Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People like Spigen cases, right? I want to show off my pretty jet black phone when I get it and they have a clear one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
clear cases look like poo poo and I imagine it would ruin the look of the jet black.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

People like Spigen cases, right? I want to show off my pretty jet black phone when I get it and they have a clear one.

Get the Peel unless you buy cases to actually protect from drops and not scratches.

Exactly this, actually.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just buy a Apple Saddle Brown Leather case.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone here know how soon AT&T gets info from Apple?

Basically, my iPhone is scheduled for Oct 4 - 10 and I kinda don't think I'll get it on launch. However, if I cancel the order before it moves to "preparing for shipment" will AT&T get that info near instantly and will ti be moved to a point where I can then get eligibility for a new Next plan? Right now, I am not eligible because of the preorder.

If this is the case and AT&T gets that info instantly, I can go to an AT&T on launch and try my luck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're getting jet black, you are gonna have to ride bareback. There's no point to it otherwise.

Just get AppleCare+ and hope if you butterfingers it onto asphalt they replace it over screen replacement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Get the Peel unless you buy cases to actually protect from drops and not scratches.
The what?

EDIT: Oh, that. No, that's not clear and is missing the point. If I don't want people to gaze at my beautiful perfect Jet Black I would just get saddle brown leather.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Duckman2008 posted:

For $15 I'll give this a whirl.
That was my thought. Well and it had 4000+ reviews averaging 4 1/2 stars.

I haven't tried the using it to power earbuds feature yet but people on amazon seem to say it works fine. For its intended purpose of streaming to your car it's awesome. You just get in your car and hold the power button down for 2-3 seconds and it turns on and instantly re-pairs, way easier than fumbling for the cable and undoing the flap on my Otterbox while driving and swerving. It auto turns off after 15 minutes of idle as well.

LODGE NORTH posted:

I remember looking those up awhile ago and seeing some for around $30 to $49 that had something that somehow made them better. Im not sure what it was though, maybe playback controls?
On the cheap one I linked The big button is pause/play, the + and - are track forward and track back on short press, volume up volume down long press.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 12, 2016

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I second this. I picked up a saddle brown one today for my 6s and it looks and feels nice as hell

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

i'm a vegan and refuse to use leather

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

maduin posted:

i'm a vegan and refuse to use leather

leather bad

product manufactured using literal slave labor in horrific conditions good

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

leather bad

product manufactured using literal slave labor in horrific conditions good

But humans aren't ~~~helpless animals~~~ they could chose not to be Chinese slave labor!!!!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

xzzy posted:

If you're getting jet black, you are gonna have to ride bareback. There's no point to it otherwise.

Just get AppleCare+ and hope if you butterfingers it onto asphalt they replace it over screen replacement.

You should be able to request for this.

E the risk being that if the decide its oow then you will def want to eat an apc instance

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As much as I'd love to go naked with Jet Black, I've dinged my phone just knocking it off the bed, to say nothing of actually dropping it a couple times getting out of my car in the parking lot.

So matte black + case seemed the logical choice.

Speaking of which, why aren't there $10 knockoffs of the Apple leather case?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For the last few weeks until the new phone comes to my house I am using no case and it is amazing. It's like a brand new phone and I wish I had the stomach to just go careless forever.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Josh Lyman posted:

As much as I'd love to go naked with Jet Black, I've dinged my phone just knocking it off the bed, to say nothing of actually dropping it a couple times getting out of my car in the parking lot.

Because nothing compares to perfection.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

XyrlocShammypants posted:

For the last few weeks until the new phone comes to my house I am using no case and it is amazing. It's like a brand new phone and I wish I had the stomach to just go careless forever.

I got my navy leather case doused in beer about a month ago and have been using it naked ever since. It's beautiful. I've been on a long road trip this week and my phone has fallen face down out of the car seat at least once when getting out. Not a scratch on it. Obviously it depends on a little luck, but out of the 4,5,6, and 6S, the 6 is the only one that ever cracked.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My mom complained that "apps only work when I'm at home and at work. No where else."

...She had somehow managed to get a parental restriction set on her own phone disabling cellular data for every app and had no idea what the pin was.

I spent a couple of hours loving with shareware, probably viruses, and hacks that haven't worked since ios5 before I found an actual fix:

Load up iTunes, make an unencrypted, then the Terminal app "pinfinder" will just spit out the restriction code like it's nothing. Figured I'd share in case anyone else has a similar frustration (or if your mom won't let you buy apps on your iTouch)

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I always use black leather on my slave labour vanity products

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Housh posted:

I always use black leather on my slave labour vanity products
Tasteless and gauche

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

My mom complained that "apps only work when I'm at home and at work. No where else."

...She had somehow managed to get a parental restriction set on her own phone disabling cellular data for every app and had no idea what the pin was.

I spent a couple of hours loving with shareware, probably viruses, and hacks that haven't worked since ios5 before I found an actual fix:

Load up iTunes, make an unencrypted, then the Terminal app "pinfinder" will just spit out the restriction code like it's nothing. Figured I'd share in case anyone else has a similar frustration (or if your mom won't let you buy apps on your iTouch)

She probably read some lovely article somewhere about "saving data" and followed it then forgot.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

Go get a bestskinsever.com skin and be happy then. I never case up and love it - I am however very careful and generally never drop my phone - and now I have applecare+ so yea. No case crew represent!

EDIT: The skins last about a year for me in general use. The edges start to peel eventually and I trim them back as they collect pocket lint and stuff.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Numinous posted:

Go get a bestskinsever.com skin and be happy then. I never case up and love it - I am however very careful and generally never drop my phone - and now I have applecare+ so yea. No case crew represent!

EDIT: The skins last about a year for me in general use. The edges start to peel eventually and I trim them back as they collect pocket lint and stuff.

This is effectively a screen protector for the entire phone right? You're spending $850+ to have a product that looks and feels much worse than what you paid for?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Calling it now: the jet black will look like poo poo after 3 months.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

the panacea posted:

It will look like poo poo after 3 hours from all the fingerprints. All the press photos from the actual event you could see the smudges already starting to show up. People buying the jet black are making a huge mistake.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

This is effectively a screen protector for the entire phone right? You're spending $850+ to have a product that looks and feels much worse than what you paid for?

lol oh come on. The iPhone is a loving bar of soap. How dare these people accessorize their possessions!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

It will look like poo poo after 3 hours from all the fingerprints. All the press photos from the actual event you could see the smudges already starting to show up. People buying the jet black are making a huge mistake.

When even Apple themselves are recommending a case for it you know it's gonna scratch horribly.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
While we're (nominally) on the Bluetooth discussion, I'm thinking of picking this up - though the price is making me balk just a little bit.

https://thebtunes.com/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
motherfucker that spam thing telling me i gotta change my passcode in the next hour that counts down and then locks you out of your phone is back for the third time. the first time i got out of the lock immediately via emergency call, the second time it took a few more tries, so i'm really worried. googling doesn't help at all, is there really no explanation or solution for this yet?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

something that has literally happened to nobody ever

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MagSafe lightning cable, incompatible with old lightning cables and accessories, available 2019!

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

bobfather posted:

MagSafe lightning cable, incompatible with old lightning cables and accessories, available 2019!

Hate to break it to you but this is available right now.

the panacea posted:

I don't think there was ever any doubt. I'm probably in the minority here, but I was quite fond of the weird scratchy patina that formed on the back of the iPhone 3G hence why I pulled the trigger on the jet black 7

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There have been a few times my phone almost fell but was saved by the headphones cable. One of the reasons I was so happy to upgrade to BT headphones over a year ago was so that I could finally stop getting the cord caught in my jacket zipper and/or on the strap of my messenger bag while commuting on the train, etc.

I wonder how many of the people most pissed about this change are non-public transport commuters who just plug their phone in their car and then sit at a desk all day or something. Bluetooth is highly preferable when you are juggling stuff in both hands and don't want a wire getting caught on poo poo.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

aBagorn posted:

While we're (nominally) on the Bluetooth discussion, I'm thinking of picking this up - though the price is making me balk just a little bit.

https://thebtunes.com/

Is this real? I only ask that because the video is awful and makes me think they are mocking some other product.

Pure wireless sound

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linx posted:

This actually rules and if I wasn't intending to use the dongle, I'd totally be getting this.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Linx posted:

I don't think there was ever any doubt. I'm probably in the minority here, but I was quite fond of the weird scratchy patina that formed on the back of the iPhone 3G hence why I pulled the trigger on the jet black 7

I was an Android user when the iPhone 4 came out, and was always mildly jealous of my friends' iPhones and their nice collection of various dings and scratches along the chamfered edges. Looked especially cool on black. Still can't bring myself to go caseless though...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I loved the plastic body on my 5C and the way it picked up wear as I used it more and more. Hoping the jet black 7 starts looking like that after a while, although I might still end up putting it in a case if the camera bump drives me too crazy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm going with the Apple Black Leather Case this time around since they got rid of the best color (Brown).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

I loved the plastic body on my 5C and the way it picked up wear as I used it more and more. Hoping the jet black 7 starts looking like that after a while, although I might still end up putting it in a case if the camera bump drives me too crazy.

Yes, apple devices typically age very well. I even liked the way the old chrome backed idevices wore down over time.

My question with the jet black is whether scratches turn silver as you wear through the anodizing or if it stays black for a while. Hopefully some enterprising soul looking for a bunch of theoretical internet dollars takes one to a belt grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple literally says the jet black is gonna scratch easily so