Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Felis is so cute!

Actually, the contrast between the fun, cute, and colorful designs and the reality of the events as they unfold is one of the reasons i like this show so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A White Whale clock would surely drive you insane.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

a kitten posted:

Felis is so cute!

Actually, the contrast between the fun, cute, and colorful designs and the reality of the events as they unfold is one of the reasons i like this show so much.

https://0x0.st/Scv.webm

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Well, that sure ended on a cliffhanger.

I thought this was to be the final episode of the season, but one more sounds just perfect. Hopefully it gets the fighting out of the way early. I started from the beginning again, heh, and the dialogue heavy episodes are way more interesting.

rvm
May 6, 2013
whoops, nevermind.

rvm fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 11, 2016

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Episode felt rushed, and low on budget, but pretty fun otherwise. I suppose it works as setup for the final episode, on both fronts.

Whats up with the blank letter?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's weird they couldn't bother to record an additional line but when Subaru catches the merchant/finger he calls them out for swapping out the letter with a blank letter to seed confusion and fear

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 11, 2016

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It's weird they couldn't bother to record an additional line but when Subaru catches the merchant/finger he calls them out for swapping out the letter with a blank letter to seed confusion and fear

Ah, that makes sense.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So when people suggest that the "tutorial" was over, that means we're largely no longer seeing Subaru forced to loop because of self inflicted idiocy, but now largely moving forward as a result of Dark Souls trial and error to pursue his goals?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I would say the "tutorial" being over was the first two thirds of the current arc, where things took a massive leap in difficulty and Subaru hit rock bottom on pretty much every possible level.

That said, it seems clear by now that Subaru is a changed person, it's difficult to imagine he'd ever (completely) revert to being a selfish flailing idiot after all the growth that he's displayed in this season.

OTOH, there's one episode left, so I'd hold back on evaluating the arc/season as a whole until it's well and truly finished.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I was impressed with Betelgeuse this episode. We saw a different side of him that was nevertheless still clearly the same character in subtle ways.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This has ben a fun serie. Amazing ever. Episode 15 was brutal. Lots of episodes where good stuff.

Too bad the low production values on some stuff, but with a story heavy anima it don't destroy the serie.

I heard when Subaru was possessed by Betelgeuse he was able to look into Betelgeuse life, and pity him, it was this pity that helped him break control.
He has not become a psychological genius master controller, he really now understands Betelgeuse and have used that against him. Is one of these things the serie don't show.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That will probably be mentioned next episode at some point.

Which BTW will be 40 minutes long!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Grouchio posted:

That will probably be mentioned next episode at some point.

Which BTW will be 40 minutes long!

Er, any source on that? Looking at the TV timetables, it's a regular length 30 minute block.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

darkgray posted:

Er, any source on that? Looking at the TV timetables, it's a regular length 30 minute block.
It's supposed to be a double episode. TV timetables are loving with you.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
You know, Subaru's change to an outside observer must be loving bewildering. It's only been 3 days, at most, since he humiliated himself at the court. Since then, he's

-shrewdly negotiated with 2 of the other royal candidates to the point that their opinion of him did a near 180.

-led the charge against an unstoppable behemoth that had terrorized the country for 400 years by acting as bait

-showed an indomitable spirit during the battle and came up with a brilliant, if completely insane, tactic that was instrumental in victory

-devised an intricate plan against the witch's cult that lead to a near crushing victory with almost no loss of life

-and most importantly, carries himself with a level of maturity, humbleness, and valor that has inspired admiration and outright devotion from people who only knew of him as "that idiot that was dumb enough to piss off every knight in the castle"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Subaru has some great lines for Betelgeuse in this Episode.

Also TORA TORA TORA!

A big flaming stink posted:

-and most importantly, carries himself with a level of maturity, humbleness, and valor that has inspired admiration and outright devotion from people who only knew of him as "that idiot that was dumb enough to piss off every knight in the castle"

First impressions are important but sometimes people get off on the wrong foot. Pretty sure people have been doing internal double takes about him in the vein of 'hold on there might be something to this guy claiming he's a knight' ever since he got Rem's pep talk.

Also it's really hard not to admire someone who puts everything on the line and makes it through against all odds.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

That's true, but each of the candidate's champions has been extraordinary in some way; perhaps they'd expect him to... not be as horrifically idiotic as he came off at first blush.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I thought the biggest and most obvious sign of his character growth this episode was instead of internalizing and freaking out about his possession from the last loop, he flat out told everyone about it right at the start.

Also I don't think I will ever get tired of seeing Wilhelm just appear by a cultist to take them out. Such a cool old man. :allears:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
This last episode was full of plot revelations. Now we understand what the archbishops are trying to do in the form of the ordeals, and the fact that Emilia is the target for possession by the Witch. I expect Subaru to be the ultimate ordeal where his pride breaks Emilia's heart and she becomes the witch.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Overlord K posted:

Also I don't think I will ever get tired of seeing Wilhelm just appear by a cultist to take them out. Such a cool old man. :allears:

Wilhelm is Jason Voorhees to the cultists. Japan, a spinoff please!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Overlord K posted:

I thought the biggest and most obvious sign of his character growth this episode was instead of internalizing and freaking out about his possession from the last loop, he flat out told everyone about it right at the start.

Yea, the character has grown from unlikable sadperson, professional victim; to somebody that know he is not the more smart people in the room, but can still push forward a agenda and respecting everyone else desires. All the people with superpowers in the room (that seems that can jump 100m and stab something if they need to) look at hims with admiration, because he can do this, withouth superpowers, more like being a incredible average person.

What I am doing to do with my life after next sunday? I will have a big ReZero hole in my life.

I am watching "Alderamin on the Sky" that is a bootleg mediocre Lelouch with low production values, slowly watching JoJo (never watched it until recently), Bersek (everything that is wrong with CGI)... maybe this "The Ancient Magus' Bride", seems to have good production values but the story is a bit meh (maybe it will get better later?)

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh poo poo, what if the time loop thing is explicitly a ploy by the Witch to make sure events happen exactly as they're needed in order to make Emilia the perfect vessel? If the gospel is prophetic, there could be a bunch of time-traveling puppetmastery going on in the background.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

blastron posted:

Oh poo poo, what if the time loop thing is explicitly a ploy by the Witch to make sure events happen exactly as they're needed in order to make Emilia the perfect vessel? If the gospel is prophetic, there could be a bunch of time-traveling puppetmastery going on in the background.

My impression from episode 1 was that the witch wanted to take somebody from other dimension that can love her. Basically, that nobody else will love her in the current world she lives.
For a demi god (or perhaps complete god) is a not a very ambitious desire. To be loved.

The other 23 episodes, reading wikis, reading spoilers, have not changed this opinions much. Things are much much more complicated, who is the witch, who is satella, who did what, emilia, the bishops. It still seems to be that the witch want only Subaru love, for no particular reason other than she don't have that, and even random people in this world have that (love).

Anyway maybe the author have not a firme idea about these things and write in a way many different theories can be true, not choosing one as the right one.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 12, 2016

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Agronox posted:

That's true, but each of the candidate's champions has been extraordinary in some way; perhaps they'd expect him to... not be as horrifically idiotic as he came off at first blush.

Considering how ridiculous his personality shift was, if I were in their position I'd almost assume that him acting like an idiot was a weird ploy. "Was that him trying to make us underestimate him or...I don't know. Like, he's really smart, but that was really dumb, so could that thing he did have somehow been very smart? I...I don't know. I'm so very confused by this weird dude."

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

You know, Subaru's change to an outside observer must be loving bewildering. It's only been 3 days, at most, since he humiliated himself at the court. Since then, he's

-shrewdly negotiated with 2 of the other royal candidates to the point that their opinion of him did a near 180.

-led the charge against an unstoppable behemoth that had terrorized the country for 400 years by acting as bait

-showed an indomitable spirit during the battle and came up with a brilliant, if completely insane, tactic that was instrumental in victory

-devised an intricate plan against the witch's cult that lead to a near crushing victory with almost no loss of life

I love how he can do anything "against all odds", because when you have infinite tries and all you need is one success ... success is a certainty.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hopeford posted:

Considering how ridiculous his personality shift was, if I were in their position I'd almost assume that him acting like an idiot was a weird ploy. "Was that him trying to make us underestimate him or...I don't know. Like, he's really smart, but that was really dumb, so could that thing he did have somehow been very smart? I...I don't know. I'm so very confused by this weird dude."

I phrased what I was trying to say pretty poorly and what you said is much better. I agree. Yeah, the other candidates may think of Subaru as crazy like a fox, acting like a moron at first to get everyone else to let down their guards or something.

I wonder if what Julius, Felis, et alia really think of him is fleshed out in the web novels.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I love how he can do anything "against all odds", because when you have infinite tries and all you need is one success ... success is a certainty.

Unless you break inside.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mindblast posted:

Unless you break inside.

Beep boop just kill the feelings!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Or if your success comes at great sacrifice. I could only imagine him coming so far through a reset only to lose Rem at the very end and having to choose between death or moving on with Emilia.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Or if your success comes at great sacrifice. I could only imagine him coming so far through a reset only to lose Rem at the very end and having to choose between death or moving on with Emilia.

A save with someone important dead could be very interesting. I don't think he'd take it well.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

A save with someone important dead could be very interesting. I don't think he'd take it well.

That would be one way to reset some of his development. Otherwise, I can't think of much that could revert him to a gibbering idiot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Donnerberg posted:

I want Subaru to keep living his life like I play Fire Emblem games. Reset if someone dies. Always, without exception, regardless of frustration.

No one dies permanently on Subaru's watch.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ChronoReverse posted:

That would be one way to reset some of his development. Otherwise, I can't think of much that could revert him to a gibbering idiot.

Another one would be a "no solution without someone important dying" scenario.

Do we know for sure the next/last ep will be 40 minutes?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Mindblast posted:

Do we know for sure the next/last ep will be 40 minutes?

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but the fact is that the official RZ anime website has all the BDs listed, and the final volume contains eps 24-25 at a runtime of 50 minutes combined. The first volume had eps 1-2 and says 75 minutes. Moreover, two different channels (TV Tokyo and AT-X) have given ep 25 a 30 minute slot in their timetables next week.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I want Subaru to keep living his life like I play Fire Emblem games. Reset if someone dies. Always, without exception, regardless of frustration.

No one dies permanently on Subaru's watch.

This

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Cool series, late but I finally caught up, great stuff, etc etc. Notably, I really liked how in-show characters were calling Subaru out for being crazy selfish in that one arc, and all the VAs doing Betelgeuse.

But I think I'm the only person in the world that likes Ram more than Rem. Maybe because I didn't follow the series week to week, or skipped all the minis, or I'm just a jaded anime hipster, but Ram is #1.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

AnacondaHL posted:

Cool series, late but I finally caught up, great stuff, etc etc. Notably, I really liked how in-show characters were calling Subaru out for being crazy selfish in that one arc, and all the VAs doing Betelgeuse.

But I think I'm the only person in the world that likes Ram more than Rem. Maybe because I didn't follow the series week to week, or skipped all the minis, or I'm just a jaded anime hipster, but Ram is #1.

Ram certainly has an ineffable tsun-thing that differentiates her from Rem over dere.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

7 episodes in. This show loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spiritus Nox posted:

7 episodes in. This show loving owns.

You're still a long ways, both time- and quality-wise, from maximum ownage.

• Locked thread