makes sense for BHs to have a vehicle pursuit class, and investigation ideas work for a lot more than just BH games.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MadDogMike posted:

Pretty sure those are disrupters, which are in the main book. Not a bad first speciality given, makes sense for BHs to have a vehicle pursuit class, and investigation ideas work for a lot more than just BH games.

Oh I know we already have disintegrate-y weapons...I just want another one here, just to make the title ironic

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Those are pretty good, especially the bit about the speeds and even more so the action sheet, I'll need to print that out and have it on hand when ship stuff happens.

I presume that the Speed difference still matters for Gain The Advantage right? Or anything else that cares about that difference, it's just presumed that current speed = max speed? Any specific house rules about other Speed-relevant things?
(Also I see Astromech actions there. Are those in a supplement or am I missing something?)

This is gonna be rad for us, two people have expressed interest in being a bounty hunter. Maybe it'll help avoid the work of making a Jedi campaign :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mechayahiko posted:

I need some help working out how to build the dice pool for force abilities with magnitude upgrades that target multiple people. Do you declare the addition targets before you build the pool or can you just target one guy, make the roll and pay the force points to basically damage others without an additional roll?

I think you make the roll, then spend power for the various upgrades.

The only acceptable title.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sweet harpoon-based action in Force and Destiny last night.

Second session in. Player-characters are a murder-wookiee (though he's an Armorer rather than one of the more traditional murder-wookiee specs), a human drifter with Assassin/Force-Sensitive Exile, and a cerean Mystic.

After a few prologue one-shots, everybody ends up on a water-planet where they have to run odd jobs to stay solvent. It's a corporate world where the workforce is monopolized by a single large industrial firm and prices on everything are drastically inflated, in the style of old-timey Company Towns. Money is at a premium.

The party ends up aboard a ramshackle fishing/delivery boat, being pursued across the high seas by a much larger ship full of pirates. They've been promised 1,000 credits each to help complete a delivery. Their only armaments are makeshift hand weapons, a slugthrower revolver and a couple of harpoon guns mounted to the gunwales of their ship, a trimaran.

The pirates aren't actually pirates, but are instead company-sponsored privateers. They're chasing the captain of the fishing ship, a secret Rebel. The party doesn't know about this.

The item they're delivering is a mysterious force-artifact. The party does know about this, mostly because they get severe headaches whenever they go near it.

Over the first few minutes of combat, the pirates try and fail to disable the fishing ship using inaccurate chemical-fueled rockets and slugthrowers. An allied crewmember snipes two pirate gunners off the roof of their cabin with a harpoon gun, disabling their main heavy artillery.

The wookiee discovers and activates the fishing ship's hidden secondary engines and hydrofoil vanes (which it has due to being a secret rebel courier), allowing them to pull ahead.

The human finds a few grenades stashed belowdecks, lengthens their timers, and tapes them to some spare harpoons. These are loaded into the harpoon-guns.

The pirates ready the last weapon in their arsenal, a heavy homing-harpoon fired from an electromagnetic rail.

Melee-equipped pirates prepare to zipline across the harpoon line and onto the fishing ship.

The cerean grabs a grenade from the human, jumps onto one of the fishing ship's pontoon outriggers, plants the grenade, and jumps back onto the main hull. The grenade blasts the pontoon away from the main hull just as the pirates fire their special harpoon. The harpoon's homing system gets mixed up, and it thuds into the loose pontoon instead of the fishing ship itself.

The pirates zipline across and land on the free-floating pontoon. This wasn't the intended target, but it does get them closer to the fishing ship than they were before, so they start hosing it with fire from their handguns.

The wookiee wheels around to shoot at them with one of the fishing ship's own harpoon guns, which now has a grenade attached to it. An allied crewmember wanders over to help steady his aim. The wookiee fires.

He rolls 1 success and 6 threat.

The grenade-harpoon thunks into the pontoon, but the wookiee hasn't properly detached the cable-winch from it. The cable immediately snaps taut, mangles the friendly crewmember, and starts tugging the fishing ship back toward the pontoon.

The pontoon now has a live explosive attached to it, and is still connected to the pirate ship via their own cable.

The human has to leap over the gunwales to cut the cable, exposing himself to a volley of fire and taking a couple of bullets. The cable drops free and the fishing ship is able to pull away from the pontoon just as it explodes, blowing the would-be boarders to bits.

tl;dr: this game is rad and good players are rad.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 14, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PupsOfWar posted:

He rolls 1 success and 6 threat.
These really are the best kinds of roll

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

Its a wrist mounted net launcher that electrocutes people, mark my words. I just want some goddamn armour attachment weapons.

Splicer posted:

These really are the best kinds of roll

Unironically the best result for everyone.

Serperoth posted:

Those are pretty good, especially the bit about the speeds and even more so the action sheet, I'll need to print that out and have it on hand when ship stuff happens.

I presume that the Speed difference still matters for Gain The Advantage right? Or anything else that cares about that difference, it's just presumed that current speed = max speed? Any specific house rules about other Speed-relevant things?
(Also I see Astromech actions there. Are those in a supplement or am I missing something?)

Yeah exactly, just purely treat it like they are always flying at max speed for those values so you are only looking at speed as a 'stat' and not like a changing variable the players need to keep advancing. We found that there was literally no reason to not just do loops at max range until you were sped up properly so gently caress it.

Astromechs I think are from Special Modifications or maybe the creators houserules idk (correct me if im wrong people) but the simple rules are good and cool and really make those handful of ships with an astromech slot and is genuinely pretty nice to have in case you get into any Luke + R2 buddy situations or better yet Chopper + Hera teamups.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 15, 2016

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
Hey dudes - I might be joining an in-progress EotE game in a couple of weeks and wanted to run my concept by you guys. I've never played EotE or any Star Wars FFG game before, and the GM has told me that the players will have been awarded 140XP by the time I join, and that's what I should build to.

The GM has also told me that he's going to start introducing the Rebellion into his game, and asked me to come up with a concept that integrates my character being a secret Rebel agent.

With that in mind, I had the idea to play an aging soldier who was drafted into his planetary defense force during the Clone Wars at a young age. After the Empire wins the war, he sees what tyranny looks like on his diverse planet and how oppressive the Empire is to aliens, he uses his veteran status to become a senator, but is frustrated by how impotent the Imperial Senate actually is. His experience in the Clone Wars and his (limited) political contacts have led him to like-minded individuals who have introduced him to some fledgling rebellion "leaders"

Mechanically, I was looking at getting the [Improved] Field Commander, and [Supreme] Inspiring Rhetoric so I can help the other PC's heal off strain and hand out maneuvers in combat. I also want to make sure I have Brawl or Melee and both Ranged skills.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make a "squad leader" type that hands out buffs to other characters while also being able to fight decently competently?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Red Hood posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make a "squad leader" type that hands out buffs to other characters while also being able to fight decently competently?

The Commander Career with Squad Leader Specialization is probably up your alley lol.

EDIT: You get ranged (light) so you're handy with a blaster pistol and you buff people a bunch with all your talents. Maybe couple with Diplomat/Ambassador if you specifically want those talents you mentioned as those two careers will compliment eachother and work off basically the same stats so you are not spreading out too hard there.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 15, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I wouldn't recommend Squadron Leader unless you want to be a bit vehicle-oriented. If you're looking to be more boots-on-the-ground, I'd go with a Commander (Tactician) for Ranged (Heavy) as a career skill, among other bonuses. Either way, you should grab Diplomat (Ambassador) as a second tree, because it's one of only two trees that get Supreme Inspiring Rhetoric. The only other one with it is Colonist (Politico), and that's split more evenly between Leadership and Coercion.

For attributes, you'd want decent Presence for Leadership, and decent Agility for shooting people. Brawn is nice for taking damage, but you don't need it too badly unless you're planning to club people to death.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

I wouldn't recommend Squadron Leader unless you want to be a bit vehicle-oriented. If you're looking to be more boots-on-the-ground, I'd go with a Commander (Tactician) for Ranged (Heavy) as a career skill, among other bonuses. Either way, you should grab Diplomat (Ambassador) as a second tree, because it's one of only two trees that get Supreme Inspiring Rhetoric. The only other one with it is Colonist (Politico), and that's split more evenly between Leadership and Coercion.

For attributes, you'd want decent Presence for Leadership, and decent Agility for shooting people. Brawn is nice for taking damage, but you don't need it too badly unless you're planning to club people to death.

Ah poo poo yeah you're right, Tactician has Field Commander too doesnt it. Thats basically your go to top commander type talent so Tactician + Ambassador will be a great combo.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
You guys are awesome, thanks.

Minor snag, my GM wants me only to use careers from the EotE sourcebooks for some reason. He's a good dude and I like his games, so I didn't want to argue with him. It probably has something to do with one of this other players being really awful about RPG's (and games in general). This other player whines when players have different options than he does, and also tries to cobble together nonsensical munchkin-esque options to "be the best" as he puts it. This isn't the cat-piss thread so I'll stop there about this guy.

Anyway, using EotE sourcebooks, I found that Mercenary Soldier and, as mentioned by Vanguard Warden, Politico still meet what I want to do with the class, getting both of the talents I like the look of. After doing some reading, it seems the most common question about character creation from new players is the "should I spend all my XP on stats?"; I feel like having a 3 in Presence and Agility is the necessity, but I like the idea of being "well rounded" in the stat department so I never feel useless.

Also: I was looking at races, and didn't see any that really stood out to me. I liked the Togruta for the double white die assist, but it's not in an EotE sourcebook so I'm not sure it'd fly. In general, is there a race that makes for a better "leader" than the others?

Thanks again for all your help, feeling good about my concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Spend as much xp on characteristics at start as you can; they're much harder to get later than skills and talents.