Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope the navi can play Miku songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Toxxupation posted:

Yosuke's S-Link arc is about how he's struggling with Saki's death, but more about how he's super angry that his dad made him move out to the boonies and he thinks that Inaba sucks poo poo and was so excited when he got his Persona. Then, in his rank 10, he asks the MC to beat all of the lovely thoughts he has out of him. He's like Junpei, but lovely.

Josuke's is actually a way better version of the Junpei arc because Junpei's is wholly tied up with his own internal dick measuring contest with the Protagonist that the story never ever develops except for Junpei just getting more and more pissy towards a MC that never even really has the chance to talk to him about it. The only thing that ends his hissy fits is him meeting a girl that kind of barely tolerates him hanging around who then dies to give him a reason to not be such a huge baby. The script just doesn't really care about setting it up outside of him going "Wow you're so cool" after you put the level during the Priestess Full Moon fight and even that you're free to answer "Holy gently caress did we get lucky!" which kind of deflates the whole thing. After that it doesn't really pick back up until we're in full blown huffy, doesn't really wanna talk to you, Junpei time and sense he's his normal cheery self in between those two points it kind of feels tacked on.

Josuke's early S-link shows how the town of Inaba sees him as this weird invader that they're all kind of uncomfortable with because of who his dad is and what big business is doing to the town. This plays into him being happy that he's got this weird mystery and secret power to deal with, but part of him really hates that he's so excited with something that started with someone he cared about dying, but hey, at least he got a boyfriendClose partner out of it. His arc goes from him resenting the town and the people in there to resenting himself for weirdly enjoying what had happened. The fist fight is a follow up to a scene where he takes his not-boyfriend up to the romantic hill overlooking the town and declares that he has, through the love of his friends, overcome that self-hatred and really cares for the town, because its given him so much. He wants to defend it, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because the town and the people in it are important to him. The fist fight is him letting Yu and him get out any last traces of that resentment/jealousy/etc. so that now they can move forward as partners on a clean slate.

His arcs actually super good and well done, though it benefits greatly from having its own S-Link to pace itself through where as Junpei had to deal with being the C-Plotline that the game only got to when it could be bothered.

EDIT: What I'm saying is I wish those cut content lines Yosuke had made it into the final game because boy he's actually gay as hell. Kanji's just a dude who likes cute things and to sew, but Yosuke's entire S-Link has him and Yu getting way more personal and understanding of one another than 90% of the others and there's no off-ramp on the romantic aspects of it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 12, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Junpei is pretty chill in P3P (FeMC) though. He's your best friend and I liked it despite being tired of P3 after 4x.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, it very clearly is for Kanji, considering the route of most interactions between Kanji and Yosuke is "Kanji expresses discomfort or disinterest in an overtly heterosexual thing Yosuke wants to do -> Yosuke calls him gay or otherwise impugns his sexuality -> Kanji then gets all gung-ho about doing the thing because he has to prove his masculinity". Or Kanji just gets really obviously pissed off at an insult-disguised-as-joke Yosuke says to him.

I get what you're saying, but I'm quite certain Kanji would hypothetically get all gung-ho about Doing The Thing for other reasons as well. I also interpreted it as Kanji playing it up for the sake of hanging with friends, like how you normally play up roles/foibles when in a relaxed settings with only friends.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Alder posted:

Junpei is pretty chill in P3P (FeMC) though. He's your best friend and I liked it despite being tired of P3 after 4x.

Yeah for all the Faults of the FeMC specific S-Links (Romancing a 12 year old/Akihiko being the worst boyfriend in the world/Putting Shinji into a coma) Junpei's is actually perfect and fixes a lot of issues with his characterization in base/FES.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wanted to be able to kiss Junpei. Lame.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

THE FINAL BOSS IS KANJI is my favorite Persona 5 song.

hey it happens

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the famous dungeon theme, Nanako Was The Real Killer

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Yare yare daze at the last few pages

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
it's a few pages back now, but I tried it earlier today and Orgia Mode is fun, thanks Toxx.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I wanted to be able to kiss Junpei. Lame.

no. Trust me it's 100x better than immediately dating every female party member with MC's route.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Naoto's gender problem is less of her feeling like a boy and more about how she's annoyed that people won't take her seriously in a male-dominated industry because she's a young girl. So she pretends to be a boy so people would take her more seriously.

I missed this but this is actually why I really don't like Naoto and think her plot is dead on arrival. Because while her S-Link goes on and on about her feeling like no one respects her because she's a girl the main story has her as some special private detective brought into a small town police force to handle a very hot and publicized case oh and did I forget to mention she's barely a teenager?

The police not respecting her/not really going out of their way to help her with the case has nothing to do with her gender. The only complaints we see from the police side of it is Dojima's reactions and Adachi's secondhand accounts of Dojima's anger about it. He's mad that someone upstream from him sent a baby to 'Help him finish up this tough case'. He's a middle-aged seasoned detective with his own force to assist him on this home turf case and they send someone who looks barely out of Jr. High because they think she's got a better chance at cracking that nut than he does. What the main plot shows us and her feelings/S-Link just don't line up at all. I think the gender issues would be a lot more believable in any other persona game but, relatively speaking, P4 is pretty down to earth with the vast majority of its cast so the age difference really sticks out more than anything else.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My gay opinion: the Union games sound cool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It is outright stated by one of the officers you investigate that Naoto would throw tantrums at the police station and get upset because she felt the other officers weren't working to a standard she imposed on them and they felt she had some sort of inferiority complex. Her storyline isn't exactly compelling, but there is already establishment prior to it that they don't respect her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I missed this but this is actually why I really don't like Naoto and think her plot is dead on arrival. Because while her S-Link goes on and on about her feeling like no one respects her because she's a girl the main story has her as some special private detective brought into a small town police force to handle a very hot and publicized case oh and did I forget to mention she's barely a teenager?

The police not respecting her/not really going out of their way to help her with the case has nothing to do with her gender. The only complaints we see from the police side of it is Dojima's reactions and Adachi's secondhand accounts of Dojima's anger about it. He's mad that someone upstream from him sent a baby to 'Help him finish up this tough case'. He's a middle-aged seasoned detective with his own force to assist him on this home turf case and they send someone who looks barely out of Jr. High because they think she's got a better chance at cracking that nut than he does. What the main plot shows us and her feelings/S-Link just don't line up at all. I think the gender issues would be a lot more believable in any other persona game but, relatively speaking, P4 is pretty down to earth with the vast majority of its cast so the age difference really sticks out more than anything else.

Her trying to act way older than she actually is and believing that her youth interferes with how she believes she's perceived in her job is absolutely a thing that gets brought up. Like, not just with her shadow being a crybaby or anything, it's in her SLink as well.

I guess maybe I could understand that her story might flow better if it focused on either her issues with her age or gender instead of doing both. I think it still comes across fine though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Baal posted:

It is outright stated by one of the officers you investigate that Naoto would throw tantrums at the police station and get upset because she felt the other officers weren't working to a standard she imposed on them and they felt she had some sort of inferiority complex. Her storyline isn't exactly compelling, but there is already establishment prior to it that they don't respect her.

I didn't mean that the script doesn't set up that the officers didn't disrespect her, it's that they disrespect her because they see her as a child that's been forced on them because the higher ups don't think they're good enough. That does not really lead to her Shadow/S-Link problems since those are all her feeling people believe she's inadequate because she's a woman when it's because she's a baby. (Drunk?) Dojima refers to her as "They sent that drat kid." IIRC which paints it more as these middle aged detectives don't take this child seriously, not that they don't take this woman seriously. It makes he plot line feel very disjointed from the rest of the game on top of it feeling disjointed because she's a teenage super detective in a game where the other main cast members are "My dad manages the local walmart!" and "I'm a hyper active tomboy."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is naoto beter in her manga where she has long hair tho

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

is naoto beter in her manga where she has long hair tho

Isn't her boyfriend one of the Aigis-line robo real dolls in that?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naoto is better in the anime when she's voiced by McGlynn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFx-TTlj6Og

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Naoto is in fact best in the P4G animation where she gets decked out in riot gear and does a tactical entry on the christmas party because she's a dumbass.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yu from the Persona 4 Anime owns so unbelievably hard. I need to see the Persona 4 Anime.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like seriously "Which chick? Oh right, funbags." has the most unbelievable loving delivery.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Was the P4G anime any good? I dropped it after the first episode was bad and heard it would focus on the worst character.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Her trying to act way older than she actually is and believing that her youth interferes with how she believes she's perceived in her job is absolutely a thing that gets brought up. Like, not just with her shadow being a crybaby or anything, it's in her SLink as well.

I guess maybe I could understand that her story might flow better if it focused on either her issues with her age or gender instead of doing both. I think it still comes across fine though.

Yeah they bring it up but it feels kind of ancillary to the gender thing, and it's made even worse if you make the (incorrect) choice of going down the romance route or choosing to spend any special events/holidays with her.

I dunno, it's just my view on it but it just feels completely disconnected from what we see before we hit her S. Link and since she's the one character we spend the most time with before she gets her Persona and joins the Squad it just kind of falls flat on its face to me. Everything about her just kind of feels out of place, like she doesn't really connect with anyone else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

My gay opinion: the Union games sound cool
they are cool

yggdra union is the only TL'd one but it's about the the lengths people will go to to cast themselves as the hero, how your culture and upbringing informs your view of the world, and how easy it is generalize and diminish people who don't share the same perspective as you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czmaz3fCELc

and good music and weirdly cute art

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you do play yggdra union, i'd recommend the psp version over the gba version. the psp version has voice acting, a better tutorial, and a few extra recruits that are strong enough to make the game's difficulty curve a little gentler, something it kind of needs.

and you can get the psp version on vita psn, versus paying 60-80 bucks on ebay

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh and did I forget to mention she's barely a teenager?

The news in Inaba has a weird hang up about teenagers having jobs, between Yukiko and Naoto.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The singer they got for the music in P5 does not sound good imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtSQURp9F38

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
OH MY GOD THIS MIX OF THE P1 THEME INTO P5'S IS loving AMAZING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maDJN1fa4c8

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baal posted:

I've heard two different versions of this, one with different vocals and one without them entirely and both of them sound better than this, it's a shame really

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

also i'm a big dumb spoiler baby so this is probably where i drop out

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
RIP Aristocrates

Here is some more good music, idk what is though it sounds very bossish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG9FtZtx78A

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Baal posted:

Keeping with the series tradition.

Edit: Well, ok, there are exceptions. The singer for Poem of Everyone's souls is good, and there's Persona Ondo too...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the singer for persona 3 was good

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone else who pre ordered through amiami been asked about payment details or anything? I haven't heard from them aside from getting a tote bag included with my order

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

Has anyone else who pre ordered through amiami been asked about payment details or anything? I haven't heard from them aside from getting a tote bag included with my order

I haven't received anything so far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Iirc, Amiami didn't ship the game until like a day or two before it came out, so you'll probably get something within the next few days

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Now the singers for the franchise are bad? This really is the SMT thread.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo, God forbid someone voice their loving opinion on a thing, you annoying git.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
FWIW, I'm not hearing anything even mildly subpar about the vocals on this. The mix is a little different from the preview tracks, but I don't think it's any worse.

While we're on the subject, though, am I the only one who preferred the first trailer to the final opening movie? It seems stranger to include several of the playable characters in just a single brief shot than it did to stick to just the initial party, and I miss the guitar riff that coincided with Ryuji playing air guitar.