Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wooper posted:

what's the point of alt history maps when there is more history to use for maps

Different combinations of factions, mostly. Plus they could throw in more ahistorical vehicles or weapons if they wanted to get a little silly with it. A WW1 US Civil War map pack would probably sell a billion copies too, but creating a fake 20th Century Confederacy for racists to yearn for is probably a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They should have just gone with the whole game being alt-history anyway. Solves all complaints about automatic weapons and fully justifies war blimps and armored trains and stuff.

As far as I'm concerned it's already alt-history and good that way.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FastestGunAlive posted:

Before the stalemate began, the Germans came within 43 miles of Paris in about a month. Were most of them marching on foot? That's some serious movement. So even on the western front there is room for more than just trench maps

From what I remember reading in A World Undone yeah, the French, British and German armies were all moving primarily on foot during that offensive, and the pace was so fast that both sides were only really capable of sporadic battles due to exhaustion. Like, the Germans were marching upwards of 20 miles a day with 80 pounds of gear on them.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

From what I remember reading in A World Undone yeah, the French, British and German armies were all moving primarily on foot during that offensive, and the pace was so fast that both sides were only really capable of sporadic battles due to exhaustion. Like, the Germans were marching upwards of 20 miles a day with 80 pounds of gear on them.

Yep. I remember reading that horses died from overwork before the German army even crossed the border into Belgium.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
who knows if this is true but..... https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/52db66/bf1important_no_rcon_or_traditional_server/

even though its not a great move, it does have the benefit of not having to worry about shitlord server admins and terrible plugins

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've never understood why they've done single player campaigns for these games.

If they're going to do anything like that at all, they should just present you with a big open page of pre-made scenarios for you to play through. No cohesive story, no linear progression, no having to complete single player scenario 1/level 1 to get to scenario 2/level2. Just a big page of options for when you want to do some kick rear end poo poo offline.

Scenario A - Sneak and snipe your way through a huge rear end map with several towns of guarding NPC AI
Scenario B - Defend your outpost or adjacent friendly outposts by using heavy artillery to fend off attack waves
Scenario C - Arial dog fighting
Scenario D - You and a team of your buds charge up and rambo the gently caress out of a bunch of huge rear end forts one after the other.

...and so on.

Seems like that would be a lot easier and fun to do than writing and scripting a big story nobody will like or care about.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
That sucks but then again I was a poo poo lord admin in bf3. Dumbass snipers sitting as far away as possible for those leet shots wouldn't get kicked. I would just team swap them back and forth when they spawned in so they couldn't actually play

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

GreatGreen posted:

It's a feature box that they can check off which probably helps move copies- and it's not like they haven't made good singleplayer games before. Bad company 1 was like a bizarro battlefield where the singleplayer campaign was actually fun while the multiplayer was trash

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

If they're going to do anything like that at all, they should just present you with a big open page of pre-made scenarios for you to play through. No cohesive story, no linear progression, no having to complete single player scenario 1/level 1 to get to scenario 2/level2. Just a big page of options for when you want to do some kick rear end poo poo offline.

Scenario A - Sneak and snipe your way through a huge rear end map with several towns of guarding NPC AI
Scenario B - Defend your outpost or adjacent friendly outposts by using heavy artillery to fend off attack waves
Scenario D - You and a team of your buds charge up and rambo the gently caress out of a bunch of huge rear end forts one after the other.

...and so on.

Seems like that would be a lot easier and fun to do than writing and scripting a big story nobody will like or care about.

A lot of people were really mad that they didn't include singleplayer for Star Wars Battlefront. It's a feature a lot of people care about, and I'm sure there are still some people who never play multiplayer at all. Having one-off scenarios without the need for a ludicrous campaign wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The majority of people do not give a gently caress about multiplayer. Most gamers don't post on forums. This is the equivalent of like the truck forums where 500 dudes discuss everything under the sun about the F150 while a hundred million people just dgaf and drive one around every day.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

K8.0 posted:

The majority of people do not give a gently caress about multiplayer

Is that really still true? I know it was at one point for Call of Duty games at least, but buying Battlefield games for singleplayer alone seems crazy. Every DLC for every shooter being solely focused on multiplayer seems like it would be crazy if that's true too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

A lot of people were really mad that they didn't include singleplayer for Star Wars Battlefront. It's a feature a lot of people care about, and I'm sure there are still some people who never play multiplayer at all. Having one-off scenarios without the need for a ludicrous campaign wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though.

For Battlefront specifically gently caress a campaign but what would have been awesome is the return of Galactic Conquest mode.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

Is that really still true? I know it was at one point for Call of Duty games at least, but buying Battlefield games for singleplayer alone seems crazy. Every DLC for every shooter being solely focused on multiplayer seems like it would be crazy if that's true too.

The people who play multiplayer are the ones who stick around, so it makes sense to produce DLC for them. Singleplayer people buy the game, play through it once or twice and are then done with it- but they still probably represent a significant portion of release sales and are well worth catering to

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah pre-ordering makes exactly no sense.

I guess if you really want to play the game three days earlier than most.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sure I read something that said DICE released stats that a ton of people who bought BF4 never touched the multiplayer...

I actually enjoyed the BF3 co-op missions, playing with a friend.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Single player was trash in bf4 and 3 (coop was okay) but I'm looking forward to this one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Its completely true. It's true for every genre you'd assume the opposite. The majority of people who bought Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 have never played a game with another person.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

It happened when EA decided the series really needed to compete with call of duty as much as possible, aside from the console battlefields which had campaigns before that point. But those were kind of their own things anyway, due to being unable to support 64 player games on the scale established by 1942

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Before the stalemate began, the Germans came within 43 miles of Paris in about a month. Were most of them marching on foot? That's some serious movement. So even on the western front there is room for more than just trench maps

They were. And while there were efforts to maintain rail based supply lines to the armies on the move, they were effectively reliant on horses for materiel transport.

Even on the Western Front there's tons of crazy poo poo going on. Even the Somme, one of the two most image defining meat-grinders of the war, saw significant success from the French units and the British right wing in the opening days with the possibility of a breakthrough. The Spring Offensive produced advances on the order of 50 miles, and the Hundred Days saw almost the entire line roll back the other way; both feature very mobile warfare.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GreatGreen posted:

...and so on.

Battlefield Modern Combat actually had a campaign that was story and scripting light and perfectly suited to the unique gameplay of the Battlefield series, it's a shame we're never getting anything like it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDnfzyQfDxI

K8.0 posted:

The majority of people do not give a gently caress about multiplayer. Most gamers don't post on forums. This is the equivalent of like the truck forums where 500 dudes discuss everything under the sun about the F150 while a hundred million people just dgaf and drive one around every day.
Well it may not be a majority in every case, with the COD games it looks like the split is roughly half:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.937820-Call-of-Duty-campaigns-are-very-popular-The-data-says-so

quote:

According to Trueachievements data, over half of tracked players finished the campaigns in BOII, Ghosts, and Advanced Warfare.

Advanced Warfare (Xbox One) (102,971 tracked)
92% complete first mission
64% complete campaign.

http://www.trueachievements.com/Call-of-Duty-Advanced-Warfare/achievements.htm

Ghosts (Xbox One) (72,671 tracked)
92% complete first mission.
60% complete campaign

http://www.trueachievements.com/Call-of-Duty-Ghosts/achievements.htm

Black Ops II (Xbox 360) (173,509 tracked)
83% completed first mission
56% complete campaign

http://www.trueachievements.com/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-II/achievements.htm

According to Steam data:

33.8% completed Black Ops II
40.4% completed Ghosts.
40% completed Advanced Warfare.

And like Xbox One data, on PC around 80-90% of players finish at least one campaign level.

To compare, on PC, 42.3% of players finished Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Put simply, the first argument you hear, that "most players never even touch the campaigns" is total nonsense, and the second argument, that "only a tiny percentage of players ever finish the campaigns" is also nonsense. 40-60% of players finishing campaigns which cost tens of millions of dollars to make is really, really good. That's back-slapping, "Yay team!" success right there. The notion that these campaigns are something players don't want is directly contradicted by the data.
So it makes sense why EA puts money into COD-clone campaigns for the Battlefield series - because they don't want to end up with another TITANFALL.

Sinteres posted:

Yep, the previous Battlefronts had singleplayer campaigns so you can't blame people for expecting the same for BF3, instead of a few coop quick practice modes. The thing is the previous Battlefront campaigns were pretty much botmatches like the first 4 Battlefield games, but strung together with just a bit more story and text. It was well within EA's power and resources to come up with something at least as good as BF2.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Eonwe posted:

who knows if this is true but..... https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/52db66/bf1important_no_rcon_or_traditional_server/

even though its not a great move, it does have the benefit of not having to worry about shitlord server admins and terrible plugins

no pistols only servers anymore? 😢😢

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I miss 1942 where the enemy ai would take a tank and sit in the gunner slot without moving

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Eonwe posted:

This is a bad decision. Sure there are shitlord admins, but there are also good ones. And that is very important for keeping the community alive.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I guess if you really want to play the game three days earlier than most.

I'm sure I read something that said DICE released stats that a ton of people who bought BF4 never touched the multiplayer...

I actually enjoyed the BF3 co-op missions, playing with a friend.

Can't find the article or forum post, but yea :dice: said something like 50% of their players only play SP then never go online. So as crazy as it sounds, there are people who don't care for MP :shrug:

efb with console stats

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sinteres posted:

Yes, it is. As to DLC, it's hard to milk casuals for money, especially because the average gamer generally doesn't even beat the games they buy. Go look at Steam Achievement Stats - for example, Portal 2 which was a very popular game and not very long or particularly hard, only about 2/3 of the people who bought it have played at all, and only about 1/2 of those people have finished the single player - and that's on Steam, where these types of games are selling to more hardcore players than on console. And consoles are still a very hardcore market compared to the casual phone and PC gamers that are the most common.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is a bad decision. Sure there are shitlord admins, but there are also good ones. And that is very important for keeping the community alive.

Yeah, real server management is key. I remember how much better BF4 got when one server just turned off the gunship. Custom map rotations are absolutely key too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sinteres posted:

...but creating a fake 20th Century Confederacy for racists to yearn for is probably a bad idea.

Which is worse: An alt-history game where you can play as the CSA, or a real-history game where you can play as Nazi Germany?

:can:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

moist turtleneck posted:

I miss 1942 where the enemy ai would take a tank and sit in the gunner slot without moving

Remember when the 1942 Anti-Tank AI decided crawling and always crawling in a conga line was the way to go?

Seriously would love a Battlefield Megathread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Remember when the 1942 Anti-Tank AI decided crawling and always crawling in a conga line was the way to go?

Seriously would love a Battlefield Megathread.

make one buddy, ill post in it

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Which is worse: An alt-history game where you can play as the CSA, or a real-history game where you can play as Nazi Germany?

In a perfect world it wouldn't matter because people wouldn't idealize either one, but in the real world I think it's safer to portray the evil that actually did exist and lost as it happened rather than artificially extending the lifespan of the traitorous American slave nation to eras in which it didn't exist. I personally would be fine with pretty much any faction being playable as long as they aren't glamorized, but I understand that it is a sensitive issue, which is why singleplayer campaigns featuring Germans are almost non-existent.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm still hoping we get a preview on the Italian and Hungarian armies/maps. It'd be neat.

MrYenko posted:

gently caress that noise, make the game historically accurate and make the players of either of those factions suffer to win.

Or risk it and make a Napoleonic Wars game. Get in son.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or risk it and make a Napoleonic Wars game. Get in son.

Battlefield 0.5

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

Battlefield 0.5

Gears Of War style loading minigame game for the muskets. Hit that sweet spot if you want to shoot accurate or just hammer like crazy to shoots faster.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Eonwe posted:

Awesome, simply awesome. I don't even want to know what kind of twisted S.O.B. would want to play a Battlefield game in any way, shape or form outside of Based DICE's flawless vision.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea id rather have custom servers, but you gotta look at the silver lining sometimes

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
'No explosives'? gently caress you. 'No super-vehicles'? Suck it down. 'Bayonets only'? Ugh. I can't even...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Mount and Blade: Warband: Napoleonic Warfare is already the penultimate Napoleonic era game which can never be topped.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I reserve my judgement until I see what options they have and how it plays out.

Chomp8645 posted:

Mount and Blade: Warband: Napoleonic Warfare is already the penultimate Napoleonic era game which can never be topped.

Trust me, it can in the hands of a developer and producer who give a poo poo and can police their community. I dream, perhaps it could happen again one day. I mean this game is a thing who knows?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I would have guessed it was topped by the ultimate Napoleonic era game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am curious though how they'll do emblems this time around. Think the art style will be different with the symbols themselves? the sharp modern shapes and shades might be a wee bit too modern.

Wooper posted:

I would have guessed it was topped by the ultimate Napoleonic era game.

I loving wish.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A team like EA/DICE would not have the balls to include a musician class who plays the flute and then gets murdered when any other player gets near him.

Or a horse cart guy who only job is to spawn and move a cannon that he doesn't even get to use himself and then gets stuck with a lovely hobbled horse.

e: also they would probably just issue everyone M1 Garands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

A team like EA/DICE would not have the balls to include a musician class who plays the flute and then gets murdered when any other player gets near him.

Or a horse cart guy who only job is to spawn and move a cannon that he doesn't even get to use himself and then gets stuck with a lovely hobbled horse.

While those features were pretty awesome, they are also sort of born more from a grass roots sort of mod movement that can also backfire horribly (same guys no doubt super pissy getting shot with MUSKETS in honourable bayonet on bayonet combat, make bayonets more OP).

Plus DICE/EA are being pretty experimental and thinking outside the box reguarding the setting considering all the bitter bitter complaints about not being true to the history complaints now. gently caress that noise, we've got an armoured train out of the deal and I've played Verdun for like 30 hours. I'm done with WW1 misery edition bring on WW1 fun edition!