Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

So SSSwitch and I finally helicoiled that chowdered up captive nut and got his subahooptie out of my shop. I have it on good authority that he did not die while driving it home.

Brought the bricknose in for an oil change, lifted it up, and found I bought filters for the wrong engine :argh:
"There's no way it's a 5.8," says Slung Blade, standing in the middle of a shop not ten feet from the truck that he could have verified it with.

NOT SAYIN JUST SAYIN

I guess we can use that poo poo on the Drinkin' Lincoln. That will make it even more valuable to the hick with the MX3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

"There's no way it's a 5.8," says Slung Blade, standing in the middle of a shop not ten feet from the truck that he could have verified it with.

NOT SAYIN JUST SAYIN

I guess we can use that poo poo on the Drinkin' Lincoln. That will make it even more valuable to the hick with the MX3.

Ok look maybe I could have looked, sure.

But here:

It wouldn't matter, according to wix they all use this filter, and it's clearly a different diameter than what's already on there, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would laugh until I poo poo blood if that tired-rear end old mill was a Ford big block.

But also WTF what engine is in that thing? Ford apparently only uses one kind of filter for gassers.

$10 on LS

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wait what? All of the gas engines they put in the bricknose take the same filters for everything, except the ones with single fuel tanks got a different fuel filter (because the dual tank trucks have the filter in the switcher valve, single tank trucks got a regular ordinary inline can).

E:f,b

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 12, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pretty much everything for like 40 years used that same filter. The ferrari 288 GTO used the same filter as the 58 edesel ranger, my 73 lincoln, and your f-150

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Not to mention all those weird Rockwell diffs with the gear oil filter, most any car with a relocated oil filter, any hydraulic system designed by a man named Jed, some Toyotas and Volvos...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I need a four post asap. Lifting a truck for an oil change is overkill with a 2 post.

First world problems.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Calgary man finds toughest part of owning 2009 Ford F-150 truck is finding replacement part

:cop:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Fuckin Calgary cops think the world revolves around them :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It is pretty funny that I have no problem finding obscure midyear change poo poo for my Scirocco but Ford literally told this dude to gently caress off with his 2009 truck.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hrmm, so I got bitched out by an oilfield consultant and banned from the lease for get this: Submitting a safety concern.

Met a speeding pickup on a blind corner of a service road not calling km's. Would've been a head-on if I was 3 seconds earlier. I get onto location and report the issue with the safety hand. Go to do my job and realise they have a mobile flare stack on a trailer 15 feet from where I'll be loading (and venting) flammables. I go back and bring it up with the safety hand.

finish up my job and as I'm leaving, the pickup that I encountered earlier drives in. He talks to the medic and then comes running up to my truck yelling and swearing. Apparently the vehicle I reported was the site boss and now he's having a tantrum. He calls my boss yelling and swearing and saying I jumped out of my truck and was cussing him out.

Luckily I have the entire thing on my dashcam proving him a liar and a child. But my boss just gives me poo poo for having a dash cam and now I'm banned from the site that 90% of our work is out of.

I'm not sure if I should just shut up, or go complain to the site boss's boss.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't in this industry

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What is the worst case if you go to boss of boss or lead safety guy? How good is your relationship with your boss? Safety is the one thing that pretty much trumps all nowadays. If something negative happens to you because of reporting it, and you can prove it (like dashcam vid) I can't imagine them firing you but I imagine they could try and make your job miserable if your boss doesn't have your back.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They can blacklist you and pretend it's completely unrelated.

The best strategy would have been to hurt your finger and make everyone on site take a piss test.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

What is the worst case if you go to boss of boss or lead safety guy? How good is your relationship with your boss? Safety is the one thing that pretty much trumps all nowadays. If something negative happens to you because of reporting it, and you can prove it (like dashcam vid) I can't imagine them firing you but I imagine they could try and make your job miserable if your boss doesn't have your back.

In the world of tankers, the things that matter are the truck and the customer. The boss wont go to bat for me, he's having me sit at home trying to starve me to quit while he sends other workers to do my work. It's punishment for causing an inconvenience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That sucks. Unfortunate your boss doesn't have your back better than that.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
It's amazing how hypocritical that is for that kind of thing to go on while on site, but the same company (owner) could require suppliers to have their safety system and statistics audited by a third party (i.e. ISNetworld) to be considered for work.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'd raise hell. If you're hosed anyway, what else do you have to lose?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah it's a pissoff but pretty common place to have stuff like that go on. I've had some bad luck this year with tipping a truck over and now this.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So who's planning to come to my town's 100th anniversary pig roast on Oct 22?

I need to pre purchase tickets for each person. And figure out how many kegs to get.

I'll probably smoke a turkey or three as well, just for fun.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm in unless I'm totally forgetting something I need to do that day.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm in.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

^^^ Awesome, thanks guys, there's two.

SSSwitch's car takes up 40% of my project whiteboard, and I don't even have the coronet on there.

So this looks 100% safe.

:ohdear:

Yeah the flat part of the frame rails are really, really short on this truck, and the arms on the lift really didn't want to line up very well. I didn't lift it any higher, but it worked out ok anyway I guess.

Can you see why I was concerned about this filter? Turns out the PZ-1 has the same gasket and thread as the fatter Wix, so whatever, it's fine.

Minor lists.

So I was planning to do an oil change on the Celica too, since we put enough KMs on it during the rally to mile out the oil and filter, HOWEVER: I moroned up and pulled the bricknose out, brought the Celica in, couldn't find the filter, (we bought a filter the other day, but I couldn't find it ((it was in the glove box)) ) so I took the Celica out again, brought the ford back in, did the headlight bulbs because I forgot to do that before, and then I started playing with the Dodge.

I don't know why I didn't fix the rust spots when I replaced the battery tray in the first place.

Whatever, that's a quick fix.

Little self-etch and we're good.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
Reminder... there's still amateur motorsports in AB. Come on out & drive!

Last ASA AutoX of the year is Sun. Sept. 25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUBukOHTFnc

(smug gopro footage from the last (rainy) event.)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

GrantC posted:

Reminder... there's still amateur motorsports in AB. Come on out & drive!

Last ASA AutoX of the year is Sun. Sept. 25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUBukOHTFnc

(smug gopro footage from the last (rainy) event.)

What's the CAM-C participation like? I have a fat mustang that has been hungering for cones.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

I need to pre purchase tickets for each person. And figure out how many kegs to get.

I for sure am coming down and since there will be a pig roast, the wife will most likely be able to be convinced as well.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

McTinkerson posted:

What's the CAM-C participation like? I have a fat mustang that has been hungering for cones.

Actually, I'm not 100% that we up here in Canada adopted those classes yet.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wonder what my wildcat x would be like in autocross with some road tires and some cheap coil overs to lower it to the ground. (I can't get it too low without resting the current coilovers on the bottom out control)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

GrantC posted:

Actually, I'm not 100% that we up here in Canada adopted those classes yet.

Hooptie Stock it is then.

Hey slidebite, think this is worth $60/day? https://turo.com/car-rental/lethbridge/subaru-impreza/157196?s=EipcjHZ3

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Oh man. Turo is full of temptation.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

1500quidporsche posted:

The old dudes marking parts would cause an HR problem every couple of weeks when I worked there but gently caress they'd pay for their own shift in the first hour they were in there most days. There were cashiers there that had trouble telling if a transmission had a torque converter on it or if they were ringing up a throttle body or a carb, I can only imagine the cash flying out the door now that the old guys are gone.

Our local country auto wreckers was amazing, because on a Saturday just before close at noon, the counter dudes would be almost too drunk to speak, and everything was "twenny bucks". Fist full of expensive sensors, couple of car doors, turbos, whatever, it's a twenny.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

Hooptie Stock it is then.

Hey slidebite, think this is worth $60/day? https://turo.com/car-rental/lethbridge/subaru-impreza/157196?s=EipcjHZ3
I am on Maui right now but do you mean for me? No. I have a Porsche 911 and a fast bike. $60 to thrash someone elses car though? Maybe :getin: What is the insurance situation with Turo?

Slung Blade posted:

Tentatively sure but I need a place to crash especially since we gave away all my camping gear. Can the mayor get me rate at the finest local sleeping establishment for travelers?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I can verify he has an adequately comfortable couch.

And a trailer with locks on the outside of the doors that looked nice

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

$60 to thrash someone elses car though? Maybe :getin: What is the insurance situation with Turo?

That is exactly what I'm getting at. Insurance is provided by Intact in Alberta. I did all the leg work and was a day away from setting up SCH.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think you'd have to be nuts to rent or rent out any manual transmission car, nevermind something that attracts hoons. I guess it's a good way to get a new clutch if yours is on the way out.

https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/203740164

quote:

Driving a manual transmission car without being expert in the use of clutches and manual transmissions. Note: If the drive train of a manual transmission car is damaged, the renter will be presumed to be at fault and will be held fully liable for repair of any damaged components of the car, as further detailed in our clutch policy.

Turo would work and would be awesome in a perfect world, but human beings are absolute loving garbage.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be honest that sounds like a brilliant way to fund a rebuild of the Scirocco's transmission.

Now I just need to find somebody who would willingly drive it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

To be honest that sounds like a brilliant way to fund a rebuild of the Scirocco's transmission.

Now I just need to find somebody who would willingly drive it.

The car has to be newer than 05 or a classic, and has to have under 200,000kms.

i looked at it a while ago because they allow classic cars and you can get mustangs and novas for nothing that could earn $250 a day, but unless you're struggling to pay your car note, it's really just a way to devalue your vehicle, just like uber.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always get the feeling that these types of services are specifically targeted at guys upside down in leases for cars they can't afford. If you're flipping leases constantly you're probably much more tolerant of total strangers making a mess of your car and the extra cash probably helps people justify the fact that you've been upside down on your past three leases.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Tentatively sure but I need a place to crash especially since we gave away all my camping gear. Can the mayor get me rate at the finest local sleeping establishment for travelers?

Yeah no problem, I have one guest queen bed, one guest super single, and two guest singles in the RV, book early to ensure availability.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, how do Tacomas hold up?

This one is local and the specs/price range I'm looking for, so it's tempting, but it's over 250,000kms:
http://yktrader.com/classifieds/details?AN=128915

copy/paste if you don't want to click:

quote:

Type: Used
Year: 2006
Kilometers: 276,000
Make: Toyota
Transmission: Automatic
Model: Tacoma
Drivetrain: 4 x 4
Trim: TRD SPORT
Fuel: Gasoline

GREAT NORTHERN FAMILY TRUCK!

Pros:
Double cab
Long box
Great long range command start
Newer heavy duty leaf springs, windshield, shocks, wipers
Tow package
Bull bar, winch (no 4x4ing) and aftermarket HID lights
Power windows/door locks
Synthetic since new

Cons:
Mileage obviously, but all highway from previous owner (farmer), and hey its a tacoma! Well taken care of, will be good for another 200,000km.
Several scratches and dings (nothing major at all)
This truck runs great and needs ABSOLUTELY nothing. Okay maybe a good cleaning, and I'll do that on the weekend. Just bought SUV, no longer needing truck. Please no lowballing, I've already reduced in consideration of the mileage.

Price: $ 8,800.00

Otherwise I might still fly down to Edmonton in late October for that Ritchie Bros. auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A decade old taco with an automatic and a quarter million km for 9k? Jesus Murphy that's insane.

Totota tax indeed.

E: oh poo poo it's a farmer's truck? I'd stay away from that, they treat their poo poo worse than methed up oil workers.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 16, 2016