Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

McNally posted:

If I truly hated people, my hold music would be "In the Air Tonight" with the standard "please stay on the line" message played right when the drums hit.

That would make me throw the phone across the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
If I could choose my hold music I would use some version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHFM7f1ErZo

Right now we have nothing.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

What I can't zone out is the sound of silence being broken. Every 16 seconds. I counted.

Sounds like my life.

The worst hold music I deal with is where it interrupts the music playing, does the little speech, then restarts the music from the beginning. I want it to continue, I was enjoying that, now I have just the first 15s playing in my head all day :(

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

McNally posted:

If I truly hated people, my hold music would be "In the Air Tonight" with the standard "please stay on the line" message played right when the drums hit.

you diabolical motherfucker. Turnover in tier 1 would be astronomical as every one of them gets poo poo on by pissy callers every single day, even when their problem wasn't that bad to begin with.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I think I'll just put some Fallout 4 music in there or something.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

I think I'll just put some Fallout 4 music in there or something.
Somewhat unrelated, but I was sitting at Stockholm airport waiting for my flight a few months back and the lounge bar was playing the Fallout 4 soundtrack. Quite a pleasant change from the usual airport muzak.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

McNally posted:

You absolute bastard

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Alternatively
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQE_TNI7zw
And between replays "Glory to Arstotzka!" :downs:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"apology comrade, your ticket has been... eliminate. Have good day."

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Just had to ring to get my car serviced, and their hold tune was a plinky piano tune, including a generic English accented man telling you how much they appreciate my service... interrupted every often by a more local women telling you they appreciate my service.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My voice is still on the hold message at the job I left in 2004.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If I was tasked with creating hold music, it would be a collection of people saying how much the call is appreciated all interrupting each other at random intervals forever. Maybe every 2 minutes it would play 10 seconds of music and then get right back into Appreciation Station mode.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just got a call from AT&T asking for an update on an issue that we reported to them and proofed out to be on their side of the demark.

I...uh...

:sigh:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If I was tasked with creating hold music, it would be a collection of people saying how much the call is appreciated all interrupting each other at random intervals forever. Maybe every 2 minutes it would play 10 seconds of music and then get right back into Appreciation Station mode.

http://conferencecall.biz/

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How about this for hold music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsU3B0W3TMs

No? Maybe this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E680Lb8aOk

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

It's like someone tried very very hard to make Schala's theme using windows error beeps but came just short.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I haven't seen this in about 8 years.

I think piano instrumentals of two steps from hell songs would work well like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pXsfrXn7LU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
One of our internet providers used to have a clip that had a Legend of Zelda bit in it, it was from Windwaker I think. It was just recognizable enough that I knew it was Zelda, but not enough that I could figure out which one it came from.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The steps needed to recover root passwords from a Cisco UCS and from vsphere 5 are infuriating. Yeah just let me shut everything down, no problems there.

Of course the guy who worked here that I replaced went radio silent.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

The steps needed to recover root passwords from a Cisco UCS and from vsphere 5 are infuriating. Yeah just let me shut everything down, no problems there.

Of course the guy who worked here that I replaced went radio silent.

Can't you recover one fabric at a time? I vaguely remember having to do this due to me being a retard and somehow either deleting or not saving the password in the password manager.

edit: nevermind it was done during a maintenance window so I guess I did have to shut the whole thing down. Would it be too much to hope you have someplace else to vmotion everything to or is this a "welp everything's hosed and can't get in until we shut the whole thing down"?

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 12, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I believe so, but that still requires downtime, on site data center access, change control and another mile of red tape.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bigass Moth posted:

I believe so, but that still requires downtime, on site data center access, change control and another mile of red tape.

Sounds like someone else that lives the hell I am in.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

Sounds like someone else that lives the hell I am in.

I am so glad that my current employer doesn't blink twice when I ask for things like console servers for places where it's important and/or datacenter access is annoying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Methanar posted:

I think piano instrumentals of two steps from hell songs would work well like this.

I love that this "tutorial" would require, at minimum, three pianos to pull off because of the sustains and the glissando, and probably five people unless you've got some crazy hand span and dexterity.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The boss at my first job told me this story, and I have no means of determining if it's true or not.

He used to work for BASF. They outsourced the internal IT helpdesk operation where he was in charge and they gave him the boot, allowing two weeks for him to continue transitioning responsibilities.

He had access to their hold music system and promptly set it up to play Polish funeral dirges, the Soviet national anthem, and Twisted Sister amongst others.

He apparently didn't care about the reference, but hey.

Friendly reminder that Callin' Oates is a thing, and every organization should program an extension for decent tones. 719-26-OATES.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

My voice is still on the hold message at the job I left in 2004.

Unrelated but a client from a past job told me I sounded like the male Delta Airlines intercom voice they broadcast in airports. Could never find a sample to confirm though.

Renegret posted:

I just got a call from AT&T asking for an update on an issue that we reported to them and proofed out to be on their side of the demark.

I...uh...

AT&T, Century Link and Time Warner are all this way, I know from experience - I've had miserable experiences with CL especially, like when power went out to a client site and somehow wiped their DSL modem settings completely. I guess whomever programmed it didn't remember to apply/save their settings so that was fun calling them, getting a tech that knew jack poo poo, then pulling documentation for said client so we could program the modem properly ourselves. Time Warner was just as bad, possibly worse, on account of them shutting off service "accidentally" last year for another client of mine, then refusing to dispatch emergency techs to fix it until I threatened to cancel service. They were at fault and finally admitted it, somehow they had lines at the utility pole marked wrong and shut service off to my client instead of the deadbeat a neighborhood over who wasn't paying his bill. There's a reason we call TWC "Totally Worthless Crap" where I work and live.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Dude, let it go.

SupercalafragilisticexpialaHoldPlease

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 12, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
whoops double post

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

I...uh...

Oh you sweet summer child :allears:. We've had a customer do that to us for several weeks now despite us patently proving it was their equipment on the day they lodged the ticket (Surely we can do more tests on our network or something to be certain, he kept asking us ever so nicely to do so too...). We only just got him to finally realize the fault is in their equipment before it reaches us.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ugh... If you have their lovely "UVerse" service, on occasion they will push out a firmware update for the modem/gateway that also results in the thing being reset to defaults.

This isn't a problem for most home customers, but if you are a business and have the "pass-through" option enabled so you can use your own router without double-NAT, it becomes a problem.

The one location I have on UVerse has experienced this twice now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My company's phone system automatically makes you listen to a cubicle troll oh so slowly ask if you want English or Spanish before transferring you to the same number no matter what. And it is completely unskippable.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BOOTY-ADE posted:

AT&T, Century Link and Time Warner are all this way, I know from experience - I've had miserable experiences with CL especially, like when power went out to a client site and somehow wiped their DSL modem settings completely. I guess whomever programmed it didn't remember to apply/save their settings so that was fun calling them, getting a tech that knew jack poo poo, then pulling documentation for said client so we could program the modem properly ourselves. Time Warner was just as bad, possibly worse, on account of them shutting off service "accidentally" last year for another client of mine, then refusing to dispatch emergency techs to fix it until I threatened to cancel service. They were at fault and finally admitted it, somehow they had lines at the utility pole marked wrong and shut service off to my client instead of the deadbeat a neighborhood over who wasn't paying his bill. There's a reason we call TWC "Totally Worthless Crap" where I work and live.

All communication providers are pure poo poo.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Methanar posted:

Possibly Circus Galop, which requires striking up to 21 simultaneous notes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUy70dh8LY

Or maybe one of Conlon Nancarrow's works for player piano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdm04Rz3wTk

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

stevewm posted:

Ugh... If you have their lovely "UVerse" service, on occasion they will push out a firmware update for the modem/gateway that also results in the thing being reset to defaults.

This isn't a problem for most home customers, but if you are a business and have the "pass-through" option enabled so you can use your own router without double-NAT, it becomes a problem.

The one location I have on UVerse has experienced this twice now.

Not only does it double-NAT, it supposedly has a connection table limit of 2500 but the limit is more like 1600. Absolutely garbage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

darthbob88 posted:

Possibly Circus Galop, which requires striking up to 21 simultaneous notes.

21 simultaneous notes?

You can totally do that.

If you are a dude.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Wasn't familiar with Circus Gallop so I googled it.

Found this: https://vimeo.com/56412856

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

This, or really anything else from the Stanley Parable soundtrack would make great hold music.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

spog posted:

21 simultaneous notes?

You can totally do that.

If you are a dude.

use your nose

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Fudge posted:

Not only does it double-NAT, it supposedly has a connection table limit of 2500 but the limit is more like 1600. Absolutely garbage.

And good news today! A local cable company can now serve said location and in about 5 weeks said location will no longer have to endure the blistering 5/1 speeds of Uverse... Or their forced lovely gateway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eerily reminiscent of the music from Unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh you sweet summer child :allears:. We've had a customer do that to us for several weeks now despite us patently proving it was their equipment on the day they lodged the ticket (Surely we can do more tests on our network or something to be certain, he kept asking us ever so nicely to do so too...). We only just got him to finally realize the fault is in their equipment before it reaches us.

The kicker is that we're also an ISP.

I get it, ISP to customer communication, half the time you're getting some underpaid shleb in a call center who either doesn't care or is a plain idiot. However, I absolutely hold ISP to ISP communication to a higher standard because there is so much more on the line if something goes tits up. I don't speak to people in customer service, I'm usually communicating with other NOCs or some sort of management.

Ironically, Verizon is the easiest to work with even though they're our #1 competitor.

And the worst part, no matter how much of a pain in the rear end AT&T was for me today, they'll never come close to how awful Time Warner can be on the best of days. AT&T was unorganized but at least friendly and cooperative, TWC has been straight up belligerent every time I've called them for something.

• Locked thread