Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

So what are the things to avoid doing? Is it plant gathering? Is the game just generally unstable atm?

Downloaded this for the first time in a long time earlier, latest LNP, crashed 3 times in an hour. I barely managed to get past the starting point of moving stuff out of the wagon.

are you using the TWTB graphics/print mode? disabling that really cut down on the crashes for me. that goes for dfhack in general too, it's the first thing i look at if i have crash issues popping up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ah, apparently I am using the TWTB print mode. I set it to 2d, what's recommended? 2d looks much nicer, much less confusing about what's on what layer.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 8, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

the multilevel rendering is part of the TWBT package. the console command multilevel 0 disables it

I don't know if that part of the plugin has ever been stable enough for constant heavy usage. it's kind of irresponsible to make it part of the default setup, imo

that said, STANDARD is pretty good if you don't mind giving up the other perks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I have found multilevel 1 or 2 to work pretty well. Anything else blows up eventually.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yep, that fixed it, no crashes since I switched to 2d, thanks!

Edit: Speak of the devil and he shall crash your game. :v:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 8, 2016

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Stupid Dwarf civ I'm playing now hasn't invented High Boots, what a bunch of losers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tars Tarkas posted:

Stupid Dwarf civ I'm playing now hasn't invented High Boots, what a bunch of losers.

Wow. That is some poo poo. WTF dorfs, pull yourselves together.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I set up a squad with a new uniform having a war hammer. Now they're in their barracks, on the inactive /training schedule all watching demos and training, all good. Thing is they keep switching from being wrestlers to hammer dwarves and back again , and when I look at their inventory, sometimes they have a hammer and sometimes not. If poo poo becomes real, will they all pick up their hammers (silver, I might add) or are they gonna run out unarmed and get themselves killed like a bunch of arseholes?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

get themselves killed like a bunch of arseholes

Always this.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Now that it's working again I was trying to gen a harsh little world, after a few tries, this came up.

I forgot how much I love this game.As far as I can tell, a dragon ate everyone, literally, there is one dragon with almost 300 kills.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Then laugh and post about it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then laugh and post about it.

So very right. Okay, I had five dwarves, bronze breast, bronze shield, silver hammer. Get invaded by, count them, three goblins. Think to myself, it's a cinch, no problem. The whole squad is dead. So is one goblin. gently caress my life.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well, I finally got into this game. I have an actual fortress, I'm trying to meet the demands of my nobility and transition from Dwarftroit to something cool. Somewhere along the way i forgot to pack an Anvil, so i don't have a lot going on. Stuff has been peaceful and I haven't got a clue what to do right now. When this game gets weird, it gets weird.

I had a dwarf that, I guess wasn't havin her religious needs met with the few instruments I had made. She proceeded to hijack my craftsworker bench for a really, really long time, became a master bonecrafter, and made herself an idol to her God, then went back to normal like nothing happened.

I think i became enamored with the game right there. There's a lot to deal with, even with a tileset and mouse support the UI in this game is loving baffling, and I know the 2 man dev team doesnt give a poo poo.

I also don't understand why I can't just play the game from stonesense, like why that has to be a separate window and it can't just fully hijack the game.

Typical whining for this game I suspect.

I had a look at adventure mode, and now I really, really want to understand it because it seems to have the same sort of insane depth going on that fortress mode has, but it's more personal, but I can't even begin to understand what the gently caress is going on. Even for a roguelike those controls are out of this world terrible.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's a lot going on in adventure mode but unfortunately unlike fortress mode it doesn't really add up to anything terribly interesting yet. it's an amusing gruesome serial murderer simulator for a couple runs and then it's mostly tedious after that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

now you can start your own rockband, which is funny but doesn't actually end up being what i'd really call fun

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

hemophilia posted:

I had a look at adventure mode, and now I really, really want to understand it because it seems to have the same sort of insane depth going on that fortress mode has, but it's more personal, but I can't even begin to understand what the gently caress is going on. Even for a roguelike those controls are out of this world terrible.

You probably have already discovered this but when playing Adventure Mode there is no shame in having the "Controls" page of the wiki open for quick scanning. About the only thing I can do in that game without reference is butcher a dead animal or stab something in the face.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

The big problem for me in adventure mode is that there's like 4 different ways to interact with objects and it's never clear which one does what.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I decided to embark with an aquifer for the first time (after doing a practice run to figure out the double slit). So far, I've hit my tenth (10!) layer, almost all conglomerite. Is this normal? Is there any way to know how deep this thing is without securing the top layer each time (which takes about 20 minutes real time). I must have spent more than two hours on this loving aquifer.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

I decided to embark with an aquifer for the first time (after doing a practice run to figure out the double slit). So far, I've hit my tenth (10!) layer, almost all conglomerite. Is this normal? Is there any way to know how deep this thing is without securing the top layer each time (which takes about 20 minutes real time). I must have spent more than two hours on this loving aquifer.

I could be wrong but my memory says that aquifers should only be three layers deep at the most. Not sure what is going on in your situation.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I have encountered something like that before a long time and a lot of versions ago. Try starting a shaft somewhere else on the embark map, I hit mine from the side after I'd gotten through it in another spot (I didn't breach it, thankfully, just got wet stone/dirt warnings for a lot of poo poo).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

reignofevil posted:

I could be wrong but my memory says that aquifers should only be three layers deep at the most. Not sure what is going on in your situation.

Well, turns out it is exactly 10 layers deep, at least where I'm digging, and now I hit loving Gabbro which basically means my whole sedimentary layer is a loving aquifer. Wrong kind of fun, for me at least...

I guess the lesson is not to embark on a tiny island.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ninjewtsu posted:

now you can start your own rockband, which is funny but doesn't actually end up being what i'd really call fun

much like the music industry in reality

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"Funny but doesn't actually end up being what i'd really call fun" is pretty much the tagline for Adventure Mode.

The first hour or so of marching up to total strangers, declaring everything they hold dear is utter bullshit and their values are for chumps, and then brutally murdering them during the middle of a synchronized song/dance routine is hilarious.

Then you realize that continuing to play Adventure Mode is just doing that over and over again. Or doing something aggressively, numbingly dull like trying to actually do the quests and play 'as intended'.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 12, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Adventure Mode can be pretty alright once you figure it out, the combat is pretty engaging all things considered. I got a lot of fun out of it running up legends killcounts on parakeet and cockatiel men. I had a parakeet with nearly 500 kills at one point, legendary in just about every combat skill. The only remaining Dwarf civ was down to it's last town so I sent him in to wipe out an adjacent dark fortress.

Small flying adventurers with stealth are brutally loving effective, btw, just be aware that most things can kill you in a single hit and you can never wear armor

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

What does it mean if a dwarf's name is blinking?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Can I use dfhack or something to give a minor injury to this dwarf? I really don't want to have to set up traps...

He had his eye gouged out by a miner but there was no water at the time, so I had to delete the hospital before he died of thirst. Now I have water and I've remade the hospital but he refuses to go back. He's just wandering around the fortress, one half of his face a mangled mess.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Peewi posted:

What does it mean if a dwarf's name is blinking?
They have a skill at legendary level.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Or they're on fire.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
There is no in-between.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sometimes it's both

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh cool, my starting miners are legendary, then.

A weredeer just showed up and I have no idea how to deal with it. None of my dwarves are trained in combat.

EDIT: It moves fast and quickly killed one of my miners.

EDIT2: And now my other legendary miner.

The weredeer is also dead, but I'm not sure how. The report just says my expedition leader punched it, bruising the fat, and then it's apparently dead.

Peewi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 12, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Peewi posted:

Oh cool, my starting miners are legendary, then.

A weredeer just showed up and I have no idea how to deal with it. None of my dwarves are trained in combat.

EDIT: It moves fast and quickly killed one of my miners.

When you start out they are basically impossible to kill in were form. Even with steel weapons and armor you can lose dudes. It will turn back into a dwarf/elf/human in a few days and run away.

Until you can get proper defences up, the easiest way to deal with werebeasts is to just pasture a bunch of animals outside. Then hope chasing bunnies around keeps him busy until he turns back into a naked person.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh wait, the second death was just a regular miner. I still have one of my legendary ones.

I don't even have iron. The only ore I've found is galena and sphalerite. I guess I'll make some silver weapons.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Adventure mode would be great if dark fortresses didn't slow the game to an absurd crawl after a few decades of worldgen

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Peewi posted:

Oh wait, the second death was just a regular miner. I still have one of my legendary ones.

I don't even have iron. The only ore I've found is galena and sphalerite. I guess I'll make some silver weapons.

Silver is good for hammers. NOt so good for edged weapons.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Blunt weapons are gonna be your bread and butter on any map with poor metal resources, though. I don't know if I've ever had a map without silver. Silver hammers are incredibly good weapons!

The best is when your moody weaponsmiths start making hammers out of gold and platinum. :getin:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I just had a weaponsmith make a gold shortsword. Thanks mate, real useful.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Nettle Soup posted:

I just had a weaponsmith make a gold shortsword. Thanks mate, real useful.

Hopefully whoever uses it just hilt-bashes of flatblades everything, who cares about the edge when you could just have a nice heavy club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Peewi posted:

Do you have sand? If you can set up a magma glass furnace you can do things like funnel goblins through traps full of masterwork serrated green glass discs and then pick their armor and weapons out of the puree and melt it down.

And I mean full, as in "the game will not let you put any more in", glass isn't great at penetrating armor, but at 10 discs with 3 attacks each you just need to0 be lucky once, and the goblins need to be lucky over and over and over.

(alternatively funnel them through tons of cage traps and order their gear dumped and your dwarves will take it off them while they're still in the cage.)