Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just have a hard time believing Nancy Reagan would push for advances in stem cell research without the horrible helplessness of watching her hubbie turn into barely ambulatory pudding. Much in the way they were both AIDS LOLZ until Rock Hudson bit it .

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Reminds me of something I read here about why Gay rights turned around so quick, "rich white people support gay rights because they won't wake up one morning to find out their kid is black and poor."
Or the way that suddenly, mysteriously, the Opioid Epidemic demands us to invest into community rehab services, counseling and support structures, instead of locking everyone up forever and ever amen. Who will help our poor, white, struggling north-easterners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

I love that half the links in the first page of the Reddit Politics sub-forum are about Hillary's health, and nothing about Trump boasting about the Twin Towers falling. That should be more than enough to end his campaign. I just don't get it.

The bolded part explains it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

na, the swastika was borrowed from sogdian buddhist kingdoms with that emblem

Oh really.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

zoux posted:

Oh really.

Yes, hope this helps :grin:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure Dr. James Swastika invented and patented it.

Like it is named after him and everything. Why would they name it after him if he didn't invent it??

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lastgirl posted:

The Swastika predates Buddhism, it shows up in a ton of cultures all over the world. It's just a simple, cool looking symbol.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

I love that half the links in the first page of the Reddit Politics sub-forum are about Hillary's health, and nothing about Trump boasting about the Twin Towers falling. That should be more than enough to end his campaign. I just don't get it.

Well, if Clinton's team is smart, they'll circle back to that in ads, tv appearances, the debates, etc. Because yeah, that is pretty fertile ground.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/WardDPatrick/status/775362544387166208
Fly safe, America's Step-Dad :allears:

Speaking of VPs!
https://twitter.com/MiekeEoyang/status/775361371831734276

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

Somehow by 2012 he had gone full in on Romney and would smugly act like Romney was 100% certain to win and ended up eating an 11 year probation.

The "somehow" is that Obama said mean things about bankers, and he was a banker.

Majorian posted:

Arzy, come back. We need this in this thread.

You gotta wait like 7 more years for that. Or CelestialScribe is his alt account.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Majorian posted:

Arzy, come back. We need this in this thread.

no gently caress you

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Trabisnikof posted:

Uh I'm pretty sure Dr. James Swastika invented and patented it.

Like it is named after him and everything. Why would they name it after him if he didn't invent it??

Good point, I'll have to check my notes on this important matter.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The bolded part explains it.
For as much creativity and interesting stories that come out of that place, the unmoderated speech really had a mutagenic effect on anyone young or impressionable enough to think fagnignogchink is the height of comedy. Thanks for the alt-right, reddit.

There's no big mystery to Trump's Teflon coating... his image is vigorously scrubbed by the kind of bigots that cower behind online anonymity, or who are feeling marginalized by multiculturalism, or who are seeing their futures vanish due to a number of factors.

It doesn't help that the media won't take him to task, and instead will assemble an avengers panel of mediocrity where someone will say "I'd like to note that his claim was true and the Trump towers WERE the highest structure in NY on 9/12/2001 USA USA USA #1!" or "Yes it's in bad taste but Donald Trump personally helped orphans out of a burning Tower 7 fire so cut him some slack".

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Swastika predates Buddhism, it shows up in a ton of cultures all over the world. It's just a simple, cool looking symbol.

Hitler should have used the Cool S for the SS.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's what he did, why do you think so many white people like to use them?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

IMO that's a pretty cool S they used. I'm disappointed that they made it a symbol for something so awful.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uranium 235 posted:

IMO that's a pretty cool S they used. I'm disappointed that they made it a symbol for something so awful.

If the Nazis were good guys, you wouldn't have to feel bad about their cool uniforms

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's what he did, why do you think so many white people like to use them?

Show me an SS flag that uses this:

:colbert:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
USPOL September: Actually you see the swastika,

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea it's important to remember a good amount of the press orgs she's 'cold' with are the exact same ones who literally told her to get back in the kitchen and apologize for daring to say a woman should be free to decide if she wants a career or domestic life and both are equally valid choices.

That was 25-30 years ago though, those people don't even with at those outlets anymore.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The cool S also serves double duty as an "88" when you put two of them together.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

That was 25-30 years ago though, those people don't even with at those outlets anymore.

yes I'm talking about the outlets not the people, hence 'orgs'. Shockingly that wasn't the only time those outlets were lovely and stupid, that was just more the general tone setting event for how they'd be covering her.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

iospace posted:

See, this is the problem that we have. Yeah, Nancy's support for it may have very well been because of Ronnie, BUT I'LL STILL TAKE HER SUPPORT OF IT. It's not like we have to reject someone's support because their views don't match up with ours.
We don't have to reject her support but she doesn't deserve praise, either. Motives matter.

If she doesn't support basic good things until they affect her personally, then she certainly has a ton of other lovely opinions on things that haven't affected her personally yet. That makes her a worthless ally for good opinion-havers. Furthermore drawing attention to her handful of good opinions will prompt people who don't know her well to just assume she's a legit good person, and will take her more seriously as such. This allows her to be a drag on progress in other areas.

Beyond "so we can count on your vote in November? yes? great thanks" (alternately: "no? okay gently caress off then") there is not really anything to be gained in talking about how she has a handful of decent views now that she's a mom.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
I was always disappointed there were no other cool letters besides "S." Has anyone attempted to make a cool A-Z alphabet?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

greatn posted:

the new people are generally worse

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xarthor posted:

I was always disappointed there were no other cool letters besides "S." Has anyone attempted to make a cool A-Z alphabet?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

greatn posted:

Kilroy posted:

the new people are generally worse

The "new people" are people whose formative media experience was the Clinton Years. Like they were little kids and they saw that fuckcluster of a media circus and said "I wanna be that when I grow up".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Uranium 235 posted:

I thought the symbol for something awful was a grenade?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

are there really people that think of themselves as Hard Working People. like, do they nod along to that LIKE YOU bit

what a bunch of boring wankers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tiler Kiwi posted:

are there really people that think of themselves as Hard Working People. like, do they nod along to that LIKE YOU bit

yeah tons of people think of themselves as hard workers who have common sense, like this is basically the default placeholder mindset of people who lack any introspection

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Among other bits of terrible this has been blowing up my Facebook.

https://themarshallreport.wordpress.com/2016/09/11/does-hillary-have-a-double/

I honestly don't get how someone with a masters can share this kind of poo poo on the reg. She teaches english at a college too so she knows what the gently caress a credible source is but she can't apply that to politics. She's my best friends mom or I would have unfriended her a long time ago.

what if it's actually hillary's double who got sick and she's healthy?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FilthyImp posted:

I just have a hard time believing Nancy Reagan would push for advances in stem cell research without the horrible helplessness of watching her hubbie turn into barely ambulatory pudding. Much in the way they were both AIDS LOLZ until Rock Hudson bit it .

Or the way that suddenly, mysteriously, the Opioid Epidemic demands us to invest into community rehab services, counseling and support structures, instead of locking everyone up forever and ever amen. Who will help our poor, white, struggling north-easterners!

That's the most darkly humorous part of the opioid problem - for decades people with addiction were marginalized as junkies who look a certain way. Now it's Vern who lives down the street and hasn't been showing up to Elks meetings as often as he used to. People didnt think anything of the criminalization of addiction until their valedictorian daughter was found with her lungs full of vomit and a needle in her arm.

Comedically, that perception of black people as junkies means doctors didn't do the overprescription antics they did with white people over the past few decades, so it's largely old whitey ODing on heroin or the hillbilly variant thereof.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

FAUXTON posted:

That's the most darkly humorous part of the opioid problem - for decades people with addiction were marginalized as junkies who look a certain way. Now it's Vern who lives down the street and hasn't been showing up to Elks meetings as often as he used to. People didnt think anything of the criminalization of addiction until their valedictorian daughter was found with her lungs full of vomit and a needle in her arm.

Comedically, that perception of black people as junkies means doctors didn't do the overprescription antics they did with white people over the past few decades, so it's largely old whitey ODing on heroin or the hillbilly variant thereof.

It's actually just heroin now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Hillary Clinton actually died in 1991 and has been dying steadily ever since, by now we're actually voting for her tenth body double.

Which btw also explains how she can change political positions while still remaining politically consistent.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You should email the editor. This could be important.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Hillary Clinton actually died in 1991 and has been dying steadily ever since, by now we're actually voting for her tenth body double.

Which btw also explains how she can change political positions while still remaining politically consistent.

Hillary is a Vorta????

My god it all makes sense.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/775316183692161024

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It's a dog whistle

The silent but implied part that follows is "unlike those freeloaders, you know who I'm talking about *wink nudge*"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There's a portrait of Hillary Clinton somewhere that is currently healthy, but will become sicker as she gets better.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's actually just heroin now.

Which shifted to fentanyl last year (50-100x more potent than heroin). And there have been reports of carfentanil appearing this year (100x more potent than fentanyl).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That's loving awful.

• Locked thread