Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DrProsek posted:

Make sure it's an even number of flowers.

(IIRC there's something about how in Russia, even numbers of flowers are only given for a funeral so giving it to someone for non-funeral reasons is considered rude)
This is correct for all former USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For other EE countries too.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 10, 2016

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Send them a gps unit and a map with Russia/Not russia on it with different colors.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I thought that was a globally human tradition. It's not? I learned something new today. Thank you SA.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The standard romantic group of flowers in America is a dozen roses, so it's definitely not universal.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Dwesa posted:

For other EE countries too.

The Caucasus as well? If so, that would mean that the song "Million alykh roz" is about a painter who sends a contemptuous message in an extravagant fashion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kopijeger posted:

The Caucasus as well? If so, that would mean that the song "Million alykh roz" is about a painter who sends a contemptuous message in an extravagant fashion.

He just hopes the recipient won't bother to count them.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Von_Doom posted:

I thought that was a globally human tradition. It's not? I learned something new today. Thank you SA.
This seems like an oddly specific thing to expect to be a universal tradition.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Caucasus as well, so you're technically correct, even though I'm not sure I follow the link to Caucasus here, unless you count author's grandfather.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Caucasus as well, so you're technically correct, even though I'm not sure I follow the link to Caucasus here, unless you count author's grandfather.

The song was based on something that allegedly happened to the Georgian painter Niko Pirosmani:

Wikipedia posted:

Pirosmani is known for the legend of a romantic encounter with a French actress who visited his town; he was deeply in love with her, to demonstrate it he sold his house and bought her enough flowers to fill the square in front of her hotel window (allegedly bankrupting himself). The story became famous when it was recounted in a poem by Andrei Voznesensky, and later into a hit song by Alla Pugacheva, A Million Scarlet Roses (also known as Million Roses).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Von_Doom posted:

Most cultures don't care about esoteric flower based numerology.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

The song was based on something that allegedly happened to the Georgian painter Niko Pirosmani:
Oh, had no idea about that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Most cultures don't care about esoteric flower based numerology.
Yeah, I'd go so far as to say that you should probably expect no symbolism associated with numbers to be universal. A lot of other symbolism too, but I can imagine there might at least be a few universal symbols.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Each variety of flower has a meaning too, but no one remembers that.

The Belarusian elections are rigged! And here is a shaky video to prove it. https://www.facebook.com/100009239027789/videos/1692440281073923/?pnref=story

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Each variety of flower has a meaning too, but no one remembers that.

The Belarusian elections are rigged! And here is a shaky video to prove it. https://www.facebook.com/100009239027789/videos/1692440281073923/?pnref=story

Yeah one of my grandmothers went on a mini rant about that one day. Colours and type have meanings and if you mix types you have to be careful of the number in the mix. I'm a guy so I listed to almost none of that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Von_Doom posted:

Yeah one of my grandmothers went on a mini rant about that one day. Colours and type have meanings and if you mix types you have to be careful of the number in the mix. I'm a guy so I listed to almost none of that.
There's nothing about being a guy that justifies disrespecting your grandma. For shame.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's nothing about being a guy that justifies disrespecting your grandma. For shame.

Shhhhhh do you know how strong your average grandmother is? She was born when Stalin died. His hate when into her. She will beat me

Again

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
Hello friends, I have a minor polish grammar question but I don't want to derail this thread. So, Putin is bad. He taught me realpolitik like nobody else could cuz he's a worthless oval office and I thank/loathe him for that.

Fake content aside, how do I say "Polish potatoes, they are good." It's something like Polski ziemniaki, sa dobre but I don't really know the language and don't trust that. Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

treerat posted:

Hello friends, I have a minor polish grammar question but I don't want to derail this thread. So, Putin is bad. He taught me realpolitik like nobody else could cuz he's a worthless oval office and I thank/loathe him for that.

Fake content aside, how do I say "Polish potatoes, they are good." It's something like Polski ziemniaki, sa dobre but I don't really know the language and don't trust that. Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

Can't it just be "Polish potatoes are good"? That'd be "Polskie ziemniaki są dobre".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

treerat posted:

'Polskie ziemniaki, więc są dobre' would be more correct in this context I believe.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Paladinus posted:

'Polskie ziemniaki, więc są dobre' would be more correct in this context I believe.

I see nothing in that sentence that would imply a need for "więc". A larger context would help, though.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

"Polskie ziemniaki, one są dobre" actually.

To be sure it reads a bit like meme speak, though this applies to the English version as well, so maybe as intended.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

treerat posted:

Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

And that comes from the Italian, meaning "little truffle"! tartufoli -> Tartuffel -> Kartoffel -> cartof, картоф, kарҭофель, kartul, kartupel, etc.

poo poo, :regd08: this thread is now about names for the potato.

The English term "potato" comes from Spanish "patata" which was a portmanteau between two different words from two different languages meaning two different vegetables: "papa" is Quechua for potato, and "batata" is Taino for sweet potato. Papa + batata = patata -> patate, potato, etc.

The "earth apple" analogy is found in French (pomme de terre) and Flemish (aardappel) and in several German dialects that use Erdapfel instead of Kartoffel, but you can also find "earth pear" (or "ground pear") in other German dialects (Grundbirne) which gave krumpli, krumpir, krompira, krompirja and crumpenă in various Balkan languages. It's also found in the archaic Swedish Jordpäron. Other names derive from places they were introduced, so burgonya is derived from Burgundy while brambor or bandraburca are derived from Brandenburg.

Outside of Europe, it was originally known in Iran as "Malcolm's plum" (ālū-i malqalm) and in some Chinese dialects as "earth fava bean" (土豆 tǔdňu). So the potato is an apple, a truffle, a pear, a plum, and a fava bean all rolled into one!

:goonsay:

Okay well enough of this dumb tangent.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

And that comes from the Italian, meaning "little truffle"! tartufoli -> Tartuffel -> Kartoffel -> cartof, картоф, kарҭофель, kartul, kartupel, etc.

poo poo, :regd08: this thread is now about names for the potato.

The English term "potato" comes from Spanish "patata" which was a portmanteau between two different words from two different languages meaning two different vegetables: "papa" is Quechua for potato, and "batata" is Taino for sweet potato. Papa + batata = patata -> patate, potato, etc.

The "earth apple" analogy is found in French (pomme de terre) and Flemish (aardappel) and in several German dialects that use Erdapfel instead of Kartoffel, but you can also find "earth pear" (or "ground pear") in other German dialects (Grundbirne) which gave krumpli, krumpir, krompira, krompirja and crumpenă in various Balkan languages. It's also found in the archaic Swedish Jordpäron. Other names derive from places they were introduced, so burgonya is derived from Burgundy while brambor or bandraburca are derived from Brandenburg.

Outside of Europe, it was originally known in Iran as "Malcolm's plum" (ālū-i malqalm) and in some Chinese dialects as "earth fava bean" (土豆 tǔdňu). So the potato is an apple, a truffle, a pear, a plum, and a fava bean all rolled into one!

:goonsay:

Okay well enough of this dumb tangent.

Sounds like a bunch of "germanic"* gobbledygook to me!
Everyone knows that Lechite language is the basis for all European languages since it is the root of proto indo european. Slavic power, glory to the Svetovid!

*so called Germans are disgraced Slavs

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
I'm sorry for not making it more obvious but these potatoes to which I refer have been beautifully rectified, if that helps to distill my context.

I think Pierogi probably nailed it the way I was thinking it in my head. It was a very slow thought, not really a fully formed sentence in a traditional sense.

treerat fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 11, 2016

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

treerat posted:

I'm sorry for not making it more obvious but these potatoes to which I refer have been beautifully rectified, if that helps to distill my context.

Are you currently under the influence of judgement impairing chemical reactions brought forth by imbimbing products of said distilling?

E: if in the company of Poles the translation would go something like this: "Wódka z ziemniaków to nie prawdziwa wódka, Rosjanie wynaleźli wódkę i robią ją ze zbóż."

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 11, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

treerat posted:

on that note, can someone remind me what the polish term for ether is? I never remember how to ask.

treerat
Oct 4, 2005

Pierogi posted:

Are you currently under the influence of judgement impairing chemical reactions brought forth by imbimbing products of said distilling?

E: if in the company of Poles the translation would go something like this: "Wódka z ziemniaków to nie prawdziwa wódka, Rosjanie wynaleźli wódkę i robią ją ze zbóż."

Funny guy, you try to get me in trouble. I would drink with you :D

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pierogi posted:

smdh trying to get a man killed

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

treerat posted:

I think Pierogi probably nailed it the way I was thinking it in my head. It was a very slow thought, not really a fully formed sentence in a traditional sense.

I think the most natural sentence conveying the meaning you intended would be "nie ma to jak polskie ziemniaki".

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

We interrupt this Polish confession of potato-love for an important announcement: Belarusian elections are going about as well as can be expected. https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...lugin&src=video

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 11, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

treerat posted:

Also I learned today that Poles share the Deutsche word kartofle! The earth-apple carries memetic power.

The proper term for potato was a source of tension in our household - mom from Warsaw, Dad Kraków.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The proper term for potato was a source of tension in our household - mom from Warsaw, Dad Kraków.

Could you elaborate on what the two choices are?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Could you elaborate on what the two choices are?

Ziemniak versus kartofel. Mom (from Warsaw) would prefer kartofel. Dad (from Krakow) didn't like kartofel's Germanic origin, always insisting (usually half seriously) it wasn't the proper term. Apparently it was a regional thing.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Good. Kartofling it up in Warsaw is borderline treason.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
pyry

grule

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Smalec, Szmalec was another. (Lard spread is the English term?)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
In non-news, Croatia had parliamentary elections yesterday, only 10 months after the previous round. The conservative party HDZ won the relative majority and will probably form a coalition government. No big surprises.
- HDZ gained much by replacing unpopular Karamarko with moderate, intellectual Plenkovic. Just a couple of months ago with Karamarko they were trailing in the polls.
- Left wing SDP continues suffering under the arrogant and incompetent leader Milanovic. The problem is he won the party elections recently and I don't see him resigning.
- Last elections' champs Most are still third but lost a lot of support after heterogeneous and inexperienced participation in government and after HDZ moved more to the center and took some of their voters back.
- Zivi zid gained a lot of voters and are firmly fourth. It's an anti-establishment, anti-banking party lead by an uneducated youth.

Zagreb's corrupt mayor Bandic, a war criminal from the east of the country Glavas, and rational/liberal/urban Pametno performed poorly.

I heard yesterday that aside from Albania and Macedonia, Croatia is the only EE country that has the same two ruling parties since fall of communism. :bang:

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 12, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Doctor Malaver posted:

- Left wing SDP continues suffering under the arrogant and incompetent leader Milanovic. The problem is he won the party elections recently and I don't see him resigning.

Hey Milanovic has just resigned! :) More precisely, he announced that he won't run for the next party elections - and they will be soon. Despite the incessant Croatian Whining our recent political changes have mostly been for the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

loving finally. I'm now starting to count the days when we will have a normal government:

1 down, 1460 to go.