Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Kashuno posted:

Okay I have been playing a lot of Lucio all the time and can someone tell me when I should play mercy instead because this feels seriously oppressive

I don't play a lot of her but I imagine keeping multiple high health tanks alive from burst damage is much easier with mercy cause lucio just doesn't have the throughput

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Venuz Patrol posted:

mercy is best in situations where the time it takes to get from spawn to the objective is much longer for one team than the other. shes quite nice for point a defense and last stretch offense on many maps.

This lines up with my experience as well. Lucio is great at facilitating big pushes with speed boost/sound barrier and giving people that extra health they need to stay alive long enough to pull out a win, but Mercy is better when things become a game of attrition because she can practically make someone unkillable in a 1v1 and her rez is, well, a rez, but more importantly it circumvents that moment of "okay now we have to walk all the way back from spawn, in the meantime they'll have killed the rest of us and now we're staggered."

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I finished my placement matches and got 2541 is this good y/n

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any pro-level Junkrat tips, other than spamming choke points? He is one of my weaker characters and I'd like to get a little better at him.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I feel like the format of overwatch is especially negative for snipers

It'd work great for a railgun-type weapon.

No headshots but no scoping/slowdown.

I guess thats kind of McCree though. Every day I hate that character more and more.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hughmoris posted:

Any pro-level Junkrat tips, other than spamming choke points? He is one of my weaker characters and I'd like to get a little better at him.

I'm not a pro Junkrat but the keys seem to be:

1). Find where the enemy is going to come from and spam the poo poo out of them. Goes without saying but this is like Junkrat's number one thing, you should almost never not be firing. Look for high ground if you can. Eichenbrawl is good for practicing this since you've got a lot of high ground in the middle section to play with.

2). Your concussion mine is your most versatile and useful tool. It lets you put out big burst damage when you need it, but it's also a good escape tool. If Genji or Winston dive on you for instance toss the mine and instantly detonate it and it'll both damage them and propel you away from them. Get used to this and be ready to shoot at them from the air when it happens.

3). Always be using your trap. Don't worry about setting it up at the perfect doorway or whatever, put it somewhere it can watch your back, stick it near the payload, in a 1v1 scenario just toss it in front of you, it's a handy piece of kit that often gets overlooked. The whole "stick a trap down with a mine near it" combo doesn't work as well as it used to since people are more used to keeping an eye out for mines lying around, but you don't need the mine to make the trap pull its weight.

4). Junkrat's ultimate is less about scoring big multi-kills and more about making people suddenly have to worry about where the tire is coming from in addition to everything else. It's not very useful to use it when there isn't a big chaotic fight going on because people will have less trouble spotting it and destroying it, but when everyone's in a big brawl on the objective and you use it then it can be just enough of a menace to either distract the enemy team long enough for your team to get the advantage or you can slip it in and get some kills with it. It charges fast enough that you don't really have to be sparing with it though, and getting even a single kill with it is decent, especially if you use it to blow up someone like an enemy tank or support. Part of using it is finding a good place to launch it from so you won't instantly be spotted and killed, but also where it's not going to be instantly seen and destroyed. Letting it idle against a wall reduces the volume of noise it makes so you can use that to try and confuse people as to where it's coming from. Remember that it'll pass through Reinhardt and Winston shields but Zarya can take it on the chin if she has a barrier ready.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Pro Junkrat tip: don't be afraid to switch to a good character if your team is losing

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Main Paineframe posted:

Pro Junkrat tip: don't be afraid to switch to a good character if your team is losing

Here's a video that actually shows both sides of this equation. Eichenwalde attack and defense, on the defense round he goes Junkrat and honestly does good work, then on attack he gets quickly shut down twice and decides he'd be better off going as another character and it works out well.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not a pro Junkrat but the keys seem to be...

Thanks for the write-up. Just played a few rounds with him and am doing ok. I think the biggest thing is to get the timing of my shots down to increase my direct hits.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the write-up. Just played a few rounds with him and am doing ok. I think the biggest thing is to get the timing of my shots down to increase my direct hits.

Yep, one direct hit and you can kill a 200 hp hero with the mine easily.

Also work on learning some angles to bounce grenades. It makes you area coverage and range a lot longer.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, you can be at some very obscure and distant angles to the chokepoint you're spamming and it will make you safe and effective. One that I learned from Seagull is the left side of Point B on Anubis; if you're defense you can sit in that corridor and shoot a palm tree and bounce grenades outside of the center arch.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I would prefer a hanzo to a widow because at least hanzo has a "GO NOW" button for an ult, whereas widow's is great utility but unless I'm playing with 5 other people on comms it's basically useless.

hanzo's a lot better and more consistent than widow. hell, he was even before he got buffed

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Hughmoris posted:

Not a pro by any stretch, but I've been having better performance as Junkrat than other heroes.

-Concussion mine is a great escape tool, and if you get really good can be used to make very effective maneuvers. Sometimes I'll save it for escaping rather than just plain offense because I noticed that when up against other :corsair: players like myself, bouncing out of the enemy's FOV can allow them to be distracted by other enemies on the ground and safely escape/re-engage.

-Get accustomed to the blast radius of it because I've killed Pharas in midair simply by lobbing into the air and setting it off near them.

-Like others said, always lay down a trap. If on/near the point, I like to fight near by trap to snare sneaky Reapers. The trap can guarantee easy revenge kills when fighting close range when an enemy gets snared right when they kill you, allowing all your dropped grenades to kill them back. Another fun trick I'll do is to lay down a trap and goad a Reinhart into charging me, since the trap stops him dead in his tracks.

-I find Junkrat particularly fun on Ilios because there's plenty of places you can knock people into pits with concussion mine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kai Tave posted:

This plus there's a lot of mythologizing surrounding FPS snipers and how they're the province of the best of the best of the best, which naturally attracts a certain sort of person. The amount of hilarious bitching following the Widowmaker nerfs was full of people declaring that Overwatch was ruined forever now that they couldn't quickscope and how Blizzard should obviously just leave balance decisions up to Top 500 players (y'know, the elite) instead of catering to the, ugh, silvers.

Balancing for top 500 players was exactly what motivated the Widowmaker change, though.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Does anyone know how the rank distribution works? Like it's 1-5000 so is someone who's ~2500 the median rank overall? Or is it weighted for more players in bronze, silver, gold, etc. and less at diamond and master/grandmaster?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

Does anyone know how the rank distribution works? Like it's 1-5000 so is someone who's ~2500 the median rank overall? Or is it weighted for more players in bronze, silver, gold, etc. and less at diamond and master/grandmaster?

we don't know how it works out exactly since we can't see where everyone falls, but masteroverwatch seems to imply that it's about the same as it was in the first season. on that site's leaderboard, most of the players fell pretty close to 50 in season 1 and currently it's about 2500 in season 2. however, stat sites like these only represent a fraction of the population; the overwatch dev team said the true average was closer to 40 iirc, so I'd guess that right now it'd fall within the gold range

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
They should tell players at least which % each tier represents, i.e. Bronze is 0-X% Silver is X% to Y% etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they probably want to avoid half of the game's ranked population from feeling like garbage for placing in the bottom half

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I highly doubt half the games population have ever looked up any kind of info about competitive after buying the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

I highly doubt half the games population have ever looked up any kind of info about competitive after buying the game.

Manatee Cannon posted:

they probably want to avoid half of the game's ranked population from feeling like garbage for placing in the bottom half

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Abusive language again oh man I must be just the worst! Don't play heroes people don't like because that's against the rules.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 12, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I loving hate playing against a Mei who can get ults up constantly. I know there are plenty of ways to beat her but it's just so frustrating sometimes, drat.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Duck and Cover posted:

Abusive language again oh man I must be just the worst! Don't play heroes people don't like because that's against the rules.

yea it was def your hero choice and not your choice of words

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

I'm glad we agree.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm trying to be more versatile by familiarizing myself with more heroes, because I seem to rely heavily on Junrat, D.va and Mercy. Rheinhart seems like a very important guy to play but because I have virtually no experience with him I'm afraid if I get talked into using him I'll be terrible and cost the team the game. Any tips to get better with him? ]

Ditto on Ana. I tried her a few games on a lark and did absolutely terrible. Allies kept darting out of the way when I tried to heal them, nobody was where I needed them to be, etc. I get the sense she's one of those supports that really needs a very coordinated team to shine.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

But Not Tonight posted:

You are ignorant.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Balancing for top 500 players was exactly what motivated the Widowmaker change, though.

I mean it was kind of both. Remember that the example they cherry-picked for why they removed the Avoid Player feature was a really good Widowmaker player who kept getting avoided because, well, nobody wanted to play against him because playing against a good Widowmaker unless you were an equally good Widowmaker or better sucked for a whole lot of people. Remember that whole "unfun" argument that led to things like Defense Matrix and Genji nerfs is also what precipitated the Widowmaker nerfs, I think the term they used was "frustrating to play against" or something. It also happened to be that Widowmaker was a mainstay of pro play for a while as really good hitscan snipers could turn entire matches into a shooting gallery and a lot of games turned into "which team can achieve Widowmaker superiority first," so it was a change that both levels of play happened to agree on except for the contingent of people who fetishize snipers in FPS games as some hallowed elite paragon of skill despite generally not being pros themselves...I don't actually recall too many legit pro players writing condescending essays on why Blizzard raped Widowmaker and tossed her violated corpse down a well, as one person on Battlenet put it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Way too many people want to be snipers, yet there's never been a dedicated sniper-game that's done well. That given Sniper Addiction has been around since forever. TFC hundreds of maps dedicated to just sniping.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I'm trying to be more versatile by familiarizing myself with more heroes, because I seem to rely heavily on Junrat, D.va and Mercy. Rheinhart seems like a very important guy to play but because I have virtually no experience with him I'm afraid if I get talked into using him I'll be terrible and cost the team the game. Any tips to get better with him?
Same. I rely way too heavily on being decent (I hope) at Pharah and Zarya while being able to use Zenyatta's orbs successfully. A good enemy Rein is a terror though, and I'd like to be better at that. And thanks to some tips here, I'm much better at using Lucio competently and switching between speed and healing, boosting through chokes, etc. Now I just need to be better at wallriding and I might actually have a wide selection of characters I'm decent at.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

hhhat posted:

How much playtime in QP do I need to do Zen and Lucio or Mercy so I can be useful sometimes in comp and suck it up and play support when nobody does?

At this point I'm like 'I don't play them, so if I switch, we'll just lose'

But I feel bad that I'm that guy who only plays shootmans always

Okay so I'm a bad player mostly but no good players answered you, so take this with a grain of salt.

For Mercy, you're really just there to heal, boost and stay alive, you can pick up the first two pretty quickly probably. The nuance is knowing where to position yourself on various matches so that you're not killed and can still heal and boost. In general you should only be fighting if there isn't a teammate around to boost, but picking off charging Reinhardts and D.Vas (who didn't put their matrix up) or overextended Lucios sometimes really helps, and your gun is good enough that if you need to contest a point for an overextended team that will fall back once they notice something on their point you can usually at least force the opponent to work for the point. But your priority should generally be being alive especially if you got ult.

I don't really know what the baseline for contributing is for the other healers but Overbuff has the median around 10 for Zen and Lucio and 6 for Ana.

E: I guess from a personal standpoint, with Lucio, I feel like if I have 2.5K+ heals and 10+ elims my team is gonna win. Zen for me is almost always a switch-to character for me so I have less of a vague grasp of what stats he should have but usually it's multiple Winstons or one really good Winston becoming a non-factor, or my team broke through that nest of Bastions/Torb turrets that speed boosting wasn't getting them past.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 12, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

But Not Tonight posted:

Brannock posted:

I've played a bunch with Duck and Cover and I can safely say he was never abusive, just extremely chatty and inane

A lot of uptight players would find him annoying, though, and between that and his Torbjörn play I can see why he gets reported

I totally understand why people aren't inclined to believe him though, and if I hadn't played with him enough to see how he behaves, I wouldn't believe him either

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Way too many people want to be snipers, yet there's never been a dedicated sniper-game that's done well. That given Sniper Addiction has been around since forever. TFC hundreds of maps dedicated to just sniping.

Vanilla COD4 with just 2-4 people on maps designed for 8-16 is pretty good for this.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

transcripts, please

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I got silenced again and i kinda deserved it.

I wasn't wrong, but I was totally a dick about the way I was saying it. A lot of it was back and forth, but I guess they consider ANY profanity or sarcasm as toxic :shrug:

2016-09-11 03:42:51 reaper holy poo poo dude
2016-09-10 15:26:09 gently caress
2016-09-10 15:05:28 fuckin phrah man
2016-09-10 15:05:34 rude. As. gently caress
2016-09-10 06:47:42 you aer loving welcome
2016-09-09 15:56:19 well poo poo
2016-09-07 04:42:24 it wasn't until we were up against hte wall that poo poo happened
2016-09-07 04:47:14 mopnk use your loving ult
2016-09-11 03:59:24 before you take the fuckin hint

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I got silenced again and i kinda deserved it.

I wasn't wrong, but I was totally a dick about the way I was saying it. A lot of it was back and forth, but I guess they consider ANY profanity or sarcasm as toxic :shrug:

2016-09-11 03:42:51 reaper holy poo poo dude
2016-09-10 15:26:09 gently caress
2016-09-10 15:05:28 fuckin phrah man
2016-09-10 15:05:34 rude. As. gently caress
2016-09-10 06:47:42 you aer loving welcome
2016-09-09 15:56:19 well poo poo
2016-09-07 04:42:24 it wasn't until we were up against hte wall that poo poo happened
2016-09-07 04:47:14 mopnk use your loving ult
2016-09-11 03:59:24 before you take the fuckin hint

Oh no profanity!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Willie Tomg posted:

transcripts, please

Blizzard rarely provides them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Verranicus posted:

Blizzard rarely provides them.

Except when they do, and it turns out that the toxic dude who insists he got muted for nothing at all was actually ... being really toxic.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Jabor posted:

Except when they do, and it turns out that the toxic dude who insists he got muted for nothing at all was actually ... being really toxic.

I'm sure it happens, but they also straight up don't, like when I asked and was given nothing and my ticket closed.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

holy gently caress you were silenced temporarily in a video game not given the scarlet letter, get over it already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you could silence me and i would legit not notice

only flames ive been involved in was one yesterday with a korean stack on my team. i picked hanzo because im poo poo and they chatted over the mic a bit about "HANJO", shifting into english ("HANJO, CHANGE") and I ignored them. at the end of the round we lost but i had gold elims so i decided to be a bit of a poo poo when i heard them chatter on the mic again about HANJO

"11 elims also those one islands totally belong to japan and not korea"

they were quiet, then one guy on the mic opened it, sat there for around ten seconds, then just said in a thick accent "Hanjo... your mother"

i sent then a <3 because i love them, they were the best