Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Crush your balls or have a retard-themed orgy?

Sounds leftist. Or Herz-Jesu-Marxist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cat Mattress posted:

♪ Everyone's a little bit fascist, sometimes ♫

sometimes I'm a lot fascist

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurtofan posted:

because all the whites of Saint-Domingue were slaveholders.

Grand blancs (the slaveholding minority, most of them didn't take roots on the island and managed their plantations from France) =/= Petit blancs (merchants, indentured servants etc... who were long time residents).

Freedmen and free coloureds also had slaves, but lived in the colony, contrary to the grand blancs.

if anything they killed too few whites

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The problem are the drat machines, they gonna take all our jobs and kill our middle class

smash all your machines to stop it from happening

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

That too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mans posted:

easy to say for a Portuguese

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

The funny thing is how lackluster they were about it until Dessalines would personally visit their city to give them a pep talk and get their numbers up, like Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

We can do both.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Whatever happened to deflecting all blame on Amerikka instead, that was much cooler.

america's the only reason the EU exists in the first place, plus it's somehow consistently more left wing than the angry bankers who run Germany

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

icantfindaname posted:

america's the only reason the EU exists in the first place, plus it's somehow consistently more left wing than the angry bankers who run Germany

Are you making GBS threads me

Remember the time Volkswagen got run out of Tennessee (?) because VW insisted on providing their employees with unionized power and benefits the state government deemed unacceptable? Germany is one of the remaining welfare states, maybe in a reduced capacity, but is still doing better than pretty much any other place on this god forsaken planet.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Remember the time Volkswagen got run out of Tennessee (?) because VW insisted on providing their employees with unionized power and benefits the state government deemed unacceptable? Germany is one of the remaining welfare states, maybe in a reduced capacity, but is still doing better than pretty much any other place on this god forsaken planet.

Let me be the first one to apologize for sullying the German honour,.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Friendly Humour posted:

Let me be the first one to apologize for sullying the German honour,.

I didn't know this thread was for talking about our political fan fiction rather than about reality. I'll get on with the program from now on and refrain from posting anything substantial.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Germany has a long tradition of co-determination: representatives of the workers have a strong voice in how the company does its business. This means that German companies do okay with unions, and in fact kinda rely on them to exist. The deal is that with workers being on board, workers are more willing to consent to the occasional sacrifices if it's truly what's best for the company. Workers won't protest a decision they made themselves.

In many other countries, the USA included, there isn't this same attempt at including workers in the affairs of the company, so the relationship between the bosses and the workers is more antagonistic. Unions have largely been demonized so as to make them less attractive to workers to prevent them from being effective.

But it doesn't change that Germany has completely embraced the Chicago school of economics wrt. finance and welfare; and has under Schröder decided that the future should belong to temporary, underpaid, precarious "minijobs" -- instead of the old school, stable, well-paid long term jobs in co-determined enterprises.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
one more dead for the nice attacks, 37 days after the attack, i shudder to think what kind of state he was in.

If I find myself in a terror attack and can't survive, please let me be among the dead and not the "wounded".

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

We'll do our best but no promises, it's an inherently imprecise business.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Doc Hawkins posted:

We'll do our best but no promises, it's an inherently imprecise business.

thank u

anyone of you is allowed to shoot me in my hospital bed

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

thank u

anyone of you is allowed to shoot me in my hospital bed

I'd be happy to help but unfortunately the EU is trying to take away mu guns!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I think icantfindaname was thinking at the (federal or equivalent) government level.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think icantfindaname was thinking at the (federal or equivalent) government level.

Woker codetermination is codified in federal law.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Woker codetermination is codified in federal law.
Europe has a lot of legacy legislation which is significantly to the left of their American equivalents, but in terms of how the US deals with monetary policy and stuff like that in the present it's definitely less rigidly right wing. I mean, the US is having a discussion about (possibly significantly) raising the minimum wage, while Europe is mostly discussing how to slash social spending. Europe is ahead, but driving in reverse.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nah, s/he probably was probably thinking about the sports level. The US really hasn't been consistently more left wing than Germany (or indeed, most of Western Europe, see e.g. the comparison on income redistribution).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Europe has a lot of legacy legislation which is significantly to the left of their American equivalents, but in terms of how the US deals with monetary policy and stuff like that in the present it's definitely less rigidly right wing. I mean, the US is having a discussion about (possibly significantly) raising the minimum wage, while Europe is mostly discussing how to slash social spending. Europe is ahead, but driving in reverse.

Actually just two years ago Gemany intoduced a federal minimum wage, on urging from France and the UK who demanded it because they would rather not be forced to slash their own minimum wages to compete with low-income German workers (also hoping to stimulate the import sector of German economy). In Europe the debate on minimum wage isn't as charged as in the US because in most countries it has been actually gradually increasing rather than plateauing.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 12, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Competition between Labour and the Tories over who would offer the biggest hike in the minimum wage was one of the stronger themes in the last British election...

Also, this thread hasn't had any Tsiprology for a while, so:

https://twitter.com/BrunoTersago/status/774919236368134144

The "seven year itch" theory of cyclical capitalism.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The US really hasn't been consistently more left wing than Germany (or indeed, most of Western Europe, see e.g. the comparison on income redistribution).
Like I said, Europe is ahead, because of what was implemented in the past. That's a separate issue from the direction politics are going in the present.

steinrokkan posted:

Actually just two years ago Gemany intoduced a federal minimum wage, on urging from France and the UK who demanded it because they would rather not be forced to slash their own minimum wages to compete with low-income German workers (also hoping to stimulate the import sector of German economy). In Europe the debate on minimum wage isn't as charged as in the US because in most countries it has been actually gradually increasing rather than plateauing.
I'm not sure that necessarily counter-acts the right wing push in fiscal policy, even if it's a good thing for Europe and the German workers.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Competition between Labour and the Tories over who would offer the biggest hike in the minimum wage was one of the stronger themes in the last British election...
Really? Didn't get much play in this thread. Also seems very out of character for both. :v:

e: My view might be colored by the poo poo show that is our current government, which has managed to take the mantle of incompetent/myopic center-right party from the social democrats.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 12, 2016

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Like I said, Europe is ahead, because of what was implemented in the past. That's a separate issue from the direction politics are going in the present.

My reply was directed more at icantfindaname than at you, but I don't think you can credit the US too much for discussing a federal minimum wage hike, given that it would be the first time in seven years to happen, and I'm not sure it has even been discussed in Congress. Also, while it's hard to compare directly, on monetary policy the ECB is as loose as the Fed right now.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, this thread hasn't had any Tsiprology for a while, so:

https://twitter.com/BrunoTersago/status/774919236368134144

The "seven year itch" theory of cyclical capitalism.

It'll all be thanks to the triumphant electoral victory of Marine Le Pen.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Really? Didn't get much play in this thread. Also seems very out of character for both. :v:
Well, to be more accurate, Labour pledged an increase in the minimum wage, then the Tories one-upped them in their first post-election budget while trying to cut other forms of support for low earners. Those cuts provoked a rebellion in their own ranks, however, so what we got was the wage increase without the cuts.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Well, to be more accurate, Labour pledged an increase in the minimum wage, then the Tories one-upped them in their first post-election budget while trying to cut other forms of support for low earners. Those cuts provoked a rebellion in their own ranks, however, so what we got was the wage increase without the cuts.
See, that was the bit I have come to expect. Interesting that their own ranks rebelled against the latter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

The US minimum wage has also been gradually increasing though, not plateauing - especially at state levels, but at the federal level as well. What we're talking about doing here is a severe increase rather than the past couple decades of small increases.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
French primary polling is such a colossal clusterfuck of permutations, it's great:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/775451989824180224

If Macron runs, he doesn't get anywhere near the second round but does squeeze the left vote hard enough for Mélenchon to overtake Hollande. Valls polls even worse than Hollande, and Montebourg polls worse than either.

There is no postulated scenario that doesn't end with a Le Pen versus Sarko/Juppé finale.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 12, 2016

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LemonDrizzle posted:

French primary polling is such a colossal clusterfuck of permutations, it's great:

If Macron runs, he doesn't get anywhere near the second round but does squeeze the left vote hard enough for Mélenchon to overtake Hollande. Valls polls even worse than Hollande, and Montebourg polls worse than either.

There is no postulated scenario that doesn't end with a Le Pen versus Sarko/Juppé finale.

Oh wow if we got Dupont-Aignan, Bayrou, Sarkozy, Macron, and Hollande on the ballot, while Mélenchon unites the far-left, then we'd get a Mélenchon-Le Pen 2nd round.

I'm going to pray to Allah for this to happen it's our only chance

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
DLF lol

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Flowers For Algeria posted:

while Mélenchon unites the far-left

your project is doomed from the start

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I refuse to believe that the Greens wouldn't put aside their ego and

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I refuse to believe that the Greens wouldn't put aside their ego and
shut it, you're getting sarko-le pen: no hope, no survivors

e: also, it looks like Dutch politics is using the cover provided by the French and German elections plus the Italian referendum to sort of quietly fall apart into an ungovernable mess with the, ah, "anti-immigrant right" in pole position:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/775455171145043968

Prime Minister Wilders and President Le Pen, what a thought.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 12, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

France was nice while it lasted.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

My father-in-law told me "well this is like 2002, we have to stop le pen" and I laughed out loud and he gave me The Stare(TM).

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

I see a pretty significant problem in the poll, in that it has a bunch of options where Montebourg and Hollande both run. If Hollande runs, it's gonna be in the PS primary, which I think Montebourg is also running for. Same would probably go for Valls, because I don't see him abandoning the institutional power running as the PS canndidate would grant him.

And, either way, there are way too many potential permutations of candidates for polls such as this to really carry any sort of meaning.

Plus I'm gonna doubt any poll that puts Dupont-Aignan above the margin of error.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

e: also, it looks like Dutch politics is using the cover provided by the French and German elections plus the Italian referendum to sort of quietly fall apart into an ungovernable mess with the, ah, "anti-immigrant right" in pole position:

Wilders will never be prime minister. The polls almost always overestimate his support, and besides, no one will work with him. He doesn't have a real political party behind him (literallly: he is the only member of his political party, so he can make sure he is the only one with influence). All he has is a bunch of yes-men who are staying on only being a PVV politician is poison for your job prospects outside of politics.

The Netherlands is doing reasonably well economically right now , it looks like the flow of refugees has been reduced enough that it's no longer going to be at the top of voters' concerns, and there's enough fiscal space for our government to pass an election year budget. Our current government is on track to become the first government to finish its term since the 1990s and even if forming the next government will be a lot trickier, compromise is baked into Dutch political culture so some sort of solution will be found. And our country is sufficiently well governed that we can happily do without a government being formed for months; Belgium also survived just fine being ruled only by an acting government for a year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Wilders doesnt want to become prime minister, unless he gets 76+ seats and thus a majority. He hates having actual responsibility as it limits his ability to just say whatever he wants. And he is right, he doesnt need to govern to be wildly influential. Basically everything he proposes gets adopted by the conservatives of the VVD (i refuse to see them as liberals anymore) in a slightly toned-down fashion, and the other parties always talk about whatever is it that Wilders is focusing on. He is amazing at dominating the discourse of Dutch politics.