Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
All of the Tegra family of processors are actually really good at FP16 operations which the other customers don't even natively support, so you would actually be able to run certain engines(mainly unreal 4) super well on this thing and get comparable results to the more powerful over that are having to brute force it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

All of the Tegra family of processors are actually really good at FP16 operations which the other customers don't even natively support, so you would actually be able to run certain engines(mainly unreal 4) super well on this thing and get comparable results to the more powerful over that are having to brute force it.

Wow, that's really interesting.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And thoroughly pointless, because the NX is powered by the same chipsets you could find in a microwave circa 1988.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's cool how strict Yoshi's Wooly World is about colors of yarn. Like the yarn ball you get for eating an enemy matches the enemies main color, the yarn collectibles for the yoshi unlocks match the colors of the yoshi itself, and the color balls on unlocked level are all logical as well. There's so much attention to detail in that game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It would be a difficult task to port Breath of the Wild to a system only designed to display four numbers but of course Nintendo is amazing and did it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Phantasium posted:

It would be a difficult task to port Breath of the Wild to a system only designed to display four numbers but of course Nintendo is amazing and did it.

It really is a portable system!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

InFlames235 posted:

No one knows what processor is in it yet. Could be the Tegra X2 which would make it compete actually very well with the graphics fidelity of upcoming consoles.

Its a custom x1.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
The NX Processor is a X3 which runs on hopes, dreams, sunshine, rainbows, pixie dust, and dancing unicorns.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It runs on the X7, which is the worst game in the series, and the X6, which is poorly designed but which got poo poo out in a year.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

elf help book posted:

It really is a portable system!

This explains their team up with Apple.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

It runs on the X7, which is the worst game in the series, and the X6, which is poorly designed but which got poo poo out in a year.

Mega Man 7 was made in like 3 months and it's great.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

greatn posted:

Every console port that isn't Doom 3 runs like dogshit on the Shield so I'm willing to bet the results aren't as comparable as you think. And that's fine. Not leaning into multiplat console war is smart for Nintendo at this point, especially if they're emphasizing across the board portability.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheScott2K posted:

Every console port that isn't Doom 3 runs like dogshit on the Shield so I'm willing to bet the results aren't as comparable as you think. And that's fine. Not leaning into multiplat console war is smart for Nintendo at this point, especially if they're emphasizing across the board portability.

That's not how it works. The Shield uses Android as a base for the OS, which has a comical amount of overhead keeping the software further away from the hardware.

If you custom built an OS for that thing that allowed Devs better access to the hardware you would see much better performance.

This isn't going to be some multiplat powerhouse or anything but using the shield's performance as a base is a bit off.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Rumor is the NX actually has an Nvidia Titan X in it with a core i7 processor. It will weigh 50 lbs but be sold as not only a gaming system but a way to be healthier since you can use it as a weight to lift at the gym.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

Mega Man 7 was made in like 3 months and it's great.

The port for NX has taken like 3 years and will be Retro's new game.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Dexo posted:

That's not how it works. The Shield uses Android as a base for the OS, which has a comical amount of overhead keeping the software further away from the hardware.

If you custom built an OS for that thing that allowed Devs better access to the hardware you would see much better performance.

This isn't going to be some multiplat powerhouse or anything but using the shield's performance as a base is a bit off.

This may have been true in the days of Windows 3.1, where your GUI OS got slapped on top of the OS your system booted into, but it's really not true at all anymore. "Muh resources!" really isn't costing you all this magical performance. Console games benefit from static hardware targets, but that comes on the form of optimizations working equally well on every box, not some magical "better access to hardware," whatever the gently caress that means. Hardware - be it on a console running on whatever OS the PS4 has, or assembled components running Windows - tends to run more or less as its specs say it will. Modern OSes know how to get out of the way, Android included. The Shield is as good an example of plug-it-into-the-wall Tegra X1 as can be found, and you can't just wrote off its shortcomings as "well, you know, ANROID!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've heard Android actually sucks at getting out of the way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

greatn posted:

I've heard Android actually sucks at getting out of the way.

I won't stand for such racism against our robotic friends.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What does it mean for the OS to get out of the way?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

It has to do with downloading more RAM.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's amazing that the NX could finally download more RAM and make rubes of millions of jokesters, dare I say memers, on the Internet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TheScott2K posted:

Console games benefit from static hardware targets, but that comes on the form of optimizations working equally well on every box, not some magical "better access to hardware," whatever the gently caress that means. Hardware - be it on a console running on whatever OS the PS4 has, or assembled components running Windows - tends to run more or less as its specs say it will.

its not magical, its that on console devs generally code to the metal, or close, rather than having to use abstraction layers. windows etc have to go through directx because the hardware configurations available on pc make it impossible to do anything but generalize, whereas on dedicated hardware you are able to code for the specific things you know will be there. thats why relatively underpowered boxes like the ps4 are able to push out games like uc4 while a pc using a strict spec match would be utterly unable. thats where the optimisations come from, lower level access for developers. please never talk about things you dont understand again, thank you.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
^ He said it better

Guy Goodbody posted:

Less overhead. Android is fairly notorious for having a fairly large overhead cost when running games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

its not magical, its that on console devs generally code to the metal

Man, I have no idea how computers work.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

InFlames235 posted:

Rumor is the NX actually has an Nvidia Titan X in it with a core i7 processor. It will weigh 50 lbs but be sold as not only a gaming system but a way to be healthier since you can use it as a weight to lift at the gym.

And all powered by a deep cycle marine battery

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux disagrees (with bonus impossible-to-test Uncharted 4 example) so for the purposes of this thread I am right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what is it?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Stux disagrees (with bonus impossible-to-test Uncharted 4 example) so for the purposes of this thread I am right.

you should probably stop posting for a bit

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's good for couch co-op.

The later worlds and the secret levels really are not though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

TheScott2K posted:

ok lets do this instead then:

ps4 hardware available in games: 6 jaguar cpu cores at 1.6ghz, 6gb of ram and a gpu comparable to a 7870 which shares with the main system memory.

go find any multiplatform game you want and see if it hits the minimum specs on pc.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm late but hey:

1. Nintendo Land - Honestly justified my console purchase within the first month. Best "casual" multiplayer game I've ever experienced outside of Rock Band 3.
2. Tropical Freeze - Got it pretty late when it was a Club Nintendo reward. Assumed it wouldn't live up to Goon hype but boy was I wrong. One of the few games I've bothered to 100% in my adult life.
3. Splatoon - Jeeze, how is this game so good. Can zone out and play it for hours and I'm not even into online shooters.
4. Pikmin 3 - Beautiful and fleeting, like a dream. Might be a spot higher if it was a bit longer. But man I had a great time playing this.
5. NSMBU - I have weird friends that couldn't really get into 3D World, so New U is the one I had the most multiplayer fun with, giving it the slight edge in the field of Wii U Mario.

Can't wait to see what the NX will bring us. :allears:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Real hurthling! posted:

what are the worst or most forgettable nintendo published retail wii u games?

amiibo festival?

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X

lol

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah I bought a Wii U partly on the expectation that Xenoblade X would be good but I never even ended up playing it.
Also Rayman Legends, which is more fun on literally every other platform because playing as Murphy sucks.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I've played some good games on the Wii U, but to me Splatoon remains as the clear highlight. Hell, it's why I got the system in the first place. Other good games worth checking: Super Mario Maker, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Also special mention for Project Zero 5 for being something that I plan to continue playing but always postpone it.

As for disappointments, Mario Kart 8 is clearly that. It's not bad, it's just... there. There's nothing that really grabs me, and I've played Mario Kart 7 to death.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 12, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Mario Kart 8 is like way better than Mario Kart 7 though

7 is like the prime example of a barebones Mario Kart game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I 100% thought I was done with Mario Kart forever, had just played enough, and wasn't sure why I had bought even the DS version because I was tired of it by then. But then they had that Buy 1 Get 1 deal for MK8's launch, and Best Buy also had a nice preorder deal on top of that, so I figured I'd try it anyway. And I love so so much.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Smash bros was the worst game because of this BULLSHIT right here:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheany posted:

Smash bros was the worst game because of this BULLSHIT right here:

Why didn't they just give her bloomers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pay $2.99 to see Princess' Peach, day one Smash NX DLC.

• Locked thread